Are criticisms of DCEU films having weak/confusing plot really valid in the first place?

• 56 results
GodSaveMeNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Poll Are criticisms of DCEU films having weak/confusing plot really valid in the first place? (51 votes)

Yes 78%
No 22%

The most critically divisive DCEU films appeared to be Man of Steel and Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice.

A lot of the criticism aimed at the films seems to be the films having weak, illogical or confusing plot and stories.

I wonder: Are the criticism really legitimate? Because I had personally watched the films and I thought they made sense albeit executed in a way not as entertaining as MCU films. There is also the saying that if you don't understand the film, watch it again because you should not expect the director and screenwriter to make a film easy for you to understand. Supposedly simple films are for kids.

Whats your opinion on this? Discuss

• 
krisbishop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#1 krisbishop  Moderator

Weak? Not really.

Confusing? Yes.

Avatar image for buttersdaman000
buttersdaman000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Are the plots weak? No, not at all. At the very least in comparison to other CBM's it's not.

Are the plots confusing? Not really, but then again there's always someone asking why Zod didn't terraform mars smh

adamTRMM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

but then again there's always someone asking why Zod didn't terraform mars smh

lmao or "why didn't Diana grab the Kryptonite spear?!?!"

In theatrical cut of BvS, the African sequence, which moved the plot forward, was completely cut to pieces so the criticism here was totally legit.

iknowwhoyouare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

DCEU doesn't get enough criticism. It needs more

mimisalome

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By mimisalome

DC stories, at least in Comics and Animation series, are often intelligently written and well executed.

I guess that it doesn't translate well in live actions movies where they have to dumbs down some of the plot elements.

If Rick and Morty had a live action movie it would probably suffer the same criticism.

Avatar image for buttersdaman000
buttersdaman000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@adamtrmm said:
@buttersdaman000 said:

In theatrical cut of BvS, the African sequence, which moved the plot forward, was completely cut to pieces so the criticism here was totally legit.

That's another good one lol

Yeah, the editing of the TC warranted some confusion for sure, but if you've seen the UC and are still confused well.....smh...

adamTRMM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah, the editing of the TC warranted some confusion for sure, but if you've seen the UC and are still confused well.....smh...

No Caption Provided

I'm still salty with them releasing these Frankensteins and proving all the detractors right. Snyder has always been a magnet for overcriticism, their only chance was to be flawless...

DeathandGrim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Yes and needlessly convoluted for what they boiled down to (except Wonder Woman)

Blackdog2009

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

There's an anti DC agenda going on and it has been going on for years now. A lot of mindless sheep in here and other venues contribute to it.

Worldofthunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Worldofthunder

Only DCEU movie with weak plot is Justice League. Other DCEU movies' plots come off as confusing to some, though. Suicide Squad's plot was just horrible.

godzilla44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Only DCEU movie with weak plot is Justice League. Other DCEU movies' plots come off as confusing to some, though. Suicide Squad's plot was just horrible.

^^^

The_Justiciar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

MethoKi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've noticed that a lot of the persons claiming the movies to be confusing have clearly not been paying attention.

Are the plots confusing? Not really, but then again there's always someone asking why Zod didn't terraform mars smh

I mean, the guy explained why he wanted to do it to Earth.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b2121a0a9a00
deactivated-5b2121a0a9a00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

Avatar image for deactivated-5b2121a0a9a00
deactivated-5b2121a0a9a00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Confusing? No. Uninteresting and boring? Yes

BlackMarvel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah it's trash. It deserves the hate.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d731ee5de2e9
deactivated-5d731ee5de2e9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Of course it's confusing. Some people still can't figure out why superman didn't cover zod's eyes with his hands even though the movie showed what happens when heat vision hits kryptonians (see smallville fight). Or why superman didn't take zod to the desert to fight him, like this is dragon ball z.

