Bale's Batman vs Urban's Dredd: Who wins?

• 124 results
k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

Edited By k4tzm4n  Moderator
Who's left standing?
Who's left standing?

Judge Dredd, a ruthless law enforcer who will not yield until justice is served. Batman, a stealthy combatant determined to strike fear into criminals after the tragic death of his parents. Both operate in completely different and effective ways, but what would happen if they were targeting one another? What if The Dark Knight thought Dredd is a villain in need of taking down... and what if Dredd was under the impression Batman is a criminal and the sentence is death? Would Batman's vanishing act take down Dredd or will he end up riddled with bullets? Let's discuss.

Beware, there will be spoilers about Christopher Nolan's Batman trilogy and Dredd 3D below.

Can raw skill overcome a technological edge?
Can raw skill overcome a technological edge?
== TEASER ==

To keep things simple, let's assume they're in a standard city block completely free of pedestrians. It'll be night time and they'll start at opposite ends of the block. This should be a pretty neutral scenario. After all, throwing down in Mega-City One or Gotham would give either unfair advantages. And just in case you glossed over the feature title, this is using the modern movie versions of both characters. Naturally, this is Batman in his peak physical condition. Using older and damaged Batman would be silly and biased.

Dredd's Advantages

No Caption Provided

Dredd is bringing some major advantages to the table. His standard issue firearm is quite a beast. Aside from spewing generic bullets, we saw first-hand the impressive amount of variety it packs. The weapon can launch an incendiary round that is capable of lighting up an entire section, stun blasts to subdue targets, high explosives, armor piercing rounds and much more. A clear connect with any of these to Wayne is going to be devastating and to top it off, Dredd proved he isn't a shabby shot either. At the conclusion of the first action sequence we see Dredd almost effortlessly defuse a hostage situation... by shooting the villain in the mouth. It's a shame Batman doesn't have kevlar over his mouth.

Even if Batman smacks the weapon out of his hand, Dredd showed he's no slouch in hand-to-hand as well. When another Judge tried to grapple with Dredd, the end result was having his trachea crushed. Ouch. While he's not as good as Wayne in that department, he's not someone that'll be easy to drop. He's a tough fellow and his armor is sure to soak some strikes as well. An armor piercing round ripped through his torso and the man didn't even mutter a word. That's some darn good pain tolerance.

But Dredd is much more than an advanced pistol of destruction equipped by brawn. The man's mind is disputably the most dangerous weapon of them all. If he thinks someone is guilty, he's not going to negotiate. He's not going to falter in the face of overwhelming odds or fear (a key tactic for Batman). He's going to go after his target until justice is served -- and in this case, it means a bullet in Batman.

Batman's Advantages

Stealth: not to be underestimated.
Stealth: not to be underestimated.

Yes, Dredd's lack of morals and ability to take down Gotham's hero with a single shot is a rather large advantage, but the real question is if Dredd could even shoot Batman. If having a gun was all it took to overcome him, then I imagine Batman Begins would have been an especially short movie. This isn't to downplay Dredd's talent with a firearm, but instead compliment how insanely talented Bruce Wayne has become with stealth capabilities.

For example, let's reflect on the cargo yard scene in Batman Begins. Big shot criminal Carmine Falcone is under the protection of a fair amount of gunmen. Despite being outnumbered and facing pistols and submachine guns, Batman swoops in and out of the shadows, taking them out one-by-one before they have an opportunity to get a lock on him. Sure, it's logical to assume this fodder isn't nearly as effective as the Judge, but moments like this one make it certainly fair to say Batman has become a master of stealth and hit-and-run tactics. This is absolutely a factor worth taking into account, especially in a traditional city block. Regardless of how the fight goes down, Batman won't be an easy target.

While Dredd demonstrated some ruthless brutality in his tactics, Wayne is disputably the more talented combatant. If he can get close and disarm Dredd, his advantage in technique should eventually be a game changer. While Dredd's firearm brings a lot to the battle, Bruce has a few toys of his own. His grappling gun and cape means he can move in ways Dredd might not expect and further compliments his abilities to vanish into the shadows. Aside from the standard batarangs (one bouncing off of Dredd's helmet would be hilarious), Batman also has smaller batarangs that can render a target unconscious in mere moments, sharp gauntlets on his wrists and of course, smoke pellets.

The Verdict

"I am the law" vs "I'm Batman"

While Batman definitely has what it takes to bring down Dredd, I think too many factors need to go perfectly in his favor for him to justifiably earn a victory. Gotham's hero needs to properly take advantage of the stealth provided by the environment, close the gap and then take down Dredd swiftly. It's an obstacle he can accomplish, but even if he starts laying into Dredd, there's no guarantee that the Judge won't successfully get off a lucky shot in close range. Batman is going to need at least a combo or two here. Meanwhile, Dredd just needs one clean shot. Batman's motivation to knock Dredd out instead of killing him also means he'll be holding back to some degree if and when it comes down to fisticuffs. This keeps the anti-hero in the game longer and gives him more opportunities to use his powerful pistol against DC's A-lister.

This is of course just taking into account when Batman manages to bring it face-to-face. It's also totally feasible that Dredd blasts Batman apart with his assortment of projectiles before Batman can get close. As for Batman's tranqs, they have the potential to be a huge wildcard, but it's important to note that the target zone on Dredd which is vulnerable to this weapon is very, very limited.

For me, Dredd's pain tolerance, technology and willingness to kill are key here. In the end, I think it's more likely for a battered and bruised Dredd to walk away from a dead Dark Knight.

Do you agree or disagree with this outcome? Speak your mind below!
Do you agree or disagree with this outcome? Speak your mind below!

Gregg Katzman is a freelance writer for Comic Vine and IGN Entertainment. He's happy to be alive in a year that has been so great for comic book movies.

ReVamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 13

#1  Edited By ReVamp

But... its Batman...

Avatar image for texasdeathmatch
texasdeathmatch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By texasdeathmatch

I concur. Awesome article, duder.

mk111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By mk111

Batman wins because he's Batman. 'nuff said.

GR2Blackout

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 63

#4  Edited By GR2Blackout
No Caption Provided
k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By k4tzm4n  Moderator
@mk111 said:

Batman wins because he's Batman. 'nuff said.

@ReVamp said:

But... its Batman...

This is certainly true, but it's important to keep in mind he's not "the law." 

@texasdeathmatch said:
I concur. Awesome article, duder.
Thanks, brotown.
Rixec

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#6  Edited By Rixec

You forgot to take one important factor into your reasoning: Batman always wins.

ReVamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#8  Edited By ReVamp

Still haven't watched it, so I can't decide. I'm even afraid of reading Dredd's section in this article xP

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By k4tzm4n  Moderator
@ReVamp said:

Still haven't watched it, so I can't decide. I'm even afraid of reading Dredd's section in this article xP

Yeah, take note of the spoiler warning.  Stay away until you watch it, sir!
nrgb2814

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By nrgb2814

Great article! I was thinking all of this when watching Dredd 3D!

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By k4tzm4n  Moderator
@nrgb2814 said:

Great article! I was thinking all of this when watching Dredd 3D!

Thank you and me too, man!  Happy to know I'm not the only one thinking of crazy crossovers and what ifs while watching a movie :D
Avatar image for dark_vengeance_
Dark_Vengeance_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Dark_Vengeance_

If it is movie versions, then I agree. comic book I do not.

evilvegeta74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By evilvegeta74

2 many Bat fans to post this article. Besides the bat figures out everything one way or another.Why don't you match up Dredd vs Frank Castle/Punisher? My money is on Frank!

SavageDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#14  Edited By SavageDragon

Great article

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By k4tzm4n  Moderator
@SavageDragon: Thank you and agreed. 

