• 67 results
Posted by inferiorego (25734 posts) - - Show Bio
No Caption Provided

Back in November of 2013, San Francisco was turned into Gotham City for a wish for a young boy with leukemia. On June 26, his documented story is coming to select theaters with the film Batkid Begins. His story went viral across the Internet and it brought people together to make one magical moment for a sick child. The trailer for the upcoming film has been released. Check it out.

Here's the official synopsis for the documentary.

One child. One wish. Millions touched. Who would have thought a 5-year-old boy who fought leukemia would transform a city and a nation for a day? No one. Not his family. Not his friends. Not the thousands of volunteers who came from near and far to help make his wish come true. But it did.

Batkid Begins is a documentary that takes you back to November 15th, 2013, the day San Francisco turned into Gotham City, and the day the internet was nice. More than a billion people took to social media to cheer on BatKid, even President Obama! In all, the #SfBatKid and #BatKid hashtags reached more than 1.84 Billion people on Twitter and Instagram. This wish and this little caped crusader resonated with so many people, including us, and we wanted to find out why.

Batkid Begins comes out on June 26 in select theaters.

No Caption Provided

Staff
#1 Posted by SupBatz (2186 posts) - - Show Bio

That is one of the most adorable things I've ever watched.

#2 Posted by meatwadf (671 posts) - - Show Bio

I still can't believe the jackassery that was reported on this over on Gawker. How can something like this not melt your heart?

#3 Posted by Ladyonora (54 posts) - - Show Bio

This is the best thing ever!!

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
#4 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (45774 posts) - - Show Bio

I kinda wish the older guy had dressed as Robin

#5 Posted by StormShadow_X (16772 posts) - - Show Bio

Simply Astounding.

#6 Posted by Pelykan (228 posts) - - Show Bio

I know I'll just get scolded for this but I'm always a bit unsure about these things.

All those people are willing to do this for some kid they don't know because he is dying. These same people most likely wont give a shit when they walk past a homeless person. And probably not even 1% of them are gonna sign up for volunteer work in kids hospitals or something like that.

Loads of kids die and they don't get this much attention but this kid does because he went viral and then there are a bunch of people trying to make themselves feel better by making him feel better.

#7 Posted by _Nox_ (9701 posts) - - Show Bio

This might be a cynical point of view but I'm sick of Hollywood trying to cannibalize something honest for the sake of making money.

Avatar image for surfingthehighway
#8 Posted by SurfingtheHighway (1434 posts) - - Show Bio

@_nox_ said:

This might be a cynical point of view but I'm sick of Hollywood trying to cannibalize something honest for the sake of making money.

I agree completely. The ones behind the making of this film are the actual cynical ones. It was a beautiful moment when it occurred, there's no need to suck it dry... they're taking the beauty out of it.

#9 Posted by MICKEY-MOUSE (36852 posts) - - Show Bio

Good cry movie.

Avatar image for buttersdaman000
#10 Edited by buttersdaman000 (22862 posts) - - Show Bio

@_nox_ said:

This

And it looks lame :/

#11 Posted by DrellAssassin (1028 posts) - - Show Bio

I love this story so much, and I'm glad that there's a documentary for it so this moment is cemented in time. Based on comments I've read online (some here), there's a lot of cynical a$$sholes that are trying to put this down. To all of you, you're heartless. To answer, "why can't you do this for every kid, kids are dying all the time". This was a unique situation where people were made aware of ways that they could contribute, and they chose to help out. What started as a simple Make-A-Wish snowballed into a grand event. People should simply celebrate that and quit being the typical cynical internet mob for once.

#12 Posted by AbdullahZubair (1039 posts) - - Show Bio

@pelykan: @_nox_: I agree with you guyz.

first of all, if you can do this for 1 kid, how about giving charity for 2?

second of all, everything that happens on earth is for Hollywood to make money from!

Avatar image for rocketraccoonthingy
#13 Posted by rocketraccoonthingy (8996 posts) - - Show Bio

Hail batkid!

No more batgod bullfrog.

BATKID FOREVER!!!!

#14 Posted by Maluvin (20 posts) - - Show Bio

@pelykan said:

I know I'll just get scolded for this but I'm always a bit unsure about these things.

