Bendis vs Abnett: Who's the best GotG writer?

Avatar image for deactivated-598aab95b6c09
deactivated-598aab95b6c09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Poll Bendis vs Abnett: Who's the best GotG writer? (15 votes)

Abnett 100%
Bendis 0%

I know this is a silly question, but bear with me. There's a bloke who's convinced that Abnett hates Phylla-Vel and Moondragon, can't write cosmic stories to save his life and he's all around a hack. Meanwhile, he's adamant that Bendis' GotG is far superior to the 2008 vol, and he's being really, really vocal about it. So, good people of comicvine, help me....shut him up. Seriously, he doesn't stop, he just keeps repeating the same thing over and over and over, saying that "everyone on most comic forums hates Abnett!" and the like. Therefore, I could really, really use your input here...

• 
wmarshal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By wmarshal

Seriously? Even after the original sin tie in?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@wmarshal: Hey, it's not for me. It's for that @sshole who's spouting nonsense...

wmarshal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@darthkostis: I know, this guy sounds like he has questionable taste. Does he even cosmic?

Avatar image for deactivated-5a04a566e9ae3
deactivated-5a04a566e9ae3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Bendis is the literal devil.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c901e667a76c
deactivated-5c901e667a76c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

That guy is a flarking idiot.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@wmarshal: I know, right? You know what's the worst thing? I started the very same poll over at CBR and they banned me! Not the other guy who was spamming the "Guardians of Infinity" thread and insulting everyone, no. They banned me because "my response to a "certain someone" and creating a whole thread as a passive-aggressive response to that "certain someone" is rude and unacceptable behavior". I just started the poll to set things straight, but no, apparently being straight up aggresive and calling people names is not a reason to ban people. SMH at those bloody w@nkers...

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Here's the link to the thread (thank goodnes for my second account): Nonsense galore!

They've already deleted my poll, go figure. Honestly, the management over at CBR ain't that good. They let people start countless threads on the same subject (there's a guy who's started 4 threads on why he doesn't like the All-New All-Different Avengers), be rude and the like, but they ban someone immediately if he retaliates against them. I mean, of course I started the poll as a response to him! He claimed people hated Abnett, I proved otherwise. As I said, go figure...

wmarshal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@darthkostis: I am curious on the Abnett hating Moondragon and Phylla part, because( mind you I am not caught up to bendis at all, what I have read wasn't impressive and after OS I just gave up on it) bendis seems to ignore them all together.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@wmarshal: Apparently, Abnett humiliated Phylla and treated her like dirt. Because Heaven forbid a character has a hard time in fiction. I mean, T'Challa had a great year, didn't he? Parker as well! But nope, Abnett obviously hates Phylla. This "discussion" went on for 3 pages! 3! 3 pages of the same thing over and over and over again. Heck, he tried to "convince" me that Doc Strange is a horror comic, Lovecraft writes pure horror and the phrase "T'Challa's kingdom is an intergal part of his character, just like being a Lesbian is an important part of Phylla's character" is downright offensive. But I'm the guy who gets banned...

judasnixon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Abnett is the $#!%, but I'm not going to hate on a guy what he likes.......... Unless it's DBZ!

No Caption Provided
sinikettu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By sinikettu

Honestly "there's a sucker born every minute" and anyone saying Bendis writes better GOTG than DNA is a one.

I'm confident that the upcoming Guardians of infinity that Abnett is penning will be good and hope that Bendis would take few pointers to his v.4 run.

• IMO the biggest problem with Bendis' run has been the complete lack of central plot and total "Flanderisation" of the characters to the point of parody.
  • The good point is that his run was quite easy to approach, you didn't loose much by picking an issue here and there. Great for casuals but not to HC-fans.

In contrast:

• Abnett & Lanning were at their best as a team. Abnett is still good but not quite as sharp when they were a team.
  • v.2 was very plot heavy and unless you bought the whole thing as TPB it was very difficult to fully understand what was going on as a whole. Great for HC-fans but not to casual readers who might pick an issue for the pretty cover.

I don't particularly "hate" Bendis'-run or "adore" DNA's-run, but IMO their run was noticeably better in overall quality over Bendis'. Just look at how much stuff went on in 24 issues of v.2 in comparison to v.3.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Personally, I think Bendis' weakness is that, for the life of him, he just can't write anything else other than stree-level characters. He almost always resorts to witty banter, where a conversation just keeps going on and on and on, without any actual meaning behind it. Other than that, his stories move at a really, really slow pace. No resolution, no "ending", they just abruptly stop at some point, after build-up upon build-up upon build-up...

wmarshal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@wmarshal: I know, right? You know what's the worst thing? I started the very same poll over at CBR and they banned me! Not the other guy who was spamming the "Guardians of Infinity" thread and insulting everyone, no. They banned me because "my response to a "certain someone" and creating a whole thread as a passive-aggressive response to that "certain someone" is rude and unacceptable behavior". I just started the poll to set things straight, but no, apparently being straight up aggresive and calling people names is not a reason to ban people. SMH at those bloody w@nkers...