@DarkKnightDetective: Yes, it's the latest movie versions of both.
Avatar image for artisticneedham
ArtisticNeedham

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By ArtisticNeedham

Batman always wins. Even in a fight of Superman versus the Hulk the winner is Batman.

zackattack529

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#17  Edited By zackattack529

@mk111: Thats like saying Dredd wins because he is the LAW lol

cmaprice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By cmaprice

Nolan's Batman is really an incredibly different character than the comic Batman. 

Dredd should at least be a greater threat than movie Bane.
 If we were talking comics, Batman would win, hands down. Movies? Dredd has a serious shot.

thespideyguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By thespideyguy

@ReVamp said:

But... its Batman...

Batman always wins.

Strafe Prower

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 16

#20  Edited By Strafe Prower

Nicely done sir! I agree.

Avatar image for necrotic_lycanthrope
Necrotic_Lycanthrope

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

These two brawled before and it came out to be even I think. In fact, I think they're good friends.

pspin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 182

#22  Edited By pspin

Great article, I am happy to see Dredd winning as I am getting kind of tired of "Batman always wins."

I completely agree that while Batman has a decent chance, too many things have to be just right for him to win in a neutral or hostile (Mega City 1) environment; but I will admit that if this was in Gotham, Batman would win hands down

NXH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By NXH
Nerd Of A Hero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 94

#24  Edited By Nerd Of A Hero

@cmaprice said:

Nolan's Batman is really an incredibly different character than the comic Batman. Dredd should at least be a greater threat than movie Bane. If we were talking comics, Batman would win, hands down. Movies? Dredd has a serious shot.

This

Even so, Bats could just throw a explosive batarang to Dredd's face and call it a night

Avatar image for daredevilfan777
daredevilfan777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By daredevilfan777

I love Batman, but he is not willing to kill, which what Dredd mainly does. With guns and unsympathetic determination, Dredd has the upper-hand.

notarandomguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By notarandomguy

This is Bale's Batman, he doesn't win, it would had been Comics Batman, it was definitely Batman's win

Vincie_Pooh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#27  Edited By Vincie_Pooh

Just saw Dredd. I liked it. It does bring new life to the film. And Something about Judge Anderson really got me... But I gotta say. Even in my picture says it. BATMAN!!!!

No Caption Provided
dcfox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By dcfox

While watching I Dredd I couldn't help but think that's how Batman should sound. Deep, gravelly, and authoritative. Not Bale's high pitched lisp. Great performance by Karl Urban.

As for who would win, I would say Batman has the slight edge.

Avatar image for they_killed_cap_
They Killed Cap!

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By They Killed Cap!

I think Dredd wins in the long run... to much tech and as far as quality of movie...Dredd was so much better than DKR

Whiskeyjack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Whiskeyjack

Not a fan. Would prefer this content stay firmly in the Battles forum.

Mandrewgora

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Mandrewgora

sorry, but it's Batman. He always finds a way.

PurpleCandy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#32  Edited By PurpleCandy

I love Batman, I dont think he can win this time though. If we saw a Movie Batman fight a Movie Deathstroke, I'd go with Bats then

Avatar image for nomadicxnightmare
nomadicxnightmare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Whiskeyjack said:

Not a fan. Would prefer this content stay firmly in the Battles forum.

At least this article was written well and took into account the strengths and weaknesses of the characters, coming to a very logical conclusion. Personally I despise the battle forums because a) there is far too much trolling ('arguments' that lead to nowhere) and b) most of the time the 'victorious' combatant is seemingly determined by popularity rather then facts (Storm fans anyone?). I was actually pleasantly surprised by the conclusion of this article and I agree with it 100%. As much as I like Batman and thought Nolan's movies were fantastic, Dredd's single-minded determination, ability, arsenal, and willingness to kill would win him the day. Saying 'Batman wins because he's Batman' is simply fans basking in denial when faced with the facts.

.Longshot.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By .Longshot.

