Arthur

Avatar image for war_of_light_2814
war of light_2814

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Aquaman but Thor was a pleasant surprise for me.

MetalJimmor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Thor's idea for a movie was to take this sci fi fantasy warrior hero and depower him for most of the movie and stick him in a small town.

Aquaman's idea for a movie was to take this sci fi fantasy warrior hero and hurl him into breathtaking battle sequences reminiscent of a beautiful fusion of Lord of the Rings and Star Wars.

It isn't hard to see why one is getting far more attention than the other. Thor's movie almost seemed like it didn't want to be a Thor movie.

uugieboogie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Aquaman

Mike_Fowler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Mike_Fowler

@metaljimmor: eh? Didn’t the first arc for Thor in the comics have almost exactly that type of plot line ?

Correct me if I’m wrong

JediXMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#11 JediXMan  Moderator

Aquaman. Not really a fan of Thor 1.

stormshadow_x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 22

Aquaman

MetalJimmor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mike_fowler:

Back when every character had an obligatory secret identity? Sure. But Thor has come a long way since the days of Donald Blake. I didn't go to a movie about a space viking god with the power of storms to see him have coffee at starbucks and get hit by a car a few times.

Even then they didn't exactly do anything with the Donald Blake concept. Thor abandoned it the second he got his hammer back so it all feels kind of pointless.

mrmonster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Aquaman

Mike_Fowler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Mike_Fowler

@metaljimmor: point was less about Donald Blake, and more about him being sent to earth depoweered (in a way) to learn humility

It’s like, that’s practically the essential part of thor origin, so I don’t see how it didn’t “want to be a thor movie”

mexcomics2078

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By mexcomics2078

Aquaman

Amcu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Thor 1. Mismatch.

m2k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Thor actually had dramatic moments to be found in its meager humor attempts.

Aquaman tries too hard to be some grand epic by throwing everything but the kitchen sink in there but ultimately ends up an over bloated fun flick with no regards for logic. Thor is easily the better flick cuz it's apparently clear it's not trying to be something it's not.

MonsterStomp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By MonsterStomp

Thor 1 is one of my favourite solo Marvel films. Probably third in line from Iron Man and Winter Soldier.

Avatar image for indomitableregal
IndomitableRegal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wait, this is asking which one was better? Aqauman by leagues (under the sea...). Thor 1 was one of the worst MCU movies -- bottom 3 imo.

CyberpunkCop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@amcu said:

Thor 1. Mismatch.

You can't be serious

Richubs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@amcu: The polls say otherwise.

Asgaard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Asgaard

I was making the exercise of imagining 2011 Thor as a $200M Cgi-fest like Aquaman was, and thinking if the results by the end of Avengers Infinity War would be the same or different, for better for worse?

I mean would Loki be the Avengers villain, would Asgard be at the center of the Infinity Stones plot, and would Thor be the main hero of biggest comic book movie till this day aka Infinity War? Nope, for that it was needed all the character development and worldbuilding that Thor 1 had, so for the most part i prefer movies where the appeal isn't all focused on the visuals, sure that i would probably liked some more action sequences in Thor 1 but at that period the Mcu movies weren't produced by Disney yet and Feige didn't have money for more, and if that would mean the non development of for example the sense of worthiness that by now is heavy marked on pop culture (in such way that 2018 Aquaman actually tried to copy it but failed) i would always prefer Thor being worthy.

2011 Thor almost follows its main narrative its not loud like other comic book movies but humble enough to be worthy...

Amcu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@amcu said:

Thor 1. Mismatch.

You can't be serious

100%. Thor 1 is the most underrated CBM that I'm aware of. Aquaman wasn't very good.

@richubs said:

@amcu: The polls say otherwise.

True. Just shows how far my opinion on films often is from other CV users.

Kevd4wg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@asgaard said:

I was making the exercise of imagining 2011 Thor as a $200M Cgi-fest like Aquaman was, and thinking if the results by the end of Avengers Infinity War would be the same or different, for better for worse?

I mean would Loki be the Avengers villain, would Asgard be at the center of the Infinity Stones plot, and would Thor be the main hero of biggest comic book movie till this day aka Infinity War? Nope, for that it was needed all the character development and worldbuilding that Thor 1 had, so for the most part i prefer movies where the appeal isn't all focused on the visuals, sure that i would probably liked some more actions sequences in Thor 1 but at that period the Mcu movies weren't produced by Disney yet and Feige didn't have money for more, and if that would mean the non development of for example the sense of worthiness that by now is heavy marked on popular cultural (in such way that 2018 Aquaman actually tried to tried to copy it but failed) i would always prefer Thor being worthy.

2011 Thor almost follows its main narrative its not loud like other comic book movies but humble enough to be worthy...

Haven't seen Aquaman but I agree with everything this says about Thor

Richubs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Richubs
Loading Video...

@amcu: This scene almost killed me when I first watched it. I felt like I was watching power rangers.

I don't like the movie very much. My mom does tho. But to each their own I guess.

Amcu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@richubs: I thought that scene was awesome. But I respect your opinion.

Richubs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@amcu: I actually didn't think the scene was too bad.

But it became cringey when they showed the reactions of people when Thor gets his powers back. Jane's "Oh. My. God" for example.

Amcu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@richubs: Hmm I never hated Jane like 95% of the site. Her statement isn't what made me like the scene or anything but it didn't take away from it for me.

Richubs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@amcu: I don't really hate Jane but I do feel like they never used her well.. Natalie Portman is a good actress and they wasted her.

Amcu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@richubs said:

@amcu: I don't really hate Jane but I do feel like they never used her well.. Natalie Portman is a good actress and they wasted her.

They could have used her better. I'll admit that.

MarlboroMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I disliked Aquaman but still was better than Thor 1.

The_Hajduk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Thor's idea for a movie was to take this sci fi fantasy warrior hero and depower him for most of the movie and stick him in a small town.

Aquaman's idea for a movie was to take this sci fi fantasy warrior hero and hurl him into breathtaking battle sequences reminiscent of a beautiful fusion of Lord of the Rings and Star Wars.

It isn't hard to see why one is getting far more attention than the other. Thor's movie almost seemed like it didn't want to be a Thor movie.

I see where you are coming from, but in this case Marvel was actually being very faithful to the source material by giving Thor his proper origin story. He DID get banished and depowered for a long time, before he eventually became the Thor we know.

Worldofthunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Aquaman in a stomp

FaradaySloth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Aquaman>>>>All 3 Thor movies.

MetalJimmor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@the_hajduk:

True. I was just hoping for something with a bigger scope. It is true that it is faithful to the source material, but a the same time confining Thor to a small town just didn't feel like it did him justice. Plus he was only human for a few days. Not really time to "grow to love Earth" like we keep being told happened even though he never willingly goes back there except to fight something.

But that is just classic movies rushing emotional development that should take a lot longer.

Mutant1230

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

@amcu: I agree with you that Thor is underrated.

Tenguswordsman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Aquaman, but it is close.

xzone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers