#1 Posted by Mister_Surreal (10159 posts) - - Show Bio

I know that this is not a very popular opinion, but I will go on about this none the less. Comic book media these days is pushing boundaries in new ways that readers have never seen before, good and bad. Themes within our favorite comic books are becoming more and more in line with what you would adult material. But at the end of the day comic books are meant to be advertised to younger audiences.

Some of more explicit sexuality along with the graphic scenes of violence and gore are just too much for a lot kids to handle. Teenagers won't care, but think about the number of people under ten who read comic books. This mostly of this refers to Marvel properties but some of it involves DC as well. Anyway, I think that a lot of comic book runs need to be toned in order to have kids be able to enjoy a story without seeing someone have their intestines ripped out. But what do you think?

#2 Posted by Supermanthor (18799 posts) - - Show Bio

Read squirrel girl Ms marvel unstop wasp Deadpool you will see how mature marvel is

#3 Edited by Supermanthor (18799 posts) - - Show Bio

@mister_surreal: that kind comics was under Marvel's max imprint it was set in a different universe marvel already said it's for adults

#4 Posted by Mister_Surreal (10159 posts) - - Show Bio
#5 Posted by Mister_Surreal (10159 posts) - - Show Bio
#6 Posted by ANTHP2000 (26821 posts) - - Show Bio

This is about Batman's dick isn't it?

#7 Posted by Mr_Shazam0920 (4528 posts) - - Show Bio

To be honest, and in the eyes of the real world, comic books are very childish. They have made strides with their cinematic universes, but the general public doesn’t keep up with the actual comics.

Avatar image for theinsufferable
#8 Posted by TheInsufferable (2682 posts) - - Show Bio

Since I'm selfish and I don't particularly care about the younger audience, the more mature they make it the more I like it. Although by mature I mean dealing with more mature subject matters rather than more senseless sex and violence.

#9 Posted by Supermanthor (18799 posts) - - Show Bio

@mister_surreal: no problem bro imo they should promote them by saying which is for adults and which is for kids in that wat parents will give thier child Right comics

#10 Posted by Magian (151462 posts) - - Show Bio

There are comic books for all ages.

#11 Edited by tparks (11807 posts) - - Show Bio

I think Marvel should strive for a PG-13 kind of maturity. They should be near family friendly, since they target kids so heavily with their marketing, but write for adults. A parent shouldn’t be upset to find out their kid has been reading Thor.

DC has been darker for 3 decades now, but still should try to hit that PG-13 rating.

And when they do have Mature rated books, they should be standalone books without crossovers, and clearly marketed and labeled for adults.

Archie is a great model. They have targeted young audiences for decades, then broke into mature rated stuff, and changed their marketing and made a new brand for those books. There is no chance to mix it up.

Other indie publishers can do what they want. Almost all of them are written at more mature levels then Marvel or DC do, and clearly target adults. A kid doesn’t accidentally pick up a book lIke Nailbiter and think it’s a kid’s book.

#12 Posted by Fabricolage (1914 posts) - - Show Bio

Seems dumb.

#13 Posted by MAZAHS117 (12537 posts) - - Show Bio

Nah. There are age appropriate comics already made and available for younger readers that involve the same characters as the books older readers buy. There is literally something for everyone out there, there’s no need to “tone” anything down. Parents don’t want their kids exposed to certain things, be it in comic books or whatever, then they need to do their parental job and pay attention to what their kid is doing or getting involved in.

#14 Posted by The_Kidd (11958 posts) - - Show Bio

There are many genres of comics which appeal to different age groups and other demographics. Would you ask this question for other entertainment mediums?

#15 Posted by tparks (11807 posts) - - Show Bio

@the_kidd said:

There are many genres of comics which appeal to different age groups and other demographics. Would you ask this question for other entertainment mediums?

Yes. We do. It’s weird that we make an exception for comics. No one is talking about another CCA, but kids should be able to read the comics that are marketed specifically to them (Marvel & DC), and expect them to be age appropriate. That is rarely the case anymore. Marvel and DC have had a long history of awful marketing strategies that they have never corrected, but they should at least take responsibility for writing content for their target audience.

They claim their target audience is adults, but 99.99% of their marketing is for kids.

#16 Posted by Tomkatie (3318 posts) - - Show Bio

It's always about Batman's dick

#17 Posted by ANTHP2000 (26821 posts) - - Show Bio

@tomkatie said:
@anthp2000 said:

It's always about Batman's dick

I think this is fair.

#18 Edited by Ghostodoofus (0 posts) - - Show Bio

Comic books are very much like movies, tv shows and games; some have mature content and some don't. Superman and Spider-Man comic books are mostly for readers aged 13 and over, Punisher and Judge Dredd comic books target 15+ readers and comic books like Preacher are definitely for more mature readers.

#19 Edited by Michaelbn (2350 posts) - - Show Bio
@mr_shazam0920 said:

To be honest, and in the eyes of the real world, comic books are very childish. They have made strides with their cinematic universes, but the general public doesn’t keep up with the actual comics

Most of these movies actually back that childish point you mentioned.

@theinsufferable said:

Since I'm selfish and I don't particularly care about the younger audience, the more mature they make it the more I like it. Although by mature I mean dealing with more mature subject matters rather than more senseless sex and violence.

This.

Avatar image for guardiandevil83
#21 Posted by Guardiandevil83 (9314 posts) - - Show Bio
#22 Posted by Supermanthor (18799 posts) - - Show Bio
#23 Posted by solar_nerd (2625 posts) - - Show Bio

In my opinion, they're not mature enough. Especially in Marvel's comics.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c17b8d97d1a7
#24 Posted by deactivated-5c17b8d97d1a7 (479 posts) - - Show Bio

Yes and they should stay that way tbh. Don't be all light hearted like the MCU is.

#25 Posted by Helloman (29619 posts) - - Show Bio

No.

#26 Posted by Yassassin (7689 posts) - - Show Bio

*muffled laughter*

#27 Posted by adamTRMM (9144 posts) - - Show Bio

Comics have done that since the early 80s kinda.

#28 Posted by Batvibe12 (5637 posts) - - Show Bio

No.

#29 Posted by rahiem9123 (1562 posts) - - Show Bio

@magian said:

There are comic books for all ages.

#30 Posted by vance_astro (90094 posts) - - Show Bio

They are in that middle ground between not written well enough to be taken seriously but not entirely for kids and teens.

#31 Posted by Combo-Man (228 posts) - - Show Bio

Well I'm definitely of the opinion that mainstream comic books (especially the superhero genre) should not feature explicit sexual themes or excessively cruel scenes of violence.

however that doesn't mean that superhero comics can never be challenging. that said they're supposed to be fun adventure stories so they shouldn't be too challenging.

#32 Posted by biswaboxz (3642 posts) - - Show Bio

No

#33 Posted by Pistroke (20 posts) - - Show Bio

DC Black Label is for mature audience.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c0937ce9ad57
#34 Posted by deactivated-5c0937ce9ad57 (73 posts) - - Show Bio
#35 Posted by Blades24 (24 posts) - - Show Bio

Yes