Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 140

#101  Edited By Avenging-X-Bolt
@ComicMan24 said:
"Apparently we can have three Flashes but not two Atoms. "

well to be fair all the flashes are pretty popular established characters but Ray is really the only prominent Atom.

i think honestly that you're blowing things a bit out of proportion. i mean you do have some points but i wouldnt say its racism. 

Avatar image for cezar_thescribe
Cezar_TheScribe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#102  Edited By Cezar_TheScribe

No, comics are not racist.  

They go with what sells.  

The Mango

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#103  Edited By The Mango
@xybernauts said:
"Personally I see this happen alot in black comedy, where they make fun of Caucasians. The occasional joke referencing white behavior is funny, but such jokes have become to prevalent in black comedy. I think black comedians do it as a homage to Richard Prior, but the trend has become common place that it seems to come across as black racism towards Caucasians."
I don't think it's as prevalent in black comedy as it is in latino, but really this is prevalent in all comedies, even white people do it if they want to seem edgy. "White people do this! Black/Mexican/Asian people do that!"

But I do think it's funny how every black comedian has the same "white voice." Actually there are two, one where the guy raises his voice, talks through his sinuses, and pushes up imaginary glasses on his nose. The second is where the guy lowers his voice and tries to sound like a news anchor.
vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

User Lists: 2

#104  Edited By vance_astro  Moderator
@The Mango said:
" @xybernauts said:
"Personally I see this happen alot in black comedy, where they make fun of Caucasians. The occasional joke referencing white behavior is funny, but such jokes have become to prevalent in black comedy. I think black comedians do it as a homage to Richard Prior, but the trend has become common place that it seems to come across as black racism towards Caucasians."
I don't think it's as prevalent in black comedy as it is in latino, but really this is prevalent in all comedies, even white people do it if they want to seem edgy. "White people do this! Black/Mexican/Asian people do that!" But I do think it's funny how every black comedian has the same "white voice." Actually there are two, one where the guy raises his voice, talks through his sinuses, and pushes up imaginary glasses on his nose. The second is where the guy lowers his voice and tries to sound like a news anchor. "
To be honest you can't do a joke about any race without being stereotypical.It won't be funny otherwise.
IrishX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#105  Edited By IrishX
@The Mango said:
"Actually there are two, one where the guy raises his voice, talks through his sinuses, and pushes up imaginary glasses on his nose. The second is where the guy lowers his voice and tries to sound like a news anchor. "

What about the third one where they do a country redneck voice?
Avatar image for augustus_freeman_vi
Augustus Freeman VI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Don't forget the surfer guy valley girl voice in the minority comedian's repoitoire (not just black comedians) I've never like the white guy voice by comedians and I've always likened it to minstrel shows done by white entertainers in the past. Also don't act like white people are the only ones to get their voices parodied. EVERY Muslim even males do the so called terrorist chant and all black guys get the thug or rapper treatment.

Now on to the topic at hand I don't think the comic industry is racist. I understand the reason that the majority of characters are white. However I do take offense to the lack of variety in the characterization black characters. Almost all have the same background

Avatar image for emperor_gonzo_noir
Emperor Gonzo Noir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 17

I personally think Ryan's death was part of Geoff John's secret plan to bring back the silver age

emptytomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#108  Edited By emptytomb
@The Mango said:
" @emptytomb said:
"

Claiming Christopher Columbus and Spain didn't discover America, the new world, but vikings yet not having real proof that they did but a little map that they think is some part of U.S or canada shows bias bigotry by whites. I've seen the map anyone could of drawn similar maps and it doesn't look like a part of America, the new world. That is not proof. As for comics they are bigot but who really cares they're just comic books. Don't wait on others to do somehting-you do it. Yes Christopher Columbus discovered America, the new world, for the old world.

"
It's pretty well known that scandinavians made it at least to Greenland, which is considered part of North America (at least as much as Hispaniola, the Island Columbus landed on).  And secondly, Columbus was Italian, and both Spanish and Italian people are white anyway, so I don't get how this is racist. "

Greenland is not part of the new world, the americas. Greenland is near england and Iceland which neigbors England and is visible to England. People in that time were scared to go futher into the unkown because they thought the world was flat but here is a quote to how Greenland came to be or was discovered  ''it is said that Norwegian-born Erik the Red was exiled from Iceland for murder. He, along with his extended family and thralls, set out in ships to find a land rumoured to lie to the northwest. After settling there, he named the land Grœnland ("Greenland"), supposedly in the hope that the pleasant name would attract settlers.'' Yes it would seem their is no difference in Spanish, italian but to come people they think being white is being a certain degree.
velle37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#109  Edited By velle37
@xybernauts said:
"@Vance Astro: Yeah, and comic books have black characters, but that doesn't mean their isn't discrimination, or are you telling me I'm wrong? It's easy to say it's ok for black people to stereotype white people in their jokes because black people joke about black people, but would people feel the same if it was a white comedian stereotyping a black person? That's the way it is. We act like we can say anything we want about them, but gods forbid they say anything about us. For example, back in the days of Def Comedy jam on HBO the black comedian would deliberately pick on the white person in the audience because they were white and this wasn't an occasional occurrence, but it happened quite frequently.  Can you imagine if it was Aspen Colorado and the white comedians picked on the one group of black people in the audience on a regular basis. As for Hip Hop, yes there are artists who just aren't good, but there is also this sentiment that if you don't come from a certain background you can't express yourself through rap and if you do you're ridiculed and frowned upon as a wannabe, or am I wrong about that too? From my perspective white artists simply began to avoid rap to avoid the insults that came with it. Maybe white artists are just not successful or maybe labels just don't pick them up because they don't fit a certain image. I'm just trying to see things from the other end of the spectrum. Simply, my point is the problem of racism is two sided. "

When you say "we" you generalize. I don't do that. And all black people don't agree with that behavior...... as the evidence of two people disagreeing with it confirms that. 

If a comedian says something, it shouldn't reflect on their "race" it should reflect on them. Simply grouping comedians that follow this trend, then saying their actions are promoted by their race is nonsense, and is racist in and of itself... from whoever says it. 

No to mention this "trend" is jjust part of nature that has been exploited throughout history by both races.... White people have made fun of Black people for centuries in literature, cartoons, and all other forms of media....... 

Black face?....

" @velle37 said:
Society is what puts white people on a pedestal. It's what's been weaved in since the founding. It is largely unintentional sometimes nowadays because it's just second nature to depict white people as noble and selfless; some aren't doing any conscious "white supremacy" they just can't get out of this habit since it's the "norm." Writers write about what they identify with, even if just aspectually. You can't write about something you have no understanding of (which contributes to a lot of bad writing today). Writers create characters for many reasons. Sometimes the executive has a goal, or needs to meet a quota, sometimes a writer just has a cool idea. But the creation of minority characters (more so black charactes) can just be an effort towards equality, yet still many times is just labeled as reverse racism and just a different form of discrimination. I was all over the internet on different sites when the new aqualad came out, and every third or so posted reaction was about how "this is affirmative action" "why kill tempest for this?" "If they need a black character why not use the ones they have." "Token" ......... yadda yadda yadda. Lose lose situation. Any action on the principle of race is going to be scrutinized. Even done on the principle of equality (which it should, not on the principle of "race"), some will just shift their perspective to the race aspect. These things in society need to change. Because society has it's norms for behavior and what is and is not taboo, this country's foundation on the prosperity of white people takes precedence. Even just the mention of a black character shifts the mental opinions and expectations of the character. Because they are not seen as heroes, they are seen as "black" heroes..... this is a trend America coincides with.... A white person is just an American... But a black person is an African American (despite the fact that Africa is a continent, not a country)..... Asian people are Asian American...... there is a label because the archetype typically portrayed that means "Human" is a white male. That's just how history has made it's footprints on society's ways. Oppressing both women and people of color. This is what makes the characters mimic this, not just the presence of a majority, it's the power. White people have had the most influence. Thus their views will be portrayed most often. When views shift, depictions shift with them. I agree with your past few statements, and the "history lesson" was just intended to prove my point, not come off as pretentious. I apologize. "

i think you mean HISTORY put white people on a pedestal.it's not the problem of anyone who is alive today.You don't know how everyone thinks and neither do I so therefore I chose to believe that people's intentions are noble or they aren't attempting to come off a certain way until PROVEN otherwise. To be perfectly honest there are alot of Black heroes...most of them aren't good.Most black people can't ACTUALLY identify with them because they are written and created by people who don't know anything about us (us meaning black people).In order to write a black character you have to have an understanding of black PEOPLE first. This isn't just comics this is television and movie characters as well.It's not because people are racist they just lack the knowledge on the subject.

@Multiverse said:
I think we need to distinguish between intent and effect. I would assume that when a writer decides to create a new character or kill off an existing character they are not doing so based on racist motives. Also, I happen to like Batman but don't think I am being racist because my favorite character is white. That said, by way of example, I can accidentally elbow someone in the nose and give them a bloody nose. Their nose would still be bloody whether I intended to hurt them or not. Similarly, in comics, white people, such as myself, may like white characters, put more effort into writing them, and put them in more prominent positions within comics. This may, unintentionally, have the effect that minority characters are not written "correctly", are more likely to be less prominent, and to have a smaller fan base/be less profitable. Nonetheless, to the extent that having access to disproportionately fewer characters with which one can identify might be considered harm, I would say that comic books are often racist in effect. "
There really isn't a disproportionate amount of black heroes.There's just a disproportionate amount of Black heroes that are actually popular.I could sit back and say Marvel doesn't promote their black heroes because they are racist but they don't promote their white characters either.At least not well.They have lost their way,don't know what they are doing.They think the only way to keep Spider-Man and Wolverine popular is too put them in EVERY COMIC! So i feel like this.Unless a writer or a company takes the initiative to make something of their black characters then things will change.Other than that i'm not complaining because ALOT of characters are getting the shaft not just black ones. "

History did do that...... but those who are influenced by history perpetuate the inequality that is still present. 

History hasn't just "gone away", and neither has it's influences... The world is not peaches and cream, and racism still exists.... Though i respect your optomistic outlook,,,,,,, i agree that you can't judge a negative portrayal as simply racism without proof, and that's not what i am doing, i am saying that subconciously the comics are going to be written that way, because society is that way..... Even the names of cities reflect real life..... It's about connecting the ordinary with the extraordinary in a "believable" way........ 

i wouldn't say most black heroes aren't very good. Of the few prominent black heroes, i'd say most of them aren't "written" well....... For many reasons that you have stated, and a few that you have not...... 

There are many subtle influences of racism all throughout comics, that affects the work ad reading of even those who are not intentionally racist......
Sling Shot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#110  Edited By Sling Shot

As for the representation of characters in comics, I think it appeals to the majority of comic buyers....who happen to be racist sexists...lol (but really they are)....Hope I didn't ruffle any feathers...lol
As for the lack of asian  characters, although a large percentage of the creators are Asian: a number of possibilities....maybe they think caucasian characters are more super....much how little black girls thought little white dolls were prettier than little black dolls in Brown vs the board of Education....Or maybe they want to get paid...and know that the majority of their money comes from white males ( who may or may not be racist and sexist, but have no problem with an ethnicaly unbalanced super-universe) which they may see no probem with because there real lives are unequally-balanced in the same fashion....maybe....lol!

velle37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#111  Edited By velle37
@Sling Shot said:
"As for the representation of characters in comics, I think it appeals to the majority of comic buyers....who happen to be racist sexists...lol (but really they are)....Hope I didn't ruffle any feathers...lol As for the lack of asian  characters, although a large percentage of the creators are Asian: a number of possibilities....maybe they think caucasian characters are more super....much how little black girls thought little white dolls were prettier than little black dolls in Brown vs the board of Education....Or maybe they want to get paid...and know that the majority of their money comes from white males ( who may or may not be racist and sexist, but have no problem with an ethnicaly unbalanced super-universe) which they may see no probem with because there real lives are unequally-balanced in the same fashion....maybe....lol! "

