Avatar: The Last Airbender/The Legend of Korra | Chapters Popularity Contest

cocacolaman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By cocacolaman  Moderator

Here we will be comparing each chapter of the 3 Books of Avatar: The Last Airbender and the 4 Books of The Legend of Korra with each other to see which chapter is voted as the best of them all. We will start by voting out the absolute worst episode of the show to give an even number, then move forward in rounds comparing two chapters until we reach a conclusion.

Everyone is allowed a single vote, may change their vote up until the end of the round, and may argue why others should vote like them.

At the end of the first round, voters may choose 2 chapters that made it through to eliminate and 2 eliminated matches to come back. At the end of the second round, voters may choose 1 chapter to eliminate and 1 to bring back, whether it was eliminated in the first or second round.

mrmonster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Count me in

anthp2000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By anthp2000  Moderator

Good, good. I would not mind seeing the glorious return of the badgermoles yet again.

KorraAlone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

YESS THIS IS THE TOURNAMENT I'VE BEEN WAITING FOR,

I was actually thinking of making this in the future but thank God I dont have to deal with the work

*manifesting Korra Alone and Venom of the Red Lotus in the top 5*

cocacolaman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 cocacolaman  Moderator

I suppose we could go ahead and start voting out the worst episode. I'm not entirely sure what that would be but for now I'll vote out Book 2: Spirits, Episode 5, Peacekeepers until someone lists a worse episode.

anthp2000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By anthp2000  Moderator
@cocacolaman said:

I suppose we could go ahead and start voting out the worst episode. I'm not entirely sure what that would be but for now I'll vote out Book 2: Spirits, Episode 5, Peacekeepers until someone lists a worse episode.

Peacekeepers had a decent fight scene in the climax, between Korra and her cousins. I would vote out The Spirit of Competition; it did nothing to move the plot forward, the only action that was included was pro-bending, and it only perpetuated the love triangle, which was likely the weakest part of the series -- and surprisingly, it did not originate from Spirits.

BOC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nice, keep me in.

I'll vote out The Great Divide, of course.

Co-Boss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Co-Boss

I’m down for this, gotta review the individual episodes again though

I honestly might vote remembrances, ATLA had one of the best recap episodes I’ve ever seen and TLOK really didn’t follow in their footsteps and it added no real flair imo (I might change to the great divide later though)

KorraAlone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By KorraAlone

The Waterbending Scroll <--This is my choice

The Sting

anthp2000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 anthp2000  Moderator

The next person that votes for the Canyon Guide's sole appearance to be excluded is getting blocked for certain.

cocacolaman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 cocacolaman  Moderator
@cocacolaman said:

Peacekeepers had a decent fight scene in the climax, between Korra and her cousins. I would vote out The Spirit of Competition; it did nothing to move the plot forward, the only action that was included was pro-bending, and it only perpetuated the love triangle, which was likely the weakest part of the series -- and surprisingly, it did not originate from Spirits.

Good enough for me, I'm changing my vote to yours

Votes so Far

2 for Spirit of Competition

1 for Great Divide

eslay03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

I vote for the Canyon Guide’s sole appearance as spite for ANTHP’s anti-probending agenda.

KorraAlone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Smh, Korra didn't take out an entire probending team on her own to get disrespected like this

Even though the relationship drama was cringe, the action was great

eslay03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By eslay03

Side note: I’ve always said that if it wasn’t for Kyoshi being…Kyoshi, “Avatar Day” would be a worse episode than “The Great Divide”.

May change my vote to one of the first two episodes of Book 2: Spirits though. There’s so much I dislike about those.

KorraAlone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

*mentally preparing myself for the selective amnesia people have about the quality of ATLA Book 1*

anthp2000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 anthp2000  Moderator

@eslay03 said:

I vote for the Canyon Guide’s sole appearance as spite for ANTHP’s anti-probending agenda.

No Caption Provided

anthp2000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 anthp2000  Moderator

@co-boss said:

I’m down for this, gotta review the individual episodes again though

I honestly might vote remembrances, ATLA had one of the best recap episodes I’ve ever seen and TLOK really didn’t follow in their footsteps and it added no real flair imo (I might change to the great divide later though)

Remembrances is definitely the most filler chapter in the series, and it's a semi-clip episode at that, which reduces the rewatch value by a lot, but can anyone truly deny the greatness of this:

Loading Video...
eslay03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By eslay03

All canyon-sized jokes aside, I’m super glad that Cola is doing this! I’m PUMPED!

