Bendis’ Invincible Iron Man series in 5 panels.

waezi2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

Edited By waezi2
No Caption Provided

Look! Mary Jane Watson!

No Caption Provided

Mary Jane Watson is in the Iron Man comics!

No Caption Provided

She is interacting with Iron Man!

No Caption Provided

Mary Jane Watson is very important!

No Caption Provided

Okay… I like MJ as much as the next guy, but what is IRON MAN doing in Bendis’ run?

No Caption Provided

Oh, I do tons of cool stuff, like fighting ninjas with a katana… BUUUUT we have already used up the five panels of this 5-panel to talk about how awesome MJ is. Sorry.

No Caption Provided

… God freakin' dammit.

Stahlflamme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 0

You know the claim that Iron Man was Marvels new flagship character WAS kinda silly given how they needed a Spider-Man character to promote it.

waezi2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

waezi2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You know the claim that Iron Man was Marvels new flagship character WAS kinda silly given how they needed a Spider-Man character to promote it.

Eh, it didn't. Bendis included her because he thought MJ was a great character who needed more on-page time in comics and a more important role.

And that is great that he tries to do something with the character... if it wasn't for the fact that he reduced her to more or less just bait.

She was on the cover on so many of the Iron Man comics that it ended up being ridicules. And she wasn't even doing that much in the actual comic.

I have no problem with taking characters from one superhero's entourage. Kingpin is a great example of how it can work brilliantly. But MJ just felt forced.

It's great that Bendis wanted to make her relevant, but if he REALLY wanted to do that... why not turn her into a superhero? Carol Danvers is the proof that it could work.

Riddlersriddle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 87

Just why is MJ there?

waezi2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Just why is MJ there?

I have no god damn idea. Maybe because she is a red head like Pepper Potts?

Aros001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

@waezi2 said:
@riddlersriddle said:

Just why is MJ there?

Well, if I'm remembering correctly, when this Iron Man series and Spider-Man Worldwide started, Dan Slott was stated to apparently have no plans for MJ whatsoever in Parker Industries arc.

Riddlersriddle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@waezi2: I was thinking that, but wasn't sure

Riddlersriddle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

waezi2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@aros001 said:
@waezi2 said:
@riddlersriddle said:

Just why is MJ there?

Well, if I'm remembering correctly, when this Iron Man series and Spider-Man Worldwide started, Dan Slott was stated to apparently have no plans for MJ whatsoever in Parker Industries arc.

Still weird that she is in Iron Man. Feels kinds misplaced, and it seems like Bendis was aware of it the way he desperately tried to make us think she belonged by smacking her on the cover even when she didn't do that much.

Avatar image for amazing_webhead
amazing_webhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 20

i wish @captainmarvel4ever was still here. he made an excellent point on how MJ was being kind of ungrateful towards Tony.

Avatar image for captainmarvel4ever
CaptainMarvel4Ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

@amazing_webhead said:

i wish @captainmarvel4ever was still here. he made an excellent point on how MJ was being kind of ungrateful towards Tony.

Comment on the odd dynamic between a woman who got a free job at large corporation out of kindness from stranger's heart, who constantly treats him like dirt in spite of not doing anything mean or rude to her after saving her life and gave her major employment after her life was financially shattered.

(heck of a time to randomly decide to check my messages after 2 months. Bye now)

Aros001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

@amazing_webhead said:

Comment on the odd dynamic between a woman who got a free job at large corporation out of kindness from stranger's heart, who constantly treats him like dirt in spite of not doing anything mean or rude to her after saving her life and gave her major employment after her life was financially shattered.

(heck of a time to randomly decide to check my messages after 2 months. Bye now)

Wow, and I thought the main Spider-Man books treated her character badly. Kind of glad I wasn't reading this book at the time (beyond knowing the actual storyline was cut short because of Civil War 2), because I actually really like MJ.

waezi2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@aros001 said:
@captainmarvel4ever said:

@amazing_webhead said:

Wow, and I thought the main Spider-Man books treated her character badly. Kind of glad I wasn't reading this book at the time (beyond knowing the actual storyline was cut short because of Civil War 2), because I actually really like MJ.

What makes it worse is that Bendis was the writer of CW2, HE cut his own story line short! DUDE!