At what strength level should bullet immunity come in?

Avatar image for tethadam
Posted by tethadam (1418 posts) 3 months, 5 days ago

Poll: At what strength level should bullet immunity come in? (12 votes)

10 tons 33%
20 tons 8%
30 tons 8%
40 tons 17%
50 tons 8%
60 tons 17%
70 tons 0%
80 tons 0%
90 tons 0%
100 tons 8%

My guess is above normal spiderman levels so maybe 40 tons

Avatar image for emanresu_20
#1 Posted by Emanresu_20 (3113 posts) - - Show Bio

Trying to understand what you mean buy immunity.

Do you mean the bullets can still get lodged in someone’s skin but come up short.

Leave bruises and scratches and breaks skin but only slightly

Or just bounce off someone altogether with little to no damage?

Avatar image for king-ragnar
#2 Posted by King-Ragnar (4901 posts) - - Show Bio

Not that much.

Avatar image for wrathofthebrad
#3 Posted by Wrathofthebrad (1287 posts) - - Show Bio

Bullet immunity has nothing to do with strength.

Avatar image for tethadam
#4 Posted by tethadam (1418 posts) - - Show Bio

Trying to understand what you mean buy immunity.

Do you mean the bullets can still get lodged in someone’s skin but come up short.

Leave bruises and scratches and breaks skin but only slightly

Or just bounce off someone altogether with little to no damage?

Good question. Im going to go with the first one.

Avatar image for tethadam
#5 Edited by tethadam (1418 posts) - - Show Bio

@wrathofthebrad said:

Bullet immunity has nothing to do with strength.

If you can lift heavy amounts of weight your body should be strong enough not to get crushed by that weight. So at what point would you be so tough that your bullet proof?

Avatar image for achievedhero
#6 Edited by AchievedHero (344 posts) - - Show Bio

Bullet immunity has nothing to do with strength. If you have super strength it doesn't mean you are bulletproof. Jessica Jones has super strength but she is not bulletproof. Just like Captain America and Spiderman have super strength and are durable but bullets can pierce them.

Avatar image for AssertingValor
#7 Posted by AssertingValor (8189 posts) - - Show Bio

Thing is “bulletish” proof, but more due to his rock hide than his strength level

Avatar image for killbilly
#8 Edited by KillBilly (3050 posts) - - Show Bio

Bullet immunity DOES have to do with strength insofar that if you can lift enormous amounts of weight with no repercussions it means your skin can withstand higher pressures then a normal body meaning you'd be more durable to force being applied to your body in general.

Avatar image for wrathofthebrad
#9 Edited by Wrathofthebrad (1287 posts) - - Show Bio
@tethadam said:
@wrathofthebrad said:

Bullet immunity has nothing to do with strength.

If you can lift heavy amounts of weight your body should be strong enough not to get crushed by that weight. So at what point would you be so tough that your bullet proof?

That has still nothing to do with bullet proof skin, many fictional characters at a certain strength level have just also fitting durability and usually no special weakness like Wonder Woman.

Avatar image for killbilly
#10 Edited by KillBilly (3050 posts) - - Show Bio
@wrathofthebrad said:
@tethadam said:
@wrathofthebrad said:

Bullet immunity has nothing to do with strength.

If you can lift heavy amounts of weight your body should be strong enough not to get crushed by that weight. So at what point would you be so tough that your bullet proof?

That has still nothing to do with bullet proof skin

Yes it does... For exactly the reasons they said. All a bullet is is a piece of metal being propelled by a great amount of force. Lifting an object is essentially:

1. The strength needed to lift the weight of the object against the force of gravity.

2. The durability for your body not to be damaged by the pressure of the object being propelled downwards by gravity into whatever part of your body's holding it up.

It's going to be a lot less then the force propelling a bullet ( especially because the bullet is so small meaning the energy is far more concentrated ) but the basic concept is the same.

Avatar image for vertigo-
#11 Posted by Vertigo- (17905 posts) - - Show Bio

Realistically, it should matter. However, in the comic book/ manga world, the rules don't work like that. A prime example of this is Wonder Woman.

Avatar image for green_tea
#12 Posted by Green_Tea (10682 posts) - - Show Bio
Online
Avatar image for killbilly
#13 Edited by KillBilly (3050 posts) - - Show Bio

@green_tea: Don't think the OP asked about a specific comic or franchise. Only at what strength level they SHOULD be bullet proof.

Avatar image for tethadam
#14 Posted by tethadam (1418 posts) - - Show Bio
Avatar image for angryhulks
#15 Edited by AngryHulks (3803 posts) - - Show Bio

@killbilly said:

Bullet immunity DOES have to do with strength insofar that if you can lift enormous amounts of weight with no repercussions it means your skin can withstand higher pressures then a normal body meaning you'd be more durable to force being applied to your body in general.

A lot of super strength came from what we would call "tactile telekinesis," it's often used to hand-wave how can a character lift a pyramid without it crumbling. Basically it's not physiology-based strength.

Avatar image for newecho
#16 Posted by newecho (7282 posts) - - Show Bio

Strength shouldn't matter. Its about skin density and other powers such as healing factor or telepathy or telekenisis. So many other attributes should matter more that strength levels to be bullet immune.