Avatar: The Last Airbender - Book 2 vs Book 3

ganon15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Poll Avatar: The Last Airbender - Book 2 vs Book 3 (32 votes)

Book 2 41%
Book 3 59%

Which season do you prefer and why?

No Caption Provided

• 
Aystarr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By Aystarr

It used to be book 2 for the longest time for me but now it's book 3 because it has my favorite episodes. It changes everytime tho.

mrmonster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Book 3.

Sozin's Comet is an absolute masterpiece.

EmmaFrostXmen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By EmmaFrostXmen

book 3 but it’s close. either curbstomp season 1 which is a 6/10 for me and is carried by its finale and some zuko moments.

cocacolaman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 cocacolaman  Moderator

Book 2. I consider Book 2 to be a masterpiece made up of great episodes, while Book 3 is a great season made up of masterpieces.

wholewheat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By wholewheat

book 2

i prefer a more serial style with a moving, complex plot.

the entire ba sing se arc is much more of an intricate plot compared to anything in book 3, which was more episodic.

i also love the setting of ba sing se

that said, it's very close. my favorite episode is "the avatar and the firelord", there are very very good one off episodes in book 3. it's just not enough individually to overcome the strength of book 2's cohesiveness

Avatar image for supermanwithatan01
Supermanwithatan01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Book 2 is great but Book 3 is damn near perfect, and the only thing the finale was missing was Gran Gran imo

Avatar image for wordsbeyondfic0
WordsBeyondFic0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Book 3 wrapped everything up perfectly. 10/10 worth for the finale.

killbilly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 killbilly  Moderator

Book 2 > Book 1 > Book 3.

Zafros13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Zafros13  Online

Series finale is the best episode so it puts S3 ahead.

Edgelord91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

As a whole season 2 wins but that finale 😎

Avatar image for marygcrisostomo
marygcrisostomo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Book 3 had more mature story lines which is more enjoyable for me as an adult

ganon15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

That's a new one! Care to elaborate why?

BigBaby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Book 2

killbilly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By killbilly  Moderator
@ganon15 said:
@killbilly said:

That's a new one! Care to elaborate why?

I've been thinking of how I wanted to answer this to the point I considered providing mini summaries/reviews for each episode but I think I want to save that for a full dive where I cover every episode in a future project so I'll just give a brief summary of how the seasons compare and some of the aspects that stood out.

Season 1 of course introduces the character's and establishes their core aspects and goals and how that impacts the dynamics between them. This is done naturally through a somewhat episodic "adventure of the week" style format that always manages to teach some sort of lesson that helps Aang to understand his duties as Avatar better while also expanding the world around them and making it feel more natural and lived in.

The first truly serious moment in the series is of course when Aang discovers the corpse of his former mentor and father figure Monk Gyatso. This discovery gives real weight to Aang's mission to stop the Fire Nation while also introducing the idea that Aang's avoidance of his responsibility is what lead to this outcome, something that he had been avoiding until faced with the reality of it ( magnified by it being such a personal loss ). This is followed up in the episode "The Storm" wherein Aang's guilt and trauma resurface and we're we're show that the isolation and crushing weight of responsibility capped off by the belief that he is about to be separated from his guardian who was the one source of shelter from all that caused him to run away which, in his mind, lead to the deaths of everyone he ever cared about.

Aside from the aforementioned episodes and the finale though, most episodes from the first season stick to the "adventure of the week" format. Actually, thinking about it, I probably would place season 3 above season 1. The main problems with season 3 is moreso the finale for me which, while I enjoyed immensely, is a bit of a copout in that it relieves Aang ( and the audience ) of the burden of having to choose between killing the Firelord to save the world or sticking to his pacifistic ideals and refusing to take a life by what is essentially a Deus ex machina in the form of the Lion Turtle and "Energy-bending." Other than that, there are very few problems with season 3 other than that it sort of feels like it's spinning its wheels with more episodic material ( similar to season 1 ) up until The Boiling Rock episodes ( wish they'd devoted some of that time spent on random Fire Nation episodes building up Azula's mental decline in the finale ).

Season 2 for me has the least flaws and the most interesting material.

Zuko's personal struggle, Toph introduction to the Gaang, Azula, Ty Lee and Mai as a threat both to our main cast, to the increasingly sympathetic Zuko and Iroh and, more broadly, the enemies of the Fire Nation. Ba Sing Se, the Dai Li, even the effect of the war itself on the common people. It all building upon the base setup for it in season 1 but more importantly, all of the material feels more connected than it does in season 1. It feels like it's actually building on itself as opposed to merely expanding it's own little corner of the world disconnected from everything else. I think that the themes and direction of the series were a lot more in focus by this point in the show in general.

MrBlackDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Aww come on why can't we enjoy all of the books? They are a masterpiece!

Thank you for reading this post! :D

-Mr. BlackDragon

Avatar image for marygcrisostomo
marygcrisostomo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Book 3 had more mature story lines which is more enjoyable for me as an adult

JasonHickman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By JasonHickman
@wholewheat said:

book 2

i prefer a more serial style with a moving, complex plot.

the entire ba sing se arc is much more of an intricate plot compared to anything in book 3, which was more episodic.

i also love the setting of ba sing se

that said, it's very close. my favorite episode is "the avatar and the firelord", there are very very good one off episodes in book 3. it's just not enough individually to overcome the strength of book 2's cohesiveness

I also find a very good essay on book 2 that I really like. It describes very well my opinion of book 2 and why I like it so much. You can read it here https://assignmentbro.com/ca/homework-help and also find a lot of quality content. Also, thanks to this site I found other books for reading.

I completely agree with you, book 2 is a masterpiece

kataraaaa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

idk if a show will ever leave me as invested as ATLA book 2

skywalker95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I love both but Book 3. Zuko finally joining Team Avatar gives it the edge.

And Sozin's Comet beats any episode in season 2.

cocacolaman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 cocacolaman  Moderator
No Caption Provided

Tektonic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Gonna have to go with Season 3.

Day of Black Sun and Sozin's Comet Part 1-4 are just too good.

Avatar image for deactivated-64969837cbeff
deactivated-64969837cbeff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Book 2. I consider Book 2 to be a masterpiece made up of great episodes, while Book 3 is a great season made up of masterpieces.