Best team comic book run?

Avatar image for deactivated-5bc07bdd89a5f
#1 Posted by deactivated-5bc07bdd89a5f (1343 posts) - - Show Bio

Currently getting heavily into comics; wanted to ask what the best run is for a major team. I'm a big justice league fan and I hear a lot of positive things about Morrison's JLA run, so I was thinking that's where I should start, but do you guys think it's better than Hickman's FF? or his Avengers? Or should I start with Chris Claremont's X-Men? What do you guys think is the best team comic book run? I read the first volume of Johns' Justice league and I thought it was great. Not amazing but great.

#2 Posted by byrd42 (793 posts) - - Show Bio

It is hard to beat X-Men #162-175 by Chris Claremont.

#3 Posted by Kevd4wg (13229 posts) - - Show Bio

@byrd42 said:

It is hard to beat X-Men #162-175 by Chris Claremont.

Yeah pretty much. Other than that, I like Secret Warriors or Ultimates by Hickman or King's Vision if that counts as a team book

#4 Posted by huthimamwa (2605 posts) - - Show Bio

Hickman's Avengers run.

#5 Posted by gunmetalgrey (4891 posts) - - Show Bio

DnA's Guardians of the Galaxy.

#6 Posted by Pipxeroth (9732 posts) - - Show Bio

Fantastic Four and X-Men are imo without question the two best teams in terms of quality runs overall. If you want to read more recent comics, Hickman's F4 is outstanding and Whedon's Astonishing X-Men is great too. If you're okay with reading classic runs, you absolutely have to go with the original F4 by Lee and Kirby, or if you really prefer X-Men then Claremont's run is an obvious choice, but Lee and Kirby's is also really good. For Avengers, Hickman's Avengers/New Avengers runs are great (basically anything Hickman writes is guaranteed to be worth your time honestly). I can't really speak to much about DC runs unfortunately.

#7 Posted by kroczilla (1826 posts) - - Show Bio

Tom king's omega men (limited series though)

Avatar image for deactivated-5b8a3b8a2f17f
#8 Posted by deactivated-5b8a3b8a2f17f (819 posts) - - Show Bio

Jonathan Hickman's Avengers Run or Rick Remender's Uncanny X-Force

Avatar image for the_living_tribunal_24
#9 Posted by The_living_tribunal_24 (6689 posts) - - Show Bio

@piratekingoda: read new mutants(2009), uncanny x-men(2013), annihilators. And if you don't mind cosmic stuff read green lantern corps(2006,2011,2016), new guardians(can't remember the year) and sinestro(2014)

#10 Posted by The_living_tribunal_24 (6689 posts) - - Show Bio

@piratekingoda: oh and hick man's avengers and new avengers is probably the only good avengers run out there, definitely read it.

#11 Posted by ValorKnight (12858 posts) - - Show Bio

Harbinger is hands down the best team book I've ever read.

#12 Posted by JulaSublime999 (221 posts) - - Show Bio

Jonathan Hickman's Avengers Run or Rick Remender's Uncanny X-Force

Exactly. Mostly because Opena is fantastic artist.

Avatar image for life_without_progress
#13 Posted by Life_Without_Progress (25631 posts) - - Show Bio

I have a soft spot for Morrison's JLA and Whedon's Astonishing X-Men.

Ellis' Planetary and Wolfman's New Teen Titans are awesome as well.

#14 Edited by deactivated-5b8a3b8a2f17f (819 posts) - - Show Bio

@piratekingoda:I don't mind saying about avengers having got bad comic book series but it was all about what types of story arcs series they got in there bag especially in 21st century like Mark Millar's Civil War,Matt Fraction's Fear Itself,Bendis's Secret Invasion......

#15 Posted by gunmetalgrey (4891 posts) - - Show Bio

Oh, and Gail Simone's Secret Six, pre-New 52 of course.

#16 Posted by deactivated-5bc07bdd89a5f (1343 posts) - - Show Bio

@byrd42: Haha I guess I should've seen this coming lol yeah that and Hickman's FF seem to be the general consensus, and hey thanks for also giving me those exact issue numbers!(:

#17 Posted by deactivated-5bc07bdd89a5f (1343 posts) - - Show Bio

@gunmetalgrey: I think you're the only one who mentioned Guardians and I thank you for it lol I'd definitely be excited to read some of that!