Or why batman didn't throw the spear at doomsday

Avatar image for deactivated-5ae4a3e17c71e
deactivated-5ae4a3e17c71e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yes, but for weak plot, not much confusion though IMO.

deltahuman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By deltahuman

I don't think it's confusing. Nope. And I don't think the criticism is because the DCEU movie plots are confusing. That would be wrong too. People who defend the DCEU, including me need to understand why the DCEU isn't gaining positive recognition as much as say DC's Dark Knight Trilogy did. Before I point out anything further, I don't think earning $1 billion in the box office necessarily represents success. Lot of crap, unwatchable movies like some of the Transformers, Fast and Furious movies have earned $1 billion or more. To get adequate box office returns, you have to build a good franchise first. None of the first 5 MCU movies had earned $1 billion or more before the Avengers arrived and firmly established the MCU as a solid franchise.

That's where mistake number 1 started for the DCEU. They began to compete with an already well established, super popular franchise in terms of box office revenue without building a solid foundation for the franchise first. MoS didn't earn much. BvS went close to $1 billion. DCEU almost did it with their second movie itself. No matter how criticized BvS was, it was building a foundation. And the foundation was solid that agreed to the overall tone of the movie franchise and characters being built. Suicide Squad was an experiment which although critically panned was very successful in the box office. Wonder Woman was a step in the right direction but Justice League was a complete abomination that erased all the franchise building process, all the tonal consistency and the popularity among viewers. All because they tried to compete with a already well established franchise and movie universe with a pathetic half baked attempt and ended up taking ridiculous decisions. It was bound to fail.

So nope, the criticism is not due to the plot. Of course, the movies of the DCEU are not as campy, light hearted and colourful as the MCU ones but it didn't have to be. Two different superhero universes, each with its own unique identity was a perfectly possible and viable option. But JL hampered that a lot. There is a reason that Zack Snyder inspires a rabid fandom despite rejections from critics most of the time. People actually were collecting funds to make the release of an imaginary Snyder Cut possible. The fans were slowly gradually growing. Stuff doesn't happen overnight. The MCU became popular 4-5 years after the franchise was launched and that was at a time where there were no rivals. DCEU was doing fine until Justice League happened and set back progress by a lot.

I'm still ready for a fresh start. Not a reboot but redemption with Aquaman but right now after all the debacles, is it really possible to cultivate expectations. I was very satisfied with MoS and to a large extent by BvS. These movies gave me things I never got from the MCU. The Aesthetics of these two movies are captivating. The cinematography, the colour palette, the way the comic books were brought to life was stunning. The back ground score of both the movies was exhilarating. On an artistic level, the technique, creativity, set design and aesthetics were very different, comicbookish and overall comprehensive. The plot and dialogue had depth. The action sequences and the final acts were a visual spectacle. The plot took creative risks, the stakes were high, the tone was heavy and gritty and the movies didn't feel campy. The DCEU had an unique identity. After JL, you can hardly say that anymore.

MaverickMaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yes, the plot for BvS was confusing and dumb, the plot for JL was generic and boring. The plot for WW was ok, but its pretty much a reiteration of the first avenger,and suicide squad jad potential to be an insanely good film, but again, generic plot, generic villian = Borefest.

Man of steel = decent plot, decent action, a bit boring but its probably the best dceu film

Amcu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

When I watched BVS I had no clue what was going on. Parts of it seemed just like a jumbled compilation of random scenes. Like you could put them in any order and they would make no more sense. There was to much going on. I didn't know why at the begenning of the film Batman was floating up a cave with with some bats(this is the moment I gave up) I didn't know why Batman was randomly having these weird dream scenes. I didn't know why Flash popped up to say something about Lois. If I'm recalling correctly I didn't know why Batman was randomly chasing down these goons in cars and murdering everyone. I thought that the whole Batman vs Superman fight was incredibly dumb(I also started to feel some of the CG at the end).

I could talk about the film for a while. It was horrible. It's not the worst film I ever saw. However due to the fact that I care about DC and I love Batman it is my most hated film ever. It is likely the worst experience I've had watching a film.

MAZAHS117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Personally I‘ve yet to run into a plot in DCEU film I found confusing. Even with the jumbled mess of the BvS theater cut and even Suicide Squad, I was still able to follow along. As long as you‘re actually paying attention and not goofing off with your phone or friends, these cbm’s are not difficult to understand be MCU, DCEU, FOX etc..

MethoKi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't think it's confusing. Nope. And I don't think the criticism is because the DCEU movie plots are confusing. That would be wrong too. People who defend the DCEU, including me need to understand why the DCEU isn't gaining positive recognition as much as say DC's Dark Knight Trilogy did. Before I point out anything further, I don't think earning $1 billion in the box office necessarily represents success. Lot of crap, unwatchable movies like some of the Transformers, Fast and Furious movies have earned $1 billion or more. To get adequate box office returns, you have to build a good franchise first. None of the first 5 MCU movies had earned $1 billion or more before the Avengers arrived and firmly established the MCU as a solid franchise.

That's where mistake number 1 started for the DCEU. They began to compete with an already well established, super popular franchise in terms of box office revenue without building a solid foundation for the franchise first. MoS didn't earn much. BvS went close to $1 billion. DCEU almost did it with their second movie itself. No matter how criticized BvS was, it was building a foundation. And the foundation was solid that agreed to the overall tone of the movie franchise and characters being built. Suicide Squad was an experiment which although critically panned was very successful in the box office. Wonder Woman was a step in the right direction but Justice League was a complete abomination that erased all the franchise building process, all the tonal consistency and the popularity among viewers. All because they tried to compete with a already well established franchise and movie universe with a pathetic half baked attempt and ended up taking ridiculous decisions. It was bound to fail.

So nope, the criticism is not due to the plot. Of course, the movies of the DCEU are not as campy, light hearted and colourful as the MCU ones but it didn't have to be. Two different superhero universes, each with its own unique identity was a perfectly possible and viable option. But JL hampered that a lot. There is a reason that Zack Snyder inspires a rabid fandom despite rejections from critics most of the time. People actually were collecting funds to make the release of an imaginary Snyder Cut possible. The fans were slowly gradually growing. Stuff doesn't happen overnight. The MCU became popular 4-5 years after the franchise was launched and that was at a time where there were no rivals. DCEU was doing fine until Justice League happened and set back progress by a lot.

I'm still ready for a fresh start. Not a reboot but redemption with Aquaman but right now after all the debacles, is it really possible to cultivate expectations. I was very satisfied with MoS and to a large extent by BvS. These movies gave me things I never got from the MCU. The Aesthetics of these two movies are captivating. The cinematography, the colour palette, the way the comic books were brought to life was stunning. The back ground score of both the movies was exhilarating. On an artistic level, the technique, creativity, set design and aesthetics were very different, comicbookish and overall comprehensive. The plot and dialogue had depth. The action sequences and the final acts were a visual spectacle. The plot took creative risks, the stakes were high, the tone was heavy and gritty and the movies didn't feel campy. The DCEU had an unique identity. After JL, you can hardly say that anymore.

*Applaud from the back*

adamTRMM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@amcu said:

When I watched BVS I had no clue what was going on. Parts of it seemed just like a jumbled compilation of random scenes. Like you could put them in any order and they would make no more sense. There was to much going on. I didn't know why at the begenning of the film Batman was floating up a cave with with some bats(this is the moment I gave up) I didn't know why Batman was randomly having these weird dream scenes. I didn't know why Flash popped up to say something about Lois. If I'm recalling correctly I didn't know why Batman was randomly chasing down these goons in cars and murdering everyone. I thought that the whole Batman vs Superman fight was incredibly dumb(I also started to feel some of the CG at the end).

I could talk about the film for a while. It was horrible. It's not the worst film I ever saw. However due to the fact that I care about DC and I love Batman it is my most hated film ever. It is likely the worst experience I've had watching a film.

During the sequence, Bruce literally comments "In the dream, they took me to the light. A beautiful lie.".

Necromancer76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

In BvS, Batman murders people.

Enough said.

