Best Comic Book Covers of the Week: 3/20/15

• 55 results
Posted by inferiorego (25738 posts) - - Show Bio

Before you can even read your favorite comic book, you have to check out the cover, unless you're one of those weirdos that rips the covers off of their books before reading. Anyway, each week, we like to check out and display what the staff of Comic Vine considers to be the coolest in covers. Let's get right down to business.

BATGIRL #40 by Cliff Chiang

No Caption Provided

First up, this week, is BATGIRL #40 by Cliff Chiang which is the movie poster variant paying homage to Purple Rain.

IVAR, TIMEWALKER #3 by Michael Walsh

No Caption Provided

Next up is IVAR, TIMEWALKER #3 by Michael Walsh.

PRINCESS LEIA #2 by Alex Maleev

No Caption Provided

Here's PRINCESS LEIA #2 by Alex Maleev.

SUPERGIRL #40 by Marco D'Alfonso

No Caption Provided

Next is SUPERGIRL #40 by Marco D'Alfonso, which pays tribute to The Wizard of Oz.

GUARDIANS TEAM-UP #3 by Andrea Sorrentino

No Caption Provided

Finally, here's GUARDIANS TEAM-UP #3 by Andrea Sorrentino.

Twitter Pick: C.O.W.L. #9 by Trevor McCarthy

No Caption Provided

The fine folks of Twitter picked C.O.W.L. #9 by Trevor McCarthy.

Let us know in the comment section below what covers you loved! Also, check us out on Twitter and let us know on Wednesdays and Thursdays what covers you loved using #CVCovers. See you all next week with a new batch of covers!

Staff
#1 Posted by goonage (2085 posts) - - Show Bio

Loved the Supergirl cover, although I am disappointed that Cy-Supes isn't The Tin Man.

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
#2 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (45774 posts) - - Show Bio
No Caption Provided

Avatar image for allstarsuperman
#3 Posted by AllStarSuperman (43739 posts) - - Show Bio
#4 Edited by 2cool4fun (2418 posts) - - Show Bio
Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
#5 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (45774 posts) - - Show Bio
#6 Posted by Outside_85 (23518 posts) - - Show Bio
#7 Posted by AwesomePerson (2767 posts) - - Show Bio
Avatar image for darknightspideyfanboy
#8 Posted by darknightspideyfanboy (2623 posts) - - Show Bio
Avatar image for madeinbangladesh
#9 Posted by MadeinBangladesh (12493 posts) - - Show Bio
#10 Posted by pikahyper (18481 posts) - - Show Bio
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

Avatar image for quinnofthestoneage
#11 Posted by QuinnoftheStoneAge (3663 posts) - - Show Bio
No Caption Provided

#12 Posted by Surza7 (353 posts) - - Show Bio
#13 Posted by pikahyper (18481 posts) - - Show Bio
#14 Posted by skyroid (2646 posts) - - Show Bio

@jonny_anonymous: I really like cover, brutality should not be ignored it should be known so we don't let it happen. Back in middle school this kids parent came to school and requested that there son not be taught about the holocaust because it's not something the world should know, and my teacher who I respect said"shall we ignore all that we do wrong"?. Well the world needs to know all the bad things it does instead of ignoring them.

I hope the variant covers comes back.

#15 Posted by RisingBean (9867 posts) - - Show Bio

And this is the problem right here. That scan didn't break forum rules. There is no reason to flag it unless you dislike it and feel it must be hidden away. I didn't realize you agreed with the censorship police. I'm pretty disappointed at the thought.

Avatar image for madeinbangladesh
#16 Posted by MadeinBangladesh (12493 posts) - - Show Bio
#17 Posted by pikahyper (18481 posts) - - Show Bio

@madeinbangladesh: lol,they shouldn't have cancelled it, publishers give it to easily these days.

#18 Posted by gmanfromheck (42524 posts) - - Show Bio

Hey, how about everyone stay on topic here? That cover was meant for June. It has nothing to do with this week's covers. Thanks.

#19 Posted by SinnTek1 (2314 posts) - - Show Bio
#20 Posted by DurrDevil (24 posts) - - Show Bio

Any banned this week?

#22 Posted by Skit (5292 posts) - - Show Bio
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

#23 Posted by lagozzino (555 posts) - - Show Bio

@jonny_anonymous: Will never understand why it got cancelled...

Because it would make an absolutely fantastic cover to a Joker book, but a terrible cover for a Batgirl book that was just retooled into a more lighthearted series targeted at a young adult audience. Its just a conflict in marketing.

Anyway, speaking of Batgirl covers that actually did come out this week, its so weird seeing that Purple Rain parody show up on the cover of a book in 2015, considering Chiang originally posted it online as fanart years and years ago.

#24 Posted by lagozzino (555 posts) - - Show Bio

@skit said:
No Caption Provided

Basically all of Raphael's Batwoman covers have been gold. Striking and minimalist and creative. While a departure from the style JH Williams' covers, they are a very worthy successor. Now if only they could have gotten him to do the interiors as well as the covers...

#25 Posted by mak13131313 (1601 posts) - - Show Bio

Purple Rain rocks and so does that cover! All great picks this week.