Other than the obvious fan-favorites, I’m rooting heavily for “The Warriors of Kyoshi”, “The Headband”, “The Firebending Masters”, and “A Leaf in the Wind”. They’re all extremely underrated.

Jucaslucasa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'd say the last episode of Korra's second season, it was prob the only episode that had me staring at the screen wondering what the hell was even happening.

BigDreamer48

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'll participate. I'll come back with my vote later.

Avatar image for supremegeneration
SupremeGeneration

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Great Divide to spite ANTHP

viking1205

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Great Divide quite easily

anthp2000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 anthp2000  Moderator
No Caption Provided

Azronger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Azronger

"The Spirit of Competition." If you only have 12 episodes to tell a story, you don't waste one of them on an atrocious love triangle and bring the plot to a halt - you just don't. "The Great Divide" and other bore-fests aren't quite as egregious because ATLA has longer seasons and is structurally more episodic, so those episodes don't damage the overall product as much, nor do they start worthless, frustrating side plots that ripple into later episodes.

BigDreamer48

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'll vote for Rebel Spirit for now. While the Great Divide, Avatar Day, Remembrances etc. are not my favorites, I don't remember finding myself feeling terribly negative after watching them, and they each had a moment that I thoroughly remember enjoying.

I loved Book 1 of Korra, and going into Book 2 was just kind of a let down and didn't get me all that hyped with this episode. It just didn't transition well for me.

I know this is probably an unpopular opinion, but nothing else is really sticking out to me as an episode that I actually disliked, so I may change my vote later.

anthp2000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 anthp2000  Moderator

@bigdreamer48: You know, I gave up on the series after Rebel Spirit first aired.

KorraAlone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

LOK season 2 is gonna suffer in this tournament lol

KaiserRebellion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Book 3 korra an auto win no?

BOC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

LOK season 2 is gonna suffer in this tournament lol

No Caption Provided

cj_the_dj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Idk why "Remembrances" is getting so much hate. It does its part in developing Korra's character and the episode itself was absolutely hilarious to watch.

OT - It's been 3(?) years since I watched ATLA, so I don't think me voting anything out would be at all fair.

Tektonic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Smh, Korra didn't take out an entire probending team on her own to get disrespected like this

Even though the relationship drama was cringe, the action was great

This. That sequence carries it. The love triangle stuff was just typical teen angst. And we got our first intro into the wolfbats and the setup for the final match.

In regards to worst(stuff like The Sting or TGD are possible), I'll just say this for now.

nothing else is really sticking out to me as an episode that I actually disliked, so I may change my vote later.

cocacolaman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 cocacolaman  Moderator

AAAAAND WE BEGIN!

The Great Divide has been kicked out by the power of democracy. Synopses taken from the Avatar wiki.

No Caption Provided

Perusal 1, Session 1

The Legend of Korra Book 1: Air, Chapter 4, "The Voice in the Night"

No Caption Provided

Mako meets Asami Sato in a small accident, leading to a romantic date and her introducing him to her father, Hiroshi Sato, who offers to sponsor the Fire Ferrets in the Pro-bending Tournament. Meanwhile, Korra is coerced into joining Councilman Tarrlok's task force, intending to rid the city of Equalists. She later challenges Amon to a duel at Aang Memorial Island, which ends up being a trap, during which he warns her of his upcoming plans.

VS.

The Legend of Korra Book 2: Spirits, Chapter 8, "Beginnings, Part 2"

No Caption Provided

Wan shows Korra how he learned the other three elements and the reason why he eventually merged with Raava and became the first Avatar. His story makes Korra realize what she must do to restore balance to the physical and Spirit World. As she wakes up, she is alerted by the shaman that Harmonic Convergence is drawing near.

cocacolaman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

cocacolaman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 cocacolaman  Moderator

I'll vote Beginnings, quite easily.

Co-Boss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Co-Boss

I actually find the beginnings episodes quite charming, especially bc I like the final fight. If put up against a much weaker episode I think it could win but Voice in the Nights ending holds so much power for Korra's character and overall is a pretty good episode.