Amcu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@adamtrmm: I don't remember the dialogue clearly. I just remember that I didn't know what was going on and at that moment I started to think the movie was going off the rails.

adamTRMM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@amcu:

I explicitly pointed out this instance because I was getting confused in that moment as well, but before the scene ended, Bruce's narration explained it away by being a beautiful lie of a dream. A wishful, subconscious alternative to the grim, objective reality where he was forced to face his fears (the bats) and become Batman. The narrative accompanied the visual part, you didn't even have to deduct it, it was literally flat out stated.

adamTRMM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No homo, but you're too good for this place. ;)

Amcu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for youshallnotpass
YouShallNotPass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

How the hell can you be confused with BvS out of all films? Thats just an absolutely piss poor excuse, it wasnt hard to follow at all.

Devilmenworks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Devilmenworks

@deltahuman said:

Overall I agree with this. I understood the overall plot of BvS but I was confused at parts of it (like the nightmare part) and really disliked the portrayal of Lex Luthor. I understood that they were building a foundation but I felt there was too much crowded in in and they were trying to rush it to keep up with Marvel instead of building a strong foundation. And I also felt that a lot of potential was wasted in the movie.

@maverickmaster said:

Yes, the plot for BvS was confusing and dumb, the plot for JL was generic and boring. The plot for WW was ok, but its pretty much a reiteration of the first avenger,and suicide squad jad potential to be an insanely good film, but again, generic plot, generic villian = Borefest.

Man of steel = decent plot, decent action, a bit boring but its probably the best dceu film

I actually enjoyed JL but I understand where you are coming from in that it was generic. There was so much potential wasted in the movie. And I feel that MoS still is the best DCEU film up to date.

Paytience

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

They get panned because they're poorly written, badly cut, and horribly acted.

Veshark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

When you need to release a 180-minute Ultimate Extended Edition just to make your plot more cohesive....when all your movies are plagued with deleted scenes and cries for "director cuts"....when Snyder keeps releasing snippets of unused footage on his Twitter as if to argue that he could've made a superior Justice League movie....

Yeah, that criticism might be valid.

Transforma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Why can't ppl just sit back and enjoy a movie without throwing it to hell and back..? Social media changed everything..I find every action or CBM highly enjoyable..

Devilmenworks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@adamtrmm said:
@buttersdaman000 said:

It may have been easier to terraform Earth because it has oceans, an atmosphere, and has more available resources than Mars.

If Diana did have time to grab it, there is no guarantee that she would have enough force to stab him in the heart; and not to mention, Doomsday was too mobile to allow her do that. The only reason Superman did stab Doomsday in the heart was due to Diana restraining him, and inhaling a kryptonite gas shot from Batman. And even then, Superman had to gather momentum to stab Doomsday.

Of course it's confusing. Some people still can't figure out why superman didn't cover zod's eyes with his hands even though the movie showed what happens when heat vision hits kryptonians (see smallville fight). Or why superman didn't take zod to the desert to fight him, like this is dragon ball z.

Or why batman didn't throw the spear at doomsday

Batman had no chance of facing him. He was knocking Wonder Woman and Superman back who are far faster than him.

madcrusher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@veshark said:

When you need to release a 180-minute Ultimate Extended Edition just to make your plot more cohesive....when all your movies are plagued with deleted scenes and cries for "director cuts"....when Snyder keeps releasing snippets of unused footage on his Twitter as if to argue that he could've made a superior Justice League movie....

Yeah, that criticism might be valid.

it's just pathetic all around ; they failed when they rushed BVS out of MOS to catch up to marvel.

The should've done MOS 2 then a solo Bat film then BVS. Superman death meant nothing in BVS because we barely knew or cared about Clark. SS was awful, WW solid to good and JL mediocre at best.

ErickAgl17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

They F'd up rushing all their movies, trying to compete with MCU, if they took it with patience they wouldve done waay better, I like MCU more, but i Admit a properly done Batman Solo movie could crush almost every solo MCU movie.

Rightnow its just beating a Dead Horse, they should wait or reboot the franchise.

dngn4774

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 22

The OP doesn't address the real problem with the DCEU. I don't think fans are confused with the DCEU plots, there's just not enough character development to make fans care. You can't just throw half a dozen characters on screen, have them stop a cgi light beam from destroying the world, and call it a day. In order to win over a cbm audience you have to explain what makes these characters heroes and why they are worth rooting for. It's easier to do this when there are fewer characters to split the screen time (hence, the importance of solo movies before event movies).

