Batman is a terrible hero

Avatar image for deactivated-5ce207d94eaaa
deactivated-5ce207d94eaaa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I just watched batman under the red hood and yes ik im a few years late but watching this just deepened my hate for batman. At the end he basically admits that if he kills the joker he wouldn't be able to stop himself from killing everyone (villain) else. All this shows is that batman is a character is very weak willed.

Even before the movie i still had this annoyance when it came to heroes not killing their villains because it made absolutely no sense. The there's that argument that people bring up that if a hero kills a villain it in turn makes them a murderer making the percentage of murders stay the same but wouldn't that be a good thing. The reason being is that unlike a villain a hero knows there bound they're able to stop themselves and anything they do is for the betterment of others thus stopping them from going down the villainous path.

People also seem to believe that if your a murdered your automatically a villain which is a rather weird perspective to have. With that belief people in the armed forces are villains, people who kill as self defence are villains and if someone kills someone that has killed thousand that makes the killer a villain. That way of thinking is just false in so many way possible.

With what i wrote i don't even think any dc and marvel hero is a good hero. Imo the ideal hero would be goku and even i would put dr.halsey as a hero. A hero isn't someone that dresses up and saves people a hero is someone who can rationally outweigh the odds.

Also the only reason why heroes don't kill villains is because of money if there was no more villains then there wouldn't be a way to write compelling comics so yea business could be the reason why.

Avatar image for deactivated-5bb6a6f86dc65
deactivated-5bb6a6f86dc65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Also the only reason why heroes don't kill villains is because of money if there was no more villains then there wouldn't be a way to write compelling comics so yea business could be the reason why.

Bingo.

kgb725

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I just watched batman under the red hood and yes ik im a few years late but watching this just deepened my hate for batman. At the end he basically admits that if he kills the joker he wouldn't be able to stop himself from killing everyone (villain) else. All this shows is that batman is a character is very weak willed.

Even before the movie i still had this annoyance when it came to heroes not killing their villains because it made absolutely no sense. The there's that argument that people bring up that if a hero kills a villain it in turn makes them a murderer making the percentage of murders stay the same but wouldn't that be a good thing. The reason being is that unlike a villain a hero knows there bound they're able to stop themselves and anything they do is for the betterment of others thus stopping them from going down the villainous path.

People also seem to believe that if your a murdered your automatically a villain which is a rather weird perspective to have. With that belief people in the armed forces are villains, people who kill as self defence are villains and if someone kills someone that has killed thousand that makes the killer a villain. That way of thinking is just false in so many way possible.

With what i wrote i don't even think any dc and marvel hero is a good hero. Imo the ideal hero would be goku and even i would put dr.halsey as a hero. A hero isn't someone that dresses up and saves people a hero is someone who can rationally outweigh the odds.

Heroes don't need to kill every villain they come across

Lil_Remains

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Goku, the child endangerer, is apparently a “real” hero.

The same Goku that put the entire multiverse in danger for a little bit of fun?

Ok, buddy

Avatar image for marvelanddcfan24
MarvelandDCfan24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Dumb

legacy6364

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Batman has always been a terrible hero. Just a well written one.

Avatar image for theinsufferable
TheInsufferable

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I would say the fact that the villains are always escaping is mostly the prison and Gotham authority's fault, but yeah, there's a lot about Batman that is questionable.

mimisalome

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By mimisalome

I think that excuse is pretty logical if we believed that Bruce is a repressed serial killer.

I mean he had all the red flag of a typical serial killer/psychopath

- white male (lol)

- double life

- damp dark underground dungeon filled with morbid contraptions

- collecting trophies

- unhealthy fetishism for bats and spandex costumes

- he loves to dominate and torture helpless street punks

- high IQ

- low EQ

So if he ever kill someone he might end up enjoying it, turning him into a serial killer.

socajunkie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#9 socajunkie  Moderator

Yep, to your first section especially, I agree since I thought Batman was supposed to have inhuman willpower.

depinhom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

You're saying what I'm thinking, man.

depinhom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

Punisher>>>>>>>>>>Batman

Green_Tea

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I’d prefer not every hero to start acting like the Punisher.

ArkhamAsylum3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By ArkhamAsylum3

The thing is though Batman is insane. He is very obviously a sociopath so why do you expect reason from him? That's why he's an interesting character though because he's just as insane as his villians.

Blubber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Haters gonna Hate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lil_remains: @lil_remains: If i can remember correctly goku didn't know that the opposing universes would get erased he only found out after the rules and such was set.

ArkhamAsylum3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@arkhamasylum3: He's not meant to be perfect, he's the opposite of Superman.

I know he's not meant to be perfect and I said that's why he's an interesting character.

