• 121 results
#101 Posted by MICKEY-MOUSE (36609 posts) - - Show Bio

@jashro44: I meant SS. My bad. In terms of actual profits after all the hype and hoopla Batman v Superman made Antman money...that’s pathetic for two Icons like Batman & Superman.

Link and facts.

https://www.comicbookmovie.com/batman_vs_superman/batman-v-superman-final-profits-tallied-how-much-did-it-really-earn-a149858

In the end, the film grossed $873m at the Worldwide box office, of which WB will pocket $367m. (The rest going to the theaters that showed the film.) Additionally, they calculate that the film earned WB another $314m in Home Entertainment and Television Revenue. This brings the film a Total Revenue amount of $681m for the studio.

However, that's just half the story... there are the costs to subtract. The film carried a Production Cost of $250m, and another $157m was spent on Prints and Advertising. Add in the $46m in Video release costs, and another $122m in assorted Participation Fees to the actors, producers and directors who had a share of the profits, Interest and Overhead costs, and you get a Total Cost amount of $575m.

Deducting that total cost from the total revenue, we find that the film ultimately earned $105m for Warner Bros.

(Check out the full breakdown of the numbers at the source.)

Here's how that amount would compare with the profits from recent Superhero films calculated by the folks at Deadline:

Iron Man 3 - $391.8m

Avengers Age of Ultron - $382.3m

Guardians of the Galaxy - $204.2m

Big Hero 6 - $187.3m

Captain America: The Winter Soldier - $166.2m

Thor The Dark World - $139.4m

Batman V. Superman - $105m

Ant-Man - $103.9m

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles - $81.31m

X-men Days of Future Past - $77.4m

The Amazing Spider-Man 2 - $70.4m

Man of Steel - $42.7m

So in the end, Batman V. Superman just edged out Marvel's Ant-Man, and earned less for its studio than Thor: The Dark World. Suicide Squad is sure to show up in Deadline's tournament and hasn't yet, suggesting that it was ultimately more profitable for Warner Bros. than Snyder's epic vs. film. How much more, and where will the other Super-hero film of 2016 come in? We'll have to wait and see...

#102 Posted by MonsterStomp (36709 posts) - - Show Bio

@wakel said:

@adamtrmm: Yes. Iron Man 3 was also shit.

Nah, Iron Man 3 was gangster. The only thing that pissed fans off was the twist on the Mandarin.

#103 Posted by deltahuman (4969 posts) - - Show Bio

@adamtrmm said:

I'd take Snyder's cancer over obesity caused by junk food from Mickey each day every week. Better have a glorious disaster than safe ass mediocrity.

My Man

#104 Posted by Wakel (826 posts) - - Show Bio
#105 Edited by adamTRMM (8996 posts) - - Show Bio

@monsterstomp:

Learning history of that twist makes me hate that flick even more. It's right in lines with why Ancient One was white woman and not a Tibetan old man.

On its own, it's a low key blockbuster with some concepts that were too good for this forgettable filler flick to deliver.

@deltahuman:

Brofist.

@mickey-mouse:

Getting the narrative be driven by rabid internet trolls/fanboys was the main factor the DCEU informational tide got out of hand. The formula of success includes place and time, and half of that wasn't on their side already. Another aspect is confidence. Showing weakness was never part of the MCU. They never apologized for First Avengers or TIH. They simply moved on with the vision. And that aspect of them I find admirable. The business structure they have is nigh perfect. It's the creative process that is not. Still they have a vision and they are not ashamed of it. That's what DCEU has always lacked. If they were smart their PR team would simply override that narrative to make things seem the way they want you to think they are. And when you express regret publicly you lose the confidence aspect and when you allow others make the publication without any control you lose even more crucial enterprise, you lose the leadership of that narrative. And we all know what narrative towards DCEU was in the geek circles when it comes to publicity. Why is that important? Because people who know how MCU began know there were lots of controversial publications towards them, how many do you think remember them? How many fans actually liked Iron Man 3, commercial and critical success, that came right after Avengers? Point is, if they would've backed Snyder and his vision, everything could've been different. Decisive? I despise Ragnarok, and if you'll browse the internet you'll find there are people who also did. There people who said MoS made them believe Superman can work in live action, which was a feat of its own,attracting new fans. There are all kinds of people and pretending detractors are the only ones is stupid. There's no universally loved things, this mentality is ridiculous. The Snyder cut petition as silly as it is assembled 250K or something people. Alienating those fans and apologizing for something that they like is imbecilic. Simply bad business. And just like that, all of a sudden 'Snyder is cancer' instead of a visionary that these shiters hired to do exactly what he did.

