Best Battles in New Comics: 08/09/13

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

Edited By k4tzm4n  Moderator

Oh, man, this week's brawls are not for the faint of heart at all. We have a bloody battle in a mall which involves all kinds of stabbing and smashing, a group fight with vicious kicks to the groin and last but certainly not least, arrows doing very painful things to very unfortunate people. Ready for an overdose of action? Of course you are.

Did your favorite melee not get a mention? Well, it's possible we didn't read that issue, so be sure to make suggestions in the official Best Battles Discussion Thread from now on. We review that before writing this weekly feature and do our best to get our hands on the issues suggested!

*This edition has a decent amount of gore and even swearing. If that's not your cup of tea or if you're super young and sneaking on the internet, go away right now*

Thanks to BURN THE ORPHANAGE #1 for the image I'm definitely going to use in every intro from now on.
Thanks to BURN THE ORPHANAGE #1 for the image I'm definitely going to use in every intro from now on.

Green Arrow & Shado vs. Count Vertigo & his goons (GREEN ARROW #23)

GREEN ARROW continues to be beyond awesome thanks to its brilliant creative team. With Jeff Lemire coming up with these super thrilling moments and Andrea Sorrentino and Marcelo Maiolo fleshing them in a visually stunning manner, this is a book that has been consistently grand since they jump onboard back at issue #17. So, what makes the latest issue worthy of the segment? Well, Green Arrow and Shado are still on the run from Count Vertigo and 3 of his very unlucky goons happen to stumble upon the duo. What happens next is a painful yet gorgeous display of why arrows rock.

I feel sorry for the third dude.
I feel sorry for the third dude.

Count Vertigo wouldn't be much of a villian if he just let his forces do all of his work for him, right? The foe steps up to the plate and decides to go after the two characters himself. However, in the last issue, an EMP arrow messed up the device which seemingly generates and controls his dizzying ability. With enough power left for only one attack, Vertigo sends a projectile soaring at Oliver, a man who has also sent an arrow flying right back at him. The two projectiles pass one another and Ollie's piercing weapon takes off a chunk of the bad guy's ear. The Justice Leaguer, however, suffers a far more direct hit and once again, the art team does a PHENOMENAL job with it.

I can't look away. It's magnificent.
I can't look away. It's magnificent.

Oliver may be unable to continue the fight for now, but Shado is more than ready to kick some Vertigo booty. She's proven herself to be more than efficient with a bow and now she gets the opportunity to showcase her talents yet again. Shado makes swift work of one final armed goon with a brutal shot through the guy's forehead. Count Vertigo's assistant then suffers an abruptly yet hilarious end. I mean, the guy died picking up his Lord's ear and talking about how he can fix it. What an embarrassing way to go.

I used to work for Count Vertigo but then I took an arrow to the head.
I used to work for Count Vertigo but then I took an arrow to the head.

What happens to Count Vertigo next? How does Richard Dragon fit into all this? Find out by BUYING the issue because it's worth every penny. This is without question my favorite book by DC right now.

Luther Strode & Petra vs. Jack the Ripper (THE LEGEND OF LUTHER STRODE #6)

A finale in a Luther Strode book can only mean one thing: it's time for a boss battle. As always, Justin Jordan, Tradd Moore and Felipe Sobreiro uppercut it out of the freaking park. We've already seen Luther and Jack the Ripper square off, but it was beyond glorious and I'm pretty sure the creative team knows that. So, they generously decided to give us a second helping of these titans facing off.

HOLY CINEMATIC AWESOMENESS, BATMAN!
HOLY CINEMATIC AWESOMENESS, BATMAN!

Only a few moves in and a clash between these characters has already caused a hysterical amount of property damage. This is just the warm up, though. You see, showing off their raw strength and speed with these powerful blunt strikes is good fun and all, but it's not long before Jordan makes Jack the Ripper put those horrifying knives to use. If you're squeamish, you may want to leave now because OUCH KNIVES INTO BOTH HANDS.

Hey Justin Jordan, how about a prequel comic starring Jack? Pretty please?
Hey Justin Jordan, how about a prequel comic starring Jack? Pretty please?

"Where's Petra?" I'm glad you asked, random reader. At this point, Petra puts a few rounds into Jack, giving Strode a much needed moment to collect himself. Although, the moment is quite short because it's not long before Jack rips off the legs of body in the mall and then throws them (broken and pointy bones first) at the two. Not sure if you noticed, but I had to use italics to emphasize how insanely absurd yet astonishing that is. To make matters even more over the top, Strode catches them and then attempts to use them as a melee weapon against the mass murderer. While they're going one-on-one, Petra gets the remaining survivors in the mall to leave. This sets Jack off, enabling him to slip out of Strode's grip and set his murderous sights on Petra. What happens next is so cool. Seriously, check it out.

Physically AND verbally owned.
Physically AND verbally owned.

How does this all wrap up? You've gotta read the issue to find out, silly! Seriously though, there's no way I'd ruin the finale. It's so ridiculous but in a totally good way.

Kick-Ass vs. Goons (KICK-ASS 3 #2)

Dave Lizewski has come quite a long way since writer Mark Millar's first volume. In the latest (and final!) series, Dave's approached by a fairly large group of intimidating thugs. At this point, there's no shame in losing your spine and giving them whatever they ask for. But Dave? The dude is intrepid now (well, mostly) and has the brass to trash talk them. But his verbal assault is far less effective than what happens comes next. Dave throws the first strike and it's clear his training with Mindy (who's now incarcerated, by the way) has paid off big time.

Dave utilizes the infamous
Dave utilizes the infamous "nose then nuts!" technique.

Talk about simple yet effective. Hitting two dudes in the face simultaneously is nothing special, but then redirecting your fists to their vulnerable man parts? Rad. Dave's still outnumbered and definitely doesn't have the size advantage, so he follows up without wasting any time. He uses the two guys he just stunned to throw the rest of his targets off balance and then tosses his elbow quite viciously into to a guy's face. Unfortunately for our hero, it all goes downhill once a rather large boot says "hello" to his genitals.

UNGH indeed.
UNGH indeed.

They have the numbers edge and they still fight dirty? Man, talk about being total scum. Dave can take a beating, but a hit down south? That's something he can't exactly shrug off no matter how hard he's been training. As if that wasn't literally low enough, they then kick the poor kid while he's down.

Perhaps you'll wear a cup from now on, Dave?
Perhaps you'll wear a cup from now on, Dave?

Don't cry for Dave, though. The guy has endured way worse and, while I won't say how this concludes (because buy the issue, duh), Dave is indeed able to walk away from this assault without any lasting injuries. I get KICK-ASS 2 turned some of you off because it took some seriously twisted turns, but Millar is doing a superb job with volume 3. There's a strong emphasis on substance over shock value so far and it's definitely worth diving back into... if the franchise at least interests you, of course. I know that sounds silly after showing you a brawl like that, but trust me, the rest of the issue is Millar doing a fantastic job expanding the narrative.

Honorable Mentions

• Rock, Bear & Lex vs. Stripper Ninjas (BURN THE ORPHANAGE #1)
  • World Army vs. Hunger Dogs (EARTH 2 #15)
  • Shadowman vs. Master Darque (SHADOWMAN #9)
  • Batman vs. Wrath (DETECTIVE COMICS #23)
  • Batwing vs. Lady Vic (BATWING #23)
  • Robocop vs. Enforcement Droid (ROBOCOP: LAST STAND #1)
  • Carnage vs. Wizard (SUPERIOR CARNAGE #2)
  • Henry Fyff vs. a shattered heart (GREEN ARROW #23)
  • Quantum's personal space vs. Woody's personal space (QUANTUM AND WOODY #2)
  • Andrea Sorrentino vs. our eyes (spoiler alert: Sorrentino wins every time)
  • Lady Vic vs. a rude director (BATWING #23)
  • Superman vs. a bicycle wheel (INJUSTICE: GODS AMONG US #30)
  • Jeff Lemire vs. YOUR BRAIN (TRILLIUM #1)
What are your 3 favorite fights from this week's new stuff? Share them below!
What are your 3 favorite fights from this week's new stuff? Share them below!