All those people are willing to do this for some kid they don't know because he is dying. These same people most likely wont give a shit when they walk past a homeless person. And probably not even 1% of them are gonna sign up for volunteer work in kids hospitals or something like that.

Loads of kids die and they don't get this much attention but this kid does because he went viral and then there are a bunch of people trying to make themselves feel better by making him feel better.

Totally legitimate point of view.

One of my long term best friends actually works with that particular branch of Make-A-Wish in San Francisco. They were definitely taken by surprise at how this thing blew up when all was said and done. It wasn't initially planned out to be this sort of thing so that part of it is extremely weird and a bit of a fluke.

You're right there's a lot of people who could use help whose stories won't go viral and most people pass by because they think it's somebody else's problem and/or don't know what to do that would be useful. Gathering for Batkid for the majority of the crowd meant just showing up and cheering. That's easier for the average person to make sense of and participate in compared to seeing a homeless person and knowing how to meaningfully provide help that makes a real difference.

I still appreciate the Batkid story on many levels. For all the viral weirdness of the situation I'm still glad that it was a positive story. I know that even if it hadn't gone viral that kid would have had a great day as Batman due to the efforts of people like my friend and his coworkers at Make-A-Wish who've dedicated their lives to service work of one sort or another. They coordinate a lot of volunteers for these wishes everyday and while they obviously don't all blow up that's not the point for them. They're just trying to do something helpful where they know they can and if that grabs attention from others so be it. They give their all on every wish big or small and while I fully agree that the majority us could do more to help I'm cautious about diminishing the impact of the work these people do.

Avatar image for jasoninthewoods
#16 Edited by Jasoninthewoods (380 posts) - - Show Bio

I was touched by this the first time I heard about it ,but now it's getting ridiculous.

#17 Edited by SlickyMike88 (276 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't know what to feel about this , however this is once in a lifetime opportunity for this kid^^

#18 Posted by SlickyMike88 (276 posts) - - Show Bio

I would care more if it was a kid from a foreign country ,less fortunate. Of course this kid is not fortunate on what decease he has , but you know what I mean. As I said if there is a opportunity to let someone shine, let the kid shine.

Avatar image for madeinbangladesh
#19 Edited by MadeinBangladesh (12493 posts) - - Show Bio

@_nox_ said:

agree

~MiB

Avatar image for madeinbangladesh
#20 Posted by MadeinBangladesh (12493 posts) - - Show Bio

@pelykan said:

totally agree

~MiB

#21 Posted by Batmanbat35 (4 posts) - - Show Bio

Why is it that anytime something truly nice happens people get all green with envy... As if your child was in the same situation you as a parent would respond with, "Oh no Make a Wish Foundation, we would rather you spent these funds on the homeless or other needy kids."

I find this especially shocking when these kinds of comments are made on a website devoted to Comic Books, the ONE medium devoted to inspiring people to DO GOOD...

Also as an FYI this film is a documentary, Hollywood will probably make a pretty penny, but at the end of the day the film was made to DOCUMENT a remarkable event. If things like this happened every day then there would be no need for a documentary. So can we all please agree that this was a beautiful moment in our existence as human beings and that's all, I realize we here in America have freedom of speech, but just because you can doesn't always mean you should.

Avatar image for starscream_vs_you
#22 Posted by Starscream_Vs_You (242 posts) - - Show Bio

Ugh Hollywood's shameless attempt at making money at the expense of this kid.. Just WOW.

#23 Posted by Skit (5292 posts) - - Show Bio

That's adorable

As others have said though, they shouldn't milking this for money. If this where a free release on the internet this would be a good thing. Don't get me wrong there's definitely a place for this kind of thing. Life according to Sam is a great example.

#24 Posted by Kingthunder99 (164 posts) - - Show Bio

just adorable

#25 Posted by comicace3 (12434 posts) - - Show Bio

Hollywood milking an honest cause!

Yay

Avatar image for allstarsuperman
#26 Posted by AllStarSuperman (43249 posts) - - Show Bio

So the trailer told the whole story so now I don't need to watch the movie.

#27 Posted by John-PH (362 posts) - - Show Bio

@meatwadf said:

I still can't believe the jackassery that was reported on this over on Gawker. How can something like this not melt your heart?

What did they say?

#28 Posted by deadpool25mm (864 posts) - - Show Bio

Amazing.

#29 Posted by meatwadf (671 posts) - - Show Bio

@meatwadf said:

What did they say?

A couple of their "bloggers" wrote articles on how the kid (seriously) is responsible for the deaths of other sick people, since the resources used on his wish were just a waste, and could have been use to cure cancer or whatever. Some people...

#30 Posted by Spider-ManWins (3899 posts) - - Show Bio

came here expecting a spoof, and i see this

im too busy envisioning my own death

#31 Posted by ParaChomp (1176 posts) - - Show Bio

A shame not everyone's death can be this big. We're all one day going to die slow and painfully full of remorse.

#32 Posted by jayc1324 (26431 posts) - - Show Bio

Why are people acting surprised that Hollywood is making a movie to make money? That's kind of their entire thing. Making a movie to document this amazing event isn't wrong in any way, and isn't milking.

#33 Posted by TheBlackHood (594 posts) - - Show Bio

I would care more if it was a kid from a foreign country ,less fortunate. Of course this kid is not fortunate on what decease he has , but you know what I mean. As I said if there is a opportunity to let someone shine, let the kid shine.

Wow, really? So because this is an American kid his wish is worth less than some foreign child? Make-a-Wish is a charity. People give to that charity because they like what it does. So many high horses on here telling people what they should spend money on. If you have time to write on a comic book website then I guess you have time to work a soup kitchen. See how that works?

#34 Posted by MasterKungFu (20773 posts) - - Show Bio

hhhhmmmm

Avatar image for ironspiderchan45
#35 Posted by Ironspiderchan45 (1129 posts) - - Show Bio

I hope this is on Netflix or Hulu.

#36 Posted by SuperAdam (1168 posts) - - Show Bio

Why is it that anytime something truly nice happens people get all green with envy... As if your child was in the same situation you as a parent would respond with, "Oh no Make a Wish Foundation, we would rather you spent these funds on the homeless or other needy kids."

I find this especially shocking when these kinds of comments are made on a website devoted to Comic Books, the ONE medium devoted to inspiring people to DO GOOD...

Also as an FYI this film is a documentary, Hollywood will probably make a pretty penny, but at the end of the day the film was made to DOCUMENT a remarkable event. If things like this happened every day then there would be no need for a documentary. So can we all please agree that this was a beautiful moment in our existence as human beings and that's all, I realize we here in America have freedom of speech, but just because you can doesn't always mean you should.

I think people are saying, if you want to make a difference, you need to do the right thing and help people 24/7. Not just one time. I've had times in my life that were REALLY difficult, and there was nobody there to help me. Sure, I didn't have cancer, but that doesn't mean what I went through was easy. And I know other people have had similar experiences. So, for those people, it seems rather hypocritical for virtually everyone come out of the woodwork to help one child, when there are literally an innumerable number of people on the planet who need help, and will never get it. Sort of like, if you're at the shipwreck of the Titanic, saving survivors, and everyone pulls one child out of the ocean, and then immediately calls it a day, and goes home. That's where the criticism of this event is coming from, IMO.

However, it is nice that people were willing to help this child.

#38 Edited by TheBlackHood (594 posts) - - Show Bio
@superadam said:
@batmanbat35 said:

I think people are saying, if you want to make a difference, you need to do the right thing and help people 24/7. Not just one time. I've had times in my life that were REALLY difficult, and there was nobody there to help me. Sure, I didn't have cancer, but that doesn't mean what I went through was easy. And I know other people have had similar experiences. So, for those people, it seems rather hypocritical for virtually everyone come out of the woodwork to help one child, when there are literally an innumerable number of people on the planet who need help, and will never get it. Sort of like, if you're at the shipwreck of the Titanic, saving survivors, and everyone pulls one child out of the ocean, and then immediately calls it a day, and goes home. That's where the criticism of this event is coming from, IMO.

