waezi2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

Edited By waezi2

No Caption Provided

Alan Moore is a comic book god! He wrote so many classic tales!

No Caption Provided

Like “For the Man Who Has Everything” where Wonder Woman gets her ass handed to her by Mongul.

No Caption Provided

Or “Night Olympics” where Black Canary goes to the hospital.

No Caption Provided

Let’s not forget “Watchmen” with Silk Spectre who is basically the obligatory girlfriend character.

No Caption Provided

And “The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen” where Mina Murray… ah…

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided

Dude… Moore is a great writers, but some of his stories did NOT age very well.

waezi2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for amazing_webhead
amazing_webhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 20

in all fairness, this version of Mina is still better than most adaptations, where she's reduced from a strong female lead to Dracula's two-dimensional love interest (despite how in the original version Dracula's controlling her had some pretty rapey subtext, which IMO makes it so much worse that they always try to make it romantic)

waezi2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

in all fairness, this version of Mina is still better than most adaptations, where she's reduced from a strong female lead to Dracula's two-dimensional love interest (despite how in the original version Dracula's controlling her had some pretty rapey subtext, which IMO makes it so much worse that they always try to make it romantic)

I suppose. Not that it says much, sadly.

On another note; WHY do we still think of vampires as sexy?

It’s a relatively new age for women where they shouldn’t dream about a strong man coming for them. And what are vampires, when you think about it?

A vampire is basically an undead douche who visits women at night(and by visit, I mean enter their house without permission like a stalker or something) to seduce them/eat them. He turns them into his zombie wife, one of many since he has a harem. That’s what made him sexy, right?

So today, he is just a creep. Well, he was a creep anyway, but with modern standard, he shouldn’t be found sexy at all, right?

And no one is still doing the I-can-fix-him thing anymore, right?

Man, feels like all I do now is point out sexism in comics. Being a grownup sucks.

JediXMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 16

#4 JediXMan  Moderator

Tbf, at least in V for Vendetta, Evey started out as a victim and then grew to replace V herself.

Aros001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

@waezi2 said:
@amazing_webhead said:

I suppose. Not that it says much, sadly.

It’s a relatively new age for women where they shouldn’t dream about a strong man coming for them. And what are vampires, when you think about it?

A vampire is basically an undead douche who visits women at night(and by visit, I mean enter their house without permission like a stalker or something) to seduce them/eat them. He turns them into his zombie wife, one of many since he has a harem. That’s what made him sexy, right?

So today, he is just a creep. Well, he was a creep anyway, but with modern standard, he shouldn’t be found sexy at all, right?

Man, feels like all I do now is point out sexism in comics. Being a grownup sucks.

I think part of it is the power fantasy, at least for the older generations of vampire ideas like Dracula. Guys find vampires sexy because they can imagine themselves with that power and having all these women hopelessly desiring them.

Mind you, vampires today in fiction are pretty different from how they were during the original Dracula movies. If you were to ask a woman what she'd think of when you'd ask her about a sexy vampire from fiction, they'd probably name Edward from Twilight or Alucard from Hellsing (maybe some characters from Vampire Knight, but I know very little about that series, so I couldn't say), neither of which act like the typical Dracula (ironically, Alucard acts in the less creepy stalker ways than Edward and Alucard is actually SUPPOSED to be Dracula).

amazing_webhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@waezi2:

the 'forbidden fruit' aspect? the fact that women love the bad boys? i dunno

It’s a relatively new age for women where they shouldn’t dream about a strong man coming for them.

primal instinct is the arch-enemy of progressive equality, imo

A vampire is basically an undead douche who visits women at night(and by visit, I mean enter their house without permission like a stalker or something) to seduce them/eat them.

ironic, since the older legends had a(n admittedly rather silly) rule where that was explicitly impossible for them

what, so we've abandoned the belief that a person can change for the better when helped by a loved one? or am i misunderstanding what you mean by that?

agreed

phillip33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#7  Edited By phillip33

I mean would you rather have this or would you have the unsellable women of comics that we have being pushed nowadays

amazing_webhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@aros001:

(ironically, Alucard acts in the less creepy stalker ways than Edward and Alucard is actually SUPPOSED to be Dracula).

absolutely hilarious >XD

Avatar image for theonewhopullsthestrings
TheOneWhoPullsTheStrings

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Idk, they aged rather well to me, even the obligatory girlfriend trope is just like any other cliched trope we see too much of today, and most of the rest don't bother me. But I am not looking at media like this with some sort of social equity mindset either. And it certainly wasn't the demographic these were for when they were written.

Kairan1979

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

I disagree about Silk Spectre being 'obligatory girlfriend character'. She is important to the plot.

And Mina Murray tends to be underestimated because she lacks powers. LXG movie turning her into a badass vampiress cartainly didn't help.

FaradaySloth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Lmao, please tag me for future stuff like this!

Green_Tea

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Quality post lol

Eto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I mean would you rather have this or would you have the unsellable women of comics that we have being pushed nowadays

waezi2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@eto said:
@phillip33 said:

No, I just want women who get hurt for the sake of plot to be a thing of the past.

Lmao, please tag me for future stuff like this!

I grave attention, so more than happy to oblige :P (kidding... kinda)

I disagree about Silk Spectre being 'obligatory girlfriend character'. She is important to the plot.

And Mina Murray tends to be underestimated because she lacks powers. LXG movie turning her into a badass vampiress cartainly didn't help.

Sure, she plays an important role, but what does she really do?

Rorschach is the crazy detective who partly unravels Ozymandias' master plan and dies for his principles.

Comedian affects the world around him with his twisted world view and is more or less to blame for Ozy's plan.

Night Owl breaks Rorschach out of jail and assist him in his investigation with his incredible technology.

Doc Manhattan... is Doc Manhattan.

Ozymandias is the "villain" who actually succeed.

Silk Spectre... is important because of emotions and stuff. Sure, she assists Night Owl, but it is Night Owl who does the heavy lifting all things considered. Even in the chapter that focuses on her, she feels like a side character.

@jedixman said:

Tbf, at least in V for Vendetta, Evey started out as a victim and then grew to replace V herself.

True, and hell of a plot twist.

@waezi2:

what, so we've abandoned the belief that a person can change for the better when helped by a loved one? or am i misunderstanding what you mean by that?

No, I talk about the idea that some woman is naive enough to believe that a bad person can become a somewhat decent guy is she loves him.

amazing_webhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@waezi2 said:
@amazing_webhead said:

@waezi2:

No, I talk about the idea that some woman is naive enough to believe that a bad person can become a somewhat decent guy is she loves him.

ah, okay then

Michaelbn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@eto said:
@phillip33 said:

waezi2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

amazing_webhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@waezi2: really? in that case, surprised the president hasn't bad-mouthed it on twitter yet

waezi2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@waezi2: really? in that case, surprised the president hasn't bad-mouthed it on twitter yet

I demand that Trump badmouth OK KO Let's Be Heroes!