Judge Dredd has more heavy duty armor. Tranquilizer darts could be a huge wildcard in the fight to curb the disadvantage Batman gets from his no-kill policy, but the only exposed skin on Dredd is his chin and a portion of his neck. Now, a game of chicken with Dredd on his Lawmaster and Batman on his Batpod would be something I'd pay to see. In the end -and I'm saying this from a totally objective point of view- I give it to Dredd 6/10.

gammaduck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By gammaduck

Is Batman talking? Because aside from all the other "kill vs. no kill" debates, I'm convinced Bale's Bat-Voice ultimately uses up too much energy and leaves Batman lightheaded, making him an easy target for Dredd.

On the other hand, Adam West would kick Stallone's ASS!

darth_jones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By darth_jones

@Rixec said:

You forgot to take one important factor into your reasoning: Batman always wins.

There's this...

so debate closed?

lifeboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#37  Edited By lifeboy

its one of those fights that sounds fantastic but ends up being 2minutes. dredd knocked the F out and batman with the win. ( freakn loved Dredd the movie though, especially the last 20 minutes )

Bernicky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Bernicky

Dredd ftw

rasx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#39  Edited By rasx

Batman beats Dredd to a pulp and sends him crying back to Judge Anderson.

ScreamingGhost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By ScreamingGhost

Batman disables/disarms Dredd. Then Dredd loses. Batman took out a whole Swat team and Joker goons all armed with more then a pistol. Even as movie Batman I don't think Dredd stands a chance.

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By k4tzm4n  Moderator
@nomadicxnightmare said:

At least this article was written well and took into account the strengths and weaknesses of the characters, coming to a very logical conclusion. 

Thanks for the kind words.
NightFang3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#42  Edited By NightFang3

I want another Batman and Dredd crossovers.

unclekoomba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By unclekoomba

@cmaprice said:

Nolan's Batman is really an incredibly different character than the comic Batman. Dredd should at least be a greater threat than movie Bane. If we were talking comics, Batman would win, hands down. Movies? Dredd has a serious shot.

i completely agree. i'm a huge batman fan but nolan's batman is an interpretation of the batman we know and love in the comics. that being said there are going to be differences from the original character. It just so happens that those differences give him more humanistic flaws that could hinder him in a fight against dredd. ergo, i gotta give it to dredd on this one, but comics batman always wins in the end lol.

zyzyx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By zyzyx

Nice article. I haven't seen Dredd yet but based on the article I would automatically assume Dredd would win. But I think the real main problem is what toys does Batman have? He definitely have certain things that can augment his strength, or quite possibly reinvent Scarecrow's fear toxin in the first movie to confuse and disorient Dredd. What about the gadget that allowed him to summon a whole bunch of bats? It's hard to say.

Fudgie29

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Fudgie29

I think Batman will win this one. I respect the key advantages and how easy it is for Dredd to win but i think with his kind of mentality, he'll underestimate Bats. Not to mention, Batman is a great strategist and he knows his weaknesses.

x_29

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

#46  Edited By x_29

Dredd

VaizD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By VaizD

Unrelated; but I've said it once and I'll say it again -- Urban would make a wonderful both Bruce and Batman. He has a rugged enough handsomeness to portray a Wayne, but he also, as shown in Dredd, has the grit to portray a sort of brutal avenger.

So basically Urban for 2015 JL Batman.

StarKiller809

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 462

#48  Edited By StarKiller809

Batman wins... Batman ALWAYS wins...

HistoryInRust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By HistoryInRust

Comic book-Batman beats Comic book-Dredd.

Urban's Dredd beats Bale's Batman.

Avatar image for deranged_midget
Deranged Midget

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 4

#50  Edited By Deranged Midget

Brilliantly written article. Kudos to viewing the battle from each perspective and weighing in on both the strengths and weaknesses of each combatant. I view Dredd's pain tolerance and armour superior to that of Bruce's and while he is slightly lacking in the skill department, he makes up for it with his weaponry and persistance.