Best Comic Book Covers of the Week: 7/31/15

inferiorego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 324

User Lists: 12

Edited By inferiorego  Staff

It's Friday and that means it's time to check out which comic book covers this week were some of the raddest out there. We got some pretty awesome ones for you this week, so let's get right down to business and enjoy some awesome art.

RED SONJA #17 by Jenny Frison

No Caption Provided

First up is RED SONJA #17 by Jenny Frison.

GHOSTBUSTERS: GET REAL #2 by Doc Shaner

No Caption Provided

Here's GHOSTBUSTERS: GET REAL #2 by Doc Shaner.

DAREDEVIL #17 by Chris Samnee and Matthew Wilson

No Caption Provided

Next up is DAREDEVIL #17 by Chris Samnee and Matthew Wilson.

BLACK WIDOW #20 by Phil Noto

No Caption Provided

Next up is BLACK WIDOW #20 by Phil Noto.

NINJAK #5 by Raul Allen

No Caption Provided

Here's NINJAK #5 by Raul Allen.

AGE OF ULTRON VS MARVEL ZOMBIES #2 by Alex Maleev

No Caption Provided

Next is AGE OF ULTRON VS MARVEL ZOMBIES #2 by Alex Maleev.

STAR WARS #7 by Simone Bianchi

No Caption Provided

Finally, here's STAR WARS #7 by Simone Bianchi.

There you have it! Let us know in the comment section below what covers you loved! Also, check us out on Twitter and let us know on Wednesdays and Thursdays what covers you loved using #CVCovers. See you folks next week!

noj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 0

Seriously? That Daredevil cover is nothing special. Its pretty boring in fact.

dan12456

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2  Edited By dan12456

That Red Sonja cover is the perfect example of why the character is horrible male fantasy bs. It's snowing, let her wear some dang clothes.

_ANDY_CAN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

The riddler I mean daredevil..

Avatar image for madeinbangladesh
MadeinBangladesh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 59

User Lists: 172

ninjak cover wins

~MiB

Avatar image for atheistknowledge
AtheistKnowledge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dan12456 said:

That Red Sonja cover is the perfect example of why the character is horrible male fantasy bs. It's snowing, let her wear some dang clothes.

Triggered.

John-PH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No Caption Provided

Gotham by Midnight wins for me

Avatar image for currentthor2015
CurrentThor2015

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Black Widow won it for me this week, great finale cover

Avatar image for currentthor2015
CurrentThor2015

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dan12456 said:

Triggered.

BetaRaybdw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#10  Edited By BetaRaybdw

@dan12456 Red Sonja is always like that. that is what Red Sonja readers expect and want. If the artist started dressing her in the middle ages equivalent of a business suit sales would drop. RS fills a niche, if you don't like it , don't buy it.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Personally I'm drawn to how Frisson drew the face, particularly the lips and eyes, it harkens back to the 70's era RS covers drawn by Frank Thorne.

my faves this week:

dan12456

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dan12456 Red Sonja is always like that. that is what Red Sonja readers expect and want. If the artist started dressing her in the middle ages equivalent of a business suit sales would drop. RS fills a niche, if you don't like it , don't buy it.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

And Red Sonja readers are sexist losers. It's impossible to justify it as anything but classless.

BetaRaybdw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dan12456: you've been reported to the mods you are out of line

RevivalMH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dan12456: Wow. That's funny because there are actually plenty of females that read the book in my anecdotal experience. Whats also funny is that this cover was drawn by a woman.

BetaRaybdw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dan12456: Wow. That's funny because there are actually plenty of females that read the book in my anecdotal experience. Whats also funny is that this cover was drawn by a woman.

Hi Five

pikahyper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 579

#15 pikahyper  Moderator

I think that Black Widow cover is the best thing Phil Noto has ever done.

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

Rubear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dan12456 said:
@betaraybdw said:

And Red Sonja readers are sexist losers. It's impossible to justify it as anything but classless.

Your tastes are very specific...) SJW?

Avatar image for 51stpresidentofplanetneutral
51stPresidentofPlanetNeutral

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

@pikahyper said:

I think that Black Widow cover is the best thing Phil Noto has ever done.

