renamed040924

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

Welcome to first (hopefully of many) Comic Vine Battles Writing Tournament.

Do you enjoy writing? Do you have an interest in the Battles Board? Well get ready to flex your creative muscles alongside the rest of the community, because we're having a writing tournament.

Premise

The premise is simple. Most of us have an interest in feats and battle discussions between our favorite characters. But debates very often turn too hot (to put it nicely!) because at the end of the day, the contradicting feats and skills of fictional characters are just too open to interpretation for everybody to come to an agreement. Oftentimes, people can look at the exact same feat, and somehow come away with exact opposite interpretations.

We all have different interpretations of our favorite characters' skills and capabilities, and I've come to realize, these subjective interpretations themselves are actually far more interesting than any quantifiable facts we might be able to discern. I mean, if every character had exact, quantitive numbers to express every aspect of their capabilities -- he can life this many tons, run this fast, is exactly this skilled -- there really wouldn't be much room for discussion, we would have an immediate, objective answer for every battle thread. It's the interpretations and the reasonings and the theories that breed actual imagination, and that is where the actual fun of being a part of the versus community comes from.

So I thought, why not cut out the middle man? The only reason we debate is as a creative exercise, to express these interpretations of fantastic powers and abilities and how they relate to each other. And I'm sure most of us also enjoy the competition, there's nothing more satisfying than coming out on top in a discussion. The fun aspects of the versus community can remain and be focused upon, while we also get to cut out the vitriol and less pleasant aspects.

And that is where the idea for this writing tournament came from.

The Rules

Create a fictional story centering around a battle between two or more fictional characters. The only rule is that the altercation/fight itself has to be the center of the story. It is the writer's choice on whether the piece has additional backstory/context explaining the reason for the fight, or if the entire story is just commentary on a pointless battle.

• Be creative. There are many different ways such a story can be told. Think of the potential points of view. An omniscient narrator, or first-person account inside the head of one of the characters? Or perhaps you write it from the perspective of a fight commentator, as if the two characters were in an official gladiator or UFC match and the events are being narrated and analyzed by commentators?

Stories will be posted by me, towards the top of the thread. This tournament will follow a bracket style elimination with three rounds. Two users will pit their writings against each other, and a panel of judges will decide which story is of superior quality and effort.

• If you'd like to be a judge, PM me. You have to be capable of critically reading these stories and judging them in articulate detail.

For the first round, the word limit on stories will be 1,000 words. The second round will have a limit of 5,000 words. The finals will have no limit.

For now, we are just in the sign up phase. So if there is anybody who wants to test their creative juices and write a story, and potentially win the honor of being declared one of Comic Vine's best writers, just sign up below.

renamed040924

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By renamed040924

Participants (WE STILL NEED SEVEN MORE WRITERS!)

1. nickzambuto
  2. Wut
  3. seagod
  4. ASGARDIANBRONY
  5. hush114
  6. morleericks
  7. darthjhawk
  8. foxerdes
  9. ArronVidReturns
renamed040924

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reserved

renamed040924

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reserved

renamed040924

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reserved

Wut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Huh, sounds neat, sign me up as a writer.

SeaGod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nickzambuto: so what do we pick a character then write a battle story between the selected character and your opponents character?

renamed040924

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@seagod said:

@nickzambuto: so what do we pick a character then write a battle story between the selected character and your opponents character?

No, it's all about you. You write your own story with whatever characters you like. It can be just two characters in a one-on-one, or something more ambitious, like a team vs team, or some kind of free for all, or anything! Anything you want!

SeaGod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nickzambuto: I see So do we create the characters or do we just say do something akin to Superman vs Shazam or another paring?

gunmetalgrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Can I include my own illustrations? The story will still be the focus, of course.

renamed040924

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@seagod said:

@nickzambuto: I see So do we create the characters or do we just say do something akin to Superman vs Shazam or another paring?

No, definitely not original characters. Just write a story about any versus matchup you would see on the Battle Board.

For example. Back when MvC3 came out, I was inspired by the trailers, and wrote a story detailing an encounter between The Hulk and Chris Redfield. You can use this as inspiration for what this tournament is about.

SeaGod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nickzambuto: alright I think I got it. Sign me up. Is there any power cap on characters?

renamed040924

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@seagod said:

@nickzambuto: alright I think I got it. Sign me up. Is there any power cap on characters?

The only cap is your creativity.

SeaGod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nickzambuto: >.> So I can't use a nameless mook character that is part of an organization that is often pitted against other nameless mooks from other fictional organizations?

renamed040924

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By renamed040924

@wut said:

@nickzambuto: >.> So I can't use a nameless mook character that is part of an organization that is often pitted against other nameless mooks from other fictional organizations?