So, beginnings gets the vote to go

Edits: WHOOPS I vote for Voice in the Nights, although as I said before Beginnings is a good episode and I think the arc gets too much hate

Jucaslucasa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I liked how Korra got too cocky and started being terrified of Amon as a result, and I dislike Beginnings overall anyway, so I'll go with the former.

cocacolaman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 cocacolaman  Moderator

@jucaslucasa: @co-boss: Just to be clear, we're voting which one goes forward, not which one leaves.

BigDreamer48

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Beginnings Part 2

viking1205

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Beginnings 2

KorraAlone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By KorraAlone

I loved Legend of Korra since the first episode, because of the sense of wonder and fun it seemed to radiate in its first 2 episodes, especially within Korra herself, she's just a teenager who's gotten her first taste of freedom whilst also dealing with her frustrations in life

Then the Revelation comes, during this episode we see Korra witness Amon take away someone's bending completely, rendering them shattered

This haunts and leaves a noticeable impact on her, which is explored in the next episode and the one I'll be discussing today

In this episode we see the normally eager and temperamental Korra acting almost deflated, refusing to join Tarrlok's task force and instead throwing herself into her training to try and avoid her feelings, which draws immense concern from Tenzin, but Korra refuses to acknowledge her fear and instead builds up a thick visage of strength to hide how scared she truly is.

During this episode we see her being manipulated by Tarrlok, with him throwing a party in her honor that acts as the perfect stage to explore her character and the depths of her insecurity.

Korra is faced with the fact that she doesnt deserve this honor by Lin, a precise blow to her ego that increases her insecurity.

Then she is reminded that people expect "great things" from her,which feeds into her doubt and desire to prove herself as a worthy avatar, as well as making her insecure about her lack of accomplishment.

Finally she meets Asami, someone who she subconsciously sees as better than herself, seen in her descriptions of her as the "beautiful, rich girl" who is now with the boy she likes.

All these interactions poke holes into the armor that Korra has put up, and after a night of self doubt and insecurity, she makes a terrible decision stemming from her bruised ego, and joins Tarrlok's task force after being pressured by the press, lest she admit her fears and be seen as (in her eyes) the coward and fraud she is, that she contains and hides deep, deep down from the judgmental and expectant eyes of the world.

However her mission with Tarrlok is a success!, and as the saying goes, "Pride comes before the fall",and so Korra makes the absolutely awful decision to try and further prove her bravery to both the world and herself.

Lured into a false sense of security that is quickly shattered by Amon's appearance and swift defeat of her, Amon has her completely at his mercy, and she knows it. The way he communicates with her is very disturbing with how raw and personal it is, and his promise To "destroy her", not kill, not end, but destroy, shows how deeply he understands her, how obvious her little show was to him, and the palpable fear she has of him, of what he can do to her.

This whole episode is designed to show how far Korra will go to project an appearance of power and strength as well as why she acts like this. She doesn't want to disappoint the world, she has to be strong enough to deal with this on her own.

Yet at the end of the episode we don't see Korra the Warrior, or Korra the Avatar, but rather Korra, the teenage girl who is completely and utterly terrified, but having taken the first major step in releasing her fear.

This episode also explores the political importance of the Avatar, with Tarrlok's persistent efforts to get Korra on his side showing the positive influence her support would have on his cause, because in times of trouble, people always look towards the Avatar for help. The Avatar is a symbol of power, security and heroism on a worldwide scale, and so(throughout the entire series but specifically here) Korra struggles massively to reconcile her own human fears and struggles with the incredible, mythical legacy of those that came before her, especially her direct predecessor.

Someone on Reddit said that this episode is like the Storm Of LOK and I agree 100%. With how it completely deconstructs our protagonist and reveals so much about them, it's one of my favorite episodes of LOK and one that teaches an invaluable lesson

KorraAlone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By KorraAlone

Voice in the Night, even though Beginnings is excellent, this episode is in my top 5 episodes

Glad I got to whip out my analysis so early

BOC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The 'Beginnings' arc, while not bad, is definitely the weakest part of LoK for me.

So, The Voice in The Night, easily.

KorraAlone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Korra sobbing into Tenzin's arms, reverted into a childlike state out of fear, is one of the most heartbreaking moments.

Azronger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

"The Voice in the Night"

viking1205

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Changing my vote after reading Mickey's analysis. Voting for Voice in the night.

KorraAlone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By KorraAlone
Jucaslucasa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers