#1 Edited by BatmanPlusJay (4192 posts) - - Show Bio

Comics, as far as I know(I don't read comics much so tell me if I'm wrong), have a bunch of different stories/timelines. For example if I were to read a Batman story, then move on to read another Batman story(let's assume they're both canon), there's a good chance both of those stories have absolutely nothing to do with each other and probably happens in some different universe. I got that idea from that one time Batman took out the entire JLA when he first met them a long time ago, but I don't think that actually ever happened. Batman right now in Batman new 52 I doubt could be able to go to Superman and say "lololol remember when I whooped everyone in the JLA when we first met?" Cause I think maybe that was just a mini story. Manga is a long continuous story and it's easier to keep up with.

Like I said I don't read comics but they're weird to me, let me stress that I'm basing this off of small things I've seen without context. Maybe I'm completely wrong and they're exactly like manga. But idk.

#2 Posted by BatmanPlusJay (4192 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm ignorant when it comes to how comics work, which I why I don't know where to start or how to get into them without losing interest. I've seen a panel of Batman calling himself a God while he was sitting on a throne but yet again I feel like that's a mini story compared to what's actually happening in this new 52 story rn.

#3 Posted by ValorKnight (12412 posts) - - Show Bio

I enjoy some comics a lot (Invincible, Harbingers, Divinity, etcetera), but I enjoy manga on a much larger scale.

#4 Posted by huthimamwa (2544 posts) - - Show Bio

Arent there like...2 other threads like this going on right now?

Avatar image for simon_the_digger
#5 Posted by Simon_the_digger (7054 posts) - - Show Bio

Lots do and vice versa.

#6 Posted by King-Ragnar (4131 posts) - - Show Bio

This is completely subjective.

#7 Posted by Reactor (4385 posts) - - Show Bio

Totally subjective. Personally I find the majority of manga to be corny, repetitive, unoriginal and painfully predictable. And no, I'm not just referring to the shonen genre. Those elements can easily be forgivable if the execution is done well, but I find that it seldom is, at least to my tastes. I generally enjoy comics much more

#8 Posted by StormShadow_X (16766 posts) - - Show Bio
Avatar image for handofprometheus
#9 Posted by HandOfPrometheus (882 posts) - - Show Bio

I enjoyed manga more than comics from elementary school up till high school. Now its switched. I enjoy comics more.

#10 Posted by AngryHulks (3761 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't think the overall quality can be generalized. Probably just me, but the more "mainstream" something is, the more likely it is to be bad, both manga and comics.

While I made a distinction between manga and comics, deep inside however, I don't like that. I grew up reading manga and where I was originally from, it's basically just referred to as "comics," nobody really say manga there.

#11 Edited by Sungsam (3209 posts) - - Show Bio

Some manga are good, some are not.

Some comics are good, some are not.

It's that simple.

Good writing, characters, art and story and plot recognize exclusivity to NO media, and neither does poor writing.

#12 Posted by slimj87d (15680 posts) - - Show Bio

There are comics that tell a long linear story just like a Manga.

Manga and comics are the same thing for different audiences. There are different types of both.

You can have ongoing series that have different story arcs handled by different writers or have a swries written by just one writer just like a Manga.

Fables

Saga

Kill or be killed

Paper girl

Etc

I liked to not be ignorant and enjoy different types of literature.

Obviously Manga and comics are similar because they're different.

#13 Posted by thatduderox (996 posts) - - Show Bio

It's all subjective, but you're not the only one put off by how convoluted comic books are. Most people who want to get into comics have no clue where to start, what's canon and what's not, what titles to begin at, etc. it gives off the notion that to pick up a random comic book, you have to know the 40+ years of continuity that comes with it. With a little research, you can actually find pretty good jumping off points, but most people aren't even going to do that, so they would rather not bother. Mangas appeal has always been that its one continuing story written by one author. As dense as One Piece is, most people find it easier to get into than a series that's been around for multiple decades, with multiple titles.

#15 Posted by BatmanPlusJay (4192 posts) - - Show Bio

@king-ragnar: I know it's subjective. It's why I asked if anyone found manga better than comics.

#16 Posted by bdelloidgrain2 (1988 posts) - - Show Bio

@sungsam said:

It's that simple.

Good writing, characters, art and story and plot recognize exclusivity to NO media, and neither does poor writing.

This. It depends on the manga and it depends on the comic.

Avatar image for life_without_progress
#17 Posted by Life_Without_Progress (24625 posts) - - Show Bio

@sungsam said:

It's that simple.

Word.

#18 Posted by Fabricolage (1955 posts) - - Show Bio