• 50 results
Posted by inferiorego (25733 posts) - - Show Bio

Batman is back and trying to save Gotham from a malfunctioning plane that's moments away from crashing.

If that description of the issue sounds too short or brief, we can assure you it's not. This is one of the most interesting issues of Batman in years because the whole issue takes place over a matter of minutes. It moves at an accelerated pace and many times, when a book moves this quickly, it tends to unmemorable or dull. What makes this quick-paced issue work is that it's very intense, from start to finish. The action and tone fit the pace and vice versa. Instead of a day in the life of Batman, we get a moment. It's unique and brings a fresh spin to kick off the series.

The issue does a solid job at setting up the series, introducing the cast of characters, and playing well to both longtime and brand new readers. The book isn't steeped in Batman continuity. Where it really shines is displaying the dynamic between Duke and Batman. Duke is the new trainee under Batman, and during this issue, he comes off as more like Oracle than anyone else, which is pretty cool to see. It's a second set of eyes and ears for Batman. Alfred helps out as well, and while this is a solo book, we're seeing a behind the scenes team dynamic. This sets a great tone for the future of this book, and fans will be excited to see how Duke's training will go during the rest of the series. Writer Tom King really puts his mark on this opening offering.

Artist David Finch is joined by inker Matt Banning and colorist Jordie Bellaire. This is some of Bellaire's best coloring work to date. This doesn't feel like Bellaire colored it, as her work is darker, grittier, and more fitting with the tone and Finch's art. She's doing some new and wonderful things in this issue. Finch and Banning deliver some intense art that really helps intensify the story.

This issue may not be what people are expecting for a new series. The plot trickles in, but the issue is great for new readers and overall, provides a great kick-off to the new comic. We're getting this very intense moment in time and the book does a fine job at not only establishing Batman but also establishing Alfred and Duke as well.

Staff
#1 Posted by apokos7 (749 posts) - - Show Bio

Awesome issue, an improvement upon the Batman Rebirth one-shot. Both the writing and the art were high level. Well done.

#2 Posted by Black_Arrow (10249 posts) - - Show Bio

Ok now I want a "Batman saves a plane" scene on the movies.

#3 Posted by Mr___death (273 posts) - - Show Bio

Crazy issue

#4 Posted by D9000 (1637 posts) - - Show Bio

Sounds great! Who are these two characters on the cover though?

No Caption Provided

#5 Posted by Rubear (4643 posts) - - Show Bio

@d9000: Gothamman and Gothamgirl)

#6 Posted by iaconpoint (1491 posts) - - Show Bio

Looking forward to this minus yet another sidekick. Tynion really set the bar high with Detective.

Avatar image for superior_prime_maybe
#7 Edited by superior_prime_maybe (1360 posts) - - Show Bio

oh my god! this was mad!

#8 Posted by superior_prime_maybe (1360 posts) - - Show Bio

@d9000: Wonder Twins

I kid. They're Gotham and Gotham Girl

#9 Posted by casper4690 (704 posts) - - Show Bio

Amazing issue. I thought the rebirth one shot was underwhelming but this , this issue really set the bar high . Very intense and suspenseful story. My favorite title released for today next to Dark Knight Last crusade.

#11 Posted by 2099man (220 posts) - - Show Bio

With my theory about Gotham and Gotham girl potentially being Nite-Owl and Silk Spectre now DOA, my next guess is that they're actually receivers of the new 52 Supes powers along with Lois and Kenan Kong. Either way I really hope those two will stick around for the long run. those Gothic G's in those diamonds make great emblems. Maybe they can patrol Gotham during the day while Bruce and the Bat Family do the usual night shift?

#12 Posted by Wilbertus (535 posts) - - Show Bio

Have yet to read the issue, but... Duke? Meh. That being said, King is the first writer who made me really care for Vision, sooo let's see. :) Glad to see overall enthousiastic reviews!

#13 Posted by tensor (8418 posts) - - Show Bio

This was fun an intense.

#14 Posted by ndisnyjj55 (176 posts) - - Show Bio

This issue was very intense, can not wait for the next issue.

#15 Edited by D9000 (1637 posts) - - Show Bio

@superior_prime_maybe: Cool, seems like pretty weak super hero names but a cool design. I know I should probably just read it but are they actually good guys? For some reason I look at them and think "these two must be villains somehow".

