Are fan calcs headcanon?

• 70 results
Jko1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

So I've been thinking about this for a little while when I use the battle forums.

Basically what I'm asking is when are calculations done for a character's feats usable as a real and valid argument for a debate?

And also how should we interpret ambiguous feats and character statements? What I mean by ambiguous is that there is no way to give a definitive answer to how good or bad a feat or character statment is due to some missing and/or unkown variables.

JOVIOLMA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

They only have some value when you have number to use as a something relevant for the calc, such as the size of something, it's speed and the distance that it crossed in -- seconds, but I consider calcs that try to calc KE using several assumptions and several mathematical formulas head-canon, but I'm okay with Pixel scales since they are not trying to apply any complex calc, only scaling the size of something.

Avatar image for fullmetalemprah
FullMetalEmprah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By FullMetalEmprah

I believe calcs have their place as long as other things support their validity.

vsw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By vsw

Their are some exceptions(Like Speed, as Speedboat = Distance/Time, which we can determine most times), but generally, you shouldn't be trying to apply physics to a series which defies Physics.

Otherwise, things get messy, very, very quickly.

So, if the user uses Common sense, then no, it isn't Headcannon.

nwname

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 nwname  Moderator

@jko1: If no assumptions are made and the correct formulas are used in the calculation (practically never happens) it is only the quantification of a feat so not just head-canon. If the calc includes assumptions like “lets say that mountain was 1km, a reasonable height” “lets assume the height of the clouds were 3km” “lets say low end timeframe was 1 minutes” its just head canon. And most fan calcs (id say %99.9) use wrong values for impact or explosion damage, fracture energy of material etc.

Undre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jko1: yes like a bankia being a 10x amp. Or if one character scales to another. The only exception is if the feat contradicts another. Like kakashi cutting a lighting bolt with chakra lighting and reacting to it when itachi could barely react to it. Using data books is also bad when it contradicts statements and feats in the series

stormshadow_x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 22

Yes. No matter how good your math is you can't use it when all of these fictional series find a way to break them any way or the author didn't have numbers in mind. How many street levels have consistently dodged lightning?

green_skaar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yes. No matter how good your math is you can't use it when all of these fictional series find a way to break them any way or the author didn't have numbers in mind. How many street levels have consistently dodged lightning?

Floopay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Calcs are totally viable if they are done to multiple feats.

For example, if you calculate 3 feats, and 1 is way above the others. It's probably an outlier, and not really usable. But if you calculate 3 feats and they are all consistent; then I feel like they are completely viable. Calculations are a great way to find a character's baseline average, their maximums, and what's PIS.

Thanks for reading,
Floopay

Shinne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

@floopay: Sadly, users nowdays don't care about consistency anymore.

alextheboss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By alextheboss

The only time I consider calcs useable is when the numbers are directly given in the medium. For example, how Goku’s kaioken was directly stated to multiply his stats.

But yes, fan calcs are head canon. That’s why they are called “fan” calcs.

maestromage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jko1: If no assumptions are made and the correct formulas are used in the calculation (practically never happens) it is only the quantification of a feat so not just head-canon. If the calc includes assumptions like “lets say that mountain was 1km, a reasonable height” “lets assume the height of the clouds were 3km” “lets say low end timeframe was 1 minutes” its just head canon. And most fan calcs (id say %99.9) use wrong values for impact or explosion damage, fracture energy of material etc.

I don't think we should brush off all assumptions as incorrect. Sometimes the assumption isn't based on anything and it's basically just a guess, but other times you can have decent assumptions based on what's shown. You can often make perfectly reasonable low-end assumptions for a value or two and I think it's fine. But I do see where you're coming from and some assumptions are just pulled out of someone's ass lol.

Jko1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@maestromage: @nwgzsjuwhm96y2:That's kind of what I was thinking. I had the idea that if you don't make any assumptions and use the numbers that the author gives us and plug them into a formula properly, then it would not be headcanon.

So then by that logic, any assumptions made in a calc are headcanon. However, is it wrong to logically deduce an approximation of how good or bad a feat might be? Sure it may be headcanon but at the same time it's a reasonable assumption.

Like for example, let's say that in a comicbook a character lifts a car. Now how many pounds did that character lift? We can't say for sure since we don't know how much the car weighs. However, when we debate fiction, we are to assume that eveything in a fictional world is the same as the real world unless stated otherwise. An average car in the real world weighs roughly 4,000 pounds. So then by that logic, when that character lifted that car, is it safe to say that they can lift approximately 4,000 pounds?

I mean like I said before, we wouldn't know how much that character lifted for sure unless the author gave us an exact number of how much that car weighs, but should we still use the assumption of how much a car weighs in the real world as an approximation of how good that feat is in a debate until we have a definitive answer?

SkySanji

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The only time I consider calcs useable is when the numbers are directly given in the medium. For example, how Goku’s kaioken was directly stated to multiply his stats.

But yes, fan calcs are head canon. That’s why they are called “fan” calcs.

This.

Alavanka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Alavanka

Depends on how good the calc is, and if it makes sense or not. If you calc something to be like a country buster and the actual attack looks street level, then you dun goof'd. If you calc an attack that obviously blew up a city to be like street level, then you also dun goof'd. If you have a calc that is sourced by author/direct statements, measured meticulously, calculated with the right equations, and fits with what is shown on screen? Then sure, that calc is perfectly viable.

SkySanji

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@undre said:

@jko1: yes like a bankia being a 10x amp.

But there is no statement of it multiplying your stats....

Or if one character scales to another. The only exception is if the feat contradicts another. Like kakashi cutting a lighting bolt with chakra lighting and reacting to it when itachi could barely react to it.

A bed written Itachi!?

Using data books is also bad when it contradicts statements and feats in the series

Same goes for any other manga

You are CLEARLY here to attack Naruto and support Bleach....

Your post is just spewing Bias

Avatar image for deactivated-5d2cf537b4a1c
deactivated-5d2cf537b4a1c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yes, but head canon can override canon on these forums.

Anyone remember my boy Wally West?

No Caption Provided

Avatar image for gilgameshthepimptoendallpimps
GilgameshThePimpToEndAllPimps

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -1

Depends on how good the calc is, and if it makes sense or not. If you calc something to be like a country buster and the actual attack looks street level, then you dun goof'd. If you calc an attack that obviously blew up a city to be like street level, then you also dun goof'd. If you have a calc that is sourced by author/direct statements, measured meticulously, calculated with the right equations, and fits with what is shown on screen? Then sure, that calc is perfectly viable.

This, but I've always thought calcs should be an absolute last resort when it comes to quantifying feats.

Jko1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rajjar said:

Yes, but head canon can override canon on these forums.

Anyone remember my boy Wally West?

No Caption Provided

Contradictions? Don't even get me started on that...

RisingBean

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for deactivated-61364388226ff
deactivated-61364388226ff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@joviolma said:

They only have some value when you have number to use as a something relevant for the calc, such as the size of something, it's speed and the distance that it crossed in -- seconds, but I consider calcs that try to calc KE using several assumptions and several mathematical formulas head-canon, but I'm okay with Pixel scales since they are not trying to apply any complex calc, only scaling the size of something.

100% accurate.

For example the speed calcs from the seraphs in Baastard. There was a number how much lightyears they have coverd in distance and the timeframe how long they take. Fancalcs that uses numbers from the canon, are far more accurate, then any fanmade numbers.

Other example is the meteor calc (Deus Sema) They using panel calcs and the physical logic, but ignore the same logic on the same point. Also the timeframe and the fact that even fodder see the meteor shows, that they aren´t sub-relativistic. To inconsistent, to use this as a fact.

Another example are statements, or feats if they showing somenone crossing galaxys in one panel, or a very short timeframe. We have no numbers, but we have a possible imagination how fast they are. Those calcs are often "ok".

diydeath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yes and no. As long as you are using basic physics in relation to the character and not going craaaazy with advanced formulas then it's mostly okay.

Pixel scaling is almost always flawed due to artists not drawing to scale in multiple panels so I'd automatically consider that to be pure headcanon.

So yeah, it mostly boils down to common sense which, sadly, isn't very common...and that's why we get crap like light speed Naruto or universal Ichigo.

DevoidRuby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By DevoidRuby

We're trying to calc characters from anime and comics who regularly ignore the laws of physics using the laws of physics.

Seems like there's an issue there.

Jko1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@undre: @skysanji: Not gonna lie, when I was making this topic, Bleach was one of the verses I had in mind. I'm not trying to bash on Bleach or anything but honestly when people say that Bleach characters have bad feats or that their practically featless or that their feats gets highballed, they're kind of right. I think Bleach has got to be the most ambigous series in history when it comes to feats and character statements. Since you guys debate Bleach you probably know what kind of stuff I'm referring to.

Avatar image for marvelanddcfan24
MarvelandDCfan24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By MarvelandDCfan24

Fan calcs are meaningless 95% of the time so there not canon or head canon they are irrelevant CBs and live action do not obey our laws of physics and yes they are cool but still pointless

SkySanji

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jko1: Yeah I get where you are coming from

diydeath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jko1: You're right but on all fairness Bleach has plenty of feats that require almost no calcs. The only really ambigious feats are mostly involving Yhwach vs Ichigo since without a 2nd reference point to see how they scale directly, we have to rely on indirect scaling.

Such as Yhwach being sub relativistic (at bare minimum) thanka to scaling off of Ichibei and Mimi.

Or EoS shikai Ichigo scaling to light speed via Sternritters dodging Yhwach's light and the Captain Commander dodging Lille's trumpette.

I think this site just hates Bleach, if any other series had multiple feats that, for example, imply light speed or sub relativistic speed, that would be enough but in Bleach? You need a 3000 page doctoral thesis from WoG stating why those speeds are valid and even then you'd still have half the forun scream bloody murder.

anthp2000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 anthp2000  Moderator

They're not headcanon, but I still don't trust them in general.

