greenteaforme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

Edited By greenteaforme
No Caption Provided

Amanda Waller is probably one of the most well-known "non-hero, non-villain" characters of DC. She's appeared predominantly in the more recent Justice League animated series, made an appeared in Batman Beyond, as well as at least one DC animated film. She has had many "badass" moments, and is an extremely powerful woman with ties to various government agencies, and connections that would make leaders of nations jealous. She has created and lead more than one task force. She is incredibly intelligent in a different way than, say, Ray Palmer. She is a strategist. Intelligence expert, extremely highly trained in espionage and game theory. While she is quite well-off, her power doesn't come from her wealth. She is not a socialite. She is a powerful woman. And she happens to be big.

Amanda Waller has been inked at different proportions, but she has always been drawn larger. She did, at one point, shed a fair amount of pounds...but she was still "bigger". It is part of her characterization, and I feel that it is a positive one that has only added to her character.

Between "hero" and "villain", she is normally placed as a "villain", but this is not accurate. She is a patriot; most closely associated with the American government and more hush-hush branches of it.

But in any case, my point is that she has always been portrayed as a large, powerful, confident and intelligent woman. Amanda "the Wall" Waller as an example of a girl from the projects, through sheer force of will, determination and intelligence, became one of the world's most powerful women. She is not large for comedic value, and characters don't regularly crack jokes about her weight or look down on her for it, because she is a badass. I feel she loses a lot of her presence as a thin woman, and it makes her feel that much more generic. That being said, it has nothing to do being a role model for "big" women, or even black women. Because she isn't, necesarily. Being large is part of her characterization, and I don't see any reason to make her "hot". I feel like it is a bit of a cop-out on DC's part, and I am slightly disappointed.

But on the note of inclusion, in a DC world more and more filling its status quo on gays and minorities, there is no room for a large woman. No pun intended. In the New 52 Teen Titans run, "Bunker" is a homosexual Mexican. Alan Scott's coming out also caused a big fuss - no less because he actually has fathered two children in previous main continuity. But Amanda Waller apparently has to lose weight to be an appealing character. And not only lose weight, but chemically straighten her hair, show cleavage and glob on make-up. I'm not at all a feminist. This comes legitimately from the fact that I enjoyed a larger Amanda Waller.

Plus, there are very few things more badass than a big black woman with an attitude leading a team of munitions experts into a mission and massacring an entire criminal syndicate.

That being said, this goes out to Amanda "the Wall" Waller. She will never be the same, and that's a sad thing for DC.

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By the_stegman  Moderator
Doesn't matter to me what she looks like, as long as she acts the same I'm fine.
Avatar image for guardiandevil83
Guardiandevil83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By Guardiandevil83

I love this and completly agree. Amanda being a big girl is one of the things I liked most. It set her apart from the barbies and super models. I was saddened when they took it away.

Twentyfive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Twentyfive

@greenteaforme said:

But on the note of inclusion, in a DC world more and more filling its status quo on gays and minorities, there is no room for a large woman. No pun intended. In the New 52 Teen Titans run, "Bunker" is a homosexual Mexican. Alan Scott's coming out also caused a big fuss - no less because he actually has fathered two children in previous main continuity. But Amanda Waller apparently has to lose weight to be an appealing character. And not only lose weight, but chemically straighten her hair, show cleavage and glob on make-up. I'm not at all a feminist. This comes legitimately from the fact that I enjoyed a larger Amanda Waller.

Plus, there are very few things more badass than a big black woman with an attitude leading a team of munitions experts into a mission and massacring an entire criminal syndicate.

That being said, this goes out to Amanda "the Wall" Waller. She will never be the same, and that's a sad thing for DC.

Lol!!!! I like you, pal. That hair bit was funny as heck. But it is too true. You are a riot. I know what you're saying. They imply that if you don't have straight hair, you aren't "attractive". That's why you hardly see curly hair in comics. But in the team seven book, her hair is braided, which is something that only looks right with naturally curly/nappy hair. Which is cool!

About her weight? I think that while it is a shame that she shed her most distinguishable characteristic, DC did it so they could utilize her more. They want to see her on the field more, that's why she is one of the main seven in the Team 7 book. What would've been cool was if she stayed huge, and became the "big character" of the team. That would be awesome to see a female powerhouse of the team. Oh well. I'm glad she gets to fight the good fight though.

kid Apollo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By kid Apollo

totally off topic, and im sorry for that because this is a great article. but ive thought for a long time that amanda waller defines the anti-villian spot in DC. shes not a bad guy by any stretch of the word but shes not always a good guy either. shes a tough chick and commands a lot of respect for a flatscan

PowerHerc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#5  Edited By PowerHerc

Apparently big/heavy people aren't part of DC's version of p.c. inclusion & diversity.

BatteredArmor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By BatteredArmor

@The Stegman said:

Doesn't matter to me what she looks like, as long as she acts the same I'm fine.

This, so much this

greenteaforme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By greenteaforme

@BlackArmor said:

@The Stegman said:

This, so much this

She doesn't.

How does that make you feel? She's borderline flirty, and constantly smirking or otherwise in a "good" mood.

Amanda Waller should not be happy.

Avatar image for fadetoblackbolt
FadeToBlackBolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 6

#8  Edited By FadeToBlackBolt
@PowerHerc said:

Apparently big/heavy people aren't part of DC's version p.c. inclusion & diversity.

Win. So much win.
BatteredArmor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By BatteredArmor

@greenteaforme: I've read every issue of the new 52 Suicide Squad, she's smirked about 2 times in the twelve issues and the only thing she did similar to flirting is show basic concern for Black Spider.

greenteaforme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By greenteaforme

@BlackArmor said:

@greenteaforme: I've read every issue of the new 52 Suicide Squad, she's smirked about 2 times in the twelve issues and the only thing she did similar to flirting is show basic concern for Black Spider.

She's appeared in other series!es.

She most recently appeared in...was it Teen Titans? I can't even remember.

BatteredArmor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By BatteredArmor

@greenteaforme said:

@BlackArmor said:

I think she might of for like half a page, but there's also a detective character who knows her and looks a little like her when drawn by Brett Booth so she might just have cameod through a phone call instead of being there in person

greenteaforme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By greenteaforme

@BlackArmor said:

@greenteaforme said:

@BlackArmor said:

I think she might of for like half a page, but there's also a detective character who knows her and looks a little like her when drawn by Brett Booth so she might just have cameod through a phone call instead of being there in person

It was The Wall, no doubt.

But I have to add, in her Teen Titans cameo, she had a bit of a gut and was decidedly less "pretty".

Is it possible they're going to fatten her up?

BatteredArmor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By BatteredArmor

@greenteaforme: It's possible but I doubt it, her weight will probably vary from artist to artist and some will draw her heavier than others but she'll probably hover around her current weight

Seafarinhare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Seafarinhare

I think her being big was something that really set her apart from the rest of the female cast of supermodels. It was nice to see, to be honest. I feel like they not only took away her fat, but also a facet of her character with it. I'm holding out hope that alot of the characters in the DCnU will kind of... develop into what they were pre-Flashpoint. Maybe Amanda Waller will 'let herself go' due to some heart-breaking or traumatizing event. Like getting fired, and not being able to find a new job in this job market. xD

fodigg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#15  Edited By fodigg

I miss the bigger Waller. She was visually distinct, and her imposing figure matched her unyielding personality. Also, if they wanted to make her sexier, there are lots ways to do that with a bigger girl. They didn't need to slim her down.

abeyance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#16  Edited By abeyance

I think they should have left her at plus size too. You may not think of her as a role model for plus size women, but younger girls with weight issues liked to follow her. I have a younger cousin with three friends (all growing into the plus size area) who actually look for comics involving waller. I think dropping her weight will hurt Amanda Waller in the long run. She just looks like another token super model agent with no powers or a none powered Vixen in my personal opinion. The creative team who make the decisions to change characters are a close minded group that aren't aware of the various readers they have. I know they primarily aiming their comics at young men, but they are females across the world that read american comics. I've met dozens of girls that read DC comics even when they lived in their home country. Waller also didn't need to lose weight to be sexy and attractive. I know one president that wanted to repopulate the human race with her after he destroyed most the population.

No Caption Provided
roboadmiral

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#17  Edited By roboadmiral

I found the change weird too. I always thought her figure went very much with her personality. The adjective that came to mind for me was always "stout" rather than "big."

PowerHerc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#18  Edited By PowerHerc

Amanda Waller should be big - There's nothing wrong with that and it does portray a segment of society that is not usually shown in comics.

Alan Scott should not be gay - He was straight for approximately 60 years and he still should be. Create gay characters, don't change straight ones into gay ones.

MariaEBello22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Great article. Her physical change ...almost saddened me. Weight diversity in comic book women is nonexistent. I also find female characters of this generation, not only in comics but in movies and other forms of media, of much less importance, depth and taste.

reactor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I knew and loved her as a plus-sized gal, but I couldn't care less if she went on a died. I want my Amanda "the Wall" to be "the Wall" in the way she most importantly was; her attitude, personality and frightening presence. Since when is prejudice suddenly acceptable in the event a woman gets herself into better physical shape? The priorities of some people here seem a tad warped; her characterization should be what matters, not her clothes size.

That being said, while I have no serious issues with Amanda Waller now, I do admit I prefer her personality more back in the pre-Flashpoint universe.

EyeDCyou

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 13

#21  Edited By EyeDCyou

I prefer fat Wal. I shouldn't be able to say "Amanda Waller is hot."

Gjgp27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

The only thing pre new 52 Waller is intimidating is a buffet.

ScouterV

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Doesn't much matter what she looks like. It matters what she brings to the table as a character. I don't care if the characters are fat, homosexual, black, white, Latino, drunks, alien, robots, human, etc. I don't see why DC or people in general make such a big deal out of it with these characters.

SilverPool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't care how she looks, she's still a b*tch.

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 the_stegman  Moderator

Wow, I commented on this two years ago, time flies.

Anyway, I repeat what I said then, I don't care if she's fat or skinny, as long as she's still the H.B.I.C, I'm good. Though, her "Wall" nickname made more sense when she was hefty.