Avatar: The Last Airbender & The Legend of Korra: Best Fight / Battle Scenes Tournament (Closed)

Avatar image for indomitableregal
IndomitableRegal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

@indomitableregal said:

Beifongs vs. Earth Empire stomps. Azula and her team had some very fortuitous matchups.

They knocked out the Earth Palace Invasion, which was then revived at the end of Stage 1, Roku's Temple, and Korra Vs. Tarrlok. I wouldn't call any of this lucky.

All of those are on the lower tier of the Battle spectrum. So yeah, I would say it was lucky.

anthp2000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3302 anthp2000  Moderator

Much wrong today.

Azronger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cocacolaman@eslay03@tektonic@bigdreamer48@emmafrostxmen@supremegeneration

Fear not, comrades, we may have lost the battle, but we have not lost the war. We will foment dissent. We will sharpen our knives. We will plot, day and night, to exact retribution for this sacrilege. Patient in the light, vigilant in the shadows, we will bide our time, concentrate our power, and when the opportunity presents itself, we will unfurl the untrammeled fury of our goddess upon these heretics.

Cola, load your thread spam cannon. There is work to be done.

Azronger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

OT: Operation Beifong.

ElissaS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@incursion2 said:

Palace invasion :)

Yesssss, like, the finals are sooooooooooooooooooooooo overrated.....

Tektonic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tektonic: They talked about it for two pages, just like with every other significant sequence... four or five if you want to include them just talking about the locations of the episode and some extra storyboards from all season at the end.

I include set piece pages directly related to the fight as in where they fought over, because they explain how it adds to the grandness and scale of the fight. But just to clarify.

Pg. 162, 163, 170(Set Piece Pages the fight takes place at)

Pg 164, 165, 167, 174, 175(Talk about and show the fight itself)

Pg 172, 173(Korra fighting the poison with the RL)

Pg 185(Ancillary Art referencing fight)

Also when you say other significant sequences, it actually is why I see how much they value this fight specifically Ant.

I won't bring up the ATLA artbooks because to be fair they were in general wayyy smaller, so even Aang vs Ozai gets little attention. But as far as LOK artbooks are concerned:

Korra vs Amon, Vaatu, Unalaq, Kuvira(R2) - 0 Pages(Bizarre I know)

Korra vs Unavaatu - Pg. 154, 164, 166, 168, 169(Talk about fight)

Pg. 155, 165, 167(Set piece and designs)

Korra vs Kuvira R1(74, 75, 80)

So the one that comes closest is the Kaiju fight, out of the four books, which really emphasizes the importance and value of these two final battles.

And they didn't say it was the greatest, they said it was their favorite.

Yes he said it was his favorite, but he briefly explained why as a professional in the industry. And quipped it was good enough to show to his grandkids.

Michael also as someone familiar with Joaquim's career in action sequences said it was very impressive even within his long resume, and also briefly explained why.

Let's chill for a moment. This ranking is not objective by any means.

That's fine, I just enjoy repping for Korra and am glad it came this close.

geekryan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Beifongs vs Kuvira

EvyHL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Operation Beifong

cocacolaman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3309 cocacolaman  Moderator

@azronger:

Cola, load your thread spam cannon. There is work to be done

Sadly, I'm finishing my Eslay competition story so no spam for a couple of days. Unless we get the extension. Then it's on.

cocacolaman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3310 cocacolaman  Moderator

Operation Beifong.

And if I'm not wrong, the last round will be the Agni Kai vs Catacombs. Sad that great scenes like Crossroads, Zaheer vs Korra and the Lotus vs Zaofu are out, but it was inevitable I suppose.

eslay03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

@azronger:

Cola, load your thread spam cannon. There is work to be done

Sadly, I'm finishing my Eslay competition story so no spam for a couple of days. Unless we get the extension. Then it's on.

You know that’s right. ;)

anthp2000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3312 anthp2000  Moderator

Look at this Azula tier sneakery. Smh.

Avatar image for deactivated-60c7ec0cc5374
deactivated-60c7ec0cc5374

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No Caption Provided

Korra vs Kuvira

F***

bless u, i should report this spite thread.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Loading Video...

Korra vs Zaheer was, without doubt, the best fight in The Legend of Korra.

Starting off, these guys are a threat. I don't believe for one moment anyone ever thought the Siege of the North would end in anyone's favor but the good guys', since the show had a clear end goal: Aang vs Ozai (one of the two fights better than this one). But in this situation, not only is Korra facing an unprecedented threat in the form of a modern-day airbender, she's facing a modern-day airbender who wants to kill her and do so in the Avatar State specifically. On a personal level, Zaheer was more of a threat to Korra than anyone else was, and he showed the means to do it here by poisoning her and... waiting. We watch as Korra helplessly endures mental and physical torture, trying to keep from going into the Avatar State because the very thing that could help her, we are led to believe would doom her, and we already know that it will, inevitably, happen. But until then, we have to wait and watch as Korra experiences untold pain.

And we're scared. Because this might be truly be the end for Korra.

