• 120 results
#1 Posted by Frozen (21085 posts) - - Show Bio
#2 Posted by adamTRMM (8743 posts) - - Show Bio

There are some distinct people who are now very silent and it's quite amusing :)

#3 Posted by Magian (150428 posts) - - Show Bio

Doubt many were expecting this back then.

Avatar image for theamazingspidey
#4 Posted by TheAmazingSpidey (17215 posts) - - Show Bio

I did not expect this. I expected 400 million worldwide.

Avatar image for life_without_progress
#5 Posted by Life_Without_Progress (23348 posts) - - Show Bio

Damn.

#6 Edited by Frozen (21085 posts) - - Show Bio

@theamazingspidey said:

It is most likely going to surpass The Dark Knight and The Dark Knight Rises for highest grossing DC film.

Edit: In fact it has actually surpassed TDKR's overseas box office.

#7 Posted by Frozen (21085 posts) - - Show Bio

It's got a good chance of beating Civil War overseas box-office numbers and has already beaten Black Panther's...

#8 Posted by RabumAlal (4747 posts) - - Show Bio

They finally figured it out, make it basic af and “fun” with loads of fx, guaranteed to make money. Movie was trash imo.

#9 Edited by TheAmazingSpidey (17215 posts) - - Show Bio

@frozen said:
@theamazingspidey said:

It is most likely going to surpass The Dark Knight and The Dark Knight Rises for highest grossing DC film.

Edit: In fact it has actually surpassed TDKR's overseas box office.

Huge feat. I don't expect every DCEU movie to replicate this, but if Aquaman proves anything, it's that the DCEU can still make hugely succesful movies despite the reception to earlier movies.

Hopefully the "DCEU is dead narrative" can be laid to rest.

#10 Posted by Kevd4wg (11722 posts) - - Show Bio

Awesome, we'll get new DC movies now. Looking forward to Batman and WW1984

Avatar image for the_living_tribunal_24
#11 Posted by The_living_tribunal_24 (5493 posts) - - Show Bio

@adamtrmm said:

There are some distinct people who are now very silent and it's quite amusing :)

^^^

#12 Edited by Magian (150428 posts) - - Show Bio

@theamazingspidey said:

Still a bit too early really. One successful movie doesn't mean that the rest will be and do as good. The real challenge for DC now is to replicate this success.

#13 Posted by Frozen (21085 posts) - - Show Bio

@magian said:
@theamazingspidey said:

Still a bit too early really. One successful movie doesn't mean that the rest will be and do as good. The real challenge for DC now is to replicate this success.

Wonder Woman was also hugely successful.

#14 Edited by TheAmazingSpidey (17215 posts) - - Show Bio

@magian said:
@theamazingspidey said:

Of course. Aquaman was a huge success, but it was also a tremendous accomplishment and one I can see being hard to replicate.

The "DCEU is dead narrative" is more about the belief that the DCEU is beyond saving and there's no point in trying anymore. As AQM has shown, if they play their cards right, they can still find success.

#15 Posted by Mr_Shazam0920 (3208 posts) - - Show Bio

Marvel better step their game up!

#16 Posted by TheAmazingSpidey (17215 posts) - - Show Bio

@frozen said:
@magian said:
@theamazingspidey said:

Yup. Wonder Woman was an even bigger success domestically.

#17 Posted by Supermanthor (10270 posts) - - Show Bio

Marvel better step their game up!

I THINK THEY ARE DOING IT SECRETLY

#18 Edited by adamTRMM (8743 posts) - - Show Bio

@magian:

This is really interesting. Even a productional junk like JL made money, and if it weren't for overblown, out of control budget, could also end up being profitable. As of now, GA prove time after time they love watching CBMs in theater. Marvel or DC. Some have better WoM, some not, still, lots go to check out for themselves. That mentality that DCEU is dying has always been bread and butter of none but click bait cultivating low grade geek journalists and bloggers because it attracted fanboy wars and clicks for their crappy content. Remove that factor, judge it on its own and you'll see that DCEU, even with the failure of JL, still made more money than MCU with their first phase, and with Aquaman after JL, just like with WW after SS and BvS, they prove they get up as easily. And if you leave the critics, who I'm glad with Venom and Aquaman return to their irrelevance in these discussions, the picture will be completely changed. Aquaman has critical numbers close to those of Man of Steel. Gross numbers though, something else entirely. Their numbers simply mean shit.