#16 Posted by superior_prime_maybe (1360 posts) - - Show Bio

@d9000: I think it's one of those 'hidden third party in action' situation. These guys are probably just following orders from some one.

For all you know they might be wonder twins. DC loves rebooting them XD

#17 Edited by entropy_aegis (20776 posts) - - Show Bio

By the numbers issue, it was cinematic yeah but that's down to Finch delivering his best art in a long time, the mechanics of the rescue were rather unbelievable. I know comics do this all the time but dont try to explain to me how it all works when you damn well it will never work like that. Otherwise it was predictable, some mastermind guy in the shadows, new heroes show up when needed and Gotham is a lame supername, Duke made his triumphant debut...to monitor duty. That's the same thing Julia Pennyworth did when Snyder brought her and now apparently she's been forgotten, atleast between her and Harper I can take consolation in the fact that Snyder pets dont go anywhere in the long run.

#18 Posted by Squalleon (9994 posts) - - Show Bio

While I found the airplane scene quite improbable, I love the voice King gives to Bruce.

#19 Edited by kcomicfan (4690 posts) - - Show Bio

In my opinion, Batman #1 was OK. I would give it 3/5 stars.

#20 Posted by Soldy (72 posts) - - Show Bio

Definitely better than Batman Rebirth, but it felt too short. Oh and i'm sure that without Jordie Bellaire on colors Finch's art would be much worse.

#21 Posted by Nite_Nite (2348 posts) - - Show Bio

Rebirth was great ion know what you guys are talking about

#22 Posted by kiba (3659 posts) - - Show Bio
#23 Posted by redmanta (605 posts) - - Show Bio

i don't no nothing about them but i want a mini series about gotham and gotham girl i hope they don't become villains or die

#24 Posted by Deathstroke52 (7006 posts) - - Show Bio

Great issue.

Things really escalated quickly lol

#25 Posted by blackagar (950 posts) - - Show Bio

@soldy said:

Definitely better than Batman Rebirth, but it felt too short. Oh and i'm sure that without Jordie Bellaire on colors Finch's art would be much worse.

I think the bi weeklies all feel pretty short through intention. So far I've only bought batman/titans/superman and batman and superman both end on great cliff hangers leaving me wanting more.

Avatar image for fastestmanalive
#26 Posted by Fastestmanalive (232 posts) - - Show Bio

This was amazing. I loved this comic. Felt myself at the edge of my seat the whole time. King did not disappoint.

This would have been the best book I've read this week or heck this month even except for Titans which wasn't only great but had a bigger emotional impact and connection to me.

But still def 5/5 for me. No question. Cant wait for the next issue.

#27 Posted by CaptainHoopla (1974 posts) - - Show Bio

Expectations met. Excellent first issue.

#28 Posted by UltimatePower6 (609 posts) - - Show Bio

First thing I thought of Gotham and Gotham Girl: Aren't they just Superman and Supergirl as Gothamites? Hopefully I'm wrong and they become very differentiated, but like Batman in this issue I'm a little puzzled by the Superman qualities of these two.

#29 Posted by roaris87 (404 posts) - - Show Bio

"Yes, sir. Awaiting your stability. As always." Oh Alfred

#30 Posted by Black_Arrow (10249 posts) - - Show Bio

First thing I thought of Gotham and Gotham Girl: Aren't they just Superman and Supergirl as Gothamites? Hopefully I'm wrong and they become very differentiated, but like Batman in this issue I'm a little puzzled by the Superman qualities of these two.

They are supposed to be that kind of hero, so they are probably going to be something more Superman like.

#31 Posted by Batman3000 (5652 posts) - - Show Bio

Loved this.

#32 Posted by KrleAvenger (26265 posts) - - Show Bio

@batman3000 said:

Loved this.

Really? You don't look like Batman fan to me LOL

#33 Posted by Batman3000 (5652 posts) - - Show Bio

@krleavenger: Yeah never really liked him. Always thought he was a punk.

LLOLLLLLLL

#34 Posted by Owie (7172 posts) - - Show Bio

Enjoyable issue. I hadn't read the last arc or two of Batman, but was drawn back by Tom King, whose Vision I have really been enjoying.

This issue is honestly full of Batman feats we'll be seeing for a while, like hanging on to the plane with one hand, or calculating precise engine burn percentages in his head. Craziness.