#18 Posted by deactivated-5bc07bdd89a5f (1343 posts) - - Show Bio

@pipxeroth: I am actually interested in checking out some of Stan Lee's original stuff eventually even though it looks pretty wordy not that I don't know how to read or anything lol

#19 Posted by deactivated-5bc07bdd89a5f (1343 posts) - - Show Bio

@the_living_tribunal_24: Oh wow really? That's a bit surprising to hear haha and no I definitely love cosmic stuff! Tbh I like a bit of everything there's no type of story I hate if it's done well.

#20 Posted by Pipxeroth (9732 posts) - - Show Bio

@piratekingoda: I know some of his stuff looks wordy but F4 at least is paced really well IMO, the issues are by no means difficult to get through like some other classic comics I've read.

#21 Posted by RabumAlal (5413 posts) - - Show Bio

Hickman Avengers and New Avengers, no way you’ll be disappointed.

#22 Posted by PurplePerson (928 posts) - - Show Bio

Of stuff that hasn’t been mentioned yet I’d add:

Busiek’s Avengers.

Waid’s JLA. You might as well read Morrison first though since this comes straight after. Waid also does some fill-in issues during Morrison’s run.

Morrison’s New X-Men. Some fans really don’t like this, but many rank it up there with Whedon’s for the best modern X-Men run.

#23 Posted by deactivated-5bc07bdd89a5f (1343 posts) - - Show Bio

@pipxeroth: Dang that's crazy to hear I might have to check it out soon would you say it's actually better than his Spider-man?

#24 Posted by deactivated-5bc07bdd89a5f (1343 posts) - - Show Bio

@rabumalal: Haha I'm happy to hear that, does it basically start with the whole infinity saga or does Hickman's run start before that?

#25 Edited by jb681131 (3390 posts) - - Show Bio

Eastman and Laird's teenage mutant ninja turtles.

No Caption Provided

#26 Posted by The_living_tribunal_24 (6689 posts) - - Show Bio

@piratekingoda: hick man's avengers runs starts way after the infinity saga so it has good art (infinity saga starts in 90's with thanos quest), avengers and new avengers(2013) has its infinity arc but its not correlated to the infinity saga.

#27 Posted by deactivated-5bc07bdd89a5f (1343 posts) - - Show Bio

@purpleperson: Yeah I saw Waid did JLA after Morrison which is awesome because I've read some of Waid's old Flash stuff (big Flash fan) so I was definitely planning on continuing with his run after Morrison, and if it's Morrison doing X-Men then I'll probably end up liking it as well lol

#28 Posted by deactivated-5bc07bdd89a5f (1343 posts) - - Show Bio

@the_living_tribunal_24: Oh haha yeah the new Infinity arc is what I meant, and he also does secret wars too? If that's true then it kinda does sound like Hickman's Avengers is about as good as it gets.

#29 Posted by The_living_tribunal_24 (6689 posts) - - Show Bio

@piratekingoda: yes his avengers and new avengers(mainly new avengers which deals with the illuminati) run links directly to time runs out/last days which leads to secret wars. It really is the only good avengers imo specially since this avengers team is not only composed of the boring usual avengers but also X-men( new mutants) and new characters like izzy, ex-nihilus, abyss, starbrand and etc. It really is something else.

#30 Posted by CurlyInsaneGuy (422 posts) - - Show Bio

Peter David’s X-Factor (2005-2012)

Al Ewing’s New Avengers (2015)

Hickman’s Avengers.

#31 Posted by kgb725 (19897 posts) - - Show Bio

Runaways , avengers academy , spirits of vengeance

#32 Posted by Pipxeroth (9732 posts) - - Show Bio

@piratekingoda: Eh it's hard to say, I probably personally prefer the stories from his Spider-Man but basically everything else is done better in F4.

#33 Posted by Brainiactic (265 posts) - - Show Bio

Moore's Swamp Thing: head and shoulders above the rest.

#34 Edited by deactivated-5b8a3b8a2f17f (819 posts) - - Show Bio

@piratekingoda said:

@the_living_tribunal_24: Oh haha yeah the new Infinity arc is what I meant, and he also does secret wars too? If that's true then it kinda does sound like Hickman's Avengers is about as good as it gets.

Actually Hickman's Secret Wars(i.e main story arc) is mainly based on FF vs Dr Doom , avengers are not involved in this comics. Hickman's Avengers had already ended in avengers times runs out.Actually it was the first time in 21st century that avengers are indirectly involved in a major story arc....like it happened in mark millar's Civil War ,bendis's secret invasion,world war hulk and etc..................