About the profits, SS had also bigger return ratio than Civil War. We can make play with the numbers all day too.

Edit. Also about the icons, first Thor flick made more than first Superman/Batman flicks in years. Another narrative that needs to stop.

#106 Posted by MICKEY-MOUSE (36609 posts) - - Show Bio

@adamtrmm: I believe you were just expressing a different viewpoint, allow me to end it on this note.

“About the profits, SS had also bigger return ratio than Civil War. We can make play with the numbers all day too.“

Not understanding your point on this one. I already mentioned SS was successful. That was my entire point all the non Synder films had a great Profit Margin. So...

Also Synder was considered Cancer Long Before The DCEU. Sucker Punch is when he pissed people off. His 2 successes were 300 and Dawn of The Dead. The film community and fans were excited about him until that crap shoot of a movie filled with misogyny and too much slow mo.

Popular entertainment is what people consider universally beloved. If a strong majority of paying customers give a product a high rating, then that’s what it is.

The problem with Synder is he would often aim for high art like in Sucker Punch and Batman v Superman and he would often miss the mark.(This is my opinion of course).

#107 Edited by Unusedusername (60 posts) - - Show Bio

I think the problem with Snyder's movies is that audiences aren't ready for them (yet). I walked out of Man of Steel and I was surprised that people were mad at Zod's death and the destruction and was surprised after BvS that people were mocking the Martha scene (for one I thought made a whole lot of sense thematically). People weren't ready for deconstructions of their childhood heroes and it still shows today.

#108 Posted by adamTRMM (8996 posts) - - Show Bio

@mickey-mouse:

I mentioned SS' ratio as opposed to even a movie that is considered successful that isn't Snyder's. It returned more money than Civil War when compared to its budget/marketing. So I could make an argument that it's a better investment than other successful movies if I wanted to. I'm aware that Snyder's flicks aren't the best profit in DCEU and that BvS drops were super unhealthy, but those numbers aren't all there is. Establishing fanbase isn't so easy.

I never watched SP in theater and watched the DC at home and I found the flick pretty damn good. Mind bending movies are tough sell to the general audience and I can give you an impressive list of flicks of the same subgenre that were also panned so that's not surprising. But hey it's the same panners that wanked Last Jedies and Mandy so you will excuse my mockery of them. Accusing it of misogyny is a bad joke that seems like one of those lazy noncriticisms than actual one showing inability to properly analyze the subject. Like, it ends with a liberated woman. I mean, lol. The film community on the internet had different opinions on it. Like you know on everything else. And I have the benefit of reading on more than 2 languages to judge. See, from what I can tell, his DCs always deliver, be it Watchmen, BvS and yes SP, but he fails to convince his producers to sell his product in its perfect form which as of now almost destroyed him as brand. Makes him a shitty businessman, not a shitty creator.

Most of the audience don't even rate, nor are they asked about the expirience. Self appointed enthusiasts do via internet and other social platforms, which many times will distort the perception of actual reality. Inet community likes to make fun of F&F and Transformers franchise, and we all know what numbers they are bringing. Transformers, the most homogeneous and stagnant series wouldn't fail until after fourth flick, and still made some money. Expecting Hobbs and Shaw to make crazy bank too. Bumblebee though always seemed like a flick no one asked for and it's showing.

Snyder tries to blend high art with pop and it seems to anger the purists on either side. Few people rate him without extremes, kinda suggestive. I find that admirable because it's pretty unique... And thankless. But that's what I want to see in a creator - originality. Not some overdone conviction to formulas.

#109 Posted by MICKEY-MOUSE (36609 posts) - - Show Bio

@adamtrmm: SP had a young girl fantasize being a prostitute as her dream job. Liberated with a lobotomy?

“Most of the audience don't even rate, nor are they asked about the expirience.”

CinemaScore is what the Studios go by. It’s a standard sampling of the audience opening weekend.

Synder’s primary job is to make a successful box office release.

SS was considered successful by everyone. I don’t fully grasp what contrasting point your’re attempting to make. Civil War made more money than Synder too so the fact SS made more than CW doesn’t help Synder’s case. It only drives the point home the franchise is more healthy without him. Other than Nolan, and a few of the Xmen films no high art block buster attempt has been successful in quite awhile. The fact that he continually tries to make high art in the face of audiences clearly wanting fun films only once again drives the point home: he is a cancer to the fanbase. The fact that you admit he is a poor business also is a nail in the coffin for Synder. He and his Wife were producers on MOS, Batman v Supes, And JL. Being a businessman and helping promote and market the film is part of his job as a producer. He failed. He has to own that failure. Pre JL he and his wife had a lot of control of the DCEU. He picked Superman, Batman, Flash, WW, And Cyborg...as well as Aquaman. Hell he even crafted a lot of the marketing material including the special Batman v Supes handbook that was used to promote the film. Synder’s fingerprints are all over the murder weapon that almost caused the death of the DCEU.

