Best show you would be willing to cancel to get Spectacular Spider-Man back?

• 54 results
#1 Posted by shroudofsorrow (6195 posts) - - Show Bio

I have never, ever gotten over SSM getting cancelled after a paltry 26 episodes. I used to whine about it non-stop in the early 2010s. That in mind, I call on my fellow fans of Spectacular Spider-Man here on the Vine to say what shows they would be prepared to cancel to get it back. And as the title implies, the bestshow that's on that you can think of, not just any old show you hate and want gone.

#2 Edited by shroudofsorrow (6195 posts) - - Show Bio

Ghostodoofus2: Thoughts? Your "would you cancel x to get y back"? questions gave me the idea for this.

#3 Posted by godzilla44 (7812 posts) - - Show Bio

Agents of Shield

#4 Posted by shroudofsorrow (6195 posts) - - Show Bio

@godzilla44: That would be a VERY easy sacrifice for me, as I've never really liked AoS.

#5 Edited by KillBilly (3097 posts) - - Show Bio

Westworld. Maybe.

#6 Posted by DSTREET45 (5320 posts) - - Show Bio

Normally I wouldn't cancel AOS but Spectacular Spider-Man was too good to cancel on a cliffhanger. I would probably cancel AOS after Season 5 since that makes the most sense in terms of an ending.

#7 Posted by shroudofsorrow (6195 posts) - - Show Bio

Normally I wouldn't cancel AOS but Spectacular Spider-Man was too good to cancel on a cliffhanger. I would probably cancel AOS after Season 5 since that makes the most sense in terms of an ending.

Yeah, that's fair.

#8 Posted by Supermanthor (22700 posts) - - Show Bio
#9 Posted by shroudofsorrow (6195 posts) - - Show Bio

Myself, I think it would be The Walking Dead, which I think has really run its course at this point.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d4e40f44920a
#10 Posted by deactivated-5d4e40f44920a (1048 posts) - - Show Bio

^

#11 Posted by KillBilly (3097 posts) - - Show Bio

I'd cancel any CB show outside of Legion for more Spectacular Spiderman honestly.

#12 Posted by The_Hajduk (7029 posts) - - Show Bio

I too have still not gotten over SSM being canceled. I would probably cancel any show that I love that is currently ongoing, although there aren’t many of those left.

I am debating whether or not I would cancel CW Crisis on Infinite Earths.

#13 Posted by CocaColaMan (1478 posts) - - Show Bio

Any of them.

#14 Posted by Rockette (6459 posts) - - Show Bio

Myself, I think it would be The Walking Dead, which I think has really run its course at this point.

WORD.

#15 Posted by JayHay (35 posts) - - Show Bio

None because i never watched it to begin with.

#16 Posted by Subline (9347 posts) - - Show Bio

Spectacular Spider-Man wasn't even that good, so overrated. Unpopular opinion but I preferred USM.

#17 Posted by The_Magister (14953 posts) - - Show Bio

@subline said:

Spectacular Spider-Man wasn't even that good, so overrated. Unpopular opinion but I preferred USM.

#18 Posted by webinyoureye11 (5903 posts) - - Show Bio

@subline said:

No Caption Provided

#19 Posted by ByondEon (2313 posts) - - Show Bio

CW Flash

#20 Edited by KillBilly (3097 posts) - - Show Bio

@the_magister said:
@subline said:

I thought Ultimate Spiderman was mediocre to poor honestly while Spectacular Spiderman may beat out the 90's series as the best animated Spiderman series we've ever gotten imo.

#21 Posted by shroudofsorrow (6195 posts) - - Show Bio

3 people in a row favoring USM over SSM? I need a drink.

@the_magister said:
@subline said:

I thought Ultimate Spiderman was mediocre to poor honestly while Spectacular Spiderman may beat out the 90's series as the best Spiderman Animated Series we've ever gotten imo.

Agreed, save that for me there's no question about it; I vastly prefer SSM to the 90s cartoon. No Electro as the Red Skull's son or Black Cat with SSS. -_-

#22 Posted by Pipxeroth (9731 posts) - - Show Bio

Not sure there's a show I wouldn't cancel for it

#23 Posted by shroudofsorrow (6195 posts) - - Show Bio

Not sure there's a show I wouldn't cancel for it

Well, there are a few that are still trying to finish their stories that I think deserve to (3Below, Dragon Prince, etc.). But I respect your love of SSM. I like your choice of avatar also. The Thing is awesome ;)

#24 Edited by shroudofsorrow (6195 posts) - - Show Bio

Speaking for myself, having just rewatched the entire series again over the last few days, I can safely say I would absolutely cancel any of the following to get SSM back:

• The Walking Dead
  • The Flash
  • Supergirl
  • Westworld
  • Black Lightning (yep, even this one)

Honestly, I'm even inclined to say Legends of Tomorrow despite how much I love that show. Might cancel Cable Girls too, much as I've been loving that one.