#35 Posted by JakeFuryV2 (3106 posts) - - Show Bio

Ellis' work on Stormwatch/Authority is among my favorites that hasn't been mentioned yet.

#36 Posted by The_living_tribunal_24 (6689 posts) - - Show Bio

@biswaboxz: any major arc?? Realm of Kings?? War of Kings?? Annihilation and annihilation conquest?? Basically any big cosmic event.

#37 Posted by deactivated-5b8a3b8a2f17f (819 posts) - - Show Bio

@biswaboxz: any major arc?? Realm of Kings?? War of Kings?? Annihilation and annihilation conquest?? Basically any big cosmic event.

But story arcs like War of Kings only involved inhumans or x-men(war between kings , vulcan and black bolt) .....not avengers because avengers had got there own bag of fight going on like world war hulk secret invasion.....etc .Nova came to earth for once, met stark and gone........ In terms of Annihilation and Annihilation Conquest the only one entity that is related earth is ultron. where there is nowhere written that avengers were responsible for sending him to space(i.e phalanx)...........My favorite cosmic event was Annihilation Conquest and Infinity by the way and my favorite Avengers event is Mark Millar's Civil War or Matt Fraction's Fear Itself....... Yours???? And Yeah they got involved in Realm of Kings ....the mighty avengers i guess who got involved in the events of realm of kings..... so i guess this was the second time they got indirectly involved in in the cosmic event.....

#38 Posted by The_living_tribunal_24 (6689 posts) - - Show Bio
#39 Posted by RabumAlal (5413 posts) - - Show Bio

@piratekingoda: It starts with Avengers #1 and New Avengers #1, maybe read Avengers World stuff if you want but not crucial to understanding the main story. Also read the Infinity main titles obviously.

#40 Posted by deactivated-5b8a3b8a2f17f (819 posts) - - Show Bio
#41 Edited by The_living_tribunal_24 (6689 posts) - - Show Bio
Avatar image for handofprometheus
#42 Edited by HandOfPrometheus (887 posts) - - Show Bio

Claremont's Uncanny X-men to Morrison's New X-men to Whedon's Astonishing X-men (Between Claremont and Morrison is the 90s era which I skipped so I have no judgement on those runs.)

Ostrander's Suicide Squad (Seriously overlooked and underrated)

Giffen and Dematteis JLI/JLA (Another overlooked and underrated run)

Brad Meltzer JLA to Dwayne Mcduffie JLA (One of my favorite JL runs more so than Morrison's. McDuffie's starts right after Meltzer's.)

#43 Posted by ZackAttack14 (185 posts) - - Show Bio

Rick Remender Uncanny XForce is good. Hickman F4 is great. And I liked dark Avengers by Bendis.

#44 Posted by deactivated-5bc07bdd89a5f (1343 posts) - - Show Bio

@the_living_tribunal_24: Yeah based off everything you said I think I've decided this is the first one I'll read. I just have to finish what I'm currently on lol

#45 Posted by deactivated-5bc07bdd89a5f (1343 posts) - - Show Bio

@pipxeroth: I'll for sure give it a chance as I want to learn more about them, for as it stands now, I suppose it all just comes down to the characters for me, and the Fantastic Four as characters just don't do it for me the way the Justice league, Avengers, or X-Men have, but I know that's just my personal opinion. My favorite of them so far hands down is Sue. It's especially funny too because they may just have the best rogues gallery in all of comics.

#46 Posted by deactivated-5bc07bdd89a5f (1343 posts) - - Show Bio

@handofprometheus: Hey thanks for mentioning those ones I'm not sure if I've seen much on them, Justice League is probably my favorite team so I'd definitely be excited to read those!(:

#47 Posted by Pipxeroth (9732 posts) - - Show Bio

@piratekingoda: Fair enough, like I and others said you certainly can't go wrong with Claremont's X-Men or Hickman's Avengers, but it's definitely worth trying out at least even just the first 10 issues of F4 to see how you like it. If you really like Sue though it might be worth trying something more recent like Hickman's F4 first, since Sue didn't really get as awesome as she is until later on imo, in terms of both character and power.

#48 Edited by deactivated-5bc07bdd89a5f (1343 posts) - - Show Bio

@pipxeroth: Oh thanks for letting me know on that then I suppose that is probably the first FF stuff I will check out(: Also because from what I've seen the artwork looks amazing lol