Avatar image for ready_4_madness
#19 Posted by Ready_4_Madness (14266 posts) - - Show Bio

The fact that Aquaman can reach a billion on his first release even after the tragic release of JL, shows how big DC is and can be. If they play their cards right who knows what they can achieve.

Avatar image for supermanforever
#20 Posted by Supermanforever (7512 posts) - - Show Bio

@frozen said:
@magian said:
@theamazingspidey said:

No dceu movie aside from JL was actually a flop. They all did decent amount of money. Aquaman just outperformed the rest in China.

If China had the same numbers for other movies. WW, BVS, Suicide squad would gross billion dollar. Jl and MOS would not, but would be pretty close.

Its good result for aquaman though, granted more movies :D

#21 Posted by TheAmazingSpidey (17215 posts) - - Show Bio

@theamazingspidey said:
@frozen said:
@magian said:
@theamazingspidey said:

No dceu movie aside from JL was actually a flop. They all did decent amount of money. Aquaman just outperformed the rest in China.

If China had the same numbers for other movies. WW, BVS, Suicide squad would gross billion dollar. Jl and MOS would not, but would be pretty close.

Its good result for aquaman though, granted more movies :D

Agreed. Suicide Squad, Wonder Woman and Aquaman are all huge successes and Man of Steel did pretty good. Though there's no denying BvS was a tremendous underperformance. Still can't believe that movie didn't reach a billion.

#22 Posted by Supermanthor (10270 posts) - - Show Bio

My question is in terms actual storytelling is this one up there with tws tdk and Logan ?

Visual wise it's really great

#23 Posted by Mr_Shazam0920 (3208 posts) - - Show Bio

@supermanthor:

It isn’t the same quality narrative as those mentioned but damn was it a visual spectacle.

#24 Posted by Supermanthor (10270 posts) - - Show Bio
#25 Posted by Omega_kai (3072 posts) - - Show Bio

They finally figured it out, make it basic af and “fun” with loads of fx, guaranteed to make money. Movie was trash imo.

Lol

#26 Posted by mrmonster (13572 posts) - - Show Bio

The DCEU has a bright future ahead of it, that's for sure.

#27 Posted by phisigmatau (976 posts) - - Show Bio

next, The REAL Captain Marvel- SHAZAM

Avatar image for fullmetalemprah
#28 Posted by FullMetalEmprah (3340 posts) - - Show Bio

Yeah I have to admit I thought it would do decent but I didn't think it would be this popular, glad to see Aquaman finally get some attention! The one I'm looking forward to is Shazam though, I hope it does just as well.

#29 Posted by Amcu (15419 posts) - - Show Bio

I didn't love the movie but it has performed phenomenally box office wise and I'm glad that DC is having some success.

#30 Posted by tensor (8354 posts) - - Show Bio

Enjoyed the Movie. It was a nice ride.

I expected 600 -700 million.

#31 Posted by Galactic_1000 (5114 posts) - - Show Bio

Well People watch it because They have faith in Wan.

#32 Posted by Emperorb777 (10809 posts) - - Show Bio

DC was never going anywhere to begin with, Warner Bros said awhile back that they don't care about individual success for films but the total amount they make for all of their film releases. With a 1.2 billion dollar budget DCEU has made 4.7 billion dollars and WB is happy about that.

#33 Posted by jashro44 (51777 posts) - - Show Bio

Its kind of crazy to think Aquaman of all characters is the one that did this. I think this proves that people just want originality.

#34 Posted by TonyMartial (7869 posts) - - Show Bio

@amcu said:

I didn't love the movie but it has performed phenomenally box office wise and I'm glad that DC is having some success.

Its final gross is predicted to be 1.1/1.2b, not far away from The Last Jedi or Black Panther at all.

#35 Posted by Amcu (15419 posts) - - Show Bio

@amcu said:

Its final gross is predicted to be 1.1/1.2b, not far away from The Last Jedi or Black Panther at all.

True.

#36 Posted by ArranVid (1829 posts) - - Show Bio

I think it sucks how the original, Namor, who also happens to be the first superhuman character to fly is kicked to the curb yet his ripoff Aquaman gets all this praise smh. Also yeah I know that Namor is based on Poseidon/Neptune but Namor made it to comics first.

Avatar image for buttersdaman000
#37 Posted by buttersdaman000 (22447 posts) - - Show Bio

Pretty much, but I liked Aquaman.

I don't think we'll have more thoughtful, or serious CBM's ever again, especially since Fox is now Disney.

#38 Posted by modernww2fare (6876 posts) - - Show Bio

Awesome

#39 Posted by Vertigo- (17492 posts) - - Show Bio

Movie wasn't great or anything, but the visuals were phenomenal. Plot was generic, Manta was wasted entirely, Mamoa and Heard had no real chemistry, but Dafoe & Kidman were great.

Good on it for making so much money, now if only they didn't have Aquaman try and crack such lame jokes

#40 Posted by Blackdog2009 (3606 posts) - - Show Bio

@mr_shazam0920: how about both keep doing great movies … instead of the constant divisive thinking.

#41 Posted by Mr_Shazam0920 (3208 posts) - - Show Bio

@blackdog2009: I’m not being divisive.

I’m just saying if you’re on top you can never get too comfortable because DC is a powerhouse waiting to happen.

#42 Edited by foxerdes (9778 posts) - - Show Bio

It could have been better, but it brings to the table a sense of wonder and a wonderful visuals. Add the nut-cracking third act and you get a block buster that actually deserves to get that billion.

#43 Posted by KanyeCosby (6601 posts) - - Show Bio

Glad DC is finally having some success, but the movie wasn’t great. I hope this doesn’t set a precedent for Warner bros to keep making mediocre movies in the hopes that it will do well overseas.

#44 Posted by darkonast (682 posts) - - Show Bio

@arranvid: well.... Namor is boring & has never been a large factor in media lol , the most famous knockoff is Mermaid Man from spongebob.... a copy of Aquaman lol

#45 Posted by Doom_Phd (1460 posts) - - Show Bio

Well it’s something new and did what the Thor movies failed to do as a comic book epic but that had the advantage of being in space.

If they can improve the world building and pacing, i can see Green Lantern corps being a huge success. I also hope Flash’s movie gets the green light now

#46 Posted by g2_ (11206 posts) - - Show Bio

Well deserved DC.

#47 Posted by Lvenger (36168 posts) - - Show Bio

I find it funny the state of the DCEU has essentially turned into this cover.

No Caption Provided

Whilst I didn't strongly dislike Aquaman, I did find it fairly average as far as comic book movies go. Very formulaic, predictable and I don't feel Mamoa's Aquabro portrayal of the character. Also they rushed a lot of stuff from Johns' run that could have been kept back for the sequel.

#48 Edited by Blackdog2009 (3606 posts) - - Show Bio

@mr_shazam0920 said:

@blackdog2009: I’m not being divisive.

I’m just saying if you’re on top you can never get too comfortable because DC is a powerhouse waiting to happen.

DC has ALWAYS been a powerhouse. You all just choose to ignore everything before MOS. How convenient that is. DC/WB has always broken ground with superhero movies. They did it first, always remember that. They've done shitty movies and excellent ones too. Go ahead, ignore the First Superman Movie, Batman 1989, The Nolan BAtman trilogy, Watchmen, Constantine, V For Vendetta. These are all diverse source material that WB has been using for decades!! Weather it's TV, Cinema and now even streaming … DC has ALWAYS been a powerhouse. How long were tv shows like Smallville on? Arrow? The Flash? In film Aquaman is just the latest proof.

Yes Marvel has overall been doing great with their Marvel universe movies but make no mistake, DC isn't a powerhouse "waiting to happen" … it is and always will be.

#49 Posted by Mr_Shazam0920 (3208 posts) - - Show Bio

@blackdog2009:

I’m not sure who you’re referring to when you say “you all”, as if I’m some new MCU fanboy.

I should have said “DCEU” or “WODC” instead of “DC”.

#50 Posted by jayc1324 (26283 posts) - - Show Bio

Awesome. Shazam looks like it is going to be more of the same. I think not having Zack Snyder is the key. Oh, and not having two different directors work on the same movie. DCEU was just ran poorly at first and Snyder was not the right guy for it. DCEU is alive.