#110 Posted by Renny (3182 posts) - - Show Bio

@arranvid said:

I think it sucks how the original, Namor, who also happens to be the first superhuman character to fly is kicked to the curb yet his ripoff Aquaman gets all this praise smh. Also yeah I know that Namor is based on Poseidon/Neptune but Namor made it to comics first.

It's kind of like Deadpool's treatment over Deathstroke.

#111 Posted by MICKEY-MOUSE (36609 posts) - - Show Bio

@adamtrmm: You know what burns me up the most about Synder is he a technically sound filmmaker. He knows the ins and outs of the business, but he pushed way to hard with a direction the characters and film that after MOS he had to clearly know the audience didn’t want. Much in the same way Spike Lee knows the GA doesn’t love jazz music as much as he does, but he forces it down our throats anyway. Synder has writing and producing credits on WW so it’s not like he can’t put together a solid crowd pleaser. He just refused to after MOS into Batman v Superman. Much of Batman v Superman is a defense of MOS. Then botched it with JL and was replaced with Whedon.

Avatar image for theamazingspidey
#112 Posted by TheAmazingSpidey (17508 posts) - - Show Bio

I think the problem with Snyder's movies is that audiences aren't ready for them (yet). I walked out of Man of Steel and I was surprised that people were mad at Zod's death and the destruction and was surprised after BvS that people were mocking the Martha scene (for one I thought made a whole lot of sense thematically). People weren't ready for deconstructions of their childhood heroes and it still shows today.

Are you sure that's the case? Because I do remember people loving The Dark Knight and Logan, both of which are deconstructions of childhood heroes.

Avatar image for lone_wolf_and_cub
#113 Posted by Lone_Wolf_and_Cub (9006 posts) - - Show Bio

Wow Sucker Punch is high art now? 🤣🤣 My god the lengths people go to to try and support Zack Synder. Another misunderstood masterpiece...

#114 Edited by Mike_Fowler (4966 posts) - - Show Bio

@mickey-mouse: he’s probably the first person I’ve ever seen try to defend sucker punch

I mean, there’s some good aspects to that movie, but I’m not gonna try to claim that the critics didn’t have a point about it

#115 Posted by Chimeroid (9235 posts) - - Show Bio

@mickey-mouse: he’s probably the first person I’ve ever seen try to defend sucker punch

Defending or not, there is a lot of depth to Sucker Punch. It is truly a messed up movie.

#116 Posted by Yassassin (7643 posts) - - Show Bio

If Aquaman can make a billion, give me my Animal Man movie immediately.

#117 Posted by adamTRMM (8996 posts) - - Show Bio

@mickey-mouse:

SP had a young girl fantasize being a prostitute as her dream job. Liberated with a lobotomy?

No, that's how she perceived the exploitation of the girls inside of that mental facility. There's the objective reality, and there's imaginary ones. Everything else is up to discussion.

I was talking about the girl whom Browning's char helped to escape. She was a victim, yet with the help of her noncompliance the criminals are getting their due, eventually.

So again, what misogyny?

CinemaScore is what the Studios go by. It’s a standard sampling of the audience opening weekend.

Thar's like just super narrow. I've never been asked about my experience by the way, not even in the OW. Guess it is also strictly US thing, making it even narrower.

Synder’s primary job is to make a successful box office release.

There are a plethora of extremely talented directors (can provide a list) that fail in BO and ratings. I guess that explains why overhyped mediocrity rules the theaters and scores now. Of course there are outliers, but they are exactly that. The rules are just strange now.

BO=/=actual quality.

SS was considered successful by everyone. I don’t fully grasp what contrasting point your’re attempting to make. Civil War made more money than Synder too so the fact SS made more than CW doesn’t help Synder’s case. It only drives the point home the franchise is more healthy without him. Other than Nolan, and a few of the Xmen films no high art block buster attempt has been successful in quite awhile. The fact that he continually tries to make high art in the face of audiences clearly wanting fun films only once again drives the point home: he is a cancer to the fanbase. The fact that you admit he is a poor business also is a nail in the coffin for Synder. He and his Wife were producers on MOS, Batman v Supes, And JL. Being a businessman and helping promote and market the film is part of his job as a producer. He failed. He has to own that failure. Pre JL he and his wife had a lot of control of the DCEU. He picked Superman, Batman, Flash, WW, And Cyborg...as well as Aquaman. Hell he even crafted a lot of the marketing material including the special Batman v Supes handbook that was used to promote the film. Synder’s fingerprints are all over the murder weapon that almost caused the death of the DCEU.