XLR87T3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@undre said:

@jko1: yes like a bankia being a 10x amp. Or if one character scales to another. The only exception is if the feat contradicts another. Like kakashi cutting a lighting bolt with chakra lighting and reacting to it when itachi could barely react to it. Using data books is also bad when it contradicts statements and feats in the series

How fast is Naruto and Sasuke using that scaling? Cutting a Mach 300 lightning bolt is a mach 30-50 speed feat, and without that feat it changes things IIRC

FaradaySloth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Fan Calcs are only garbage when it involves physics like trying to figure out the amount of force aka what VS Battles does since the author didn't intend that. Any other instance is a piss poor counter to a valid argument.

Undre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jko1: funny only confirmed speed we got form naruto was Zetsu saying 100s of machs other than that no other speed feat, im bleach we get distances like how long it takes to get from point a to point B. We have gigajoules,We have ichigos sword melting sea, ichigo vaping moutains with no contact we get a 10x multipler for bankia. Gins bankia mach 500 and it can attack you cells. Kenny cutting a meteor ect.

All im saying if you think bleach is featless same can be said for naruto. Both series have about the same feats

Avatar image for deactivated-61215780523f9
deactivated-61215780523f9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Depends on the Calc and the amount of assumptions that have to be made for it.

Supermanthor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 20

Depends

Mister_Surreal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Fans calculations are the best way to decide what a character is capable of. Ambiguous feats should just be seen as outliers.

Amendment50

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Yep.

Undre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@skysanji: For ichigo and Kenpachi their bankia amps their base stats.

Its clear his speed gets amped he blitzed bykuaya to were he couldnt react. But when byakuaya went bankia just his raw power gets amped. Instead of having one sword he gets 1000s. Ichigos bankia speaclizes in his base stats getting a 10x amp

SkySanji

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@undre said:

@skysanji: For ichigo and Kenpachi their bankia amps their base stats.

No it doesn't nor can you prove it

Its clear his speed gets amped he blitzed bykuaya to were he couldnt react. But when byakuaya went bankia just his raw power gets amped.

You literally just proved my point it's not Like Kaioken or Ssj where all of their stats get multiplied

Instead of having one sword he gets 1000s. Ichigos bankia speaclizes in his base stats getting a 10x amp

Stop backtracking....

HypeBeastCSB15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By HypeBeastCSB15

@skysanji said:
@undre said:

@jko1: yes like a bankia being a 10x amp.

But there is no statement of it multiplying your stats....

Or if one character scales to another. The only exception is if the feat contradicts another. Like kakashi cutting a lighting bolt with chakra lighting and reacting to it when itachi could barely react to it.

A bed written Itachi!?

Using data books is also bad when it contradicts statements and feats in the series

Same goes for any other manga

You are CLEARLY here to attack Naruto and support Bleach....

Your post is just spewing Bias

Yeah I 100% knew what he was trying to do, and was gonna respond to it, but decided that this wasn't the thread for that.

HypeBeastCSB15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jko1: Calcs are fine as long as they're mathematically accurate and don't rely on too many assumptions. When it comes to statements, their credibility rely on context and the character making the statement. Databooks are a little more tricky than that, but id say when it comes to manga, a majority of the things stated are fact unless they are some type of literary device. Comics on the other hand, are typically dependent on the people writing them and can be written off or ignored, unless its consistent between many authors.

HypeBeastCSB15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@diydeath: True. From what I've seen bleach gets tons of disrespect and downplay on this thread for no reason at all. I'd go as far as to saying at least the god tiers were ftl if it didn't start a flame war every time those words are uttered.

Undre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Undre
kroczilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

My answer would be, it depends.

While obviously, most fictional verses show a blatant disregard for the rules of physics (or just about any other branch of science), there must always be a base assumption that with respect to feats, real world values apply else just about every feat in fiction can be considered "unquantifiable".

With that out of the way, I think other REASONABLE assumptions can be made taking into account the description of said feat, context, character statements (since they best reflect the views of the author) and consistency (I. E. Said feat should be reasonably consistent with what can be reasonable expected of the character performing said feat)

And even with the above, I believe a standard of using "low ends" should be applied (low end refers to using values so thoroughly downplayed that even an opponent cannot reasonable oppose the results).

That's my take.

HypeBeastCSB15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By HypeBeastCSB15

@undre: I never said it wasn't 10x to stats. That was him. All I was gonna address was your blatant Naruto downplay.

SkySanji

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@undre said:

@skysanji: @hypebeastcsb15: lol the downplay. Then what gets the 10x amp if its not the base stats. Plot armor?

It gets split similar to how Aizen described it when he fought Dangai Ichigo

Avatar image for madscientist224
Madscientist224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Fan calc. Fan made calculations. Fans idea (head) of what a,b,c and d in the story(canon) mean.

Fan calc = headcanon.

Yes.

Unlimited1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Absolutely not.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c97780a71ae4
deactivated-5c97780a71ae4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

We can use science to measure fiction but we can't use science to limit it.

seastone98

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah it pretty much is tho that doesn't mean it can't be used within REASON but it's much better 2 approach things as a writer than a scientist ESPECIALLY wen talking about FICTIONAL worlds (imo at least)