Am I the only one that thinks Captain America: Civil War is overrated?

• 142 results
CR500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

After watching Captain America: Civil War for the third time, I still can't see why people say it's one of the greatest superhero films of all time. I enjoy watching it but I can't ignore its faults. It seemed overcrowded, the characters acted very uncharacteristically at times and it seemed as though they were trying to make two different films at once. I'd like to see what everyone else thinks.

those_eyes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cr500: winter soldier is better imo.

deathstroke52

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

I'd give it a 3.5/5

PeterParkerJr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Most MCU movies tend to have that effect.

You see it opening night and think it's amazeballs, but then your opinion shifts dramatically on multiple viewings. Look at the first Avengers movie. How many people thought it was the best CBM ever when it came out? How many still feel that way now?

Anyways, I still think it's good. Winter Soldier is better, tho.

KrleAvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 114

What's with those MCU/DCEU threads?

theCrazyBean

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've seen people say it was "way worse" than BvS, actually I've seen people calling it "civil wedding" so I think that compensates the people saying it was the best MCU movie.

Saberscar223

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The characters screen time was really balanced and all the motivations made sense just like how all the motivations in the dark knight made sense. People who dont like civil war never come up with an argument that cant be countered with facts.

Avatar image for deactivated-5faef67d08995
deactivated-5faef67d08995

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

Any movie seems worse if you watch it over and over again.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d731ee5de2e9
deactivated-5d731ee5de2e9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@saberscar223: except if u actually pay attention the motivations fall apart

Cosmic_Templar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's not overrated, it's just a good movie.

jasonhawke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

That depends....

How do you feel about The Dark Knight Rises then?

cfrehse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Russo brothers try to make there movies honest trailer proof and thats why they are so good.

CaptainSalt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

CW deserved the praise it got. It was amazing.

Avatar image for petey_is_spidey
Petey_is_Spidey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

No.

I don't even think it's the best movie in its trilogy, let alone the best CBM ever. And I literally lol each time I hear someone say it's better than the Dark Knight.

Granted, I've only seen the film once, and my opinion usually changes after my second viewing.

CaptainSalt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This.

leave it alone already. Marvel succeeded where DC failed. Deal wit it.

gokuss4z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You sir are not alone I personally thought Winter Soldier was much better, Civil War was too crowded and just felt like a disagreement rather than an war.

Avatar image for deactivated-5967bf6197d40
deactivated-5967bf6197d40

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

CW deserved the praise it got. It was amazing.

Saberscar223

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The civil argument thing is so supid why would the name of the title effect how good the movie is?

DarthAznable

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Winter Soldier was infinitely better. Even choreography was better.

Chris-Sama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Personally I think it is one of the greatest comic books of all times.

-panther and Spider-Man were both done perfect

-the story had weight to it/ there was meaning.

-airport sequence felt like an actual comic book moment. Extremely epic.

-Easily a 9.5/10. Better than winter soldier in my opinion.

Chris-Sama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The characters screen time was really balanced and all the motivations made sense just like how all the motivations in the dark knight made sense. People who dont like civil war never come up with an argument that cant be countered with facts.

@cosmic_templar said:

This.

leave it alone already. Marvel succeeded where DC failed. Deal wit it.

Agreed^^.

brucerogers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Yes. Now feel bad about it

BlueHope

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Just a little, Avengers on the other hand...

TinyFord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Along with 95% of the people who already posted here, I feel that it was probably worse than the other 2 captain movies.

I wouldn't say it was as bad as Iron Man 3, but I would say it's definitely in my bottom 5 movies for the year.

As for Batman vs Superman. I don't think it was that bad, we all just expected a Christopher Nolan storyline along with a Christian Bale performance and that's not what we got.

Captain America Civil war - 4/10

Avatar image for almightyamortal
AlmightyAmortal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By AlmightyAmortal

Anyone who says Civil War is the greatest Superhero movie should watch winter soldier again. IMO avengers, guardians of the galaxy and winter soldier are all better than CW.

EDIT: I just realised that I also like ant-man more than I like CA:CW

There were a number of things that bothered me about CW:

• Why did the teams actually fight at the airport?
    • It wasn't like BvS where superman and batman didn't know each other and had already assumed the worst of each other... Cap and IM could have simply talked.
  • Why did zemo have to lure cap and iron man to the base to just to show iron man a video?
    • How did Zemo know that Iron man would actually show up at the secret hydra base? (events would have played out differently if widow or vision had showed up instead)
  • Why did Iron man have to bring in spiderman (at this point a kid and seemingly an amateur hero) instead of bringing people from shield or daredevil or anyone else really?
  • Why bring up the registration and then make the fight about about someone framing Bucky for a crime and then bucky's escape from a shield facility?
  • Why do some people claim that CW is more complicated than the average superhero movie?
    • Captain america: WS brought up the issue of Privacy vs Security, CW had a 5 minute discussion about the registration and then proceeded to the drama concerning the "friendship triangle" of iron man, cap, and bucky.