But the problem with that is you have a bunch of people sitting on here NOT MAKING A DIFFERENCE, talking about people who made a difference in one child's life that they're doing it wrong. Its funny that people say DC movies are too dark, they should check out comic book message boards sometime.

Also, for all the assholes in the audience: The movie was completely crowd funded and ALL proceeds from the film go to San Francisco based charities. Freakin' people. This is why we can't have nice things.

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/batkid-begins#/story

That took all of five minutes of research.

#39 Posted by judasnixon (12663 posts) - - Show Bio

Also, for all the assholes in the audience: The movie was completely crowd funded and ALL proceeds from the film go to San Francisco based charities. Freakin' people. This is why we can't have nice things.

This so much.....

#40 Posted by Cloakx14 (9136 posts) - - Show Bio

amazing ! Batkids Rocks !

#41 Posted by SuperAdam (1168 posts) - - Show Bio

@superadam said:
@batmanbat35 said:

But the problem with that is you have a bunch of people sitting on here NOT MAKING A DIFFERENCE, talking about people who made a difference in one child's life that they're doing it wrong. Its funny that people say DC movies are too dark, they should check out comic book message boards sometime.

This is a very good point; however, how do you know the people on here aren't making a difference? You can make a difference in people's lives in rather small ways. Also, I don't think they are saying that people shouldn't have helped the kid nor that the kid should've been helped differently. I think people are trying to say that most of the people who attended the event or who are going to go watch the move or who tweeted a hashtag about the film were insincere. They were doing the right thing, but only because they wanted to feel better about themselves or because they wanted to look good, and not out of concern for the child. I don't know whether or not this is true, but the Western world does have a legitimate problem with narcissism, that other cultures don't have. A narcissist is incapable of feeling for other people, unless it benefits the narcissist.

http://www.abc.net.au/radionational/programs/allinthemind/young-people-today-are-more-narcissistic-than-ever/5457236

But I'm not criticizing this event at all. I'm simply playing Devil's advocate, and trying to explain why some people might criticize this event.

But they do bring up a good point. If you want to be a good person, you need to help people everyday, all the time in your life. Events like this are nice, but we need to make sure we're always doing the right thing and for the right reasons. So its a good thing that nothing is above criticism, because nothing is ever really as black and white as people originally think.

But I really don't know enough about the people who attended this event to know what their intentions were or anything like that, and I really don't think anyone truly knows that.

#42 Posted by entropy_aegis (20871 posts) - - Show Bio

@jayc1324 said:

Why are people acting surprised that Hollywood is making a movie to make money? That's kind of their entire thing. Making a movie to document this amazing event isn't wrong in any way, and isn't milking.

That's pretty much what I was thinking,I guess all documentaries,biopics, films based on real life events should be banned from now on.

#43 Edited by TheBlackHood (594 posts) - - Show Bio

@superadam said:
@theblackhood said:
@superadam said:
@batmanbat35 said:

This is a very good point; however, how do you know the people on here aren't making a difference? You can make a difference in people's lives in rather small ways. Also, I don't think they are saying that people shouldn't have helped the kid nor that the kid should've been helped differently. I think people are trying to say that most of the people who attended the event or who are going to go watch the move or who tweeted a hashtag about the film were insincere. They were doing the right thing, but only because they wanted to feel better about themselves or because they wanted to look good, and not out of concern for the child. I don't know whether or not this is true, but the Western world does have a legitimate problem with narcissism, that other cultures don't have. A narcissist is incapable of feeling for other people, unless it benefits the narcissist.

http://www.abc.net.au/radionational/programs/allinthemind/young-people-today-are-more-narcissistic-than-ever/5457236

But I'm not criticizing this event at all. I'm simply playing Devil's advocate, and trying to explain why some people might criticize this event.

But they do bring up a good point. If you want to be a good person, you need to help people everyday, all the time in your life. Events like this are nice, but we need to make sure we're always doing the right thing and for the right reasons. So its a good thing that nothing is above criticism, because nothing is ever really as black and white as people originally think.

But I really don't know enough about the people who attended this event to know what their intentions were or anything like that, and I really don't think anyone truly knows that.

The biggest narcissists are the people who sit on the internet and try to tell others that they aren't doing enough or the right things while they do nothing at all. How are these people "making a difference 24/7" while they sit here complaining. If there is a cause they think is more worthy of time or money, they can do it themselves. The people complaining about this likely do no charity work so they assuage their guilt by nitpicking the work of others. @pelykan how much do you do for the homeless since you assume others ignore them? @abdullahzubair since you think this was a waste on one child, what are you doing for sick children? If you're going to call out the people on this film, which is non-profit, then you sure as hell better being doing something more.

I volunteer at Elementary schools and once the school year ends I will be working at a Women and Children's shelter 3 days a week. I know I could be doing more, but I'm not the one crapping on this charity.

I really expect better out of the Comicvine community.

#44 Posted by NightFang3 (12363 posts) - - Show Bio

I might come off as a dick for saying this, but way is this here? It's not really comic book related.

#45 Posted by Cave_Duck (1430 posts) - - Show Bio

I love this story so much, and I'm glad that there's a documentary for it so this moment is cemented in time. Based on comments I've read online (some here), there's a lot of cynical a$$sholes that are trying to put this down. To all of you, you're heartless. To answer, "why can't you do this for every kid, kids are dying all the time". This was a unique situation where people were made aware of ways that they could contribute, and they chose to help out. What started as a simple Make-A-Wish snowballed into a grand event. People should simply celebrate that and quit being the typical cynical internet mob for once.

Exactly! Just look on it as a brief moment when everyone wasn't a selfish a-hole.

All of you asking "why can't they do it for every kid?" get off your high horses and make a start at changing things yourself. Its always easier to tear things down than to build them up.

Its an awesome story, and this doco helps remind us what people are capable of.

#46 Posted by AbdullahZubair (1039 posts) - - Show Bio

@theblackhood: Turning a city into gotham for 1 kid or helping 50 kids like him, which do you think is better? They both cot the same. DO you think all those people that came from all over the world to witness this came for the boy? I am a Muslim and every good muslim donates 2.5% of their money each year to various charities so yeah, I think I'm doing something. The money I donate goes to more than 1 kid who had a disease but was still able to afford food, to real people who need help.If someone donated money for his operation or medicine or something then that is okay but donating money to make him think he is batman? that is just a waste!

#47 Posted by DonFelipe (2334 posts) - - Show Bio

I might come off as a dick for saying this, but way is this here? It's not really comic book related.

Yes.

You can't stop the hype and some of us may even care. I do!
Kids are all we got. No kids = no future.

Yes, of course, it is. More than you think, apparently.

#48 Edited by TheBlackHood (594 posts) - - Show Bio

@abdullahzubair said:

@theblackhood: Turning a city into gotham for 1 kid or helping 50 kids like him, which do you think is better? They both cot the same. DO you think all those people that came from all over the world to witness this came for the boy? I am a Muslim and every good muslim donates 2.5% of their money each year to various charities so yeah, I think I'm doing something. The money I donate goes to more than 1 kid who had a disease but was still able to afford food, to real people who need help.If someone donated money for his operation or medicine or something then that is okay but donating money to make him think he is batman? that is just a waste!

You really don't get it. Every bit of the money from this film will go to help other kids. If this had never taken place, there would be no documentary. You don't get to tell people how they make a difference or what matters. By your logic, we should ignore anything that isn't the most hardcore case of need. Also, Make-a-Wish helps kids who are more than likely beyond the help of modern medicine. In this case, there was a happy ending because the child's leukemia went into remission. Taking the money from Make-a-Wish and simply distributing it to the kids in the program would often do nothing because these are seriously ill or terminally ill children. Money will not save their lives but it may make their final days memorable for them.

@cave_duck and @donfelipe Thank you, at least some people get it.

#49 Posted by I_Am_Lightning (3496 posts) - - Show Bio
Loading Video...

#50 Edited by AbdullahZubair (1039 posts) - - Show Bio

@theblackhood: so...making kids last day memorable is more important than saving a kid who is living his last day due to starvation? Some things need to be done for the greater good which you do not get. How about we end this here, as neither of us will change our opinions. Good day, sir!