As much as I like throwing shade, Guardians of Infinity looks amazing.I hope the sales follow along to keep it around.

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

Does this guy realize that Abneet is actually famous for his cosmic stories? There is a reason that the Warhammer 40K universe is based around his writing.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@wmarshal: Personally, my pull list is already big enough, but there's no way I'm missing this title. It looks and sounds pretty great. Like a true cosmic story. Obviously it's not going to be a highly sophisticated book like, say, Adam Warlock or early Silver Surfer, but it "feels" like a good ol'space opera, know what I'm sayin'? Even Slott's Surfer series, which isn't the "classic" Surfer, still feels like a cosmic story (for the most part). Its quirkiness adds to its charm.

sinikettu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jonny_anonymous: That guy is also probably too young/illiterate to read any of his WH40k stuff...

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jonny_anonymous: That's what I told him. He just said something about sales being low and the book getting cancelled, while Bendis' sells 10x better. Which, in his world at least, means that it's a better book quality wise. Go figure...

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sinikettu: Preach on man. Personally I haven't read everything from the Black Library, but from what I have, he's a true cosmic master.

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 7

Bendis can't write mainstream Super-hero teams or events. Anything that is pretty much large in scale.

Decompressed writing that makes Geoff Johns jealous, inane dialogue, lack of individuality between characters, ugh shivers.

silent_bomber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#20  Edited By silent_bomber
@jonny_anonymous said:

There is a reason that the Warhammer 40K universe is based around his writing.

Really? I thought it was based on Pat Mills' writing :D

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

@jonny_anonymous: That's what I told him. He just said something about sales being low and the book getting cancelled, while Bendis' sells 10x better. Which, in his world at least, means that it's a better book quality wise. Go figure...

That's like saying One Direction is better than the rolling stones just beacuse they sell more.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jonny_anonymous: Well, I responded with the BayFormers, but yeah, that's pretty much the gist of it. Still, he stuck with his guns and defended Bendis till I got the sack. Meh, it's a chance to take a more thorough look at Comic Vine. This place seems more alive anyway...

Darling_Luna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

I am groot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Heh, now CBR banned for ever, because I happened to have a second account and I "evaded the ban". Damn, insulting people doesn't matter to them but evading a ban? Oh hell naw! Have any of you folks used CBR? I mean, it was good at first, but I started noticing a lot of good posters getting banned for no apparent reason, while trolls and the like didn't even get a "one-week-ban". Just curious to see if anyone else's got such a story from that place.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@darthkostis: I was banned for referring to Scarlet Witch as "Scarlet Tits", and then I was permanently banned for having a second account.

No Caption Provided

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sprior93: Really? Damn man, that's gold! As I said, it was good at first but it thing went downhill fast. Spammers, people posting the same sh!t over and over again, just a mess.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@darthkostis: Eh, CBR is a great site, but it's too strict for me(evidently).

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sprior93: It's got good content, but it's waaaay too strict on certain people. There's no pattern. Some curse, insult and all that and never get punished, while something as trivial as starting a poll to settle an argument is considered ban worthy. SMH...

silent_bomber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Its a good site, not sure about the moderators though

I'm actually banned from CBR, I have absolutely no idea why. One day I just went on there and I couldn't log in anymore, I tried for ages, then decided to create a new account and it said my Email address was banned. In the end I only finally managed to create an account by using a disposable email address, a minute or two later I got banned for not using my "real" Email Address lol

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@silent_bomber: Same thing happened to a few other folks. They were some of the nicest people I've ever interacted with and then bam! they started being banned one after the other. With permanent bans mind you. Dunno why. Especially when trolls are still there...

sinikettu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@darthkostis: Sounds a lot like a mod power tripping where people who got banned were complained about by his friends.It has happened before on other boards as well. It's annoying but happens at times when there's not enough supervision for the moderators.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sinikettu: Most probably. It doesn't make any sense really. Once a guy was calling me names because I said that T'Challa was fine as is, he didn't need to be smarter than Doom. Anyway, I sent a PM to a mod (reported him) and nothing happened. A while later, I said how much I hate the rabid Storm fans who storm (heh) all threads and spam them, and I got a "warning". The Mods over there are seriously not well...

sinikettu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@darthkostis: I'd suggest to let it slide and find another comic site to engross yourself in. You won't gain anything by mulling over it.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sinikettu: Yeah, I know. It's just that the Mods over there are being incredibly snarky over there. "Insulting/targeting others won't fly here". Hold yer bloody horses big guy, you're not the King of England, jeez...