Unfortunately, I'm not optimistic about the DCEU's future. It was a good idea to go back to solo movies, but a bad idea to make everything stand alone. Because nothing is really connected to a greater continuity anymore, the stakes don't really matter (outside of the franchise). I also don't think casual viewers will follow which movies are connected if it's not all one universe. The term "elseworld" is still kind of a niche phrase, and if multiple stories contradict each other they might just skip DC movies altogether.

HeroUp2112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I wasn't confused by any of them, I just plots were pretty weak and (especially in the case of BvS and Lex's plot) verrrrry thin.

deltahuman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@adamtrmm:

Lol, #NoHomo bro. We just need to keep the cult alive.

deltahuman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By deltahuman

@batman242:

Thanks man. Had that in my mind since a couple of days now.

Doofasa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Doofasa

I don't think it's the plots that are the major issue, it's how the stories are told and how the characters are developed. Most of the DCEU movies have jumbled pacing, choppy editing and spend far too long on slow motions or visual symbolism, instead of telling a compelling and comprehensive story (this is especially apparent in the Theatrical Cut versions). IMO Snyder is especially bad for this imbalance and if he spent more time on the story and less on the other crap they wouldn't have to chop the hell out of his movies to get them under 2 and a half hours.

As mentioned above, DCEU also suffers from trying to play catch up with an established universe, leading them to rush movies and characters to the extent that a lot of people have no emotional investment and that the character development is minimal.

Avatar image for theonewhopullsthestrings
TheOneWhoPullsTheStrings

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Weak, stupid and not thought out plot lines? Absolutely.

But please, stop with the nonsense about 'confusing'. No one was really confused, even the ones who were the ones actually upset about the plots; unless you count how confused they were that they went with such poorly thought out scripts.

Avatar image for thebestofthebest
ThEBeStOfTheBeST

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Damn.. hats off to you man.

APEX_pretador

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

MethoKi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Go to any YouTube clip of Christopher Reeve/Brandon Routh Superman and scroll down to that clip's comment section. You will notice lots of invalid arguments (to this day) of Cavill's Superman;

1. Killing Zod.

2. Zod not trying to terraform another planet

3. Not trying to leave the city in any of his fights.

4. Causing destruction.

5. Pa Kent giving Clark terrible advice on what to do.

6. Not being a symbol of hope.

These are clearly the arguments of people that either have not watched the film or blinded by their complete fanboyism of a Silver Age Superman and have not picked up any recent book.

There's some criticism that's valid, but a lot is just meaningless banter... especially on this website.

TwotoneZack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't find their plots confusing. To me it is more of an issue of being poorly edited, rushing movies, lack of character development (at least for BvS as I have not seen JL yet) people were still used to Dark Knight Batman so Batfleck was a bit of a jolt for the general audience that are not comic book fans, and trying too hard to be smart like a guy at a bar hitting on a woman and says his job is a "custodial engineer"

madcrusher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By madcrusher

@twotonezack said:

I don't find their plots confusing. To me it is more of an issue of being poorly edited, rushing movies, lack of character development (at least for BvS as I have not seen JL yet) people were still used to Dark Knight Batman so Batfleck was a bit of a jolt for the general audience that are not comic book fans, and trying too hard to be smart like a guy at a bar hitting on a woman and says his job is a "custodial engineer"

so much this was long yet still edited to hell That ruined a lot of character and plot development and left the scenes feeling unconnected at times. That Knightmare scene confused the crap out of the GA who doesn't know comics.

Snyder doesn't know how to tell an efficient narrative when too many characters or subplots are involved. His narrative reach exceeds his narrative grasp. He's not Nolan who can tell a multi layered story efficiently with fully developed themes and characters that the audience can follow.

The reason MOS is half way decent is because the story is simple and that's right in Snyder's wheelhouse.

Nighthunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 4

They aren´t perfect, yet for the most part the DCEU Movies (With the exception of Suicide Squad) have been decent to good. Wonder Woman being the only one that blows away.

Yet, they don´t feel as generic and repetitive as Marvel´s