Then she goes into the Avatar State. She fights back, dominating her opponents, but that's ok for them. Because they don't have to fight, they just have to stall. And that's what Zaheer does, Korra falling for the ploy because she's no longer herself. In the single best animation we've ever seen, Korra chases Zaheer like a starving lion chasing a gazelle, the momentum endless and the power of the walking natural disaster that the Avatar State is on full display. Zaheer doesn't fight fairly, not really fighting at all. It's frustrating because, in the back of our minds, we know that Korra isn't in Aang's situation. Even though she may not have a problem killing Zaheer, she has to catch him. And where Aang was in control, Korra has none. Where Ozai was a helpless man fleeing for his life, Zaheer is biding his time until he can accomplish his goal. It's no longer a story; it's unmistakably real.

Korra getting Zaheer with water takes a burden off our shoulders. For one moment, Korra has taken control, and we know that's all the Avatar needs- one moment. And she goes to capitalize on it....

Then the poison takes over and ten burdens are shoved back on our shoulders. The god has bled. Zaheer's moving slower when he flies back up because he's no longer rushing. He knows what we know.

He's won.

There's the ace in the hole being knocked around like a piece of paper. In a matter of moments, the greatest hope of the series, the deus ex machina, the Superman that saves the day has been taken down. There's nothing logical that can happen to save Korra here, and with Zaheer's words, we truly believe he may accomplish what the Crown Princess Azula, Fire Lord Ozai, even the Dark Avatar himself could not and, with nothing more than the skill of a novice and some cheap tricks, end the Avatar Cycle. For good.

Zaheer's move he used on the Earth Queen, a terrifying scene in and of itself, only furthers our fears. It's only a moment away.

But then the airbenders step in and, with teamwork, not even Zaheer could overpower them. He struggles to get away, but with triumphant happiness, we realize what's happening.

Zaheer's losing.

In that moment of happiness, we forget the important issue. And it's brought back to our attention when Korra falls down and we realize that Zaheer's capture doesn't mean Zaheer's loss. Because Korra's about to die, and we can't imagine a way she'll escape it. Even when we're given the shimmer of light that Suyin might save her, we still aren't certain till the poison comes out and Korra's eyes aren't white. This still isn't the end, of course, since the fight drives the expertly written arc Korra has in book 4.

The only bad thing about the fight is the Bolin gag at the end. But even the big 2 had their notable flaws. This fight was a simple masterpiece and the Siege of the North isn't even close to it.

right!!!

incursion2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The salt from Korra v Zaheer losing lol.

OT: I'll give operation beifong the edge here

KorraAlone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm sickened, literally gagged at Korra vs Zaheer, the masterpiece that it is in terms of meaning, themes and animation, was robbed again

I prepared a whole essay about how great this fight is, to try and campaign to get it into the finale

Korra fans are left starving as usual😞

OT: Operation Beifong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

azula's fight ofc. operation is poop.

Avatar image for supremegeneration
SupremeGeneration

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@korraalone: post your essay, let them know how they ducked it up!

chloros

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Voting for The Beifong Family vs The Earth Empire. This is close, but the chic metalbending and Beifong family all working together wins it for me. I am happy Ozai's Angels and The Kyoshi Warriors made it this far.

KorraAlone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3321  Edited By KorraAlone

@supremegeneration: lol I plan to

Also Ozai's Angels vs the Kyoshi Warriors should've stopped at Korra vs Tarrlok but that's neither here nor there

anthp2000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3322 anthp2000  Moderator

Operation Beifong moves forward, 16 - 3.

No Caption Provided

==========================================================================

@mike_strike10@bigdreamer48@amnesiak@the_amongus@highmantra_x0sp@cj_the_dj@nathanthecynic@indomitableregal@eslay03@cocacolaman@supremegeneration@leonhardt@viking1205@geekryan@mrmonster@chloros@incursion2@rabumalal@haxxxz@staticspeedstrr@nevesytneves@vengefulshot@deathhero61@aystarr@blackspidey2099@kevd4wg@korraalone@thebuckaronatr@masma94@azronger@boc@emmafrostxmen@haikyuu444@mrblackdragon@evyhl@vinervvvvv@frijacks12345

Stage 4: Round 8.

Prince Zuko Vs. Princess Azula: Agni Kai for the Throne (Book 3: Sozin's Comet III & IV).

No Caption Provided

Vs.

Death of the Avatar: Azula and Zuko Vs. Aang and Katara (Book 2: The Crossroads of Destiny).

No Caption Provided

=======================================================

I'm sorry too. Vote now before we open Stage 5 tomorrow.

viking1205

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Alright, I'll give a detailed post now, itself even if this is one of the biggest mismatches.

Of the four parallel fights that happened during the Sozin's comet, this was the only fight that thematically represented Fire Nation vs Fire Nation. The last agni kai was the literal culmination of the two best character arcs in the show, Zuko and Azula.

No Caption Provided

The conversation at the start just showed how much the banished prince had come since his early days. A guy that is susceptible to manipulation and jumps into everything based on his instinctive emotions without thinking things out was able to see through Azula to know she was finally snapping into insanity and was authoritative to know this was the moment when he could win the battle, in extension, his part of the war without having casualties.