You know what burns me up the most about Synder is he a technically sound filmmaker. He knows the ins and outs of the business, but he pushed way to hard with a direction the characters and film that after MOS he had to clearly know the audience didn’t want. Much in the same way Spike Lee knows the GA doesn’t love jazz music as much as he does, but he forces it down our throats anyway. Synder has writing and producing credits on WW so it’s not like he can’t put together a solid crowd pleaser. He just refused to after MOS into Batman v Superman. Much of Batman v Superman is a defense of MOS. Then botched it with JL and was replaced with Whedon.

The point was juxtaposing the numbers could be tricky. You simply did to make a case against Snyder, I brought an additional perspective. This is true about Nolan, he's the breakout of artistic cinema conquering BO as well. But he established a super loyal and apparently huge fanbase after TDK was made an event movie b/c of Ledger's death. THAT made him one. Just look at how well he did at BO before that.

And that's the fallacy right here, the fanbase doesn't have some hivemind to appeal to. GA=/=fanbase as well. And GA is easily attracted to good marketing. For example, I have a theory MoS could be big in Japan if they'd advertise its anime-esque action in there. Ok, Japan doesn't bring the same numbers like China, but for China there could've more widely action/CGI oriented marketing too. And then, there would've been a larger GA appeal in general. That is why I call DCEU a productional mess, it took them quite a time to start getting things figured.

Like I said, I agree he's a terrible businessman and yes, he failed. If there's a thing he needs to prop up is that... and diversify his creative moodiness, he has to compromise a little, just like Nolan does. But things could've been different talking about DCEU if only that machine was functioning differently, I keep saying.

Lol, he let's not pretend BvS didn't generate interest, and that was after MoS. Also, people need to stop pretending like MoS is a widely disliked movie. It's Cinimascore is A-, it's IMDB rating is around most "crowd pleasers" of MCU and it was a huge step up in BO when compared to Superman Returns. JL, the Snyder's way, could've generated just as much interest as arguably, IF it would've been Snyder's and would've actually looked original and not like a generic superhero teamup. Originally, it was supposed to be a superhero disaster movie. But hey, RT consensus deemed the frankenstein's JL we've got to be the move in the right direction, so what do I know.

#118 Posted by adamTRMM (8996 posts) - - Show Bio

he’s probably the first person I’ve ever seen try to defend sucker punch

I mean, there’s some good aspects to that movie, but I’m not gonna try to claim that the critics didn’t have a point about it

The most obvious, kust skim through the IMDB reviews and be enlightened.

Critics had a point about Revolver, Blade Runner and Stay too?

#119 Posted by Mike_Fowler (4966 posts) - - Show Bio

@adamtrmm: in some areas, yes, I’d say that they did

#120 Edited by adamTRMM (8996 posts) - - Show Bio

@mike_fowler:

Each and every single one of these has more artistic value to it than the repitative and formulaic blockbuster junk they give positive feedback to. Sure it had less pop corn consumers watching it in front of the big screen, but how is that determining the artistic quality exactly?

#121 Posted by ArranVid (1829 posts) - - Show Bio
@renny said:
@arranvid said:

I think it sucks how the original, Namor, who also happens to be the first superhuman character to fly is kicked to the curb yet his ripoff Aquaman gets all this praise smh. Also yeah I know that Namor is based on Poseidon/Neptune but Namor made it to comics first.

EXACTLY, my friend

#122 Posted by Jacthripper (14895 posts) - - Show Bio

@arranvid said:
@renny said:
@arranvid said:

EXACTLY, my friend

Not quite. Deadpool was created as an intentional parody/joke character based in part off of Deathstroke. He has always existed as more of a comedic element than a storyline mover in the comics. Because his comics are so different than Deathstroke's comics, he isn't competing against him in that way. Aquaman and Namor is a very different situation, because Namor was created and had success, so Aquaman was created as the not quite a copy by DC comics in order to provide competition so they didn't lose out. In the end, Aquaman ended up more popular or at the very least recognized by the majority of people, while Namor has been a backseat/antagonistic/neutral character for a long time. When's the last time you sat down and read a Namor comic? Aquaman got his due with this movie, after years of being a joke.