Societal conditioning and portrayal........ Society "determines" beauty..... Thin white females... Blue eyes.... Straight hair... Blonde hair........ etc........ Caucasian attributes epitomized........... 
velle37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#112  Edited By velle37
@Vance Astro said:
" @Roddy010 said:
" @Vance Astro: You should really be an activist that or a lawyer...You're really good... "

Do you draw?
vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#113  Edited By vance_astro  Moderator
@velle37 said:
History did do that...... but those who are influenced by history perpetuate the inequality that is still present.  History hasn't just "gone away", and neither has it's influences... The world is not peaches and cream, and racism still exists.... Though i respect your optomistic outlook,,,,,,, i agree that you can't judge a negative portrayal as simply racism without proof, and that's not what i am doing, i am saying that subconciously the comics are going to be written that way, because society is that way..... Even the names of cities reflect real life..... It's about connecting the ordinary with the extraordinary in a "believable" way........   i wouldn't say most black heroes aren't very good. Of the few prominent black heroes, i'd say most of them aren't "written" well....... For many reasons that you have stated, and a few that you have not......  There are many subtle influences of racism all throughout comics, that affects the work ad reading of even those who are not intentionally racist...... "
You cannot blame people for what they are not doing on purpose.If you are white than most likely you will more identify with white people and that's the same thing with any race.If I were to make my own comic book company right now.  

I don't think there is racism in comics.I think what you are viewing as racism is really just an awkwardness of the writers about the topic of racist because they never know how a character will come off to other people. I think alot of what may seem to be racist is just an honest attempt of the writers to connect with different audiences.Black people buy comics just like white people do just like asians do,just like hispanics do..i'm sure Marvel and other companies would like to connect with all of them but as you can see many companies can't even connect with people of different age groups and genders well.So I don't think it's a race thing it's more a matter of them not knowing what to do. Many people like to think writers are sexist as well.Maybe they just don't know women.If there is any profession that's getting you laid..it sure as hell isn't Comicbook writing.
vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#114  Edited By vance_astro  Moderator
@velle37 said:
Who said i'm "blaming" them?I'm simply stating wht's happening.  And there isn't awkwardness, just ignorance in general.  Like i said, there are comic writers that are simply influenced by the environment and times they are forced to write in. But there are bigots in comics. "
You're stating what's happening but it's not a fact.You don't have any proof that it is happening.People can only create are on what they have reference for.I'm not saying there are no bigots in comics..I'm just saying that you don't know what is bigotry on their part or what isn't because you don't know every artist's intentions or reasoning behind the moves they make.You are only guessing or assuming.
drkhwk2001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#115  Edited By drkhwk2001

Art imitates life, and if you think we still live in a racist scociety. Then yes they are. But if you love the characters you love not for there race or color(because alot of charaters are aliens). Then maybe not. I grew up in a time and place where racism was tolerated and or accepted. So if you love comics, don't let it become a catalyst for a racial debate, love comics for the enjoyment it brings you and work on yourself and let comics be what they are FICTIONAL.

vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#116  Edited By vance_astro  Moderator
@drkhwk2001 said:
" Art imitates life, and if you think we still live in a racist scociety. Then yes they are. But if you love the characters you love not for there race or color(because alot of charaters are aliens). Then maybe not. I grew up in a time and place where racism was tolerated and or accepted. So if you love comics, don't let it become a catalyst for a racial debate, love comics for the enjoyment it brings you and work on yourself and let comics be what they are FICTIONAL. "
DRKHAWK2001 +1
drkhwk2001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#117  Edited By drkhwk2001
@Vance Astro said:
" @drkhwk2001 said:
" Art imitates life, and if you think we still live in a racist scociety. Then yes they are. But if you love the characters you love not for there race or color(because alot of charaters are aliens). Then maybe not. I grew up in a time and place where racism was tolerated and or accepted. So if you love comics, don't let it become a catalyst for a racial debate, love comics for the enjoyment it brings you and work on yourself and let comics be what they are FICTIONAL. "
DRKHAWK2001 +1 "
Gimme some dap young blood...........................LOL
vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#118  Edited By vance_astro  Moderator
@drkhwk2001 said:
" @Vance Astro said:
" @drkhwk2001 said:
DRKHAWK2001 +1 "
Gimme some dap young blood...........................LOL "
gives dap
difficlus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#119  Edited By difficlus

I think GOlden and Silver age DC was extremely Racist, there wasn't even a coloured member on the justice league, today white males still get the majority titles in most comicbooks but i feel the attitude is changing...

velle37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#120  Edited By velle37
@Vance Astro said:
" @velle37 said:
Who said i'm "blaming" them?I'm simply stating wht's happening.  And there isn't awkwardness, just ignorance in general.  Like i said, there are comic writers that are simply influenced by the environment and times they are forced to write in. But there are bigots in comics. "
You're stating what's happening but it's not a fact.You don't have any proof that it is happening.People can only create are on what they have reference for.I'm not saying there are no bigots in comics..I'm just saying that you don't know what is bigotry on their part or what isn't because you don't know every artist's intentions or reasoning behind the moves they make.You are only guessing or assuming. "

Were not arguing here. You said the same thing i said. 

I said that comics and comic writer are/have been influened by racism, and you took that as me accusing somone specifically. Even you said you will not say there are no bigots in comics, but you will not accuse without proof. But I'm wrong? Who have i accused?..... I said comics have influences of discrimination.. which they do.... That's all i said... I gave backstory for why it' present, but that doesn't change the fact that it is present..... 

The proof of a bigot is bigotry...... Seeing it in action...... (Just becaus he denied that guy a job, doesn't mean he did it because the guy was black.....VS.... Just because he denied that guy a job who had far better credentials than the non-black guy he hired doesn't mean.......... wait..... hold up.......). If it's seen specifically or pointed out, an accusation can be made. 

i simply said in general that the industry is structured that way, from past events. You even gave examples that supported it's structural flaws (no writers that can write from the correct perspective...) 

I stated there are structural flaws, you pointed one out, but somehow, you believe me to be falsely accusing someone, when i haven't pointed anyone out in particular.

Unless you think that comics is completely racism free, and is not influenced at all by it's aims or intentions, then we have nothing to disagree about..... Because that is all that i essentially said..... 
vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#121  Edited By vance_astro  Moderator
@velle37 said:
I said comics have influences of discrimination.. which they do....
What are you basing this on though?
drkhwk2001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#122  Edited By drkhwk2001
@fallenangel5991 said:
" Subconciously, everything is racist... "
Sorry, wrong..................everything is biased not racist.
velle37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#123  Edited By velle37
@Vance Astro said:
" @velle37 said:
I said comics have influences of discrimination.. which they do....
What are you basing this on though? "

The discrimination present of course.. What else?.... How do you not notice inequality in both portrayal and treatment?...... 

If they were to make a team that was coincidentally all Black characters, the entire feel would be perceived differently, because these are "black heroes"
 and not "heroes"..... 

Yet if an entire team is composed of white people, hisis just seen as normal, it wouldn't stigmatically shift to being about whiteness... Because this is what heroes are...... Superpowered white people...... 

I ad DC one million, and they explained 853 centuries.... Of Superman's dynasty... All throughout the future....... An entire family of superpowered white people...... Thye married purple and green people... But their children always turned out white......... The face of the most powerful and respected hero in that era and in all of history was caucasian..... Not one person of any color in that family...... Not even Steel.......

The majorty of alien races are just Alien versions of white people........ Kryptonians...A planet of flying, laser shooting, super strong whie people..... 

Atlantis...... A country of waterbreathing, fast swimming, magical white people...... 

Maxima... White..... her planet.... white people, New Gods...  white people (other than Darksied and a few).... 

Amazons were largely portrayed as white, then some behind the scenes advocated diversity...... 

Portrayals are just projections.... It's nothing superior to the psychology of any other person..... Humanoid depictons of aliens with "human" thoughts, feelings, emotions, gender conformities, etc..... "White male human"oid.......... 

This isn't always conscious as i said before..... This is sometimes what simply flows from writers, because this is their vision and this is what they relate too..... But it's there....... which is all i said 

pixelized

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#124  Edited By pixelized

I just want my M to be black.

Avatar image for fallenangel5991
fallenangel5991

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#125  Edited By fallenangel5991
@drkhwk2001 said:
" @fallenangel5991 said:
" Subconciously, everything is racist... "
Sorry, wrong..................everything is biased not racist. "

If you think about what I said deeply, you will find that I am right.  
When was the last time an Asian Superhero went to bed with a white Super Heroine?
vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#126  Edited By vance_astro  Moderator
@velle37 said:
The discrimination present of course.. What else?.... How do you not notice inequality in both portrayal and treatment?......  If they were to make a team that was coincidentally all Black characters, the entire feel would be perceived differently, because these are "black heroes" and not "heroes".....  Yet if an entire team is composed of white people, hisis just seen as normal, it wouldn't stigmatically shift to being about whiteness... Because this is what heroes are...... Superpowered white people......  I ad DC one million, and they explained 853 centuries.... Of Superman's dynasty... All throughout the future....... An entire family of superpowered white people...... Thye married purple and green people... But their children always turned out white......... The face of the most powerful and respected hero in that era and in all of history was caucasian..... Not one person of any color in that family...... Not even Steel....... The majorty of alien races are just Alien versions of white people........ Kryptonians...A planet of flying, laser shooting, super strong whie people.....  Atlantis...... A country of waterbreathing, fast swimming, magical white people......  Maxima... White..... her planet.... white people, New Gods...  white people (other than Darksied and a few)....  Amazons were largely portrayed as white, then some behind the scenes advocated diversity......  Portrayals are just projections.... It's nothing superior to the psychology of any other person..... Humanoid depictons of aliens with "human" thoughts, feelings, emotions, gender conformities, etc..... "White male human"oid..........  This isn't always conscious as i said before..... This is sometimes what simply flows from writers, because this is their vision and this is what they relate too..... But it's there....... which is all i said   "
That's my objection.What you're calling "discrimination" may not be.The lack of good or popular black heroes doesn't PROVE discrimination.The actual reasoning for it is up to opinion. 

Also as far as what you're saying about Superman..most of that has been established years ago when comics were blatantly racist so you don't really have a point.Amazons are supposed to be white too.They are of Greek origin..greek people are white.They come from Themiscyra which is a location from Greek Mythology.Also there are Black people on the island of Themiscyra..look up Nubia.Also if i'm not mistaken there are black and asian New Gods.

Atlanteans are in the same boat.Namor looked Asian until more recent comics and even now depending on the artist he still looks a little asian and most Atlanteans are blue..not caucasian.The only ones that actually look white are Namorita and Namora and Namorita was actually blue herself before she was killed in Civil War.And if you want to look at DC's Atlanteans...They've had a hispanic Aquagirl and current Aqualad is black AND will be in the Teen Titans animated series.

What's next..are you going to bring up Asgardians who are SUPPOSED TO be white too? 

Also the majority of alien races aren't supposed to be white either I can name a ton that aren't.The Badoon,The Brood,The Kree,The Skrulls,The Celestials,The Wraiths,The Symbiotes,The Phalanx,The Centaurians,The Cotati,ect. etc. 
vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#127  Edited By vance_astro  Moderator
@fallenangel5991 said:
If you think about what I said deeply, you will find that I am right.   When was the last time an Asian Superhero went to bed with a white Super Heroine? "
There aren't enough asian superheroes to go around but Luke Cage ( a black hero) has "gone to bed" with alot of white female superheroines.I rarely see Asian Men with White Women in real life..so why would it happen in comics? Just to pretend they don't discriminate?
Magian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#128  Edited By Magian
@velle37: There are also black and asian looking kryptonians if I remember correctly.
vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#129  Edited By vance_astro  Moderator
@ComicMan24 said:
" @velle37: There are also black and asian looking kryptonians if I remember correctly. "

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided
Magian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#130  Edited By Magian
@Vance Astro: Thanks.
vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#131  Edited By vance_astro  Moderator
@ComicMan24 said:
" @Vance Astro: Thanks. "
Yup..
velle37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#132  Edited By velle37
@Vance Astro said:
" @velle37 said:
The discrimination present of course.. What else?.... How do you not notice inequality in both portrayal and treatment?......  If they were to make a team that was coincidentally all Black characters, the entire feel would be perceived differently, because these are "black heroes" and not "heroes".....  Yet if an entire team is composed of white people, hisis just seen as normal, it wouldn't stigmatically shift to being about whiteness... Because this is what heroes are...... Superpowered white people......  I ad DC one million, and they explained 853 centuries.... Of Superman's dynasty... All throughout the future....... An entire family of superpowered white people...... Thye married purple and green people... But their children always turned out white......... The face of the most powerful and respected hero in that era and in all of history was caucasian..... Not one person of any color in that family...... Not even Steel....... The majorty of alien races are just Alien versions of white people........ Kryptonians...A planet of flying, laser shooting, super strong whie people.....  Atlantis...... A country of waterbreathing, fast swimming, magical white people......  Maxima... White..... her planet.... white people, New Gods...  white people (other than Darksied and a few)....  Amazons were largely portrayed as white, then some behind the scenes advocated diversity......  Portrayals are just projections.... It's nothing superior to the psychology of any other person..... Humanoid depictons of aliens with "human" thoughts, feelings, emotions, gender conformities, etc..... "White male human"oid..........  This isn't always conscious as i said before..... This is sometimes what simply flows from writers, because this is their vision and this is what they relate too..... But it's there....... which is all i said   "
That's my objection.What you're calling "discrimination" may not be.The lack of good or popular black heroes doesn't PROVE discrimination.The actual reasoning for it is up to opinion.  Also as far as what you're saying about Superman..most of that has been established years ago when comics were blatantly racist so you don't really have a point.Amazons are supposed to be white too.They are of Greek origin..greek people are white.They come from Themiscyra which is a location from Greek Mythology.Also there are Black people on the island of Themiscyra..look up Nubia.Also if i'm not mistaken there are black and asian New Gods.  Atlanteans are in the same boat.Namor looked Asian until more recent comics and even now depending on the artist he still looks a little asian and most Atlanteans are blue..not caucasian.The only ones that actually look white are Namorita and Namora and Namorita was actually blue herself before she was killed in Civil War.And if you want to look at DC's Atlanteans...They've had a hispanic Aquagirl and current Aqualad is black AND will be in the Teen Titans animated series. What's next..are you going to bring up Asgardians who are SUPPOSED TO be white too?  Also the majority of alien races aren't supposed to be white either I can name a ton that aren't.The Badoon,The Brood,The Kree,The Skrulls,The Celestials,The Wraiths,The Symbiotes,The Phalanx,The Centaurians,The Cotati,ect. etc.  "

You differ on what you view as discrimination. Fine. That's actually a good thing. 

I never said the lack of popular/good black characters was discrimination. I was pointing out the lack of ethnic characters in general. 

Dc one milion wasn't made "a long time ago." And i don't particularly care about it persay, it just struck me as weird. 

And nowadays there is getting to be more diversity, which shows progress, But the people of Almerac, and the New Gods were mainly white, as were the kryptonians. Last Son idon't recall any ethnic kryptonians, and Jax-ur was retconned from a young black male to and old white male. I was taking about DC's Atlantis where the entire society was white. One hspanic person, and one black person doesn't offset this. Furthemore, they aren't atlantean. Both have had some kind of gene modification (hyde's past isn't clear, but this was hinted at throguh siren's convo with manta). 

But these are beside the point. You interpret my word different from my actual meaning. The most prominent faces of comics are caucasian faces. Aliens typically take a bacground seat as well, regardless of heir color too. Is this not true or something? 

i am not complaining, or accusing, simply stating what was. And what has not been completely overturned. You seem to be under the impression that there are no racially motivated executive actios taken by comics.... The very creation of a Hispanic and Black character in the Aquaman family is racially motivated.... It's goals appears a positive one, but it is still contingent on the principle of race....... 

What are you really trying to say to me.. in the shortest most efficient way possible?......
xybernauts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#133  Edited By xybernauts
@velle37 said:

When you say "we" you generalize. I don't do that. And all black people don't agree with that behavior...... as the evidence of two people disagreeing with it confirms that. 

If a comedian says something, it shouldn't reflect on their "race" it should reflect on them. Simply grouping comedians that follow this trend, then saying their actions are promoted by their race is nonsense, and is racist in and of itself... from whoever says it. 

No to mention this "trend" is jjust part of nature that has been exploited throughout history by both races.... White people have made fun of Black people for centuries in literature, cartoons, and all other forms of media....... 

Black face?....

I know it does not reflect how all black people feel, but when you see comedian after comedian voicing the same view it encourages the view that how all black people feel.  There are people out there who don't differentiate between the individual and the race. A really good example of how people don't differentiate between the individual and the race  is Obama.  Perhaps people should judge him as an individual not based on his race but in the en,d the truth is his presidency, good or bad, won't just reflect him as an individual, but it'll reflect black people as a whole.   And on a smaller scale, the same applies to black artists as well.   Wiser people will realize the views of an individual don't reflect the views of an entire race, but unfortunately not everyone is wise.   

To say that there aren't cases where one's actions aren't promoted by their race is naive. Comedians who follow this trend are influenced by race, but that doesn't mean that all of them are racist., I know that. But that doesn't mean that this form of expression doesn't come across as racist to others who perceive this form of expression. Alot of comedians use jokes as a pulpit to express their own personal views. And if people see those views as being bigoted, it sometimes encourages them to believe it's ok to express that bigotry, so long as it's portrayed in a way that's socially acceptable.

You're right that other races have committed similar offenses, but that doesn't mean it's ok when minorities do it. What we do sets the standard for how others treat us. MLK Jr's crusade against racism exemplified this. I've posted on numerous occasions in defense of black people, I just want to point out that change in comics or otherwise has to be two sided. I think MLK Jr. best illustrated this. You can't expect the other side to change, but then ignore your own fault as if they don't exists . And pretending it doesn't happen doesn't work either. People are politically correct so they aren't gonna just blatantly come out and do racist things that will hold them legally or socially liable, but every so often they ever so subtly express that bigotry. The tea party movement is a perfect example of this. And the expression represents that underlying conflict between races boiling under the surface. Sometimes it resolves itself and other times it takes  terrible tragedy like the holocaust or slavery for people  to acknowledge what's happening. 

