Are There Any Asexual/Aromantic Comic Book Characters?

• 88 results
Avatar image for v_scarlotte_rose
V_Scarlotte_Rose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 2

#51  Edited By V_Scarlotte_Rose

@judasnixon: I don't think I'd call her famous either. I've only heard of her because I've googled 'famous asexuals' before. :P

Apparently Janeane Garofalo is asexual. I think she's a little more famous.

judasnixon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#52  Edited By judasnixon
@V_Scarlotte_Rose: I'm pretty sure Janeane Garofalo is straight. I remember her talking about her sex life in one of her stand up acts. Then again it's a comedy act so who knows........
V_Scarlotte_Rose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#53  Edited By V_Scarlotte_Rose

@judasnixon:Oh. I'll maybe look into that. I don't really follow her work so I'm just going by what I've read online.

V_Scarlotte_Rose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54  Edited By V_Scarlotte_Rose

@judasnixon: From what I can see, it seems that she might have just been having sex with her husband to support their romantic relationship. Some asexual people whilst not feeling sexually attracted to a partner, will sometimes agree to sex in order to keep them happy.

I can't actually find the clip anywhere though. I'm just going by what I'm reading in reviews of it.

Avatar image for avenging_x_bolt
Avenging-X-Bolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 140

#55  Edited By Avenging-X-Bolt

The Creeper came off as such during the Len Kaminski series

Avatar image for avenging_x_bolt
Avenging-X-Bolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 140

#56  Edited By Avenging-X-Bolt

@JonSmith said:

@V_Scarlotte_Rose said:

Alfred.

How so?

His interest is in his work. Nothing more.

Alfred has been in love before

SC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 0

#57  Edited By SC  Moderator

I can only think of famous asexual people too, Emilie Autumn, because she identified as such, but only for a period of time, then she reported that she had never enjoyed sex before, so whether she actually still had sexual attraction to others, or didn't and identified as asexual because of that... but thats sort of the thing about asexuality, and bisexuality and homosexuality and heterosexuality and so on, you can assume certain orientations based on actions and behavior but they might not actually be accurate. Gay people will have sex with the opposite gender all the time, and people can sleep with people they aren't sexually attracted to. Then being sexually attracted to one person isn't necessarily being attracted to their entire gender. It can get complicated.

Hence how a person identifies themselves and how honest and candid they are about talking about their attraction, and desires (or as per this thread lack of) hence the importance of a character (or their creator) actually identifying a lack of sexual attraction or interest outright rather than their behavior or actions hinting at what they are. This is where Daken is a bit fuzzy because his creator as both referred to him as being bisexual but also being beyond identification because he will do anything and anyone to accomplish his goals, and that he only uses sex as a tool of manipulation, and just other comments along those lines, which aren't mutually exclusive, but just a bit fuzzy really. Many websites have taken creators comments to mean he is asexual.

Devi is suppose to be asexual but there are supposedly inconsistencies with how character treats this. Now I am back to square one with a young Shatterstar before he grew to appreciate sexuality.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a162dd41dd64
deactivated-5a162dd41dd64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 100

User Lists: 6

@blackwolf0925: Orochimaru isn't a comic character.

darklord_apoc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59  Edited By darklord_apoc

@Guardiandevil83 said:

Carnage

Joker

Daken

Overtkill

Maybe more.

Joker was sexually romantic with Harly and Carnage was involved with Shriek

Avatar image for guardiandevil83
Guardiandevil83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60  Edited By Guardiandevil83

@darklord_apoc said:

@Guardiandevil83 said:

Carnage

Joker

Daken

Overtkill

Maybe more.

Joker was sexually romantic with Harly and Carnage was involved with Shriek

But Joker only slept with Harley out of attraction. It was more like something to do and to control her. Since intimacy makes feelings for someone even stronger, and thats what he wanted. He has also flirted with Bruce in a romantic way. Carnage and Shriek were never together. She was simply the first criminal he released and the most competent member of the gang. So he would call her the ''mother" But Maxium Carnage was a war..they did nothing but kill and fight heros the entire arc.

satyrgod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61  Edited By satyrgod

I can't help but think that, if Joker had either been asexual or sexually obsessed with Batman, he would have acted out by now.  He'd had Batman, and several Robins (Bat-juniors), restrained at various points.  And had he been to an extreme in a sexual way, it wouldn't have been his face...

No Caption Provided
SavageDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#62  Edited By SavageDragon

I will say Rorsach from Watchmen, and ultron, possibly Mephistopheles or surter.

Loki9876

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#63  Edited By Loki9876

isn't ozymandias asexual, he expressed having trouble connecting to people

Jorgevy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#64  Edited By Jorgevy

I'd say all the sociopathic characters are aromantic by definition

asexual that has nothing to do with their species biology is tricky though...

V_Scarlotte_Rose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65  Edited By V_Scarlotte_Rose

@Jorgevy said:

I'm afraid I couldn't count that. I get what you mean, but it's a lack of romantic attraction, that isn't caused by a disorder that I'm looking for.

It is proving to be quite tricky.

V_Scarlotte_Rose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66  Edited By V_Scarlotte_Rose

@Loki9876 said:

From what I know, I wouldn't count him as that seems to just be not having sex due to being uncomfortable around people, rather than specifically not experiencing sexual attraction.

His name seems to come up quite often. I'm planning on buying Watchmen soon, so I can look into it properly at some point.

Jorgevy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67  Edited By Jorgevy

@V_Scarlotte_Rose said:

@Jorgevy said:

I'm afraid I couldn't count that. I get what you mean, but it's a lack of romantic attraction, that isn't caused by a disorder that I'm looking for.

well, most cases of human asexuality/aromantism are caused by some form of disorder or defect... so that makes it even harder to find what you are looking for

TrueMoonchilde

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68  Edited By TrueMoonchilde

Would Rogue count? She's basically forced to be asexual due to her powerset, but it's not really because she doesn't experience attraction to others.

Jorgevy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69  Edited By Jorgevy

@Moonchilde said:

Would Rogue count? She's basically forced to be asexual due to her powerset, but it's not really because she doesn't experience attraction to others.

celibatary =/= asexual

people can abstain from sex and not be asexual, still experience sexual attraction

people can be asexual and practice sex yet feel no sexual attraction

V_Scarlotte_Rose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70  Edited By V_Scarlotte_Rose

@Jorgevy said:

@V_Scarlotte_Rose said:

@Jorgevy said:

well, most cases of human asexuality/aromantism are caused by some form of disorder or defect... so that makes it even harder to find what you are looking for

Could you elaborate on that?

I can understand that a person may avoid sexual or romantic relationships because of a disorder, but I don't know if that can be called asexual or aromantic. Asexuality is just a sexuality like any other.

Decoy Elite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71  Edited By Decoy Elite

@V_Scarlotte_Rose said:

@Loki9876 said:

From what I know, I wouldn't count him as that seems to just be not having sex due to being uncomfortable around people, rather than specifically not experiencing sexual attraction.

His name seems to come up quite often. I'm planning on buying Watchmen soon, so I can look into it properly at some point.

Can't speak for the prequel comics but the original story didn't really hint at him being asexual in any way. The only mention of his possible sexuality is when Rorschach makes a note about him possibly being gay.

That said he is the character shown off the least and he did not show any sexual attractions in that short time IIRC so it is a possibility.

mk111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#72  Edited By mk111

I guess robot characters would be aromantic.

Then again, Vision got married, and Ultron has had two wives, so...

V_Scarlotte_Rose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73  Edited By V_Scarlotte_Rose

@Decoy Elite said:

@V_Scarlotte_Rose said:

@Loki9876 said:

Can't speak for the prequel comics but the original story didn't really hint at him being asexual in any way. The only mention of his possible sexuality is when Rorschach makes a note about him possibly being gay.

That said he is the character shown off the least and he did not show any sexual attractions in that short time IIRC so it is a possibility.

I suppose it's possible then, but it'd just be speculation. Though if it's only a small number of appearances, maybe it wouldn't be enough to even speculate on.

Decoy Elite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74  Edited By Decoy Elite

@V_Scarlotte_Rose: Well that's the point of the prequel comics I guess, to expand upon characters from the original story.

V_Scarlotte_Rose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75  Edited By V_Scarlotte_Rose

@Decoy Elite said:

@V_Scarlotte_Rose: Well that's the point of the prequel comics I guess, to expand upon characters from the original story.

That makes sense. I'll probably get some of the prequels if I particularly like any of the characters in the main story.

Decoy Elite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76  Edited By Decoy Elite

@V_Scarlotte_Rose said:

@Decoy Elite said:

That makes sense. I'll probably get some of the prequels if I particularly like any of the characters in the main story.

Yeah I think the Ozy one is the best idea of the bunch even though I didn't end up getting it. He's the least expanded upon of the main cast and he does have some interesting ideas behind him.

V_Scarlotte_Rose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77  Edited By V_Scarlotte_Rose

@Decoy Elite said:

@V_Scarlotte_Rose said:

@Decoy Elite said:

Yeah I think the Ozy one is the best idea of the bunch even though I didn't end up getting it. He's the least expanded upon of the main cast and he does have some interesting ideas behind him.

Thanks. I'll keep that in mind. :)

Jorgevy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78  Edited By Jorgevy

@V_Scarlotte_Rose said:

@Jorgevy said:

@V_Scarlotte_Rose said:

@Jorgevy said:

I can understand that a person may avoid sexual or romantic relationships because of a disorder, but I don't know if that can be called asexual or aromantic. Asexuality is just a sexuality like any other.

that's it. asexuality is a sexual orientation but most cases are usually due to a disorder or other medical/psychological problem, same with aromantism (which is not a sexuality, at least not per se, since it involves romance and not sexual attraction but it can be guidelined by the same denominations we use for sexualities, like straight, bi, pan, etc...)

like a lot of asexuals are such but after discovering some other type of symptom, under medical examination find out it was actually cause by disease X. although usually those people can't be seen as true asexuals, since they were "forced" into it by a disorder and thus can be reverted back to their original sexuality

V_Scarlotte_Rose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79  Edited By V_Scarlotte_Rose

@Jorgevy said:

@V_Scarlotte_Rose said:

@Jorgevy said:

@V_Scarlotte_Rose said:

@Jorgevy said:

that's it. asexuality is a sexual orientation but most cases are usually due to a disorder or other medical/psychological problem, same with aromantism (which is not a sexuality, at least not per se, since it involves romance and not sexual attraction but it can be guidelined by the same denominations we use for sexualities, like straight, bi, pan, etc...)

like a lot of asexuals are such but after discovering some other type of symptom, under medical examination find out it was actually cause by disease X. although usually those people can't be seen as true asexuals, since they were "forced" into it by a disorder and thus can be reverted back to their original sexuality

Aromanticism is a romantic orientation though.

From what you're saying, its true asexuals I'm looking for, not people who are consider asexual because of a disorder.

Jorgevy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80  Edited By Jorgevy

@V_Scarlotte_Rose said:

From what you're saying, its true asexuals I'm looking for, not people who are consider asexual because of a disorder.

I know it's a romantic/affective orientation, that's what i said, although it follows similar patterns, since a person can be romantically interested to males, females, both, none, etc....

and that's kinda the problem: some people may live their whole lives being asexual without knowing it's due to a disorder because the disorder lacks other visible or damaging symptoms. though i think if it's a comic/fictional character if that was the case the writers would pick up that issue sooner or later, so I think any asexuals shown in comics, unless stated otherwise, are true asexuals. still, it's damn hard to find them. If I ever become a creator i'll make one or two

V_Scarlotte_Rose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81  Edited By V_Scarlotte_Rose

@V_Scarlotte_Rose said:

I know it's a romantic/affective orientation, that's what i said, although it follows similar patterns, since a person can be romantically interested to males, females, both, none, etc....

and that's kinda the problem: some people may live their whole lives being asexual without knowing it's due to a disorder because the disorder lacks other visible or damaging symptoms. though i think if it's a comic/fictional character if that was the case the writers would pick up that issue sooner or later, so I think any asexuals shown in comics, unless stated otherwise, are true asexuals. still, it's damn hard to find them. If I ever become a creator i'll make one or two

Oh. I thought you meant it just went along with your sexual orientation.

It would be nice to see some representation.

Can I ask where you're getting your information on this? I haven't heard of most asexuals being because of disorders.

Jorgevy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82  Edited By Jorgevy

@V_Scarlotte_Rose: some friends who study biology and medicine. the most thing might be their generalization though, i find it weird that most people would be so and not question it or check it to make sure it isnt just some disorder.

not an expert so I cant refer you to any research or investigative books, which would be interesting

V_Scarlotte_Rose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83  Edited By V_Scarlotte_Rose

Maybe people just don't see any reason to question why they're like that.

I'll have to look into the scientific side of it. I haven't seen any mention of the most thing, so maybe it is just a generalization.

Jorgevy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84  Edited By Jorgevy

@V_Scarlotte_Rose said:

@Jorgevy:Maybe people just don't see any reason to question why they're like that. I don't.

I'll have to look into the scientific side of it. I haven't seen any mention of the most thing, so maybe it is just a generalization.

yeah, as long as it is not harmful, it really makes no difference, since that's what a person as known for his her whole life

V_Scarlotte_Rose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85  Edited By V_Scarlotte_Rose

@Jorgevy: Exactly. Just like any other sexuality really.:)

satyrgod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86  Edited By satyrgod
@V_Scarlotte_Rose
My initial concern would lead to ruling out genetic disorders; XXY or XO chromasomal disorders as examples.
Epicbeast3000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87  Edited By Epicbeast3000

One above all.

V_Scarlotte_Rose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88  Edited By V_Scarlotte_Rose

@satyrgod: From googling xxy and xo the only medical problems I've found are Klinefelter syndrome and Turner syndrome. Are these what you meant? It's just I can't see the connection.

I'm not particularly knowledgeable on this sort of thing, so maybe you know more about it than I do.