There's a few more, but those are the first that come to mind when I think about CA: CW.

RBT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Its definitely a good movie, but yeah, it gets overrated a lot.

Spambot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Spambot

I don't think its that overrated. I bought it on amazon and have watched it with my son like a dozen times and the main problem I have with it is that the airport battle while awesome to watch the first time kind of just throws off all the momentum that had been building in the movie up to that point, almost as though that was meant to be the climax of the movie. I think the movie would have been much better served to have left Spiderman and Antman out of the movie and kept Tony in Europe and shaved 10-15min off the battle and used that time to develop the story more while keeping it more focused on Cap and Tony. Having Tony fly out to flirt with Aunt May and have a 5 minute heart to heart with some kid who he tracked down via youtube videos to fight Cap with just seemed preposterous and unnecessary other than to give Spiderman's next movie some hype. The airport battle also suffered from having half the people in it not really taking it that seriously and cracking jokes during it imo.

AlmightyAmortal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By AlmightyAmortal

More things I think about when I wonder why I like Winter soldier more than Civil War:

• Why did Iron man not use friday to predict cap's moves during the airport battle?
  • Why did spiderman choose Iron man's team, considering how he doesn't even want his aunt to know that he was spiderman ? - if he won't tell his family, why would he tell the government?
    • If your answer to the question regarding spiderman's choice in team, is that the fight is not about registration but about winter soldier's alleged crime, isn't that itself a problem? - because then there really would be no point in having brought up the registration earlier in the movie.
  • What actually caused the turmoil within the team?
    • Was it the Registration dispute or Bucky's alleged crime. Doesn't the fact that some one might actually choose one of them over the other make it a problem? Why include zemo if you bring up the registration? or Why include the registration if the cause of the fight is zemo manipulating the team?
  • Why did scarlet witch not choose IM's team, considering how she was what finally pushed the UN into establishing the Sokovia accords?
    • Why is Scarlet witch seemingly given no choice as to whether or not she would follow the sokovia accords (cap was close to signing the accords but stopped when he realised SW would have to be kept in in-house arrest). I thought that she would have been given a choice. - UN could have used her willingness to sign the accords to promote the accords, to unregistered inhumans.
      • More importantly, why does cap signing, dictate what happens to Wanda?
  • Cross technologies, formerly Pym Technologies, was a rival company of stark industries (if not it should have been), and had been destroyed via being shrunk down, seemingly irreversibly. Why did Tony not hear of this? It could have led him to meeting and recruiting ant-man before falcon did. How did Tony hear about a teen swinging around a city on webs but not find out that a company (The main building anyway) that could have rivaled stark industries seemingly shrunk to oblivion?
  • Scott is a reformed criminal and is finally allowed to spend time with his daughter, why would he risk that by joining cap's team or getting involved at all?

There's more but I think I'll stop here.

Saberscar223

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@almightyamortal: they were fighting at the airport because team cap wanted to escape on the quinjet to the SUPER soilders and iron man was told to capture him tony wouldnt believe anything steve said

Oh my god all your reasons i could argue with ok

Spiderman: chose team man because he looks up to tony stark and a chance to be with him would be awesome for him remember hes like 15. and tony thought spiderman was really impressive

Friday couldve been used during that scene how would we know did tony ONLY fight cap there?

The whole thing was cap didnt sighn but still continued to do heroic acts when he shouldnt haveThen he escaped with bucky and sam from the facility.

AlmightyAmortal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@spambot:

@spambot said:

I don't think its that overrated. I bought it on amazon and have watched it with my son like a dozen times and the main problem I have with it is that the airport battle while awesome to watch the first time kind of just throws off all the momentum that had been building in the movie up to that point, almost as though that was meant to be the climax of the movie. I think the movie would have been much better served to have left Spiderman and Antman out of the movie and kept Tony in Europe and shaved 10-15min off the battle and used that time to develop the story movie and keep it more focused on Cap and Tony. Having Tony fly out to flirt with Aunt May and have a 5 minute heart to heart with some kid who he tracked down via youtube videos to fight Cap with just seemed preposterous and unnecessary other than to give Spiderman's next movie some hype. The airport battle also suffered from having half the people in it not really taking it that seriously and cracking jokes during it imo.

I agree completely about spiderman and the airport battle. I was excited to to see a movie called civil war but then saw a movie where the climax was an airport battle that had more jokes in it than probably every other scene. I would have to disagree about, since IMO Antman could have been used more effectively - He is a reformed cat burgler and has seen first hand what bad people could do if they had abilities/tech similar to himself. He could have been could have been used to provide a unique perspective in the dispute regarding the registration (also drawing more attention to the registration than just two or three conversations that amounted to nearly nothing), which would have better served the plot, than more jokes.

slimj87d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I can't describe it well, but when you watch a movie with tons of characters, it's very hard to follo multiple stories like a book with multiple POV.

A lot of movies that have to follow multiple storylines do very very bad. But civil did not have this problem.

They gave a good amount of character development for everyone and had 2 of the main captain America characters have the most screen time, Winter soldier and Captain America to keep it a Captain America movie.

The Russo brothers did something smart, they watched the Godfather and read the book and studied how to tell a tale with a big cast of characters, and many movies fail to do this.

When you watch one of these bad movies, dialogue is usually rushed and awkwardly cut, etc.

Avatar image for transformers1024
Transformers1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

When you start a thread with, "Am I the only one that thinks" its pretty much just click bait for people to come and circle jerk your opinion with you.

PeterParkerJr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#35  Edited By PeterParkerJr

@almightyamortal said:
  • Why bring up the registration and then make the fight about about someone framing Bucky for a crime and then bucky's escape from a shield facility?
  • Why do some people claim that CW is more complicated than the average superhero movie?
    • Captain america: WS brought up the issue of Privacy vs Security, CW had a 5 minute discussion about the registration and then proceeded to the drama concerning the "friendship triangle" of iron man, cap, and bucky.

Yeah, I wasn't a fan of these either. It went from the actual Civil War storyline about Registration and Anti-Registration to a "We have to protect Bucky" Cap/Bucky bromance thing.

Winter Soldier is a better film.

rogueshadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 rogueshadow  Moderator

It's not a perfect film, but it's still really, really good. One of my favourite CBMs.

I don't think it's overrated, I mean, I've never seen people say it's the greatest film ever made or anything.

AlmightyAmortal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@almightyamortal: they were fighting at the airport because team cap wanted to escape on the quinjet to the SUPER soilders and iron man was told to capture him tony wouldnt believe anything steve said

Oh my god all your reasons i could argue with ok

Spiderman: chose team man because he looks up to tony stark and a chance to be with him would be awesome for him remember hes like 15. and tony thought spiderman was really impressive

Friday couldve been used during that scene how would we know did tony ONLY fight cap there?

The whole thing was cap didnt sighn but still continued to do heroic acts when he shouldnt haveThen he escaped with bucky and sam from the facility.

1. My point exactly. Tony should have listened to cap seeing as how they had been part of a team and trusting each other with their lives for the better part of 3 years (or however long the avengers were an active team). Saying tony wouldn't listen to cap is poor story telling, especially seeing as how they were practically best friends (yeah I know rhodes is probably stark's real best friend, but cap comes close) at the end of Avengers 2.
  2. You didn't argue my point, or at least you did not argue the more important one. My first point there was "why stark approached parker" not why parker said yes. stark should have had heard about daredevil or jessica jones by now and tried to approach them (none of them still go to school and only one of them needs someone else to make a costume for them), or any of the powered shield agents. Regarding my later post about why parker agreed - you have essentially stated that spiderman is incapable of making decisions beyond "I like him, so i'll join his team". Looking back now, IIRC stark essentially told parker that he would reveal to his aunt that parker was spiderman if parker did not join his team, and that is just poor story telling - he essentially blackmailed a teen to fighting superheroes.
  3. It is pure speculation that stark was using friday during the airport battle. There is no indication that happened at all. Iron man was hit multiple times by cap, and once or twice falcon and possibly hawkeye.
  4. Your last point wasn't argument to anything really. My point was why include the registration in the movie if the fight was going to be about bucky escaping and captain america helping him. My point, simply put, is why include one when you have other and your reply was that you saw them both happen. - i.e., you did not provide a decent answer/argument.

"look, when you can do the things that I can, but you don't... and then the bad things happen. They happen because of you" by Peter Parker

That came from parker not long after he told stark he did not want his aunt to find out that he was spiderman. The quote + his desire to keep his identity secret from his family, let alone the government. Hopefully now you see why I think the story is somewhat disorganized.

At this point you seem to be answering/replying, or at least attempting tor answer/reply , to points you did not even read correctly.

AlmightyAmortal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@peterparkerjr:

@almightyamortal said:

Yeah, I wasn't a fan of these either. It went from the actual Civil War storyline about Registration and Anti-Registration to a "We have to protect Bucky" Cap/Bucky bromance thing.

Winter Soldier is a better film.

Seriously.... Thank you. I thought I was the only one who noticed the shift from security (Registration) vs freedom (Anti-registration) to battle of the bromance.

Saberscar223

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It seems like peoples probem is just what they got from the title. Just because it wasnt an actual war doesnt take anything away from it.

AlmightyAmortal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@saberscar223:

For me the problem was not the title. The problem was that the first trailer featured the sokovia accords with the generals voice in the background ".... you've operated with unlimited power and no supervision. that's something the world can no longer tolerate ....".

The second trailer even included stark saying "we need to be put in check. What ever form that takes I'm game" which is then followed by Rogers saying "I'm sorry tony...." after which follows a compilation of action scenes, that I later find out has nothing to do with the accords - the accords were essentially forgotten about after that.

This lead my friends, family and myself to believe that the accords would be an integral part of the story. IMO it does not matter that there was not an actual war because there were already enough action scenes imo, using time that could have been better used by featuring the accords.

Most of us were reasonably satisfied with the movie, But almost all of us agreed that winter soldier, avengers 1 and guardians of the galaxy were better than CA:CW and we each had different reasons for saying so. I am pretty sure I have made mine clear.

Chimeroid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

Really shoddy camera work. A lot of nostril shots. Big white letters for every scene change.

Now for the plot. The plan Zemo had was flat out retarded, too complicated and required too many coincidences before working.

During the entire film i didn't feel any actual danger for the characters until the final fight which was great. Everything else was pretty meh...

Overall, i enjoyed watching it in the cinema, but my non comic book reading friends went out super bored.

Penguin-Dust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

It's a good comic book movie, but it is not the best comic book movie. There are better films, certainly. I don't know too many people who believe that it's better than Winter Soldier or The Dark Knight, for example. I myself prefer Guardians of the Galaxy, Batman Begins and X-Men First Class over it. That being said, I found Civil War to be a well constructed piece of cinematic entertainment. The Ant-Man scene alone makes me smile. I'll probably check it out again when Doctor Strange is released to see how Marvel's latest compare.

Avatar image for theamazingspidey
TheAmazingSpidey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hyiena said:

Any movie seems worse if you watch it over and over again.

This.

This.

No.

I don't even think it's the best movie in its trilogy, let alone the best CBM ever. And I literally lol each time I hear someone say it's better than the Dark Knight.

Granted, I've only seen the film once, and my opinion usually changes after my second viewing.

Not this.

Someone give me a compelling argument as to why Civil War is overrated.

AlmightyAmortal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@saberscar223 said:

Really shoddy camera work. A lot of nostril shots. Big white letters for every scene change.

Now for the plot. The plan Zemo had was flat out retarded, too complicated and required too many coincidences before working.

During the entire film i didn't feel any actual danger for the characters until the final fight which was great. Everything else was pretty meh...

Overall, i enjoyed watching it in the cinema, but my non comic book reading friends went out super bored.

I agree with most of what you said.

The Big white letters took me out of the movie and I had to take a minute or two before adjusting to the scene change. Zemo's plan did not make any sense. The inclusion of humorous elements in the airport battle removed the tension or suspense that should have been there, seeing as how it is essentially a civil war.

TheAmazingSpidey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I wish you were the only one. Civil War is, in my opinion, one of the best superhero movies ever made:

+ Compellingly written and rivetingly performed arguments between Steve and Tony. I'm on my 6th re watch and I'm still hanging on their every line. It's so goddamn hard to pick a side.

+ Perfectly utilised every single character. Including Black Panther, who gets a badass introduction, but also an emotional arc. Spider-Man is spectacular.

+ The Airport Sequence is the greatest action sequence in a superhero film.

+ Emotional climax. Refused the need to go BIGGER, instead ending on a personal scale.

+ Ant-Man.

Basically, the directors and scriptwriters took an overwhelming ensemble, utilised each and every single character brilliantly, and kept it personal. Quite the accomplishment.

Kingyang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Kingyang

@slimj87d: When Civil war gets mentioned in the same sentence as the Godfather it's overrated. Subtract at least 1 point off disney movies you first see. TFA Frozen etc. Branding affects perception, people like these movies before they see them. Like ive seen people pretend Zemo was a great character and act like there was a real conflict in the movie. Civil War could have been more impactful but Disney plays it safe.

Interesting storylines and opprotunities f'ed up by disney

1 Tonys alcoholism(it seemed like a thing in the first movie) but it is never touched on in a serious way moving foward.

2 Uncontrolable Hulk

No non bad guy is ever in danger of the Hulk. Hulk losing control at any moment in was 1 of the funnest aspects of the character and 1 of the biggest internal conflict of the character.

3 Civil War movie where the team is split on philosophy politics over whether the team should sign the accords instead we get a movie where during climatic battle they literally said "we still friends right" and at the end of the movie it was basically call me when you need me. Captain America:Buckys My Friend

Captaun America literally knows all the Avengers longer than he knew Bucky lol

The main problem with MCU is ambition.

Shoulda gave Favrea more power.

TheAmazingSpidey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kingyang:

and at the end of the movie it was basically call me when you need me.

You're right, man. How DARE Cap apologise to an old friend of his.

Have you ever seen Good Will Hunting?

Kingyang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

TheAmazingSpidey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers