Are the Battle Forums becoming a place of hate?

Avatar image for deactivated-6137545428734
deactivated-6137545428734

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 10

The main purpose of the battle forums is meant to be for discussing the outcome of fictional fights but every time I take a peek, I'm seeing more cases of poorly made threads designed to spite, belittle and hate on certain characters and people. Some characters get pitted against those far above them but done in a manner such that the majority agree to hate on them and believe in faulty popularity opinions of preferences. Many of these threads are deliberately done with such intended purpose.

So are the battle forums no longer a place to appreciate but to hate on characters these days?

maxxcveiler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Yes

CitizenSentry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

They have been for a very long time.

Joewell911

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No, silly. You just have to look at the threads that don't suck.

ZeroSuitUser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nah. Just ignore threads that feature Dragon Ball, The Flash, and Sentry.

micah007123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

They have been for a very long time.

Avatar image for wolverineistoaa
WolverineIsTOAA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This has been happening since 2009?

Avatar image for deactivated-6137545428734
deactivated-6137545428734

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

@joewell: @zerosuituser It's more than just threads though. It's between users too which has divided the Comic Vine community into either Marvel or DC. Any user with a different opinion gets singled out and attacked by the rest of the group. It's becoming more and more about who you prefer rather than actual debating without resorting to "fanboy" comments.

Spidey_Jackson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Eh.

I like it.

Beata

Battle123axe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's good but horrible at the same time.

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

#12  Edited By k4tzm4n  Moderator

Too many people view debates here as a "win or lose" situation, and that leads to stubborn nonsense and hostile arguments. The goal shouldn't be "WIN THE DISCUSSION!" It should be "share my knowledge, listen to others since we all don't think the same way or express every little thought in each post, and maybe - just maybe - learn something new along the way, even if I don't expect to." Basically, put the guard down and treat people like you're talking to them in person, not like you see some text you disagree with and decide to throw your knee-jerk reactions out on the internet for everyone to see. If you wouldn't say it in person, don't say it in a debate online.

Oh, and pet peeve: just because someone thinks X may beat Y, it doesn't necessarily mean they like X more - it should mean they've hopefully weighed all of the factors and then reached that decision. Don't assume, because you know what they say about assuming, right? It's often wrong. Or at least I think that's the saying...

never give up

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for deactivated-57af58bda2d61
deactivated-57af58bda2d61

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Becoming ?

comicace3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

I literally cannot go there for more than five minutes. I enjoy watching few people debate, but that is pretty much it. I always end up debating the wrong people for some reason, which in turn has led me to just quit trying. No HOF in my future lol.

Joewell911

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@the_invincible_one: I have never personally encountered this, besides the MK hate, but that was usually well deserved.

Just stick to tournaments, CaVs, and threads with non-popular characters and you usually won't find those kinds of people.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@golden_robodude: Because of people like him.

Or people like you. "Durrrr featless Justice League War Superman beats EMH Hulk and Thor cause he Sooperman......"

Straight-Fire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The forums is a mess in general - always was, always will be.

Spambot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The forums internet is a mess in general - always was, always will be.

fixed

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#21 k4tzm4n  Moderator

Petty arguments after less than 20 posts? It's no wonder so many people have a negative opinion of the battle forums. Stop. Just... stop. Next time you see someone say something you disagree with, take some time to think about how you'd talk this individual face to face. There's no need to immediately type your honest thoughts and click "post." If you met and discussed this, odds are you'd stick to facts and not rude comments, right? Please, for the love of all that's holy, just try to do that. I've failed at that in the past, but it's always about growing and being a better person, isn't it? Just... please try it. Talking about comics - a hobby we all share - should be fun. Why would you want it to be a miserable experience that's full of frustration/anger/hate? Enjoy talking to your fellow fans, even if they don't agree with you, because that's, you know, the civil thing to do. I've spent so much time in the battles forum, but the way people approach debates has pushed me away from it. It should be an outlet where people have fun, so strive to have fun and learn, okay? Thanks!

I feel like this will accomplish nothing, so please, prove me wrong and make the battle forums a fun, informative, and welcoming place.

Seriously, do it.

Pretty please? I'll like, give you a gif with a thumbs up. I don't debate anymore, but it was a great time for me while I did it. Others should get to experience that, too.

never give up

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

GraniteSoldier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

It has always been a place where emotions can get heated, but it has certainly gotten worse.

First, people take an immediate 'I know better' stance. They speak like answers should be obvious and anyone who disagrees is either ignorant, stupid, or a blind fanboy...or they play the martyr card and pretend like the whole forum is against them and they have discovered one singular truth that no one else has read/watched/etc.

Another problem that has grown from that is the I need to be right mentality. Now it's no longer about exchanging ideas and debates, but being the perceived winner. It's gotten so bad that people actually think k that getting the last word in means they've won. There's been many debates in the past few months I've walked away from after a few exchanges because I'm repeating myself and there's no fun in a debate like that.

Which leads me to another point: debates have become half simply attacking the other poster instead of focusing on the debate, showings, statements, and writer's intents...you see my point.

Like @k4tzm4n said, a little civility goes a long way. I've seen war, the battle boards ain't war. Stop treating it like it is.

Avatar image for deranged_midget
Deranged Midget

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 4

@k4tzm4n said:

Too many people view debates here as a "win or lose" situation, and that leads to stubborn nonsense and hostile arguments. The goal shouldn't be "WIN THE DISCUSSION!" It should be "share my knowledge, listen to others since we all don't think the same way or express every little thought in each post, and maybe - just maybe - learn something new along the way, even if I don't expect to." Basically, put the guard down and treat people like you're talking to them in person, not like you see some text you disagree with and decide to throw your knee-jerk reactions out on the internet for everyone to see. If you wouldn't say it in person, don't say it in a debate online.

Oh, and pet peeve: just because someone thinks X may beat Y, it doesn't necessarily mean they like X more - it should mean they've hopefully weighed all of the factors and then reached that decision. Don't assume, because you know what they say about assuming, right? It's often wrong. Or at least I think that's the saying...

Avatar image for majinblackheart
MajinBlackheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 58

User Lists: 7

#26 MajinBlackheart  Moderator

@golden_robodude:Not everything is Goku vs Superman. Stop inciting it.

@007619 If you created this alt to insult others and agree with yourself in other threads, I can ban them both.

Avatar image for golden_robodude
Golden_Robodude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jloneblackheart:Can't blame me people actually think Goku has nothing on supes look at screwattacks comment section they might be trolling but they might not be :\

Noone301994

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@joewell said:

No, silly. You just have to look at the threads that don't suck.

Avatar image for majinblackheart
MajinBlackheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 58

User Lists: 7

#29 MajinBlackheart  Moderator

@golden_robodude: You misunderstand. It's against the rules here and that was a warning. I don't really care who you think wins and I certainly don't care about screw attack.

the creator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

My main focus on Comicvine was the battle forum. I spent hours debating, explaining and then explaining some more what I believed to be correct. Used to be fun, was certainly entertaining. Now I don't recognize the forum anymore.

No one person has read every comic. No one person knows every outcome.

The battle forum should be a place were ideas should be shared and discussed.

Give it a shot. It might be fun once again.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

RetconCrisis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nope, it's a wonderful place...
Nope, it's a wonderful place...

never give up

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@007619 said:

@jloneblackheart: So because I don't go around following people I'm an alt now?

He can check IP addresses...

Tradog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@007619 said:

@jloneblackheart: So because I don't go around following people I'm an alt now?

He can check IP addresses...

I have no idea how people still forget that detail.

Anyways yes, battle threads all over the place have gotten worse. The main reason is attachment/bias, people are so attached to their characters that they act like the character is actual participating in the battle or being voted to lose. Another issue is that everyone who debates for a character is a fanboy or biased despite giving actual arguments. You are a fanboy just because you go against popular opinion or debate for multiple days. People are just too emotional about this, I know everyone has their heroes but still..

Heatblaze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for deathpoolthet1000
DeathpooltheT1000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Battle Threads should be considered a hate crime!!!

Also the people that post in those are a bunch of virgins that dont have a life.

Battle Forum = Hate Group!!!

Avatar image for deactivated-5cb5c24a12dfe
deactivated-5cb5c24a12dfe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Battle forums have always been the sewer of the internet.

CitizenSentry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@k4tzm4n said:

Petty arguments after less than 20 posts? It's no wonder so many people have a negative opinion of the battle forums. Stop. Just... stop. Next time you see someone say something you disagree with, take some time to think about how you'd talk this individual face to face. There's no need to immediately type your honest thoughts and click "post." If you met and discussed this, odds are you'd stick to facts and not rude comments, right? Please, for the love of all that's holy, just try to do that. I've failed at that in the past, but it's always about growing and being a better person, isn't it? Just... please try it. Talking about comics - a hobby we all share - should be fun. Why would you want it to be a miserable experience that's full of frustration/anger/hate? Enjoy talking to your fellow fans, even if they don't agree with you, because that's, you know, the civil thing to do. I've spent so much time in the battles forum, but the way people approach debates has pushed me away from it. It should be an outlet where people have fun, so strive to have fun and learn, okay? Thanks!

I feel like this will accomplish nothing, so please, prove me wrong and make the battle forums a fun, informative, and welcoming place.

Seriously, do it.

Pretty please? I'll like, give you a gif with a thumbs up. I don't debate anymore, but it was a great time for me while I did it. Others should get to experience that, too.

This is why I'm following you. :)

Avatar image for fernandeztimothygian
fernandeztimothygian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No.

Avatar image for deranged_midget
Deranged Midget

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

Avatar image for kryptonianprime
KryptonianPrime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nah. Just ignore threads that feature Dragon Ball, The Flash, and Sentry.

conner_wolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By conner_wolf

@the_invincible_one: What do you mean becoming(

Characters get crapped on constantly on the Battle Forums, its nothing new. The mods do nothing about it because it doesn't fall within their jurisdiction, and I don't claim they should just ban trouble-makers outright, but if someone starts shit, mocks characters, etc... It'd help to at least say something. Letting people govern themselves always turns bad, we know this from history. You can't moderate everything, but it feels like they care about trolling less and less.