Coming to princess, her fall from grace was subtly shown right from her introduction, when the very first time she shot lightning, a strand of hair was out of place. I thought this was done really well in a thematic sense when the final battle had her hair all over the place, depicting how much she is obsessed on perfection and staying without weaknesses, due to all the lies fed to her from her father, the only person she feared. Coming to perfection, this battle did well to depict that she was not perfect, as Iroh mentioned, breath is the key for firebending and agni kais, Azula was visibly struggling to maintain it to perfection, while her brother wasn't having any problems. This was exactly the opposite scenario when they previously fought in Book-2 episode - 1.

Most important mention to Katara as well since she was equally important in winning the fight. Another character that had a brilliant arc in the series and was great to watch her heal Zuko after putting an end to the mad princess. Katara, has always been the only person in the show that Azula never managed to unnerve despite several fights. It was fitting she finally defeated Azula in the end and healed Zuko.

Coming objectively to the fight itself, the choreography and the bending quality is second only to Aang vs Ozai in my opinion. The colour combination and the background theme were simply breathtaking.

No Caption Provided

If I had to describe this sequence, I'd put it as a masterpiece.

I'd have this fight scene in the top 3 in the franchise, objectively.

BigDreamer48

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

NOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Final Agni Kai

viking1205

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Third best fight from TLA vs a top 3 from the whole franchise.

EmmaFrostXmen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@anthp2000: Is it the whole Zuko & Katara Vs Azula fight or just Zuko?

Even if it’s just Zuko my vote goes to the Agni Kai, I’m just wondering

anthp2000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3327 anthp2000  Moderator

It's the entire sequence. I've included Katara taking her down in the screenshots as well.

viking1205

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think it's the whole sequence, since we haven't had a separate inclusion for Katara vs Azula in the tournament, plus the pictures of Katara are added as well.

geekryan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Oh no...This is NOT FAIR!

Ugh.

As beautiful as the Agni Kai is, I have to go with Crossroads.

Avatar image for deactivated-60e9d095c91dd
deactivated-60e9d095c91dd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Zuko vs Azula

EmmaFrostXmen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@anthp2000: okay thanks!! :)

Then yea definitely the Agni Kai. With Zuko’s growth being shown in full as he fights to finally defeat Azula, the choreography was stunning, the colors were beautiful, and the emotional value is some of the highest it’s ever been in either show (ATLA or TLOK). Katara added on to this just solidified it as pretty clearly the best fight. It shows how much she has grown as well. She is forced to use her mind to take down the massively amped Azula, something that has always been her best asset since book 1 is her awareness and resourcefulness, and then she performs a move we as the audience didn’t even know was possible. Lastly, Azula’s decent into madness was another highlight not just for the episode, but for the series as a whole.

EmmaFrostXmen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

ElissaS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Aang's death but not exactly Aang's death

mantraxsp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Watching Zuko's growth in action > Aang dying. Voting Agni Kai.

KorraAlone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Although Azula attacking Aang during the power up will forever be iconic, I have to give it to the Final agni Kai, @Viking1205: speaks for me

Avatar image for indomitableregal
IndomitableRegal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm not sorry. Zuko vs. Azula. Agni Kai.

Avatar image for blackspidey2099
blackspidey2099

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Crossroads

mrmonster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Crossroads of Destiny

incursion2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ugh some of my favorite fights in the verse. The last Agni Kai.

cocacolaman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3341 cocacolaman  Moderator

Agni Kai, deserves to be runner up at least.

The fact people are actually voting the Crossroads.... Maybe I just hold it in far lower esteem than others, idk, but how people are voting for it is beyond me.

Avatar image for deactivated-63338e7709476
deactivated-63338e7709476

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Honestly surprised anyone is voting for the Crossroads. I love that fight, but it's just laughably out of its depth here.

Agni Kai.

anthp2000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3343 anthp2000  Moderator

I am also voting for the Agni Kai. The masterpiece of western animation.

The fact people are actually voting the Crossroads.... Maybe I just hold it in far lower esteem than others, idk, but how people are voting for it is beyond me.

Maybe it's just pity votes?

Azronger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The Last Agni Kai

EvyHL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wow hard choice !!

Crossroards I guess, it always bothered me that Zuko didn't defeat Azula and Katara did.

TheBooyZz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Agni Kai.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cocacolaman said:

cocacolaman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3348 cocacolaman  Moderator

@cocacolaman said:

Normally they specify that. But then again people were voting for Katara talking to some one-off character over the beard grab so I guess anything's possible.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@anthp2000 said:

@cocacolaman said:

Normally they specify that. But then again people were voting for Katara talking to some one-off character over the beard grab so I guess anything's possible.

lol!

chloros

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Voting for Prince Zuko vs Princess Azula: Agni Kai for the Throne. Viking made an excellent post on it.

Crossroads is excellent, but this scene is just even better. I am always in awe when Katara pulled up a flash freeze in a split second while Azula's fingers (probably about to shoot lighting) were an inch from her face. It was both horrifying and brilliant.

No Caption Provided