Avatar image for crawlerwing_night
CrawlerWing_Night

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

How is giving in to your emotions and temptations to kill an evil villain considered showing willpower?? Willpower is going against what would come from emotional impulse or natural reaction. Showing restraint from killing Joker after he murdered Jason was and extreme display of willpower. Killing him would have been too easy. It is literally what anyone would have done in his situation, meaning it showed willpower not to

Deathman2000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Deathman2000

I love that part of his character though

He's crazy...let him cross the line once and he won't be stopped that's why everyone fear him including his friends

The dude could kill all his enemies i think even his dark mirror (yeah,i call him that) Deathstroke stated that he could kill him but he would not be Batman anymore and in another fight he said "That should of been a killing blow but not for the Dark knight because he doesn't KILL".

But i would never want him to kill he would turn into the Bat who laugh and kill everything on sight or turn into Owlman and decide to end all life in the multiverse

DeathandGrim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By DeathandGrim

Goku is not a good example. But I get what you're saying about Batman to a point.

But you have to understand: Batman isn't the law. This is why he may beat criminals to a pulp but doesn't cuff them, process them, and take them away. He leaves that to law enforcement and the proper authorities. It's a thin line he treads being a somewhat lawful vigilante. But he knows he'd betray the very system he seeks to champion by outright murdering even dangerous criminals even like Joker.

You're not the only person to notice this. Entire plotlines, one shots, and movies have been centered around Batman's strange compelling philosophy. ("I won't kill you, but I don't have to save you.")

It's honestly been what I love about his character and Superman's too. How they themselves could very easily subjugate everyone around them to their interpretation of the law but choose not to. Because when they do there's never a far enough for either of these two. And things can get messy fast.

No Caption Provided

It takes far more will than you're giving him credit for.

Avatar image for crawlerwing_night
CrawlerWing_Night

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

To me this doesn’t seem to be about Batman being a good or terrible hero, but that the OP just doesn’t like heroes.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@crawlerwing_night: That's the thing batman doesn't have enough willpower to stop himself if he did kill joker that's why i don't consider him as a hero because a hero would be able to kill said villain whilst stopping themselves from going down that villainous path.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@DeathandGrim2: Yeah ik i could of used someone better as goku but i just used him simply because he had no quarrel with killing villains albeit he does show softness when he gave frieza energy to leave the planet before it blew up.

But to respond to your post

When the pros greatly outweigh the cons ethics and morality should not have a say on whether the action was justified or not. And you know i think that whole not passing the law thing is bs because if joker was real he would of been given the death sentence a long time ago so i think its more or a plot device to somewhat justify his philosophy.

Batvibe12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Batvibe12

That's nice to know.

DeathandGrim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@christphervang: Criminal insanity is an actual plea that someone like Joker would be able to easily claim in order to get out of consequence. Most Serial murderers make an attempt at that appeal. However in Joker's case he would most likely have success with that because he's nuts. It's just Arkham does not hold him long. And yea it sucks the Justice System is designed to be reactive and not proactive.

I do like that Batman believes in the process despite how much pain it causes him and others, but I agree he should just kill Joker. But Batman just can't bring himself to that level.

The_Rayman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Saying that heroes should execute villains is the same as saying that police officers should execute criminals off-records.

Are you a fascist, OP?

samhmd1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

One recent explanation given is that if Batman ever did kill Joker or anyone else, Gordon would now have to treat Batman like a criminal and hunt him down. Gordon actually outright said this to Batman in the first Hush story when he nearly beat Joker to death.

Avatar image for handofprometheus
HandOfPrometheus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You guys make it sound like its easy to just go around and kill people no matter the evil deed.

The_Rayman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You guys make it sound like its easy to just go around and kill people no matter the evil deed.

Nerds read Punisher and believe that killing people is something that should be casual and easy to do.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@the_rayman: My view is that when the pros greatly outweigh the cons outside influence shouldn't have a say on whether the action was justified or not. Joker has killed thousands at least so killing him imo would be justifiable. Your average criminal isn't even killing anyone so if any law enforcement was to kill said criminal it would be unjust.

Even then unlike the comic our law enforcements does act upon the death penalty.

Anyways i'm not a fascist but at the same time i've always been a pragmatic thinker even if both options had violence in them

I mean that's why i view Dr.Halsey as a hero

The_Rayman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@christphervang: Namor has killed more innocent people than the Joker has, yet not only is he treated as a hero but he also has married heroines falling in love with him.

Why are you upset at Batman for not executing the Joker? Why aren't you upset at Marvel heroes for treating a much deadlier villain as a hero?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@handofprometheus: Your generalizing evil deed. A person can break into a house and that counts as an evil deed the joker kills thousands and that's an evil deed and although both are vastly different in terms of seriousness with your generalization the burglar should be killed just cause like joker he did an evil deed.