You absolutely can. That sounds hilarious.

Just make the organizations something existing. Think Bob Agent of HYDRA.

Wut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nickzambuto: Lol no worries, they will be established organizations.

renamed040924

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@wut said:

@nickzambuto: Lol no worries, they will be established organizations.

Good, that's the word I was looking for. Glad you understood.

SeaGod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nickzambuto: start date? Also how will the rounds go? Will we have a set opponent to beat or will it be like a battle royal where the judges pick a group to move on?

renamed040924

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@seagod said:

@nickzambuto: start date? Also how will the rounds go? Will we have a set opponent to beat or will it be like a battle royal where the judges pick a group to move on?

I like your idea. The judges will pick a group to move on.

Start date? As soon as eight people sign up. Feel free to start writing whenever you want though, I won't be introducing any new rules or anything, you already understand the task.

gunmetalgrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hush114

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This sounds cool, count me in.

renamed040924

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nickzambuto:

@gunmetalgrey said:

Can I include my own illustrations? The story will still be the focus, of course.

That's a tough one. I don't want to restrict your creativity, but on the other hand, if you go that extra mile to include illustrations, you're almost guaranteed to win the tournament. And is that really fair to the others, who just want to write and that's it?

Mmmmmm.... Okay, okay, go for it. I really want everyone to be as imaginative and passionate as possible, I won't restrict you.

renamed040924

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wow, counting me, we already have six writers who want to join.

I might have to extend this to a 16-player tournament. I just hope everyone who is signing up is serious and won't bail...

gunmetalgrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nickzambuto: I don't plan to do much. More like what you would see on a chapter page in any ol' fantasy novel. Just something to set the mood and atmosphere of the following couple paragraphs or so.

Avatar image for deactivated-5fb6c77c8d900
deactivated-5fb6c77c8d900

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

This sounds pretty cool.

Hmm. I may just sign up

renamed040924

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nickzambuto: I don't plan to do much. More like what you would see on a chapter page in any ol' fantasy novel. Just something to set the mood and atmosphere of the following couple paragraphs or so.

That sounds killer, and it will give you a major advantage.

Hush114

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nickzambuto: do we announce what characters we have chosen before starting the stories?

renamed040924

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hush114 said:

@nickzambuto: do we announce what characters we have chosen before starting the stories?

No, you don't have to. There really aren't any strict rules or guidelines. Be as creative as you want.

Hush114

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hush114

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nickzambuto: btw are we posting stories here or will there be a seperate thread?

renamed040924

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hush114 said:

@nickzambuto: btw are we posting stories here or will there be a seperate thread?

PM it to me.

Hush114

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

darthjhawk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#35 darthjhawk  Moderator

@nickzambuto: If you need a reserve for a dropout, I'm your man.

gunmetalgrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nickzambuto: I just noticed that it will be a multiple round deal. I'm actually working on a piece for a contest over at the art forum right now, so I don't want to commit 'til I'm sure I'll have enough time to do both. When do you think you'll need to put together the final list of confirmed participants?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

renamed040924

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@foxerdes: @darthjhawk: @morleericks: @hush114: @asgardianbrony: @seagod: @wut: You are all confirmed participants. I think I'm going to expand this to a 16-player roster, given the significant interest displayed thus far. Call your friends! We need more people!

@nickzambuto: I just noticed that it will be a multiple round deal. I'm actually working on a piece for a contest over at the art forum right now, so I don't want to commit 'til I'm sure I'll have enough time to do both. When do you think you'll need to put together the final list of confirmed participants?

This is going to be a slow process. You'll have weeks to get your story together, and for the first round, it's only 1,000 words. You can knock that out in a few hours.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This is alot similar to the RPG tournies in the RPG forums

darthjhawk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 darthjhawk  Moderator
Thor-Parker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Nice idea, I do not have the time to be a writer but I´ll definitely keep an eye on this.

Avatar image for blackspidey2099
blackspidey2099

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#45  Edited By blackspidey2099

@darthjhawk: hey, thanks for linking me mate! Unfortunately, I'll have to pass on this since my schedule is getting tight and this looks like a lot of commitment, but I really appreciate the offer. I'll be waiting to check out your posts, LOL!

darthjhawk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 darthjhawk  Moderator

@blackspidey2099: Ah gotcha, no worries man! Hope you do enjoy the reads when this starts.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ebcd5ad9fb95
deactivated-5ebcd5ad9fb95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So it's a writting competition? Should probably be in the fanfic forums.

High_Noon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nick sure does love his Fan Fic

Hush114

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

RBT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By RBT

I love writing fan fics, but I'm almost sure I'll abandon it in the middle. So, I'll just watch.