All Tom and jerry movies are just terrible

MetalGary

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By MetalGary

This includes the direct to video movies because the focus is always away from Tom and jerry while the duo are causing havoc in the background These movies present just how limited the characters are and trying to make a movie involving them is no easy task. Sometimes the movies consists of pointless crossovers with a random public domain character or any other characters within the writers' reach being given a shot for shot animated remake, occasionally interrupted by Tom and Jerry engaging in their usual antics to pad the runtime. The "Tom and Jerry: Willy Wonka & the Chocolate Factory" one especially felt like they just made a worse version of the original 1971 film with Tom and Jerry slapped in as guest stars.

MoistChoice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Idk I heard the first one was alright.

The_Hajduk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

MoistChoice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@the_hajduk: idk I thought it was decent. Though that’s probably because I was like 6.

Avatar image for sar_annihilator
SAR_Annihilator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I enjoyed them though.

modernww2fare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By modernww2fare

I agree

Darkthunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

the only ones I had ever seen were the sherlock holmes crossover and the wizard of oz ones. I hated the latter and loved the former

MetalGary

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Warner Bros only made the crossover movie Tom and Jerry: Willy Wonka & the Chocolate Factory only to keep the film rights to Willy Wonka, It also caused the Roald Dahl Estate to revoke Warner Bros' film rights to Charlie and the Chocolate Factory. it was also the last film in the Tom and Jerry Direct-to-Video movies.

Necromancer76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I enjoyed some of the older ones when I was younger.

Rhubarb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

They're great movies.

matbezlima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Making a full Tom & Jerry movie truly focused on them is very hard because the characters aren't suited to feature-length films, they were made for theatrical shorts under 10 minutes in the Golden Age of Animation of the 1940s and 1950s. And they don't have much personality depth (not a knock on Tom & Jerry). Slapstick and gags are perfectly fine in a short, but can't by themselves sustain a film.

When Walt Disney decided to make Snow White And The Seven Dwarfs in 1937, the first american feature-length animated film, he immediately realized that the gags from the Mickey, Goofy and Donald Duck shorts or the Silly Symphonies would never be able to hold an audience's attention. A feature-length film would need to have far more dramatic substance and sense of real threat and attachment to the characters.

The Looney Tunes characters have personalities far deeper than Tom & Jerry, which means that making a truly great Looney Tunes feature-length film seems far more manageable, despite the characters having been all conceived for theatrical shorts under 10 minutes.

AssertingValor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 65