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided

These four. I've yet to a bad cover for Ninjak, IDW's TMNT, or CAofS.

dan12456

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By dan12456

@rubear said:

Your tastes are very specific...) SJW?

Maybe a bit sure, but I'm not actually that bad compared to some. I don't generally complain about sexism in books and stuff. But at the point where a book is literally going to put a character in a situation where they would legitimately die due to the lack of clothing and then still refuse to let them cover up blows my mind. The level of objectification in that situation is crazy and it has no story value or anything. It's utter tactless imo.

@betaraybdw said:

@dan12456: you've been reported to the mods you are out of line

That's fine I'm perfectly fine talking to a mod about it if they agree it was out of line, but I doubt they will. I didn't call out anyone specific on the site and it's not like there isn't a very vocal opposition to Red Sonja and the fan base's lackadaisical attitude towards the issues. Obviously my second comment wasn't actually useful, but it's not offensive to call a group of people sexist, especially when there is a large body of writing arguing that exact stance.

But anyways not really the place for this discussion, I just commented because it's a thread about the covers this week and I don't like that one. This isn't the place for a larger discussion on objectification in comics (also why I responded flippantly to your comment betaray)

Rubear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dan12456: I gotta tell you one thing. The hole idea that there is some "objectification" is paranoidal crap)

RoboShark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

That Widow cover is the best cover I've seen since Jock's Detective Comics Joker cover.

Avatar image for robertelsmore77
RobertElsmore77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Why can't there be room for all? Just because you don't like something dan12456 for whatever perfectly valid (in your mind and probably many others) reasons, doesn't mean you have to crap on those who like something outside of your preferences. Is anyone being harmed? Will people be more misogynistic because they like to look at a hot red head in a metal bikini? Censorship sucks and there is room for all (outside of hate crimes of course, though some would argue the toss on that too).

Incidentally I don't even like Red Sonja much, but I dislike people pushing their own tastes on others even more.

akbogert

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 31

#22  Edited By akbogert

I like that this managed to turn into an argument over whether or not Red Sonja is an acceptable book to read or not. I would offer that Gail Simone would not likely be so enthusiastic about the character if she (or many of the other female creators involved with Red Sonja books as of late) believed it was nothing but neatly-packaged misogyny.

---

That Black Widow cover is indeed my favorite of the picks in the CV post. I feel like it does a great job of encapsulating not just an issue, but the run, and many even Natasha as a character -- Marvel should consider releasing that one as a poster.

dan12456

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Why can't there be room for all? Just because you don't like something dan12456 for whatever perfectly valid (in your mind and probably many others) reasons, doesn't mean you have to crap on those who like something outside of your preferences. Is anyone being harmed? Will people be more misogynistic because they like to look at a hot red head in a metal bikini? Censorship sucks and there is room for all (outside of hate crimes of course, though some would argue the toss on that too).

Incidentally I don't even like Red Sonja much, but I dislike people pushing their own tastes on others even more.

I completely thing pervasive attitudes of sexism etc in society are harmful to all sorts of people. Especially if they reach critical mass to be seen as acceptable. In fact I think its common sense that media perpetuating these things is a very large part of why these attitudes still exist.

Avatar image for robertelsmore77
RobertElsmore77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By RobertElsmore77

This encapsulates why I don't have a problem with men or women prancing around in comics in skimpy attire (like the classical mythology they are channelling):

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-33750417

Topless 'Bare with us' protest rally in Canada

No Caption Provided

To my mind that sign (being held by a woman no less) sums it up.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a98cd905fc97
deactivated-5a98cd905fc97

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

@robertelsmore77: Men and women are most certainly equal, but they are different in several ways. Through scientific study, we know that men's brains react to certain visual stimuli more strongly than women. Obviously, any decent, self-controlled man will be able to behave himself, but there are plenty who are not so strong-willed and moral. Women going topless is playing with fire, and it is rather idealistic to not face reality, acknowledging that it would bring no small amount of harm. While nudity can have non-sexual aspects, it is also a sexual thing.

Having said that, I really don't think a comic book cover is at quite the same level. Comics may sometimes objectify women, but it is still up to the reader to decide whether it means that men or women should be treated as objects.