Anyone else dropping Uncanny Avengers?

Extremis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

User Lists: 55

Anyone here who already dropped the title or plan on it? Im interested to hear what kept people around or conversely led to them dropping the series. Just finished issue 8 and besides a sligt high point with issue #6, there is little to no enjoyment for me with this title. I really tried to stick it out and give it a fair shot but its just not for me. I don't hate Remender (actually really enjoy Captain America) but the prose narration is bothersome and I really don't enjoy/understand this team up besides a need for mutant-human unity which is a premise I really don't care for. Marvel NOW has so many great solo titles but im not liking their team books thus far.

Anyway, I'm dropping this title. Need room for the new GL titles coming out next month :)

Avatar image for v_scarlotte_rose
V_Scarlotte_Rose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 2

I really liked the first five issues, #6 wasn't my kind of thing, and #7-8 have been alright. I'm sticking with it for now.

Dayvid3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By Dayvid3

Only interested for the Apocalypse stuff. When that's over I probably won't give a damn

Avatar image for fuchsia_nightingale
Fuchsia_Nightingale

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -1

Nope

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#5 the_stegman  Moderator

I'm not buying it in the first place. My friend subscribes and forces it on me.

Extremis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@v_scarlotte_rose: yeah I liked the Red Skull stuff but now evrrytime I show up at my comic shop and UA is there waiting for me i die a little inside because I know I have to read it now. No more!

V_Scarlotte_Rose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@extremis: Is it really so bad? Any idea what you dislike so much about it?

Chronus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Chronus

@dayvid3 said:

Only interested for the Apocalypse stuff. When that's over I probably won't give a damn

That's why I'm even purchasing the issues.

Extremis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@v_scarlotte_rose: well as I've said, the prose narration is unnecessary and just feels out of place, the Cassaday art was SO disappoiting and I just don't like the premise of them being role models. it bores me.

Dayvid3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@chronus said:

@dayvid3 said:

That's why I'm even purchasing the issues.

Yay, another poccy fan

Havenless

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Havenless

Is this the only title Havok is being featured in? He's like Marvel's whipping boy:

"How can we utilize Havok as little as possible?"

"Let's give him bad writers and bad artists, then we'll make him leader of the Avengers just to rub it in."

Avatar image for deactivated-5d2b83d5a0d79
deactivated-5d2b83d5a0d79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It intrigued me, then I read that the Red Skull would be a villain so I picked it up. Liked all the issues with the Skull. The following ones are all over the place in terms of quality. I'll keep reading into it though (most likely) since this is the series that brought me back into comics after a long break. Also this series made me like Havok even more.

Polarity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Is this the only title Havok is being featured in? He's like Marvel's whipping boy:

"How can we utilize Havok as little as possible?"

"Let's give him bad writers and bad artists, then we'll make him leader of the Avengers just to rub it in."

Remender is pretty good with plots and action sequences, but not only is everyone in this book OOC, they're practically all bipolar given how their characterization shifts from issue to issue. Plus most of the women act like complete children.

Havok is one of the biggest examples of misused/mistreated x-characters of the past decade plus (possibly longer than that), a list that includes Storm, Nightcrawler, Jean Grey, Polaris and a host of others.

Shadow_13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

What should replace Captain America, Thor, and Wolverine is specifically I would like to see as an Uncanny Avenger is Hercules or Ares to replace Thor. Reason is this is because if Havok wants a God in the group, then get Hercules. Also since bringing back Sentry is an option why not bring Ares back.

In replacing Wolverine would obviously be the brother of Scarlet Witch is Quicksilver, the twins got to stay together somehow right?

I have been giving a thought in switching Captain Americas place for some other next right hand reliable person. I would give D-man (Demolition man) a second or next chance just like WonderMan. If not Iron Fist would be great, just because he hasn't really been showing he's face lately at all.

MAZAHS117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I am. I was really only interested in the A-poc storyline. Sticking with Hickmans New Avengers (which shoud just be called Illuminati) and Avengers tho

tg1982

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

It's my favorite Avengers book right now, so no, I'm actually really liking it. Maybe I'm in the minority.

Dabee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I still have to catch up, I've loved what I've read, though. I don't see myself dropping it anytime soon unless it takes a sudden turn for the worst, which doesn't seem likely. I think it's great! :-D

You say you don't like the Marvel NOW! team books thus far, but just out of curiosity, which have you read @extremis? The way I worded that sounds kind of snooty, but I assure you I really just mean it literally.

akbogert

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 31

I find it kind of hilarious how polarizing this book is. Every other day it seems someone tells me it's amazing and I should definitely read it, and someone else says they hate it. I've been told that the first four issues were the best. I've also been told they were the worst. I've concluded that this book's likability has less to do with quality and more to do with preference.

Extremis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Extremis

@dabee: well Uncanny Avengers, New Avengers, Avengers Assemble, Uncanny X-Men, X-Men (the new one), Cable and X-Force.

Those are ones I've checked out at least an issue of. The only ones I currently have are New Avengers (which I actually really enjoy) and X-Men which didn't blow me away like everyone else and will probably drop in favor of revamping my pull list. I really want to clear the stuff I'm not enjoying.

Dabee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@extremis said:

@dabee: well Uncanny Avengers, New Avengers, Avengers Assemble, Uncanny X-Men, X-Men (the new one), Cable and X-Force.

Those are ones I've checked out at least an issue of. The only ones I currently have are New Avengers (which I actually really enjoy) and X-Men which didn't blow me away like everyone else and will probably drop in favor of revamping my pull list. I really want to clear the stuff I'm not enjoying.

Okay, so you dolike New Avengers. When you said you didn't like Marvel's team books, I was thinking "really, none of them?" Glad you actually have checked a lot of them out, it would be a shame to miss out on them.

Avatar image for fadetoblackbolt
FadeToBlackBolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 6

I can't believe anyone was dumb enough to buy it in the first place, let alone stick with it.

Extremis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Extremis

@dabee: oh well I didn't say it as a definitive sweeping statement. I'm pretty sure I said something like I don't 'really' like marvels team books. Meaning in general. But yeah the one exception for me right now is New Avengers. Just such a great book.

Actually nvm, I guess I didn't say that. Anyway, I was talking in general as I never stopped liking new avengers at least haha

Dabee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@extremis said:

@dabee: oh well I didn't say it as a definitive sweeping statement. I'm pretty sure I said something like I don't 'really' like marvels team books. Meaning in general. But yeah the one exception for me right now is New Avengers. Just such a great book.

It really has been flawless.

Extremis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for fadetoblackbolt
FadeToBlackBolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

@extremis: Not when it has "Remender" on the cover :P

TDK_1997

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 153

User Lists: 13

#26  Edited By TDK_1997

At first I was really disappointed but now it's a little bit better and for me that's enough and I just want to see what is going to happen.

RedR0bin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 3

I thought that the idea was interesting and picked it up but yeah I decided after the last issue I was going to drop it. I have so many comics in my pull box that if the story isn't moving and keeping my attention I am pretty much forced to make cuts.

And is it just me or does a lot of the X-titles make Cpt.America look like a huge dick?

Avatar image for themanintheshoe
TheManInTheShoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 17

#28  Edited By TheManInTheShoe

I dropped it, didn't really fulfill my needs, the story didn't move forward and there's other titles that are much better.

X35

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 163

User Lists: 8

You'd think Rick Remender would've had enough of ruining things to do with Apocalypse and wouldn't need an Avengers title to do it.

Killemall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

I like Remender writing, always been a fan, and i think Uncanny Avengers, even voted by Marvel was the most popular series currently followed by New Avengers.

I think its pretty cool, no intention of dropping it anytime sooner, besides the much anticipated come back for Sentry :) i sure wont drop it before the whole story plays out.

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 32

#31  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous

Books like this baffle me as pepole say they don't like it yet continue to buy it anyway just because it's an Avengers book.

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 the_stegman  Moderator

Books like this baffle me as pepole say they don't like it yet continue to buy it anyway just because it's an Avengers book.

It's because comic fans like to complain first, and read comics second. I've heard tons of complaints about Avengers Arena, Superior Spider-Man and just about every Marvel event, yet they're still best sellers. People read them just to b*tch about them.

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 32

#33  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous

@jonny_anonymous said:

It's because comic fans like to complain first, and read comics second. I've heard tons of complaints about Avengers Arena, Superior Spider-Man and just about every Marvel event, yet they're still best sellers. People read them just to b*tch about them.

This is true, it's also the reason Event Fatigue is a myth.

SoA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

the red skull stuff made me not want to read this . (just didnt sit well with me ) but as soon as kang got into the picture and the apocakids. im hooked.

lykopis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@the_stegman said:

@jonny_anonymous said:

This is true, it's also the reason Event Fatigue is a myth.

I agree with the other two but Avenger Arena continue to drop in sales and spots -- selling at just over 26k last month and 29k the month before.

As for Uncanny Avengers -- I gave it a shot -- liked the idea behind Havok's speech -- p*ssed off that Marvel is smooshing X-Men and Avengers together because Disney's Marketing Department wants it -- I prefer my X-Men Avenger free, thank you.

Agree about the over-the-top cattiness between the women -- seriously, I adore it when Rogue is sassy and yeah, I can laugh at it but then it goes too far and then it's like high school. These ladies are seasoned veteran super-heroes, they would know better.

So -- I am buying and sticking with -- I have been b*tching about it when it first came out because of what they did to Xavier (like -- come on already) but I am hanging in for the time being. I really liked the tie-in with All New X-Men recently and enjoy seeing Havoc in a position of leadership.

V_Scarlotte_Rose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By V_Scarlotte_Rose

What should replace Captain America, Thor, and Wolverine is specifically I would like to see as an Uncanny Avenger is Hercules or Ares to replace Thor. Reason is this is because if Havok wants a God in the group, then get Hercules. Also since bringing back Sentry is an option why not bring Ares back.

In replacing Wolverine would obviously be the brother of Scarlet Witch is Quicksilver, the twins got to stay together somehow right?

I have been giving a thought in switching Captain Americas place for some other next right hand reliable person. I would give D-man (Demolition man) a second or next chance just like WonderMan. If not Iron Fist would be great, just because he hasn't really been showing he's face lately at all.

I'm O.K. with all of these ideas. Captain America, Thor and Wolverine have big roles in other titles, so I'd be quite O.K. with seeing some less used characters on the team.

Polarity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Polarity

@x35 said:

You'd think Rick Remender would've had enough of ruining things to do with Apocalypse and wouldn't need an Avengers title to do it.

I find the general idea is great, but is being transformed into something of a missed opportunity that goes beyond it's creators somewhat mediocre execution. For this book I think the above is part of that. It's like Remender has one giant story to tell and that story is being told through 4 different titles (Uncanny X-Force, Secret Avengers, UA and Cap). All four titles include, or will include, story ideas and storylines developed for Uncanny X-Force that seem out of place for any book but Remender's X-Force title. Instead of getting a fresh new story, we're getting a follow up to a story from a book that has an entirely different premise than UA. It's weighing the book down IMO.

In a book like this there should be some in-fighting, but that in-fighting should be about the different view points that each team (Avengers and X-men) represents. We're not getting any intelligent insight into this and instead we're only getting childish cattiness.