Arthur Morgan or John Marston? (RDR2 SPOILERS)

jay_z94

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Poll Arthur Morgan or John Marston? (RDR2 SPOILERS) (16 votes)

Arthur Morgan 81%
John Marston 19%

Who is your favourite character and why?

• 
Emanresu_20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Author had so much more swagger and character development.

jay_z94

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Author had so much more swagger and character development.

I don't know why, but during the epilogue I felt more sorry for John than I did for Arthur...

King-Ragnar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Arthur by a decent margin, especially if you're an honourable outlaw.

jay_z94

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I was in shock when Micah shot me in the face, I just stared at the screen

Emanresu_20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jay_z94 said:
@king-ragnar said:

I wasn't... I was by every definition a serial killer in the game lol

Michaelbn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

John, he's the reason Arthur became that man during the end.

rogueshadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 rogueshadow  Moderator

Arthur is probably the most complex and well-written protagonist in gaming.

jay_z94

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By jay_z94

@emanresu_20 said:
@jay_z94 said:
@king-ragnar said:

Yeah, but I was so invested in Arthur, like how his character developed into someone who wanted to do the right thing and redeem himself before his inevitable death.

I know he's a killer, but I still felt for him. Dutch raised and manipulated him, "I gave you all I had".

phillip33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Arthur

Supermanthor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 20

Emperorb777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@michaelbn: John isn't the reason why Arthur became a better man. Looking back at his own mistakes is what changed Arthur.

KanyeCosby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jay_z94 said:
@emanresu_20 said:
@jay_z94 said:
@king-ragnar said:

Yeah, but I was so invested in Arthur, like how his character developed into someone who wanted to do the right thing and redeem himself before his inevitable death.

I know he's a killer, but I still felt for him. Dutch raised and manipulated him, "I gave you all I had".

I got the same ending, and although it was pretty shocking, I think it was kind of badass in its own way. Arthur got the final word on Micah, “Damn us both!” He got Micah to realize that he was better than him. Plus it sort of fits in with the live by the gun, die by the gun attitude that Arthur has.

BatmanPlusJay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By BatmanPlusJay

As a character? John. While Arthur's game was better than John's game and he had a better story, as a character, John had a lot more character development. I like them both equally though. There's no one above the other.

BatmanPlusJay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@emperorb777: No, that sickness just helped him see more clearly. He said that several times. Knowing his death would happen soon really made him reflect and decide he didn't wanna die the terrible man he once was.

BatmanPlusJay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rogueshadow: I don't see what's so complex about him. He's well written for sure but nothing about him is complex.

King-Ragnar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@kanyecosby: I just found it too annoying to play as a full on outlaw. You get high bounties (or wanted dead or alive) that make it impossible to roam without being attacked.

Emperorb777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@batmanplusjay: Prior to Arthur getting sick he had already started to reflect on his life and decisions. It's why he started to question Dutch more and more. If you talk to one of the girls before leaving Valentine camp, he actually talks about choices he's made.

KanyeCosby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@king-ragnar: It’s really annoying, but it’s so hard to resist being a criminal in the game. I was pretty much a psychopath in that game lol.

Grinningf0x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Arthur by a landslide

I was also honorable as hell

BatmanPlusJay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@emperorb777: He questioned Dutch because Dutch kept f**kin up. None of his plans worked. Everyone questioned Dutch. He really started to question himself after he realized he was sick. Arthur always knew he was crazy, but it wasn't until then he tried to change that.

rogueshadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 rogueshadow  Moderator

@rogueshadow: I don't see what's so complex about him. He's well written for sure but nothing about him is complex.

His disillusionment with Dutch after having essentially been indoctrinated by a snake-oil salesman, strong implications that he has always known the proper moral path but let his loyalty to Dutch clouded it. Subsequent clarity afforded by his illness and circumstance that finally let him see through it and reawakened his moral sensibilities that likely died along with his child years before, along with events that transpired resulting in him seeking redemption through the happiness of the Marston family. It's all compelling, character-driven stuff, the choices he makes say a lot about him. What we see as the game goes on is several characters with their backs against the walls and it shines a light on what really matters to them, and who they really are when left with nowhere to turn. This was revealed for John, Arthur and Dutch alike. All three are extremely compelling. Dutch is the most complex of the three.

BatmanPlusJay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By BatmanPlusJay

@rogueshadow: But that's not complicated. It's just that Arthur lived life the way he was raised to live it, as an outlaw. And later in life, after becoming sick he realizes there's more to life than he initially thought. It wasn't all bad, there's some beauty in it. And he and John both regret their blind loyalty to Dutch they had for so long. So he decided to change his ways and at least try to change for the better, try to grow as a person and redeem himself. Or at least try to. And his biggest step in redemption, like you said, was seeing to it that John and his family escaped.

Which honestly is a GREAT character design. But it's not "complex". Someone who's complex, at least to me, is someone who is hard to understand(their character takes a lot of thought to piece together). But maybe my definition of a complex character is wrong.

rogueshadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 rogueshadow  Moderator

@rogueshadow: But that's not complicated. It's just that Arthur lived life the way he was raised to live it, as an outlaw. And later in life, after becoming sick he realizes there's more to life than he initially thought. It wasn't all bad, there's some beauty in it. And he and John both regret their blind loyalty to Dutch they had for so long. So he decided to change his ways and at least try to change for the better, try to grow as a person and redeem himself. Or at least try to. And his biggest step in redemption, like you said, was seeing to it that John and his family escaped.

Which honestly is a GREAT character design. But it's not "complex". Someone who's complex, at least to me, is someone who is hard to understand(their character takes a lot of thought to piece together). But maybe my definition of a complex character is wrong.

When I use the term complex I mean layered and well constructed, but I might have been misusing the term in hindsight.

jay_z94

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Loving this discussion!

Seriously though, I don't think I've ever been this emotionally affected from a video game before.

jay_z94

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By jay_z94

@kanyecosby: Yeah, looking back those are some badass last words

Mike_Fowler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Mike_Fowler

@batmanplusjay: a complex character isn’t someone hard to understand, they’re essentially a dynamic/round individual

They react believably to events around them, undergo a change in personality (either good or bad) from beginning to the end of their story. And, above all things, they tend to show a wide range of emotions. They don’t react the same way depending on the situation that they’re put in.

Essentially, you can’t take Arthur at face value of being just the dumb muscle of a gang of outlaws (I.e. a simple character), he’s much more than that

BatmanPlusJay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@batmanplusjay: a complex character isn’t someone hard to understand, they’re essentially a dynamic/round individual

They react believably to events around them, undergo a change in personality (either good or bad) from beginning to the end of their story. And, above all things, they tend to show a wide range of emotions. They don’t react the same way depending on the situation that they’re put in.

Essentially, you can’t take Arthur at face value of being just the dumb muscle of a gang of outlaws (I.e. a simple character), he’s much more than that

I got you.