Don't forget to make nominations every week in the official thread or tell Gregg via Twitter.

Avatar image for deactivated-5fbfd5d291164
deactivated-5fbfd5d291164

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 74

User Lists: 7

Deadpool Kills Deadpool 2 doesn't even get an honorable mention?

Avatar image for redheadedatrocitus
RedheadedAtrocitus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 3

Good to see Millar is still having Lizewski live up to his name of "@$$ Kick" rather than the true namesake of the comic! lol

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By k4tzm4n  Moderator

Good to see Millar is still having Lizewski live up to his name of "@$$ Kick" rather than the true namesake of the comic! lol

Ha.

Second paragraph.

sinestro_GL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 8

A lot of corny honorable mentions there, @k4tzm4n :P

Friskynesss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

Andrea Sorrentino vs. our eyes (spoiler alert: Sorrentino wins every time)

This person is God's greatest blessing to the world of comic book art! This guy is just amazing. When New 52 started I was instantly hooked on I, Vampire first due to the art then the story. Reading comics may not be like reading a novel but the way art and dialogue dance together more than makes up for it.

I am not adept with art but I am starting to get better thanks to Sorrentino along with Andy Kubert and Alex Ross. Such amazing people!

marvelman2099

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

well that looks like it kinda sucks O_o

LordRequiem

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#7  Edited By LordRequiem

The Kick-ass artwork is horrible, that artist has butchered so many Avengers titles. And that Luthor Strode fight is very difficult to understand as it look's all over the place and there's too many similar colours. As fro Green Arrow, what happened to his face?

Mucklefluga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

"Quantum's personal space vs. Woody's personal space (QUANTUM AND WOODY #2)" That panel made me laugh so much, man that issue was amazing.

xblah_blahx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

That Godzilla vs Zilla fight in Godzilla #2 was pretty awesome. You guys should start taking a look at that comic for some pretty good fights.

Nefilim927

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

That Godzilla vs Zilla fight in Godzilla #2 was pretty awesome. You guys should start taking a look at that comic for some pretty good fights.

Thought the same thing myself, pretty brutal...didn't think Zilla was going to make it

Avatar image for deranged_midget
Deranged Midget

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 4

#11  Edited By Deranged Midget

I'm so behind on comics lately. Just recently picked up last week's on top of this weeks. Some decent stuff all around.

Veitha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Veitha

Green Arrow is copying a bit of Hawkeye's art style lol

jwalser3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

Godzilla vs. Zilla, Godzilla: Rulers of the Earth #2

Not the full fight.But this flew under the radar

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

#14  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous

@veitha said:

Green Arrow is copying a bit of Hawkeye's art style lol

That's how Sorrentino draws all his art

Avatar image for themanintheshoe
TheManInTheShoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

Is it just me or is the creators of Green Arrow trying to copy David Aja's style?

DonFelipe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 8

#17  Edited By DonFelipe

@themanintheshoe

@veitha

As a matter of fact Sorrentino and Aja's styles and techniques are similar. That's how they draw comics. One wouldn't even think of one copying the other if they weren't working on comic books that feature superheroes who are both masters in archery and therefore are the top archers of DC and Marvel respectively, and if these (GA and Hawkeye) weren't two brilliant comic books featuring two of the best creative teams at the moment, and both artists may use a limited amount of colors only plus having an .

Aja/Hawkeye - using more lines (very edgy), less backgrounds, matte colors, mostly smaller panels, flip-book like action.

Sorrentino/GA - using less lines, bright colors, more background details, mostly larger panels (with a few small panels layered on top of larger ones), more vivid action.