#25 Posted by mexcomics2078 (3398 posts) - - Show Bio

The flash

#26 Posted by PenguinDust (9736 posts) - - Show Bio

Honestly I don’t think I ever saw it, but speaking of short-lived Spider-Man TV shows, remember Spider-Man: The New Animated Series from the early 2000’s with Neil Patrick Harris? It ran on MTV and some Canadian network. It was all CG like Nickelodeon’s teen Iron Man Adventures series.

Avatar image for supermanfan1938
#27 Posted by Supermanfan1938 (404 posts) - - Show Bio

Nah, revivals usually suck. Like Young Justice and X-Files. But I'd cancel a lot of shows just for the sake of cancelling them, like The Walking Dead, Young Justice, CW Shows, cause they all have dipped in quality or never had quality to begin with. I'd cancel Westworld, Black Mirror and Stranger Things as well cause these shows are overrated.

Avatar image for thespartanb345t
#28 Posted by TheSpartanB345T (5037 posts) - - Show Bio

I'd cancel any CB show outside of Legion for more Spectacular Spiderman honestly.

No Caption Provided

Avatar image for thespartanb345t
#29 Posted by TheSpartanB345T (5037 posts) - - Show Bio

Honestly I don’t think I ever saw it, but speaking of short-lived Spider-Man TV shows, remember Spider-Man: The New Animated Series from the early 2000’s with Neil Patrick Harris? It ran on MTV and some Canadian network. It was all CG like Nickelodeon’s teen Iron Man Adventures series.

Yeah, it was good, but also strangely mature for a Spider-Man cartoon. Probably 3rd best after 90s show and Spectacular Spider-Man, imo.

#30 Posted by KillBilly (3097 posts) - - Show Bio

@killbilly said:

No Caption Provided

Oh! Thanks for reminding me. Now that "The Boys" has come out I probably wouldn't cancel that either. ;)

#31 Posted by shroudofsorrow (6195 posts) - - Show Bio

@supermanfan1938: I completely disagree with you there. Especially regarding Young Justice. Season 3 has been my favorite season so far.

Avatar image for supermanfan1938
#32 Posted by Supermanfan1938 (404 posts) - - Show Bio

@supermanfan1938: I completely disagree with you there. Especially regarding Young Justice. Season 3 has been my favorite season so far.

Really? Pacing is off, there are too many plot threads and characters. The main cast is pretty boring. The animation is lifeless.

#33 Edited by modernww2fare (7397 posts) - - Show Bio

@shroudofsorrow said:

Really? Pacing is off, there are too many plot threads and characters. The main cast is pretty boring.

The animation is lifeless.

Glad I'm not the only one who noticed. Season 1 completely puts it to shame in terms of animation smoothness

#34 Posted by shroudofsorrow (6195 posts) - - Show Bio

@supermanfan1938: I don't think the pacing is off at all. I binged several episodes in a row and was pretty engaged all the way through. I also think the show does a good job of juggling all of its plots and characters, which are not as separate as they appear at first class. Much of what happens in YJO is connected, and honestly, that was true of the first two seasons also. They also had a huge number of characters and plot threads. I don't think Season 3 is worse in that regard, and I also don't think its ambition is a weakness.

#35 Edited by KillBilly (3097 posts) - - Show Bio

@shroudofsorrow said:

@supermanfan1938: I also think the show does a good job of juggling all of its plots and characters, which are not as separate as they appear at first class. Much of what happens in YJO is connected, and honestly, that was true of the first two seasons also. They also had a huge number of characters and plot threads. I don't think Season 3 is worse in that regard, and I also don't think its ambition is a weakness.

I personally think season 3 has been a bit more scattered tbh. The first two seasons felt more focused and the tone of the show was more serious with moments of lightheartedness, this third season has been all over the place both in terms of the story they're trying to tell and tonally.

#36 Posted by shroudofsorrow (6195 posts) - - Show Bio

@killbilly: Again though, a lot of those disparate elements are mostly connected to one another; the Outsiders, Team, and Justice League are all united against the Light/Apokolips alliance. That doesn't feel too bad to me. As I said, I like the ambition and large cast of the third season.

Have you been liking it at all? IGN's given it good reviews, and I mostly agree with their assessments.

#37 Edited by KillBilly (3097 posts) - - Show Bio

@shroudofsorrow: I'm enjoying it still, just not as much as I did the previous seasons.

#38 Posted by shroudofsorrow (6195 posts) - - Show Bio

@killbilly: Fair enough. Myself, I would rank the seasons like so:

1. Season 3

2. Season 1

3. Season 2

I didn't find The Reach as interesting as villains, so I wasn't as invested in the conflict in Season 2.

#39 Edited by KillBilly (3097 posts) - - Show Bio

@shroudofsorrow: I can see putting season 3 over season 2 ( even if I disagree ) as the Reach was a low point for that season. But season 1 actually focused on the team dynamics and the struggles of individual characters. I don't know, season 3 just seems more shallow to me in that regard.

#40 Edited by shroudofsorrow (6195 posts) - - Show Bio

@killbilly: What about the struggles of Halo and Geo-Force? Those are individual struggles, and they have a dynamic. There's also Black Lightning's inner struggles too.

I am glad to know I wasn't the only one underwhelmed by the Reach though. I mean, seeing Black Beetle pound several of the heroes at once was fun, but otherwise I wasn't that impressed. They felt vaguely like less cool DC Skrulls.

Also, another reason I love Season 3 more than 2: more Nightwing action.

#41 Posted by KillBilly (3097 posts) - - Show Bio

@shroudofsorrow: I don't think the show's given them enough spotlight to make me care about them as much as I did for the character's in previous seasons. It's not helped along by the show going with a more comedic tone that tends to ruin the mood and atmosphere of more serious scenes.

I don't actually enjoy the portrayal of Dick's character in Season 3 that much. It seems like the show is trying to pander to audience's perception of who he is rather then the actual character.

#42 Posted by shroudofsorrow (6195 posts) - - Show Bio

@killbilly: How so? He doesn't seem that much different to me.

Also, didn't Seasons 1 and 2 also have a lot of comedic moments? Personally, I like the Season 3 tries to balance those humorous moments with more adult and serious content (such as Harper Row's being from an abusive household and human trafficking).

#43 Edited by KillBilly (3097 posts) - - Show Bio

@shroudofsorrow: IIRC one of the episodes from season 3 focused on Dick, Roy and a bunch of other characters delivering a package while fighting off super-villains. Stuff like that seems unrealistic within the bounds of the YJ universe given how it had been previously portrayed. Almost like they were trying to appease those who didn't like the more serious tone of previous seasons.

I'm not up to date on the current season though so I'll have to see if that remains the case as it goes on.

#44 Posted by shroudofsorrow (6195 posts) - - Show Bio

@killbilly: Well, this is a world well accustomed to people with powers living among them. It makes sense that they would be normalized enough to serve as security for a delivery service.

Also, how is that not true to Dick Grayson's character/pandering to audience expectations of him?

#45 Edited by KillBilly (3097 posts) - - Show Bio

@shroudofsorrow: I mean, I agree that that should reasonably be the case, but heroes or powered character in DC are usually never portrayed in those circumstances so it just feel off to me. Also as their interactions seemed like they were manufactured so that they could seem more relatable to a modern audience.

Like, the interactions in previous seasons had comedic moments but now it feels like an entire episode is a skit.

Avatar image for blackspidey2099
#46 Posted by blackspidey2099 (7079 posts) - - Show Bio

I'd cancel every single CBTV show except for Young Justice and Agents of SHIELD.

#47 Posted by shroudofsorrow (6195 posts) - - Show Bio

@blackspidey2099: I'd cancel AoS too, though to be honest I've never liked Agents of SHIELD.

Avatar image for blackspidey2099
#48 Posted by blackspidey2099 (7079 posts) - - Show Bio

@shroudofsorrow: I see. It's the best LA comic book show I've seen so I wouldn't cancel it.

Avatar image for indomitableregal
#49 Posted by IndomitableRegal (17349 posts) - - Show Bio

Never watched SSM, so...technically nothing?

#50 Posted by 1kingjerry (962 posts) - - Show Bio

Agents of SHIELD - Tho I guess it's already cancelled lol