Posted by Subline (7820 posts) - - Show Bio
Avengers: Infinity War
Avengers: Infinity War

Why It Should Have Won:

Infinity War had some of the most amazing visual effects ever seen in cinema, instead of the film earning the 1 Award it was nominated for (Best Visual Effects), the award was given "First Man". A movie about Neil Armstrong landing on the Moon, we have already seen tons of Historical Space Movies that have had good visual effects. This was nothing outstanding nor was it deserving of it's Award, even Ready Player One for example was an incredibly stunning movie which in my opinion is also more deserving of such an award. Back on topic, Infinity War had perfect Colour Settings, perfect Character Design and generally beautiful Cinematography. I don't see how it lost.

This robbery frustrates me to a very large extent as well as many other fans of the Marvel Cinematic Universe. This is an embarrassment to Cinema.

Infinity War Shots to Finish Off:

No Caption Provided

Thanks for Reading!

#1 Posted by TheSuperor (6684 posts) - - Show Bio

I get where you are coming from. But what it boils down to for me is that IW is clearly CG, like bang in your face CG. And the CGI wasn't amazing throughout the whole movie, like Banner in the Hulkbuster was awful.

First Man blends CG greatly with practical effects and the CG feels real, it looks really realistic.

IW may have had some amazing shots, but also some really weak CG. Whereas First Man looked realistic and didn't have any standout bad CG.

#2 Posted by PenguinDust (8920 posts) - - Show Bio

I believe the awards are voted on by their peers, so other working visual effects artists thought that First Man was more impressive. Besides, it’s an honor just to be nominated, right?

#3 Posted by TonyMartial (9290 posts) - - Show Bio

Agreed

#4 Posted by Subline (7820 posts) - - Show Bio

I believe the awards are voted on by their peers,

Indeed.

Besides, it’s an honor just to be nominated, right?

Yeah I suppose that's fair.

Avatar image for chicago_bastard
#5 Edited by chicago_bastard (210 posts) - - Show Bio

@Penguin-Dust said:

I believe the awards are voted on by their peers, so other working visual effects artists thought that First Man was more impressive. Besides, it’s an honor just to be nominated, right?

The five nominees were determined solely by the VFX artists, but the winner out of the five is voted by all members of the academy.

#6 Posted by adamTRMM (9144 posts) - - Show Bio

Nah. That's would be Aquaman... That didn't even get there.

#7 Posted by chicago_bastard (210 posts) - - Show Bio

I get where you are coming from. But what it boils down to for me is that IW is clearly CG, like bang in your face CG. And the CGI wasn't amazing throughout the whole movie, like Banner in the Hulkbuster was awful.

First Man blends CG greatly with practical effects and the CG feels real, it looks really realistic.

IW may have had some amazing shots, but also some really weak CG. Whereas First Man looked realistic and didn't have any standout bad CG.

This sums it up pretty well.

I would have been okay with IW winning but I'm perfectly fine with First Man's win.

Avatar image for ready_4_madness
#8 Posted by Ready_4_Madness (15875 posts) - - Show Bio

IW wasn’t robbed at all

#9 Posted by The_Magister (13917 posts) - - Show Bio

Weak bait.

#10 Posted by rogueshadow (29254 posts) - - Show Bio

I'll cope.

#11 Posted by StellatedColt (888 posts) - - Show Bio

#12 Posted by Michaelbn (2350 posts) - - Show Bio

This is the only logical thing about this, yet.

OT: Right now I won't be surprised to see a post like "IW robbed deserved best picture" or something.

#13 Posted by Kevd4wg (12747 posts) - - Show Bio

Yes, clearly this is the greatest crime of the Oscars, that a movie with some noticeably bad CGI lost to a movie with well done combined CGI and practical effects. Not that Roma lost because old people in the academy don't like Netflix and that Green Book of all movies won

#14 Posted by loyngulpany (2707 posts) - - Show Bio

Idc about people saying that First Man deserved it. Like what? First Man has a realistic CGI spaceship we haven't seen that before right?? Oh wait.

Honestly all of the nominated movies were nothing special in terms of VFX but IW should've won that category not First Man. Aquaman also should've been nominated for that category not Mary Poppins Returns.

#15 Posted by Subline (7820 posts) - - Show Bio

@kevd4wg said:

Yes, clearly this is the greatest crime of the Oscars, that a movie with some noticeably bad CGI lost to a movie with well done combined CGI and practical effects.

