Epicyon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

@gaoron said:

Damn she's hot.

Shut up. Looking at your profile I can tell you're a weirdo. ?

Gaoron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@epicyon said:
@gaoron said:

Damn she's hot.

For this fish lady I can be whatever wierdo she wants :p

dirtytree332

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Still gets gutted like a fish by MCU Black Panther.

Avatar image for speedforceuser_
speedforceuser_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

mrmonster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By mrmonster

@epicyon said:
@gaoron said:

Damn she's hot.

And I can tell that you're a 13 year old troll. Hate to be so brutal, but it's the truth.

mrmonster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

December 21st cannot come soon enough.

Epicyon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@epicyon said:
@gaoron said:

Damn she's hot.

And I can tell that you're a 13 year old troll. Hate to be so brutal, but it's the truth.

I'm 17 moron but nice try.

stormshadow_x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 22

What did this thread turn into

FaradaySloth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

CyberpunkCop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Looks like 2 rubber figures trying to fight in a pond

Avatar image for guardiandevil83
Guardiandevil83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

GeorgeWBush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

CGI looks bad

Avatar image for almightyamortal
AlmightyAmortal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By AlmightyAmortal

Speaking as someone who has some real experience in fighting with the staff, the techniques they are employing are.... fine, and it would make an entertaining fight, if it were not for the fact that it looked more like video-game characters than actual people, using the weapons.

An additional problem: Whenever I see Willem Dafoe, I only see him as green goblin. I can't take him seriously as a potential ally for aquaman, when all I hear, when he is talking, is a the green goblin laugh.

mrmonster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Speaking as someone who has some real experience in fighting with the staff, the techniques they are employing are.... fine, and it would make an entertaining fight, if it were not for the fact that it looked more like video-game characters than actual people, using the weapons.

An additional problem: Whenever I see Willem Dafoe, I only see him as green goblin. I can't take him seriously as a potential ally for aquaman, when all I hear, when he is talking, is a the green goblin laugh.

I know this isn't really on topic, but could you tell me a little about what that was like. I love discussing marital arts.

AlmightyAmortal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By AlmightyAmortal

@mrmonster:

Fair warning, it is quite lengthy.

When I said some experience, I truly meant some. My 5 &1/2 years practicing karate provided me the opportunity to observe the black belts using weapons such has the staff and nunchaku. Oceanmaster's usage of both slashing and thrusting techniques with the trident, matches what I had observed the black belts doing. I appreciate this for how it, in my eyes, prevents the fight appearing like children using pool noodles. His attempt to target not just aquaman's head and lower legs, was great for cinematic purposes as it prevents the fight from seeming repetitive and boring, but also shows that Ocean master is at least knows basics, in that there or more vulnerable parts of the body one should target. The fluidity in how Oceanmaster switched from targeting one leg to the other, is something my senpais, and others, would always encourage.

Personally, I did not have much practice with staff or stick fighting until I joined a Filipino cultural group for just over a year that, among other things, introduced people to FMA (Filipino Martial Arts), which includes, stick fighting (such as you see during Arrow, particularly the earlier seasons, in his sparring sessions with Diggle and Sara Lance), "dirty boxing/street fighting" (jabs, crosses, etc., but with elbows, and open hand strikes and more), then dumog (basically filipino wrestling). Fluidity is a key part of all aspects of FMA, which was emphasized repeatedly by my teacher.

It is not so well known, but FMA is not restricted the short stick , but other weapons as well. The relevance here being that Oceanmaster's grip (both hands on the lower end of the trident) seemed similar to what I had seen during my time learning FMA. Of course, it is very likely that the choreography was using Bo staff techniques, primarily found in the more easily recognized Chinese kung fu. I have been told that there similarities although I have not practiced it myself. It must also be noted that Oceanmaster's foot work (the little seen when they were not "flying" around) was good in that it allowed him to strike quickly but still not sacrifice his balance. The specific moment when steps back dodge Aquaman's was good, because inexperienced fighters may only attempt to move their upper body, which sacrifices balance and stability. His next move, to spin and strike at Aquaman's leg demonstrates that he is capable of calmly gauging the distance between his opponent and himself, demonstrating his experience as a fighter, and the fluidity from his transition from dodging an attack and then instantly attacking is something I wish I had in real life.

