Avatar Respect Thread: Combustion Man

Avatar image for deactivated-597fe3e7af56f
#1 Edited by deactivated-597fe3e7af56f (2560 posts) - - Show Bio
So awesome, he doesn't even look at explosions.
So awesome, he doesn't even look at explosions.

In this thread I'll be showcasing the awesomely powerful RPG sniper that is Sparky Sparky Boom Man Combustion Man.

Raw Power

In terms of raw power, Combustion Man is easily top five in the verse (excluding AS, DAS, and bloodbenders). Some say he isn't versatile, but that hardly matters when your casual blasts are building-level explosions.

This is a pants-wettingly huge explosion, one of the largest bending attacks we've ever seen. Look at how tiny those pillars, which are significantly larger than Aang or CM, look in comparison to CM's power.
This is a pants-wettingly huge explosion, one of the largest bending attacks we've ever seen. Look at how tiny those pillars, which are significantly larger than Aang or CM, look in comparison to CM's power.

Here's a couple of stills from the same explosion showing more details than the gif does:

Let it never be said that CM is helpless at close range. As you can see, he fired his largest explosion with Aang only a few body lengths away from him.
Let it never be said that CM is helpless at close range. As you can see, he fired his largest explosion with Aang only a few body lengths away from him.
Shows how absolutely monumental that explosion was with greater clarity.
Shows how absolutely monumental that explosion was with greater clarity.
Shows him blowing through Toph's avalanche attack without the beam even going off. If that wasn't impressive enough, he then visibly strains Aang's airbending. Keep in mind that Aang's blocked attacks from Comet Ozai and cooled village size amounts of lava, making this feat incredibly impressive.
Shows him blowing through Toph's avalanche attack without the beam even going off. If that wasn't impressive enough, he then visibly strains Aang's airbending. Keep in mind that Aang's blocked attacks from Comet Ozai and cooled village size amounts of lava, making this feat incredibly impressive.
Shows him easily blocking Katara's massive wave, causing the whole entire lake to evaporate, even though most of the lake is quite far away from the blast.
Shows him easily blocking Katara's massive wave, causing the whole entire lake to evaporate, even though most of the lake is quite far away from the blast.
Another large explosion.
Another large explosion.
This explosion is covering the entire tower of the Western Air Temple.
This explosion is covering the entire tower of the Western Air Temple.
Another showing of his explosions covering entire towers at the air temple.
Another showing of his explosions covering entire towers at the air temple.
Sending the Gaang flying even though they are some distance away from the blast.
Sending the Gaang flying even though they are some distance away from the blast.
Another big explosion. That's it, really.
Another big explosion. That's it, really.

Other Bending Stuff

While CM's style is focused around his immense power, that's not all his bending can do.

No Caption Provided

Even his smallest explosion can send Zuko flying through his shield.
Even his smallest explosion can send Zuko flying through his shield.
Spamming combustion blasts powerful enough to completely disintegrate large rock pillars.
Spamming combustion blasts powerful enough to completely disintegrate large rock pillars.
Similar to the above feat. Shows him disintegrating another pillar at point blank range, then shooting another large blast immediately.
Similar to the above feat. Shows him disintegrating another pillar at point blank range, then shooting another large blast immediately.

Physicals, Hand to Hand, and Intelligence

While CM doesn't have a huge number of physical feats, the ones he does have paint him as a physically imposing, nigh-indestructible bruiser.

First of all, can we take a moment to appreciate how freaking huge CM is? He absolutely towers over Katara, and it's pure muscle too.
First of all, can we take a moment to appreciate how freaking huge CM is? He absolutely towers over Katara, and it's pure muscle too.
Tanks a massive icicle rain from Katara. Great durability feat.
Tanks a massive icicle rain from Katara. Great durability feat.
Shows him manhandling Zuko like a small child. What makes this extra impressive is that Zuko is superhumanly strong himself, capable of shattering chains with a kick and palming people across rooms with ease.
Shows him manhandling Zuko like a small child. What makes this extra impressive is that Zuko is superhumanly strong himself, capable of shattering chains with a kick and palming people across rooms with ease.
While CM isn't the most agile character in the verse, he's not as motionless as he appears, dodging Aang's tornado attack by jumping over it. Also shows that he can fire his blasts mid air.
While CM isn't the most agile character in the verse, he's not as motionless as he appears, dodging Aang's tornado attack by jumping over it. Also shows that he can fire his blasts mid air.

As far as intelligence goes, he was able to track down the Gaang multiple times with very little information, and set a trap for Katara and Toph that came within seconds of succeeding (he was about to blow up Aang when Katara intervened).

#3 Posted by MetalJimmor (6606 posts) - - Show Bio

Very nice. Combustion Man is one of my favorites, so it's always good to see a compilation of his best feats.

#4 Posted by Tektonic (1394 posts) - - Show Bio

I can tell you did a good job, except the images aren't working for me at least.

#5 Posted by deactivated-597fe3e7af56f (2560 posts) - - Show Bio

@tektonic: They aren't working for me either.

If any one else sees this, can they confirm that the images aren't loading?

#6 Posted by noobsnowman (3687 posts) - - Show Bio

I can agree with the Combustion Man being Top 5 just for raw power. Good thread, though.

#7 Posted by MetalJimmor (6606 posts) - - Show Bio

@mial42:

Weird, they loaded when I first came to this thread and left my post. Now none of them are loading for me.

#8 Posted by ANTHP2000 (29643 posts) - - Show Bio

@mial42 said:

@tektonic: They aren't working for me either.

If any one else sees this, can they confirm that the images aren't loading?

They aren't loading but we can just open them in a new tag and it works fine.

Good thread.