Last not least, you won't see such action and fight scenes (and gory wounds) as shown here in Best Battles (see above) in Hawkeye at all.

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 k4tzm4n  Moderator

You're more than welcome to nominate it next time an issue comes out and I'll check it out.

JohnnyGat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By JohnnyGat

I'm keeping my eye on the next time Batwing and Lady Vic fight. Honestly it has so much potential considering that even Batwing acknowledges that he relied too much on the suit. So the potential of good close quarters combat always intrigues me enough.

Avatar image for allstarsuperman
AllStarSuperman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@k4tzm4n: kick-ass isn't doing a split kick. I thought that at first too though. He's using both hands again. You can see his knuckles.

xblah_blahx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@k4tzm4n: Will do!! Hopefully future titles have fights that were just as good :)

Killemall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No Polaris vs Quicksilver from X-Factor 260?? shame!

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 k4tzm4n  Moderator

No Polaris vs Quicksilver from X-Factor 260?? shame!

No recommending in the suggestions thread (2nd paragraph and signature) after you read the issue? Shame! :P

@k4tzm4n: kick-ass isn't doing a split kick. I thought that at first too though. He's using both hands again. You can see his knuckles.

Oh man, nice catch. I'll update accordingly.

Killemall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@k4tzm4n said:

No recommending in the suggestions thread (2nd paragraph and signature) after you read the issue? Shame! :P

Mate don't make excuse, by law, once you upload the ShatterStar panel of "Are you not entertained" from X factor 200 in an article, you MUST read and include events from X-factor issue written by Peter Davis, thats just logic :p

Also when do you normally upload these, i should totally start putting out few recommendations in the thread, will do that from next week , and always love your write-up =)

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 k4tzm4n  Moderator

@k4tzm4n said:

Mate don't make excuse, by law, once you upload the ShatterStar panel of "Are you not entertained" from X factor 200 in an article, you MUST read and include events from X-factor issue written by Peter Davis, thats just logic :p

Also when do you normally upload these, i should totally start putting out few recommendations in the thread, will do that from next week , and always love your write-up =)

Ha!

I usually begin narrowing down the options and writing the feature Thursday afternoon. So, that gives everyone Wednesday and at least half of Thursday to throw some fights my way. And THANKS! :D

Avatar image for buttersdaman000
buttersdaman000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Green Arrow looks amazing

Avatar image for the_average_bear
The Average Bear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By The Average Bear

I really gotta start reading Green Arrow

"Jack. Shut the f*** up" made my day

CaseyJones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By CaseyJones

Wow does that Luther Strode vs Jack the Ripper battle look amazing!

PureKiwi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

Green arrow :)

Avatar image for supremehyperion
SupremeHyperion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

do we always have to have a green arrow on here (they all just sort of look the same)

Zomboner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@k4tzm4n first you got me to start getting Scarlet Spider, now you have me adding Luthor Strode to my wishlist. Damn you!

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 k4tzm4n  Moderator

@zomboner said:

@k4tzm4n first you got me to start getting Scarlet Spider, now you have me adding Luthor Strode to my wishlist. Damn you!

You're welcome :D

TheJedinator13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I know! that was a brilliant battle!

Avatar image for madeinbangladesh
MadeinBangladesh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 59

User Lists: 172

Green Arrow always delivers.

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 k4tzm4n  Moderator
Avatar image for myfavoriteviltrumite23
MyFavoriteViltrumite23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You think by now Dave would already have a cup, I mean think about how many times getting kicked in the nads almost led him to near death

evilvegeta74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

One Marvel Battle got honorable mention? One?

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 k4tzm4n  Moderator

One Marvel Battle got honorable mention? One?

GROOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOAN.

Hawkguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

JRJ really sucks. Second picture, first panel, where I assume the thugs are being thrown into more thugs. Whats with the bending on the clothes? What are they wearing? The michelin man outfit?