#1 Edited by DarknessClad (108 posts) - - Show Bio

In the anime/manga series Bleach, Vasto Lorde is said to be the strongest form a Hollow can take, and are stronger than even a captain of the Gotei 13 (I'd assume they're comparing your average captain to your average Vasto Lorde, but we can never be sure). Now, we know when Hollows become Arrancar they get stronger, so it's no surprise that when fighting the three strongest Arrancar in the series (all of whom are implied or outright stated to have been Vasto Lorde before their assent to Arrancar), that multiple captains, Lieutenants and similarly powered Vizards have to fight them in order to win.

However, that being said. All of these Hollows were Arrancar when they fought in the battle of Karakura and had been for quite some time. If this is the case, then that would suggest if they were merely Vasto Lorde, the Soul Society wouldn't have had nearly as much trouble. I have no doubt the Vasto Lorde would have been able to go toe to toe with a captain, but there is a big difference between going toe to toe and winning.

So with all this in mind, do you think the stories of how powerful the Vasto Lorde are were exaggerated? Or could it be possible that as far as Vasto Lorde go, the three (possibly four) under Aizen's command weren't as strong as Vasto Lorde of the past?

#2 Posted by Goku9000 (92 posts) - - Show Bio

Going toe to toe would be over statement here. They are better suited to go against a seated shinigami. Anyone with a proper shikai mastery should overwhelm them. At the very best,a third seat should be best match for them. Zaraki's squad should be ignored because ranking is not proper there.

Avatar image for indomitableregal
#3 Edited by IndomitableRegal (14066 posts) - - Show Bio

Well the top 4 Espada (or rather 1-4 since Yammy is 0) were all Vasto Lorde, and with the exception of Halibel, I don't think the average Captain could beat any of them one-on-one (average captain, not the top tiers). Actually, the lower tier captains would likely struggle with Halibel as well. I just think Toshiro was the perfect opponent.

#4 Posted by DarknessClad (108 posts) - - Show Bio

@indomitableregal: True, but my point is that Vasto Lorde was made out to be this big threat that even a captain couldn't tackle. If this is the case then they should of all of gotten beaten pretty handly by three Vasto Lorde that had ascended to Arrancar. This is why I believe either the top four Espada were on the weaker end of the Vasto Lorde power scale, or their stories have been hyped up over time due to how much trouble they might have given Shinigami in their early days. No doubt the Gotei 13 have only gotten stronger since their early encounters with Vasto Lorde.

Avatar image for indomitableregal
#5 Posted by IndomitableRegal (14066 posts) - - Show Bio

@indomitableregal: True, but my point is that Vasto Lorde was made out to be this big threat that even a captain couldn't tackle. If this is the case then they should of all of gotten beaten pretty handly by three Vasto Lorde that had ascended to Arrancar. This is why I believe either the top four Espada were on the weaker end of the Vasto Lorde power scale, or their stories have been hyped up over time due to how much trouble they might have given Shinigami in their early days. No doubt the Gotei 13 have only gotten stronger since their early encounters with Vasto Lorde.

Well for one, Vasto Lorde are so incredibly rare that any information on them would have to be taken with a grain of salt. Two, Vasto Lorde are supposed to be stronger than captains, but I don't recall them saying by how much, and being an Arrancar provides a boost, but again, never really specified by how much (and keep in mind that Arrancars are basically imperfect hybrids and a disappointment by Aizen's own admission). The Gotei 13 probably did get stronger though. At least none of them were taken out by a single captain, though a strong enough Captain likely could.