My post wasn't to say hey if your doing bad you get sent to the block my point i was trying to get across was that if the pros greatly outweigh the cons no outside influence should have a say on whether the action was justified or not.

Gokluma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's not Batman's job to kill him and let's face it Death is basically pointless in comics since writers will always bring them back for popularity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@the_rayman: I dont view either heroes from both comics as heros i even pointed that out.

Namor as a character has a lot of grey areas he acts upon which would benefit atlantis so it really depends on your point of view on whether he is a hero or villain.

I've always seen him as a villain but i'm not as upset because in most cases he does those villainous things he does it for his people.

The_Rayman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@christphervang: When Namor invades New York and kills its citizens, how exactly are his people benefiting from it?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@the_rayman: @handofprometheus:Noone is saying it should be easy but if you have the opportunity to take 1 life in order to save thousands you shouldn't have to hesitate in killing said person.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@the_rayman: I didn't say all of his acts of violence led to the benefit of atlantis why do you think i view him as a villain. I merely pointed out that unlike the joker he does have reasoning in most cases of his violence and those cases most of the time our for the betterment of atlantis.

Heatforce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So batman is a complicated character? That's the summary of the complaint.

kyrees

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By kyrees

@christphervang said:

@lil_remains: @lil_remains: If i can remember correctly goku didn't know that the opposing universes would get erased he only found out after the rules and such was set.

you forgot buu. he didn't stop him and let the new generation do that stuff despite having no experience in saving the world. earth and its inhabitants gone kaput afterwards.

goku prioritizes fighting than saving people that he didn't think such actions can be quite dangerous. i mean he fought golden freeza and had to learn the hard way the second time around on prioritizing fights over saving people.

Avatar image for itouchedtheboat
ITouchedTheBoat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

the way people get mad at heroes for not killing, you'd think real life people were actually dying.

It's all fake, you said it yourself, if they killed the villain they'd lose sales, so because of this you're hatred for a fictional character grew more?

Avatar image for deactivated-5d9ffabf0f29f
deactivated-5d9ffabf0f29f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

While I prefer some do,every hero doesn't need to kill. That said,the excuse Batman gave in Under The Red Hood was lame. He could have just said "That's not my call" and I would have accepted it.

Avatar image for deactivated-5bb0736b08da3
deactivated-5bb0736b08da3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Instead of giving views about how a hero should be why not go out help a few people and be a hero to them rather than criticizing a comic character?

kyrees

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By kyrees

@blades24 said:

Instead of giving views about how a hero should be why not go out help a few people and be a hero to them rather than criticizing a comic character?

if you want to help people, you do it and not deflect issues that can be tackled in a comic forum.

GermanX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I can't make you change your mind, but my feel on this issue is that its just a story. Batman's life is just a story, you do not have to take it seriously.

The writer's intention was that: "Yes, I want to portray Batman as a flawed man with the right heart"

Batman's flaws was the point you mention about heroes not killing their villains. This is actually what lead many Batman fans to like about their beloved character - He is only human and humans have flaws. His flaws about his own moral code can be seen exposed by Jason Todd, such complexity is what fans liked..

Is he a terrible hero? Depends on what you mean by "terrible hero". As I mentioned, many Batman fans liked their hero flawed and vulnerable.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kyrees: Dude Batman already gets a lot of threads about how he is terrible hero for not killing its nothing new and also gets countless other hate threads. It gets really annoying that instead of criticizing a comic hero all the time maybe get a life and maybe do something else?

kyrees

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@blades24 said:

@kyrees: Dude Batman already gets a lot of threads about how he is terrible hero for not killing its nothing new and countless other hate threads. It gets really annoying that instead of criticizing a comic hero all the time maybe get a life and maybe do something else?

it's a comic book character and any discussion to him is within the comic context in a comic forum. requesting people to not do any comic related things in a comic forum is counter intuitive. you might as well request people to not talk about bbq in a bbq forum

GermanX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@blades24 said:

@kyrees: Dude Batman already gets a lot of threads about how he is terrible hero for not killing its nothing new and also gets countless other hate threads. It gets really annoying that instead of criticizing a comic hero all the time maybe get a life and maybe do something else?

This guy's well-known for arguing against anything that seems to be the least remotely positive for Batman. Don't mind him, just continue to argue objectively.

kyrees

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By kyrees

@germanx said:
@blades24 said:

This guy's well-known for arguing against anything that seems to be the least remotely positive for Batman. Don't mind him, just continue to argue objectively.

and you're the guy who assume batman can pull off a miracle win against a high level character.

if you haven't noticed, i'm only against certain points on batman and people have multiple arguments for pro and anti. be more objective than that.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kyrees: I didn't say anything like "Why does earth revolve around the sun?"

I said to basically stop making this threads because it gets annoying but obviously you are not very bright so I will quit explaining it to you.