Sometimes certain forms of expression, like comedy, can be good because it allows a society to express views that otherwise might be to controversial to express. And this expression, what ever form it comes in, can be cathartic. The expression of such views can allow people to relieve growing tensions in society and creates dialogue. But other times such expression only treats the symptoms of an underlying problem, but they don't treat the underlying cause. And instead of using such forms of expression to treat the problem, they instead use it as a subtle way to express their bigotry. And the undeterred expression of bigotry encourages others to believe to be bigoted is OK.  So instead of vigilantly resolving the source of their bigotry they give in and allow it to taint their views.

There's nothing wrong with making a joke here and there, I know that. Stereotypical jokes are funny, in part because they have shock value but we have to remember  when one side crosses that line it encourages the other side to do the same. MLK Jr.s ministry was successful in part because he acknowledged both sides,.

What inspired my post is the fact that the original poster took the time to reach out and see how the otherside might feel and I felt I should try and do the same thing.   
vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#134  Edited By vance_astro  Moderator
@velle37 said:

You differ on what you view as discrimination. Fine. That's actually a good thing.  I never said the lack of popular/good black characters was discrimination. I was pointing out the lack of ethnic characters in general.  Dc one milion wasn't made "a long time ago." And i don't particularly care about it persay, it just struck me as weird.  And nowadays there is getting to be more diversity, which shows progress, But the people of Almerac, and the New Gods were mainly white, as were the kryptonians. Last Son idon't recall any ethnic kryptonians, and Jax-ur was retconned from a young black male to and old white male. I was taking about DC's Atlantis where the entire society was white. One hspanic person, and one black person doesn't offset this. Furthemore, they aren't atlantean. Both have had some kind of gene modification (hyde's past isn't clear, but this was hinted at throguh siren's convo with manta).  But these are beside the point. You interpret my word different from my actual meaning. The most prominent faces of comics are caucasian faces. Aliens typically take a bacground seat as well, regardless of heir color too. Is this not true or something?  i am not complaining, or accusing, simply stating what was. And what has not been completely overturned. You seem to be under the impression that there are no racially motivated executive actios taken by comics.... The very creation of a Hispanic and Black character in the Aquaman family is racially motivated.... It's goals appears a positive one, but it is still contingent on the principle of race.......  What are you really trying to say to me.. in the shortest most efficient way possible?...... "

Whether you were talking about Black characters or any ethnic characters the reason for the lack of them CURRENTLY is up to opinion.If you don't know the process,you can't say for sure. 

DC's Atlantis doesn't have very many stand out characters.Since Aquaman AGAIN was created during a time where there was blatent racism in comics obviously his storyline was created in a way that would not only make him look more human than most  Atlanteans but it would make him look white.His looks among Atlanteans is however viewed as a curse.Also since most stand out Atlantean characters are created to be related to him..they all HAVE TO be white because HE IS.That's why Namor's family members look as they do.They have one white parent and one Atlantean parent.Even adding the black and hispanic characters they have in DC's Atlantis is a clear sign of affirmative action and DC trying to avoid discussions like this and cover their racist origins.They are trying. 

I'm not under the impression that there is no racially motivated actions in comics but to be honest alot of the things you are pointing out were established during a time where race relations where sh#t and the comics industry and every industry was dominated by whites.You brought up Wonder Woman and the Amazons for instance.DC actually retconned them for a greek feel..before they were pretty much Angels\Goddesses...how is that for white supremacy?  

You said that the very creation of a hispanic and a black atlantean is racially motivated.I agree.However...DC was very racist.I think they are just trying to show people they are trying to make their roster more diverse.
Avatar image for the_devil_tiger
The Devil Tiger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#135  Edited By The Devil Tiger

Ok...  

Just wait a good writer and a good drawer that will be goood story about blacks characters, and you will see them spawn like mushroom in a watered cave... 

Racial and sexual stuff in comics follow the flow of writers and drawers aptitude of making them cool. Just saw Midnighter and Appollo, after them and all the buzz around them being gay, it was almost the hype to have at least one bisexual in the team. (Ultimate Colossus, Daken, the list goes on... ) 

But I admit that some writer follow some conservative view about some subject... 

velle37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#136  Edited By velle37
@xybernauts said:
"@velle37 said:

Black face?....

I know it does not reflect how all black people feel, but when you see comedian after comedian voicing the same view it encourages the view that how all black people feel.  There are people out there who don't differentiate between the individual and the race. A really good example of how people don't differentiate between the individual and the race  is Obama.  Perhaps people should judge him as an individual not based on his race but in the en,d the truth is his presidency, good or bad, won't just reflect him as an individual, but it'll reflect black people as a whole.   And on a smaller scale, the same applies to black artists as well.   Wiser people will realize the views of an individual don't reflect the views of an entire race, but unfortunately not everyone is wise.     To say that there aren't cases where one's actions aren't promoted by their race is naive. Comedians who follow this trend are influenced by race, but that doesn't mean that all of them are racist., I know that. But that doesn't mean that this form of expression doesn't come across as racist to others who perceive this form of expression. Alot of comedians use jokes as a pulpit to express their own personal views. And if people see those views as being bigoted, it sometimes encourages them to believe it's ok to express that bigotry, so long as it's portrayed in a way that's socially acceptable.   You're right that other races have committed similar offenses, but that doesn't mean it's ok when minorities do it. What we do sets the standard for how others treat us. MLK Jr's crusade against racism exemplified this. I've posted on numerous occasions in defense of black people, I just want to point out that change in comics or otherwise has to be two sided. I think MLK Jr. best illustrated this. You can't expect the other side to change, but then ignore your own fault as if they don't exists . And pretending it doesn't happen doesn't work either. People are politically correct so they aren't gonna just blatantly come out and do racist things that will hold them legally or socially liable, but every so often they ever so subtly express that bigotry. The tea party movement is a perfect example of this. And the expression represents that underlying conflict between races boiling under the surface. Sometimes it resolves itself and other times it takes  terrible tragedy like the holocaust or slavery for people  to acknowledge what's happening.   Sometimes certain forms of expression, like comedy, can be good because it allows a society to express views that otherwise might be to controversial to express. And this expression, what ever form it comes in, can be cathartic. The expression of such views can allow people to relieve growing tensions in society and creates dialogue. But other times such expression only treats the symptoms of an underlying problem, but they don't treat the underlying cause. And instead of using such forms of expression to treat the problem, they instead use it as a subtle way to express their bigotry. And the undeterred expression of bigotry encourages others to believe to be bigoted is OK.  So instead of vigilantly resolving the source of their bigotry they give in and allow it to taint their views.   There's nothing wrong with making a joke here and there, I know that. Stereotypical jokes are funny, in part because they have shock value but we have to remember  when one side crosses that line it encourages the other side to do the same. MLK Jr.s ministry was successful in part because he acknowledged both sides,.   What inspired my post is the fact that the original poster took the time to reach out and see how the otherside might feel and I felt I should try and do the same thing.    "

That doesn't negate the fact trhat saying "we" indicates that i am grouped with this person's opinion and Actions. Actions i don't agree with. 

Simply because multiple comedians doing the same kind of joke reinforces a stereotype, doesn't meant the steroetype is an absolute, or has to be beleived in the first place. 

Instead of saying "we" in these situations, say "they" or aim at those who are particularly guilty of the offense. Because according to your posts, you don't necessarily agree with their actions either. So why group yourself with them simply because of race? You should group with those who are like-minded and positive, not things you disagree with, then off-handely project this onto others you feel fit into the catagory as well...........

@Vance Astro
said:
"@velle37 said:

You differ on what you view as discrimination. Fine. That's actually a good thing.  I never said the lack of popular/good black characters was discrimination. I was pointing out the lack of ethnic characters in general.  Dc one milion wasn't made "a long time ago." And i don't particularly care about it persay, it just struck me as weird.  And nowadays there is getting to be more diversity, which shows progress, But the people of Almerac, and the New Gods were mainly white, as were the kryptonians. Last Son idon't recall any ethnic kryptonians, and Jax-ur was retconned from a young black male to and old white male. I was taking about DC's Atlantis where the entire society was white. One hspanic person, and one black person doesn't offset this. Furthemore, they aren't atlantean. Both have had some kind of gene modification (hyde's past isn't clear, but this was hinted at throguh siren's convo with manta).  But these are beside the point. You interpret my word different from my actual meaning. The most prominent faces of comics are caucasian faces. Aliens typically take a bacground seat as well, regardless of heir color too. Is this not true or something?  i am not complaining, or accusing, simply stating what was. And what has not been completely overturned. You seem to be under the impression that there are no racially motivated executive actios taken by comics.... The very creation of a Hispanic and Black character in the Aquaman family is racially motivated.... It's goals appears a positive one, but it is still contingent on the principle of race.......  What are you really trying to say to me.. in the shortest most efficient way possible?...... "

Whether you were talking about Black characters or any ethnic characters the reason for the lack of them CURRENTLY is up to opinion.If you don't know the process,you can't say for sure.  DC's Atlantis doesn't have very many stand out characters.Since Aquaman AGAIN was created during a time where there was blatent racism in comics obviously his storyline was created in a way that would not only make him look more human than most  Atlanteans but it would make him look white.His looks among Atlanteans is however viewed as a curse.Also since most stand out Atlantean characters are created to be related to him..they all HAVE TO be white because HE IS.That's why Namor's family members look as they do.They have one white parent and one Atlantean parent.Even adding the black and hispanic characters they have in DC's Atlantis is a clear sign of affirmative action and DC trying to avoid discussions like this and cover their racist origins.They are trying.  I'm not under the impression that there is no racially motivated actions in comics but to be honest alot of the things you are pointing out were established during a time where race relations where sh#t and the comics industry and every industry was dominated by whites.You brought up Wonder Woman and the Amazons for instance.DC actually retconned them for a greek feel..before they were pretty much Angels\Goddesses...how is that for white supremacy?   You said that the very creation of a hispanic and a black atlantean is racially motivated.I agree.However...DC was very racist.I think they are just trying to show people they are trying to make their roster more diverse. "

The process is History, That is what influenced today's actions, and it is still a factor in everyday life. I don't understand why you can't see this.

DC is trying to make their roster more diverse. But there is strill ignorant fan rage at "affirmative action" for characters. People who dislike John for taking Hal's place, or Hyde for taking Garth's place (which he didn't, Garth wasn't even Aqualad anymore, his death just coincidentally happened at the same time....... Arsenal isn't killed for Speedy to be introduced, Nightwing isn't killed for the purpose of bringing a new Robin, but some react as if Garth was killed just so some black guy can be in comics......). 

All of these things are petty and trivial.... but they exist..... Which is all i said................
thatguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#137  Edited By thatguy

I'm sorry but people look WAY to deep into stuff... This is an example of that in my honest opinion. Apparently even comic writers try to "stick it" to the black man. Yeah maybe 60 years ago, but come on. People look so far into something that they see something that isnt there.

xybernauts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#138  Edited By xybernauts
@thatguy: lol, alittle paranoia is healthy. :) j/k
vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#139  Edited By vance_astro  Moderator
@velle37 said:
The process is History, That is what influenced today's actions, and it is still a factor in everyday life. I don't understand why you can't see this.

DC is trying to make their roster more diverse. But there is strill ignorant fan rage at "affirmative action" for characters. People who dislike John for taking Hal's place, or Hyde for taking Garth's place (which he didn't, Garth wasn't even Aqualad anymore, his death just coincidentally happened at the same time....... Arsenal isn't killed for Speedy to be introduced, Nightwing isn't killed for the purpose of bringing a new Robin, but some react as if Garth was killed just so some black guy can be in comics......).  All of these things are petty and trivial.... but they exist..... Which is all i said................ "
If we are talking about what is happening in comics RIGHT NOW, I can agree that things are the way they are because of the companies history but I cannot say as far as character creation that things are the way they are because of racism. All of the things you've brought up like how Kryptonians and New Gods look is thinks established in history.There is nothing stopping caucasian writers from making GOOD black superheroes.To be perfectly honest even to the new Aqualad being black.i agreed that it's racially motivated but it could be that the creator just wanted to go in a different direction but needed the "Aqua" prefix to make the character popular.Comic companies do that with characters all the time..they give characters another's mantle or a similar name so that they can gain fame off of an already popular character.
Avatar image for turoksonofstone
turoksonofstone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 24

#140  Edited By turoksonofstone

Yes, Comics are Racist AND Sexist.  They Always have been. What confuses me is how the many minority and female creators don't do more to change things, to this day all aspects of life are still geared in favor of the "white male majority". Though I think that the glass ceiling continues to erode slowly away. I would LOVE to see a top Asian creator create and stay on his own creator owned Asian character, same for Hispanic, Black,etc. creators. At the same time if all the top minority creators who write/draw white characters made their own Image comics style minority oriented company it too would be racist unless whites were given equal representation in the books and in the talent pool. More Black Panthers and Blue Marvels less Black lightnings and Black Goliaths. Nuff' Said. 

vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#141  Edited By vance_astro  Moderator

RACISM IS TOPS!

Avatar image for turoksonofstone
turoksonofstone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 24

#142  Edited By turoksonofstone
@Vance Astro said:
" RACISM IS TOPS! "
No, it's a diversion....
No Caption Provided
Ryonslaught

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 305

User Lists: 18

#143  Edited By Ryonslaught
@FadeToBlackBolt said:

" I think we need more Black characters in comics. Most of the ones we have now are either named Black something or terrible stereotypes (cough, Luke cage, cough). "

LOL Luke is much better nowadays than when he came out...don't even get me started on the 90's incarnation which was the "angry black man" in ever sense of the stereotype :P
velle37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#144  Edited By velle37
@Vance Astro said:
" @velle37 said:

DC is trying to make their roster more diverse. But there is strill ignorant fan rage at "affirmative action" for characters. People who dislike John for taking Hal's place, or Hyde for taking Garth's place (which he didn't, Garth wasn't even Aqualad anymore, his death just coincidentally happened at the same time....... Arsenal isn't killed for Speedy to be introduced, Nightwing isn't killed for the purpose of bringing a new Robin, but some react as if Garth was killed just so some black guy can be in comics......).  All of these things are petty and trivial.... but they exist..... Which is all i said................ "
If we are talking about what is happening in comics RIGHT NOW, I can agree that things are the way they are because of the companies history but I cannot say as far as character creation that things are the way they are because of racism. All of the things you've brought up like how Kryptonians and New Gods look is thinks established in history.There is nothing stopping caucasian writers from making GOOD black superheroes.To be perfectly honest even to the new Aqualad being black.i agreed that it's racially motivated but it could be that the creator just wanted to go in a different direction but needed the "Aqua" prefix to make the character popular.Comic companies do that with characters all the time..they give characters another's mantle or a similar name so that they can gain fame off of an already popular character. "

Like i said. we're not arguing. You just agreed with me. You just seem to interpret my comments different from my actual intention when posting them. 

You look for the good in them.... Which is a good thing.... But it seems you think i see only the bad, with no recoognition for the progress and non-racist actions present........... 

Just a simple misunderstanding.......
ENGLENTINE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1004

User Lists: 3

#145  Edited By ENGLENTINE

It's the money pure and simple.  If someone wrote an incredibly successfull comic about a black guy who was so ghetto he made Flava Flav look like Conan O'Brian, and his adventures took form in his enslaving white people and titled it White People suck Ass, then the next year you would have spin offs and copy cats galore. 

Sure our comic stands might not be filled with comics starring or written by black people, but if you remember when we did have a black owned Milestone comics, it entered with a sigh and left with nary a whimper. Even though some of those titles had some quality. 

If they sold well however, there may have been a Hardware movie before there was an Iron Man movie. Remember Spawn? 

Saying that there SHOULD be a number of minority characters on the shelf is a suggestively racist statement.  

geraldthesloth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#146  Edited By geraldthesloth
@Vance Astro said:
" RACISM IS TOPS! "
velle37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#147  Edited By velle37
@ENGLENTINE said:
" It's the money pure and simple.  If someone wrote an incredibly successfull comic about a black guy who was so ghetto he made Flava Flav look like Conan O'Brian, and his adventures took form in his enslaving white people and titled it White People suck Ass, then the next year you would have spin offs and copy cats galore.     Sure our comic stands might not be filled with comics starring or written by black people, but if you remember when we did have a black owned Milestone comics, it entered with a sigh and left with nary a whimper. Even though some of those titles had some quality.   If they sold well however, there may have been a Hardware movie before there was an Iron Man movie. Remember Spawn?    Saying that there SHOULD be a number of minority characters on the shelf is a suggestively racist statement.    "

How is asking for equal representation racist?
Kurrent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#148  Edited By Kurrent
@ViciousCesar! said:
" "  Are comics Racist?"

idk, mine seem to get along fine with all my non-comic books. 
"
LMAO!
speedlgt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#149  Edited By speedlgt

equal representation is not a BLACK issue in fact I would say that marvel and dc have included black heroes so that a DONE issue rather DC and Marvel need to focus on OH YEAH.......OTHER races.........thats right there are OTHER races like latinos! which WILL OUT NUMBER ALL RACES IN THE UNITED STATES IN YOUR LIFETIME!  and of course where is the native americans! asians! indians!  

those are the races that need to be represented and fast its enough with this white black issue. 

velle37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#150  Edited By velle37
@speedlgt said:

"equal representation is not a BLACK issue in fact I would say that marvel and dc have included black heroes so that a DONE issue rather DC and Marvel need to focus on OH YEAH.......OTHER races.........thats right there are OTHER races like latinos! which WILL OUT NUMBER ALL RACES IN THE UNITED STATES IN YOUR LIFETIME!  and of course where is the native americans! asians! indians!   those are the races that need to be represented and fast its enough with this white black issue.  "

Equal representation isn't just about the existence of a character. It's about quality writing going into that storyline. Whioch the vast majority of minority characters suffer from. Some caucasian characters suffer as well. But ethnic character often have their writing contingent on their race, which is wrong (or at least done in the wrong way sometimes)........