#1 Posted by Oscars94 (3183 posts) - - Show Bio

This movie was fun, with interesting visuals and was a nice change from the sepia/dark tone of the other DC Films. However, it could've been so much more! Better writers are needed for these DC Films. Let's stop applauding medicority, none of the current DCEU films have been incredible, they can be so much better! I enjoyed it. I always vouched for Aquaman calling him a badass while loads of my friends kept saying "he's the guy who talks to fish right?" Well Aquaman was a badass in this film. Visually it's stunning and I love the character designs.

However, there are many things that bring this film down. Momoa plays Aquaman as a real dude bro which is fun for a while but really doesn't make him an interesting character. Him and Amber Heard (Mera) have little to no chemistry on screen.

Orm/ Oceanmaster could have been better. Patrick Wilson's line delivery when screaming to the crowd was hilariously terrible/cringey. "AT-LAAAAN-TIIIS!" He was interesting but his actions didn't really make sense. He returned the rubbish back to the surface world along with battle ships. And his plan was to unite Atlantis' armies by killing it's other rulers. Why not sent those same tidal waves crashing onto the surface. They would be more than enough. Or simply go to the surface world (in a highly armed ship surrounded by heavily armoured guards) and explain to Earth that Atlanteans exist, stop destroying the oceans or they will destroy the surface world.

He then sent more Atlanteans to deal with Arthur and Mera and he gives the most powerful weapon to Black Manta, a human for some reason. Someone weaker than the average Atlantean. Why not give an Atlantean minion the energy blaster instead? Black Manta's a popular DC villain but I would've preferred him being the focus in maybe the next film or in a supervillain team up in a later film rather than just being an afterthought in this film.

Also why did the Atlanteans openly accept Arthur as their king? Yes Orm killed multiple kings to gain control of their armies but Arthur raised a ferocious mythical monster and killed many Atlanteans (his own people). That is the text book definition of what a villain would do.

The action scenes were incredible, showcasing the unique way Atlanteans use their abilities. The soundtrack was quite disappointing. None of it seemed to suit the film and there was a horrific cover of Africa by Toto playing when they were in the desert.

A lot of the jokes didn't land. "Something.. something trident..." just wasn't executed well.

This movie was fun, with interesting visuals and was a nice change from the sepia/dark tone of the other DC Films. However, it could've been so much more! Better writers are needed for these DC Films. I know they can do it!

#2 Posted by MonsterStomp (36706 posts) - - Show Bio

The film isn't even in cinemas anymore. Get with it.

#3 Posted by Magian (151206 posts) - - Show Bio

I think most people are going to agree with you on this. No one ever said that it was a masterpiece.

#4 Posted by Heatforce (5890 posts) - - Show Bio

@oscars94 said:

This movie was fun, with interesting visuals and was a nice change from the sepia/dark tone of the other DC Films. However, it could've been so much more! Better writers are needed for these DC Films. Let's stop applauding medicority, none of the current DCEU films have been incredible, they can be so much better! I enjoyed it. I always vouched for Aquaman calling him a badass while loads of my friends kept saying "he's the guy who talks to fish right?" Well Aquaman was a badass in this film. Visually it's stunning and I love the character designs.

However, there are many things that bring this film down. Momoa plays Aquaman as a real dude bro which is fun for a while but really doesn't make him an interesting character. Him and Amber Heard (Mera) have little to no chemistry on screen.

Orm/ Oceanmaster could have been better. Patrick Wilson's line delivery when screaming to the crowd was hilariously terrible/cringey. "AT-LAAAAN-TIIIS!" He was interesting but his actions didn't really make sense. He returned the rubbish back to the surface world along with battle ships. And his plan was to unite Atlantis' armies by killing it's other rulers. Why not sent those same tidal waves crashing onto the surface. They would be more than enough. Or simply go to the surface world (in a highly armed ship surrounded by heavily armoured guards) and explain to Earth that Atlanteans exist, stop destroying the oceans or they will destroy the surface world.

I assume his plan involved invading the land while flooding it.

Announcing their presence would be a bad move tactically. Plus like Zod, I don't think Orm gave a crap about humans.

He then sent more Atlanteans to deal with Arthur and Mera and he gives the most powerful weapon to Black Manta, a human for some reason. Someone weaker than the average Atlantean. Why not give an Atlantean minion the energy blaster instead? Black Manta's a popular DC villain but I would've preferred him being the focus in maybe the next film or in a supervillain team up in a later film rather than just being an afterthought in this film.

Because Black Manta is a human with a seething hatred for Aquaman, it makes him the perfect assassin for political reasons. Remember, Orm told Manta to kill both Arthur and Mera which goes against what he promised the xebel (he wanted Mera returned alive).

Also why did the Atlanteans openly accept Arthur as their king? Yes Orm killed multiple kings to gain control of their armies but Arthur raised a ferocious mythical monster and killed many Atlanteans (his own people). That is the text book definition of what a villain would do.

A number of reasons: he's thr first heir, he defeated orm in combat, Atlanna returned so she technically is the queen and can choose her successor and finally he has the trident of Atlan which makes him the master of the world's oceans. Plus it's not like every atlantean is hapoy with Arthur. Just hasn't been shown yet.

The action scenes were incredible, showcasing the unique way Atlanteans use their abilities. The soundtrack was quite disappointing. None of it seemed to suit the film and there was a horrific cover of Africa by Toto playing when they were in the desert.

A lot of the jokes didn't land. "Something.. something trident..." just wasn't executed well.

This movie was fun, with interesting visuals and was a nice change from the sepia/dark tone of the other DC Films. However, it could've been so much more! Better writers are needed for these DC Films. I know they can do it!

My comments in italics

#5 Posted by Supermanthor (16065 posts) - - Show Bio

@oscars94 said:

I assume his plan involved invading the land while flooding it.

Announcing their presence would be a bad move tactically. Plus like Zod, I don't think Orm gave a crap about humans.

Because Black Manta is a human with a seething hatred for Aquaman, it makes him the perfect assassin for political reasons. Remember, Orm told Manta to kill both Arthur and Mera which goes against what he promised the xebel (he wanted Mera returned alive).

A number of reasons: he's thr first heir, he defeated orm in combat, Atlanna returned so she technically is the queen and can choose her successor and finally he has the trident of Atlan which makes him the master of the world's oceans. Plus it's not like every atlantean is hapoy with Arthur. Just hasn't been shown yet.

My comments in italics

i seconded

#6 Posted by Blackdog2009 (3706 posts) - - Show Bio

this thread is bad and it can't get worse … or can it?

#7 Posted by MetalJimmor (6146 posts) - - Show Bio

Aquaman was a good movie. Maybe even great. But the script was really weak. If Warner Brothers had gotten a better and more experienced script writer Aquaman could have been a truly phenomenal movie. It needed better dialogue and maybe a little trimming here and there. The desert stuff wasn't very interesting and I feel it would've been easy to write around it, as an example. Shift that time around to build character relationships or explore the villains in more detail.

I'd be very interested in seeing what scenes were cut in the end. Obviously Aquaman wasn't a botch job like Suicide Squad or BvS but I am sure some neat tidbits were left on the cutting room floor given the movie's length.

#8 Posted by Supermanthor (16065 posts) - - Show Bio