Infinity War had to deal with a lot more though, there was so much more different settings and landscapes, First Man only had to deal with Space. People are saying that because of Bruce Banner's Hulkbuster that Infinity War didn't deserve a win, but this was only for a small part of the movie. All of the Bruce Banner CGI was fine up until the moment Thor arrives, which was edited "last minute". Overall it had much more cinematic and crisp shots barring the 1 Exception. There's also the creativity aspect which Infinity War nailed.

#16 Posted by Kevd4wg (12747 posts) - - Show Bio

@subline said:
@kevd4wg said:

Yes, clearly this is the greatest crime of the Oscars, that a movie with some noticeably bad CGI lost to a movie with well done combined CGI and practical effects.

Infinity War had to deal with a lot more though, there was so much more different settings and landscapes, First Man only had to deal with Space. People are saying that because of Bruce Banner's Hulkbuster that Infinity War didn't deserve a win, but this was only for a small part of the movie. All of the Bruce Banner CGI was fine up until the moment Thor arrives, which was edited "last minute". Overall it had much more cinematic and crisp shots barring the 1 Exception. There's also the creativity aspect which Infinity War nailed.

The award doesn't really have anything to deal with creativity, it's about the effects and a combination of practical affects and CGI is pretty much always more impressive then just pure CGI. And when in competition with a movie as crisp looking as First Man, any errors is a pretty big problem. Should Infinity War have won the award? Maybe. Is it enough to say it was Robbed or the Outrage of the Oscars? Obviously not

#17 Posted by MAZAHS117 (12537 posts) - - Show Bio

I mean I guess it sucks for all the VFX artist that worked hard and put in long hours on the film, these awards are really for THEM, not for us fans that like to bitch over every little thing...that said, as far as I’m concerned, the film doesn’t need an accolade to confirm that the work on Thanos alone was/is some of best visuals and mo-Cap work ever put in a film. The work speaks for itself

#18 Posted by Tomkatie (3321 posts) - - Show Bio

Every shot of an Iron Man/Hulkbuster suit without the helmet takes IW out of the running

#19 Posted by GraniteVision (3220 posts) - - Show Bio

I think Pacific Rim is on par with the IW in terms of visual effects

#20 Posted by Mrnoital (8032 posts) - - Show Bio

I think the real robbery was aquaman not even being nominated

#21 Posted by darkonast (769 posts) - - Show Bio

MCU has a bad history of VFX , they tend to be solid but alot of their movies have plain right awful cgi at times (Civil War , IW ,AoU) , it seems whoever is in-charge of their VFX is alright of at their job

#22 Posted by CyberpunkCop (3406 posts) - - Show Bio

I love the movie but they got REALLY lazy in some scenes while First Man was top notch from start to finish

#23 Posted by ThunderPrince (6968 posts) - - Show Bio

@mrnoital said:

#24 Posted by TommytheHitman (6668 posts) - - Show Bio

@mrnoital said:

Agreed. From what I've heard it might have been released too late. Maybe there's a chance it'll get included next year?

If not... well... that sucks.

#25 Posted by chicago_bastard (210 posts) - - Show Bio

@thunderprince said:
@mrnoital said:

Agreed. From what I've heard it might have been released too late. Maybe there's a chance it'll get included next year?

If not... well... that sucks.

Not a chance. It had its theatrical start in 2018 so it was only eligible for the 2019 awards.

#26 Posted by TommytheHitman (6668 posts) - - Show Bio
#27 Posted by FaradaySloth (9268 posts) - - Show Bio

Generic at best

#28 Edited by PayneInTheAss (11481 posts) - - Show Bio

Meh

#29 Posted by The_Kidd (11977 posts) - - Show Bio

No Caption Provided

#30 Edited by MonsterStomp (36762 posts) - - Show Bio

Lol. CGI was so bad I saw the wire-work and literally saw the greenscreen ripple multiple times. It was not robbed at all.

Avatar image for marvelanddcfan24
#31 Posted by MarvelandDCfan24 (7325 posts) - - Show Bio

IW CGI is overrated your bias fanboyism is showing

Avatar image for supermanforever
#32 Edited by Supermanforever (8080 posts) - - Show Bio

Aquaman should have won the visual part by far. Underwater avatar was cool as hell.