Avatar - Waterbending is the Best Element

geekryan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

Waterbending is the strongest and most overpowered element in the Avatar-verse.

Thoughts?

Jacthripper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

I think he's reaching. It's important to remember that while we have seen plenty of fodder Firebenders and Earthbenders, we didn't really see any weak Waterbenders throughout the series, as the only "fodder" we saw were bending under the power of the Full Moon. Bending is only as strong as the user. Bumi tosses houses casually. Aang stops volcanoes with a breath. Toph holds up giant libraries. Iroh slayed dragons. It just depends on the strength of the bender, not the strength of the element.

Traditionally, without getting into the sub-powers.

• Fire is the most powerful offensively. It is difficult to avoid, and can nearly kill a person in a single shot (such as when Azula hit Iroh in the chest.)
  • Earth is the most powerful defensively. While it can take time, Earth is the only element that can build things that last. Walls, tunnels, etc.
  • Air is the most maneuverable. This is undeniable. We saw increased speed as a trait of this element, and transportation becomes casual (a sneeze sends Aang 20 feet into the air).
  • Water is the most versatile. It can change from liquid to solid, shield or lance, etc.
Lunacyde

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#4 Lunacyde  Moderator
geekryan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think he's reaching. It's important to remember that while we have seen plenty of fodder Firebenders and Earthbenders, we didn't really see any weak Waterbenders throughout the series, as the only "fodder" we saw were bending under the power of the Full Moon. Bending is only as strong as the user. Bumi tosses houses casually. Aang stops volcanoes with a breath. Toph holds up giant libraries. Iroh slayed dragons. It just depends on the strength of the bender, not the strength of the element.

Traditionally, without getting into the sub-powers.

• Fire is the most powerful offensively. It is difficult to avoid, and can nearly kill a person in a single shot (such as when Azula hit Iroh in the chest.)
  • Earth is the most powerful defensively. While it can take time, Earth is the only element that can build things that last. Walls, tunnels, etc.
  • Air is the most maneuverable. This is undeniable. We saw increased speed as a trait of this element, and transportation becomes casual (a sneeze sends Aang 20 feet into the air).
  • Water is the most versatile. It can change from liquid to solid, shield or lance, etc.

While I agree with the first part of your post and that the strength of the bender is what matters most, I do think that waterbending, being the most versatile, is the most overpowered element.

We've seen more cases of a single blast of fire just knocking opponents back or down than cases where a single blast outright kills the target.

Water has been shown to be just as durable and just as long-lasting as earth; take for example the structure and walls of the Southern Water Tribe.

Air is definitely superior in mobility, but we've seen examples of characters surfing on water and catching up to/outpacing a motor boat (Desna and Eska) and using massive water spouts (Korra).

Each element (except air) has a sub-skill, but bloodbending is hands down the most OP, and water is the only element that can heal. It has the most control over an opponent's body. Not only that, but they get amped every night and massively-amped once a month.

Lunacyde

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Lunacyde  Moderator

I think he has some valid points, but I also think he's stretching it on a few points as well. For example, suggesting that any average waterbender could do what Korra did to the mech. Under no circumstance does that make any sense. Even without the Avatar State the avatar has a natural affinity for bending and generally is trained to a much higher degree than your average bender. Just to move on to the next element they need to "master" whatever element they are currently learning. Just because an avatar is not using the avatar state does not mean just any average waterbender could replicate the feat.

I think water is slightly overpowered, but certainly not massively so. Let's not forget that to the average waterbender there are many environments where they are severely handicapped, if not useless.

geekryan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By geekryan

@lunacyde said:

I think he has some valid points, but I also think he's stretching it on a few points as well. For example, suggesting that any average waterbender could do what Korra did to the mech. Under no circumstance does that make any sense. Even without the Avatar State the avatar has a natural affinity for bending and generally is trained to a much higher degree than your average bender. Just to move on to the next element they need to "master" whatever element they are currently learning. Just because an avatar is not using the avatar state does not mean just any average waterbender could replicate the feat.

I think water is slightly overpowered, but certainly not massively so. Let's not forget that to the average waterbender there are many environments where they are severely handicapped, if not useless.

I agree completely, on both accounts!

I also personally believe that the feat was done in the AS, but we don't see her face so there is no proof.

Lunacyde

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Lunacyde  Moderator
Dogzee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Waterbending is the weakest. It always had stupid fanboys because of bloodbending. Also it's 2019 how is this even relevant

joshua755

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dogzee: lol the new live action Avtar show that Netflix is making make this pretty much Relevant

geekryan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dogzee said:

Waterbending is the weakest. It always had stupid fanboys because of bloodbending. Also it's 2019 how is this even relevant

Why are you even commenting on this? Run along now little troll

Lunacyde

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Lunacyde  Moderator

Like 5 people in the history of waterbending have been capable of bloodbending, and everyone outside one family could only do it during a full moon. I don't know that's enough to say overall it makes waterbending more powerful.

Magian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

Waterbending is quite powerful and versatile as others have already pointed out here but the fact that it can be rendered useless in some situations/environments severely hampers its effectiveness and use.

anthp2000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 anthp2000  Moderator  Online

I didn't watch the video yet, but my idea has always been that airbending is the most overpowered type of bending, excluding sub-elements like bloodbending. Wateberding is certainly the most versatile though, undeniably, and it's by far my favourite of the 4.

Lunacyde

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Lunacyde  Moderator

I was always a fan of airbending. I think you can make a valid argument for just about any element.

deathstroke512

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Waterbending was quite powerful.A serious waterbender could cut his/her enemies to pieces but they never showed it except for Katara quickly cutting that swamp monster.

FaradaySloth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Earthbending is GOAT

geekryan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@deathstroke512: True! Ming Hua in S3 of LoK was able to slice through a stone statue

helloman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

That's interesting.

Avatar image for americanspeeddemon
americanspeeddemon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

I think Waterbending was pretty equal maybe slightly ahead in TLA but Korra made it overpowered with Psychic Bloodbending without a full moon and spirit bending. I think the other bendings could have just as much versatility if they were pushed but it comes easier to waterbenders due to the inherent versatility of the element.

Also they might have perhaps the best power feats in the whole series I mean Tonraq and two fodders could do this.

No Caption Provided

Avatar image for supermanwithatan01
Supermanwithatan01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ignoring some of the lame stuff of LoK, my favorite was Airbending. I disliked everyone knowing metal bending and the "lava" bending, and stuff... but I enjoyed Amon more than any villain from TLA with the exception of Azula.

Fire was probably the most powerful of the 4 elements.

Dogzee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Emanresu_20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I can make a solid case for air bending.

- Acessable anywhere unlike

- can me used to slash and pierce like water

1. can form a dome like water for defense

2. Super Speed and flight

3. Seem to be the most agile and to me they seem to have the most efficient way of fighting

4. you can suffocate someone just by removing air from the environment

5. it seems to be efficient against more elements like Fire and Earth Bending. Water is only efficient against Earth bending in a watery environment and vis versa.

However I can see Water being the more versatile.

cokirules

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@emanresu_20:

you can also maybe hunt ppl u dont like if you have access to Astral Projection