#35 Edited by adrikito (331 posts) - - Show Bio

@d9000 said:

Sounds great! Who are these two characters on the cover though?

No Caption Provided

2 fantastic heroes. batman avoiding a disaster and they appear once everything ends. LOL.

#36 Posted by Stormdriven (17720 posts) - - Show Bio

I loved the dialogue e Bruce and Alfred when Bruce was about to sacrifice himself.

Honestly made me tear up a little.

#37 Posted by entropy_aegis (20776 posts) - - Show Bio

The battle boards are gonna go crazy when Batman lays the smackdown on Gotham and his girl, if this issue(and Rebirth) was any indication the battle forums die hards are gonna have plenty to chew on from this series.

#38 Posted by DrellAssassin (1028 posts) - - Show Bio

This was so good. Loved the callback to The Dark Knight Returns with "Is this a good death?"

Avatar image for rustyshackleford
#39 Posted by RustyShackleford (29 posts) - - Show Bio

Loved this! A huge smile came across my face when I saw the new batmobile. Reminded me of the animated series

#40 Posted by Black_Arrow (10249 posts) - - Show Bio

The battle boards are gonna go crazy when Batman lays the smackdown on Gotham and his girl, if this issue(and Rebirth) was any indication the battle forums die hards are gonna have plenty to chew on from this series.

Well King is the guy who made Batman kick a motorcycle on half.

#41 Posted by save.me.now (290 posts) - - Show Bio

First off, this was definitely the comic if the week for me, among DC, Marvel and TMNT. Secondly Duke is a really cool character, I didn't know how I'd feel about him at first but he really impressed me in We Are Robin and Detective Comics.

Avatar image for bh6shouldhavehadsilversamurai
#42 Posted by BH6ShouldHavehadSilverSamurai (288 posts) - - Show Bio

@d9000: They're the new superheroes in gotham, but to me they look suspiciously similar to Jan and Jayce from Space Ghost. Who knows? Maybe we'll get a crossover (or I'm just stretching a comparison way too hard, either one works)

#43 Posted by iaconpoint (1491 posts) - - Show Bio

@entropy_aegis: If they were gonna keep any Snyder pets I wish they'd have kept Harper or Julia. I'd love to see the dynamic between Bruce and a chick instead of yet another dude.

#44 Posted by D9000 (1637 posts) - - Show Bio
#45 Edited by entropy_aegis (20776 posts) - - Show Bio

@kiba said:

@entropy_aegis: what was wrong with Julia?

Nothing wrong with her per se, it's that Snyder is taking turns to introduce characters and leading them nowhere. Julia was doing the exact the same thing as Alfred, she was dangerously close to redundant but her gender and Alfred's period of inactivity combined with Gordon era Batman gave her something to do for a while. Now she has been abandoned while we move to the next pointless character except Duke doesn't even have those short term factors that helped Julia last for a while.

#46 Edited by road_warrior (145 posts) - - Show Bio

Loved this! A huge smile came across my face when I saw the new batmobile. Reminded me of the animated series

Avatar image for madeinbangladesh
#47 Posted by MadeinBangladesh (12493 posts) - - Show Bio

Pretty good. SO much better than that Rebirth issue.

~MiB

#48 Posted by OptimucCrime (142 posts) - - Show Bio

Good issue overall but I didn't like the chat he had with Alfred about his possible death. It made sense but just felt strange. Obviously he wasn't going to die but we just came off a whole year of Batman being "dead". Still, he goes back through the protocol with Alfred which should have already been done the first time. Confused me a little bit.

#49 Posted by DD208 (573 posts) - - Show Bio

So who was on the rooftop with the dead Kobra agent?

#50 Posted by Mrfuzzynutz (1624 posts) - - Show Bio

A lot of good stuff to digest here. Batman has completely evolved from the lone Dark Knight Detective, and has embraced a Team Gotham squad dynamic which I really like, I dig how Mister Thomas seems to bring something completely new to the table in regards to a Batman sidekick

But I really have a problem with Gotham and Gotham Girl. a) There names are terrible, it really takes me out of what they are there to accomplish. b) and if they wanted to be better heroes, they should have a different look to reflect that NO MASKS would have been the move.. IMO

Otherwise...GREAT start all across the board