Avatar image for fuzzylittlerodent
#26 Posted by FuzzyLittleRodent (2087 posts) - - Show Bio

@jonny_anonymous: Oh, for the love of god. I know everyone is butthurt over this cover, but this is completely out of place considering the whole joker theme will only be in june

#27 Posted by Outside_85 (23518 posts) - - Show Bio
@g_man said:

Hey, how about everyone stay on topic here? That cover was meant for June. It has nothing to do with this week's covers. Thanks.

Just pointing out that it's not a cover any more, and yet is probably the most important cover-not-to-be this week.

Avatar image for scarlet_spider_forever
#28 Posted by Scarlet_Spider_Forever (168 posts) - - Show Bio
Avatar image for deathpoolthet1000
#29 Posted by DeathpooltheT1000 (18984 posts) - - Show Bio
No Caption Provided

Avatar image for deactivated-5d2b83d5a0d79
#31 Posted by deactivated-5d2b83d5a0d79 (12104 posts) - - Show Bio

Lol, I knew the comments section would be filled with a bunch of bawling and moaning over that cover.

Avatar image for allstarsuperman
#32 Posted by AllStarSuperman (43739 posts) - - Show Bio
#33 Posted by RisingBean (9867 posts) - - Show Bio

@allstarsuperman: Good. Because you're a high profile community member,and save for your over-enthusiasm for Hit Girl, I think you have much to contribute to the CV community. I thought you had jumped ship and joined the evil empire because of that comment. Thankfully it's just a case of intent or sarcasm or something not being apparent over the internet.

#35 Posted by Grey56 (823 posts) - - Show Bio

@skyroid said:

@jonny_anonymous: I really like cover, brutality should not be ignored it should be known so we don't let it happen. Back in middle school this kids parent came to school and requested that there son not be taught about the holocaust because it's not something the world should know, and my teacher who I respect said"shall we ignore all that we do wrong"?. Well the world needs to know all the bad things it does instead of ignoring them.

This is very well said, and thank you for posting it.

#36 Edited by GalacticFork (468 posts) - - Show Bio
@skyroid said:

Uh... So... was the teacher going to teach about the holocaust by an analogous painting? One with Hitler triumphantly taunting one his victims? This cover is how you want to "teach" about the killing joke? There's a cool retouched (actually, the only things changed are the eyes and mouth) version that turns Batgirl from a prone, broken victim begging the audience to save her (you know, just the kind of thing you want to see of the hero of the comic you're reading), to a pissed off hero ready to fight back.

#38 Posted by GalacticFork (468 posts) - - Show Bio

@skyroid: Yeeeah... I'm not sure how that has anything to do with the Joker cover. And who said anything about "ignoring brutality"?

#39 Edited by skyroid (2646 posts) - - Show Bio

@galacticfork: You have nothing against the cover?

And I actually wrote my entire life for zero reading

#40 Posted by GalacticFork (468 posts) - - Show Bio

@skyroid: I have lots of things against the cover. Not because I want to "ignore brutality"(?) though. There are ways to not ignore brutality, without... you know, glorifying it. Especially within the context of it being Batgirl's book, she isn't a sidekick in it. She's the hero. The tone of the books are very different.

You bring up the brutality the homeless face (awesome raising money for them by the way) but the way the cover "doesn't ignore brutality" would be more like if someone showed the hardships of the homeless by painting a mural of a rich dude standing on the neck of a homeless person while counting tons of cash on the wall of a homeless shelter.

#41 Edited by skyroid (2646 posts) - - Show Bio

@galacticfork: You seem like you care alot about batgirl comic.

Never seen the hero of a comic shown as the victim of a villain before? The cover shows batgirl scared, because heroes do get scared, not just sidekicks, awhile joker holds her, with one hand holding a gun.

I am not sure how it's glorifying as it seems very much realistic.

There are comics with worse scenes, such as cannibalism. Maybe you should complain about the other covers to?

#42 Posted by TheLurker (990 posts) - - Show Bio
#43 Posted by skyroid (2646 posts) - - Show Bio

Super girl is the best one here.

#44 Edited by Skit (5292 posts) - - Show Bio

@thelurker: I'm assuming my current one(I changed it twice yesterday), which is Handsome Jack's face/mask dipped in gold. If you're talking about the previous ones then it's either Black Jack or unicorn Barry.

#45 Posted by Fuego123 (10 posts) - - Show Bio
No Caption Provided

Best cover of 2015

#46 Posted by lagozzino (555 posts) - - Show Bio
#47 Posted by TheComedian_ (1730 posts) - - Show Bio
#48 Posted by superhoodie (614 posts) - - Show Bio

My favorite covers

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

#49 Posted by Etheral_Dreams (6116 posts) - - Show Bio
#50 Edited by NixNightbird (33 posts) - - Show Bio

Puritans are trying to ruin comics again.

This Batgirl crap is just Seduction of the Innocent all over again. How about, if you don't like the cover, you simply don't buy it? Why must everyone else deal with censorship because some people can't separate fiction from reality?

This is why I won't buy any more DC comics. Caving in to would-be book burners doesn't bode well for a company that publishes books.