Avengers: Infinity War (2018) and Justice League (2017) are a lot more similar than you think

GermanX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By GermanX

Even though Avengers Infinity War is much better received by both critics and audience, if you take a closer look, there are many similarities in the plot between the films (Even more so than comparing between Justice League and Avengers 2012) which will have you thinking who was the one ripping off the other:

Avengers: Infinity War (2018)Justice League (2017)
Thanos invades Earth with an army of mindless OutridersSteppenwolf invades Earth with an army of mindless Parademons
Thanos seeks the Infinity Stones, a form of dismantled macguffinSteppenwolf seeks the Motherboxes, a form of dismantled macguffin
When the Infinity Stones are fully assembled, Thanos can achieve his goal of wiping out half of all life in the universe.When the Motherboxes are fully assembled, Steppenwolf can achieve his goal of terraforming Earth.
Thanos' early actions made Heimdall teleport Hulk away to Earth, so as to give them ample warning about an alien invasion.Steppenwolf's early actions made the Amazons put out a signal reaching out to Diana, so as to warn Earth about an alien invasion.
The heroes from the different stories finally came together and after some conflict and arguments, derived plans to defend Earth/defeat Thanos.The heroes from the different stories finally came together and after some conflict and arguments, derived a plan to stop Steppenwolf.
Loki/Wanda/Gamora couldn't bear to see their loved one tortured/killed, therefore allowing Thanos to get hold of an Infinity Stone.The heroes took the risk to resurrect Superman, therefore allowing Steppenwolf to grab hold of an unguarded Motherbox.
Hulk refused to return to take part in the fight against Thanos. Tony Stark was reluctant to call Steve Rogers about Earth being threatened by Thanos.Aquaman and Cyborg initially refused to join Batman and Wonderwoman respectively in helping to defend Earth.
Thor is busy elsewhere in the universe getting a weapon that can kill ThanosSuperman is busy buried underground waiting for the Justice League to resurrect him and ready for the finale
Thor's loved ones were killed, which is the catalyst for him seeking revengeSuperman's loved one (Lois Lane) woke him up from his confused state, making her the key to stopping Steppenwolf
At the last moment, a bloodlusted Thor with Stormbreaker nearly killed Thanos with a surprise attackAt the last moment, a revived Superman casually punched Steppenwolf away
At the end of the conflict, Thanos teleported awayAt the end of the conflict, Steppenwolf was forcibly teleported away
At the end of the conflict, the founding members of the Avengers are left alive.At the end of the conflict, the founding members of the Justice League are alive.

Anymore similarities not listed above? Or any comparisons you want to dispute? Discuss!

FaradaySloth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

And there’s one difference, one gets better reviews and the other doesn’t.

GermanX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

That has already been mentioned in the OP.

mrmonster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I guess this settles it; Marvel is completely reactionary

(Just a joke, don't @ me)

DeathandGrim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By DeathandGrim

Oh man you might have just discovered something no one has ever thought to even look for.

Avatar image for deactivated-5beeed406e9c9
deactivated-5beeed406e9c9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

dirtytree332

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

What a surprise, Marvel hanging onto the coat-tails of DC. No wonder JL did so well at the BO.

Avatar image for theinsufferable
TheInsufferable

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By TheInsufferable

I have a feeling of déjà vu. Haven't I seen this thread before somewhere?

BullPR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ahahahaha

Eto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Lmfao

FaradaySloth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@germanx said:
@faradaysloth said:

That has already been mentioned in the OP.

Yes, I know, I just posted it since some people don't read the whole OP

NiteLite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Except,One didn't have any strings.

JohnCena69swag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By JohnCena69swag

I have a feeling of déjà vu. Haven't I seen this thread before somewhere?

DrPepperMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

All I got from this is the op thinks JL and IW are comparable.

GermanX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By GermanX

All I got from this is the op thinks JL and IW are comparable.

Did I ever said that? All I said that the films are very similar, but I have agreed that Infinity War is a better film just as the critics and audience had said.

Oh man you might have just discovered something no one has ever thought to even look for.

Thanks. I knew I was original.

@germanx: are you GodSaveMeNow?

No

Avatar image for deactivated-5d9ffabf0f29f
deactivated-5d9ffabf0f29f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yes...a lot of stories are structured similarly and share archetypes.. because everything has been done. I'm surprised so many people do not know this...

.Jame's Cameron Avatar,The Last Samurai,Smurfs & Dancing with Wolves are all the "same" movie. >America type invades natives, some American types feel bad, they help natives fight off America type.

That doesn't mean they are off the same quality..doesn't mean one ripped off the other.....

Avatar image for lone_wolf_and_cub
Lone_Wolf_and_Cub

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Lmfao the mental gymnastics people go through to try and act like the DCEU is even remotely close to the MCU is hilarious.

depinhom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

Reaching a bit.

LawCol

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think Justice League (2017) was closer to Avengers. Loki and Steppenwolf were both lackeys of a higher power. Using teleporting cubes to summon swarming aliens. With the heroes having to unite and overcome their differences, including one of their numbers going a bit berserk. The final fight scene sees the heroes splitting time between fighting the bad guy and protecting civilians. With one of the heroes being able to man-handle the main villain. In the end the heroes win and high fives all around.

ReaperTheGrim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yes...a lot of stories are structured similarly and share archetypes.. because everything has been done. I'm surprised so many people do not know this...

.Jame's Cameron Avatar,The Last Samurai,Smurfs & Dancing with Wolves are all the "same" movie. >America type invades natives, some American types feel bad, they help natives fight off America type.

That doesn't mean they are off the same quality..doesn't mean one ripped off the other.....

So much this

loyngulpany

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It just happens to have the same plot. Like others said above. It's common for a movie to have a similar plot to the other movies that came out before it.

For example:

Deadpool 2 has the same plot as Terminator 2

Ever since Die Hard came out a lot of movies copied the "Die Hard formula" where the terrorists kidnapped the innocent people. Speed, Under Siege and Air Force One are some examples of Die Hard ripoffs.

Michaelbn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Lmfao

all of CBMs are not only similar but also exactly the same, for me. Minus some of them

solar_nerd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

You know, I've felt like IW was JL done right.