Anyone get annoyed on loose use of 'bullet timer'?

Delta16807

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

People always seem to show examples of bullet fired, show next frame (often from different angle jump) on a show or movie. And without seeing the whole shot suddenly say "AHA! HE/SHE JUST DODGED A BULLET!". I have debunked a few of these in the past, not the least of which was Ajax from Deadpool not being a bullet timer (go frame by frame, and you can see the bullet instantly whiz past him in a simple miss, way faster than he was moving).

It seems to be all over the battles forums from time to time. Why can't bullet time simply be when people actually see the bullet, and the character moving and reacting to it, cutting it (like deadpool did with swords in Origins)? Or even realize reaction/attack speeds (when enhanced enough) are not the same as full bullet time as well?

It is so loosely used, largely meaningless more than half the time I see it brought up. I just find it kind of annoying, especially on the ones that are simple frame jumps, which should never count as 'bullet timing'.

Spambot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think the vast majority of the time people use that term its more just someone trying to dodge a bullet and being missed rather than being able to move out of the way of a bullet aimed at them between the time it was fired and when it would have hit them.

Delta16807

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Delta16807

@spambot:

I think that should be an anticipation and awareness feat, not so much lumped into an expression as 'bullet timing', where that in and of itself is often used to describe people who are faster than the bullets themselves (ie, quicksilver).

At least we should all find a consistent principle to use for it in definition, because as it is, it is misleading to many a posts.

Avatar image for firestormfate1919
FirestormFate1919

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

For me bullet-timing is anytime someone dodges the bullet after it leaves the gun. I usually use the term "Casual Bullet-Timer" for someone like Origins Deadpool or CW Vandal Savage, people who can actively and consistently outmove and block or dodge gunfire. For these types of people gunfire is literally no obstacle, whereas someone with just bullet-timing feats can still be threatened by it.

RabumAlal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I blame Neo.

Spambot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@delta16807: The thing is you don't need to be faster than bullets in order to dodge them. You just need to be fast enough that someone can't accurately shoot at you.

Delta16807

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Delta16807

@firestormfate1919:

My problem with that is, they don't dodge it after it leaves the gun most of the time I see it used. They anticipate it, move out of the way, and because of an angle switch, people can often think it was fired, and then they moved. Which is quite often, at least in many of these Hollywood street leveler ones, quite wrong.

But I do like your idea; 'casual bullet-timer', as it would solve some of the problem I am having with its usage. Two different terms.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a39421825b35
deactivated-5a39421825b35

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@spambot said:

@delta16807: The thing is you don't need to be faster than bullets in order to dodge them. You just need to be fast enough that someone can't accurately shoot at you.

That's aim dodging bra not bullet dodging.

Revan-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Revan-

Anyone get annoyed by whiners who do nothing but complain?

APEX_pretador

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

This, and also, irrelevant thread.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d9ffabf0f29f
deactivated-5d9ffabf0f29f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Revan-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Revan-

@king_krown: I'm not the one who wrote a 3 paragraphs, crying.

AlphaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@revan2424 said:

This, and also, irrelevant thread.

Aren't they all?

those_eyes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Op has a point.

RBT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If you are claiming something as big as bullet timing, you gotta show the shooter and the target in same shot. No cut scenes.

Delta16807

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@king_krown: I'm not the one who wrote a 3 paragraphs, crying.

You misunderstand me. I have written more paragraphs for things even stupider, but I LIKE writing. Ranting is in my MO. But I am not whining. I decided after seeing it enough, it warranted a broadcast and a conversation; albeit by my normal ranty ways.

For a guy who battles the SJWs and their ilk on many platforms of social media as an active hobby - I have learned to have tougher skin than that :). People are entitled to be wrong, it is facepalm worthy - but why would I feel bad? Why would I 'whine'? Unless just bringing up the conversation is whining? Because I don't think you have the right definition :)

Delta16807

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rbt said:

If you are claiming something as big as bullet timing, you gotta show the shooter and the target in same shot. No cut scenes.

Thank you. This is exactly how I have been feeling.

Yassassin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I don't consider anything bullet timing unless I explicitly see the target moves act after the bullet's been fired.