As for Aquaman... I have never claimed to be an expert, but I will rarely attempt to hold the long weapon the way he is holding the trident - slashing and thrusting with one arm -> I'v been disarmed too many times to think that it's a good idea to do so. Perhaps it is because of my inexperience that I don't like how Aquaman blocks Oceanmasters strike, with only one hand on his trident. I don't know how he could stop the force generated by Oceanmaster's swing, and after that, it would be easier for his opponent to disarm Aquaman.

PS: didn't want to make a blanket statement so... it would be more accurate to say that there are potentially hundreds of styles of FMA, some utilizing more weapons such as the long staff and the tabak-toyok (Filipino nunchaku, apparently taught to Bruce Lee by Dan Inosanto)

Doom_Phd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Doom_Phd

@almightyamortal said:

I am assuming you meant Bo Staff, I don't see how using a that is remotely similar to using a trident in battle. Apples to oranges.

And of course it will look like a video game they are fighting underwater as super humans...

AlmightyAmortal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By AlmightyAmortal

@doom_phd:

Of course there are differences. But to say that they are completely separate, could be the same as saying that thrusts and slash attacks, found in staff techniques are ineffective when using a trident... when the truth is that the strikes are more dangerous to the opponent because of the difference between the two weapons. Are you saying that thrusting a trident to an opponent's head or torso is an example of poor technique? Or is slashing a leg with the trident and striking it with a staff, both I would say have similar movements to each other, drastically different, in terms of technique?

Note how I never claimed to be an expert, but only stated the similarities I found in the scene to what i learned from various styles, which for the most part, weren't the strikes themselves.... e.g., footwork, flow/fluidity, gauging distance of opponent, and how they actually held the tridents. I would say these aspects of fighting, can be useful whether your using a trident or a staff.

Doom_Phd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@doom_phd:

Of course there are differences. But to say that they are completely separate, could be the same as saying that thrusts and slash attacks, found in staff techniques are ineffective when using a trident... when the truth is that the strikes are more dangerous to the opponent because of the difference between the two weapons. Are you saying that thrusting a trident to an opponent's head or torso is an example of poor technique? Or is slashing a leg with the trident and striking it with a staff, both I would say have similar movements to each other, drastically different, in terms of technique?

Note how I never claimed to be an expert, but only stated the similarities I found in the scene to what i learned from various styles, which for the most part, weren't the strikes themselves.... e.g., footwork, flow/fluidity, gauging distance of opponent, and how they actually held the tridents. I would say these aspects of fighting, can be useful whether your using a trident or a staff.

There should be a significant difference between the two for example like fencing vs using broad sword. I have no doubt the body movements would be similar but the tactics between the two should be different as I would figure a direct hit with a staff will be far less damaging than a direct hit from a trident.

AlmightyAmortal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@doom_phd said:
@almightyamortal said:

@doom_phd:

There should be a significant difference between the two for example like fencing vs using broad sword. I have no doubt the body movements would be similar but the tactics between the two should be different as I would figure a direct hit with a staff will be far less damaging than a direct hit from a trident.

So... we agree? Movements are similar and that the strikes are deadlier with the use of the trident. I don't see where we disagree. My objective was to say that, through observing their movements, Oceanmaster's experience in using the weapon is not to be underestimated. I never brought up 'tactics' specifically... only that Oceanmaster, through targeting the more vulnerable parts of the body, has shown that he has at least used the weapon before. As for applications for the different weapons, they are undeniably different, with the prongs of the trident offering the user a variety of more lethal options. - I never stated otherwise.

kgb725

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's got that ugly Justice league cgi on it

phillip33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers