After today's drama with China, the NBA and South Park: how can the MCU have LGBTQ?

• 95 results
Heatforce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Is it true homosexuality is censored in Chinese media? If so, won't that prove to be an issue when Disney starts depicting gay couples in their properties or is it more of a censor on gay-PDA (public display of affection) rather than the couples themselves?

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.esquire.com/entertainment/tv/amp29387761/south-park-banned-in-china-episode-explained/

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

nn5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Maybe they make censored version for China, without some scenes.

Zezima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

At this point, I don't think Disney cares too much.

Jgames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

It is not a coincidence that despite the amount of live action comic book movies, the only one that has gay couples are Rated-R comic book movies like Watchmen and Deadpool 2, which usually cannot be released in China without censorship which they did in Once Upon a Deadpool. Actually I remember that in the crappy female ghostbuster reboot, one of the ghostbuster was supposed to be gay until Sony say no. Despite being call woke trash, it was not willing to go that far if it mean potentially losing out money.

Maybe Disney can work around this and released a major blockbuster movie with a gay couple by having a censored alternative version of it released in China. But I just do not see them taking that risk.

KillBilly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

They'll have the scenes be unobtrusive so they can seamlessly edit them out for the Chinese theaters.

Arthur_Morgan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I support china for this.

Avatar image for deactivated-5da4168075532
deactivated-5da4168075532

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jgames: Ghostbusters was never gonna released in China because of negative depiction of Ghosts.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@killbilly: Nah, they will not show anything like Kissing or flirting and simply say there were gay in Interviews like what happened with Valkyrie in Thor Ragnarok and Wonder Woman. Then they will act Super proud that there is no longer LGBTQ discrimination

KillBilly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By KillBilly

@tobymaguire said:

@killbilly: Nah, they will not show anything like Kissing or flirting and simply say there were gay in Interviews like what happened with Valkyrie in Thor Ragnarok and Wonder Woman. Then they will act Super proud that there is no longer LGBTQ discrimination

One of the few times we've agreed on something. Give me a moment to re-examine my morales.

Heatforce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well judging by the comments it's nice to see the common theme is that Chinese censors suck. Oh and also the human rights abuses...those too 😬

Jgames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Loading Video...

I thought this video was a bit interesting.

Jgames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Jgames
@tobymaguire said:

@jgames: Ghostbusters was never gonna released in China because of negative depiction of Ghosts.

Yeah I keep forgetting that XD. Nothing superstition for some stupid reason, but they do make exception sometimes like Coco. Also Green Book was allowed in China uncensored I believed despite one of the character being gay because it was seen as a China accomplishment since they had some investment on it and it won best picture. So in other word, yes there is a rule they have, but it is more of a recommendation which they can follow base on their discretion.

Also agreed with MCU just taking the safe route of just gaining brownie point by confirming someone sexuality off-screen.

Tomkatie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

They'll have the scenes be unobtrusive so they can seamlessly edit them out for the Chinese theaters.

Pretty much this

The closest thing we’ll see to an LGBTQ+ romance in MCU (and after Aquaman, possibly DCEU) movies will be someone going on a mission, and another person of the same sex tells them to “come home safe”. They share a glance. China edits it out or explains it away. Tumblr fanfics go crazy.

BlessedbyHorus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

RBT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Why am I not surprised people are siding with China on this? Bigotry makes you do weird things.

Emperorb777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Emperorb777  Online

With WB not releasing Joker in China because they aren't willing to censor the film, I don't think WB cares. If they have any homosexuality in future films I doubt they'll censor it, Disney for sure will censor though, they have no balls.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

With WB not releasing Joker in China because they aren't willing to censor the film, I don't think WB cares. If they have any homosexuality in future films I doubt they'll censor it, Disney for sure will censor though, they have no balls.

Joker was never gonna release in China because of the films anti establishment message and criminal behavior if hero so WB really never had to worry about China. It is WB that is tied up with Tencent, Legendary, Wanda and other Chinese medias not Disney.

Both Disney and WB get their script checked by Chinese censors before they get project approved.

Avatar image for universeichigo1
universeichigo1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I really don't want to say what is on my mind now.

Arthur_Morgan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rbt: bigotry?

Just another word invented that means nothing.

forcing gay shit into ppl is a weird thing.

I wonder if there is a word for that , too.

MainJP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

What do you mean by this?

Arthur_Morgan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mainjp: i mean , nowadays it means shit becouse such words are only used to quickly label some1 as something.

he probably thinks i dislike gay ppl just becouse i said i support china for this.

But i dont dislike gay ppl , i dislike specific acts done by them and my reason is more than justified.

Avatar image for onlyoneempereor
OnlyOneEmpereor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nn5 said:

Maybe they make censored version for China, without some scenes.

RBT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

There's no such thing as bigotry? You say that you don't have any problem with gay people, but you are in agreement with censoring and/or banning movies/shows that have gay characters. That's justified to you?

jojjimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Arthur_Morgan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Arthur_Morgan

@rbt: when they make a full on gay movie i have no problem with it.

but stop forcing gay acceptence into everything.period.

there is a trans superhero even iirc.

if that is not forced than idk what it is.

i mean if some1 in puplic says he doesnt like gay ppl he gets trashed for it.

jojjimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mainjp: i mean , nowadays it means shit becouse such words are only used to quickly label some1 as something.

he probably thinks i dislike gay ppl just becouse i said i support china for this.

But i dont dislike gay ppl , i dislike specific acts done by them and my reason is more than justified.

Exactly...Just because i don't like watching gay people showing affection towards one another in public doesn't mean i hate them...it just makes me uncomfortable....he'll I'm still bothered that they took the two hotties in Marvel Runaways...and made them gay couple. even though in the Comics one of them isn't gay...but in today's world, to not agree with something automatically makes you a hatter/racist..or any of the "phobes"

Arthur_Morgan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jojjimbo: the problem is them forcing this lifestyle into our society.

if it comes naturaly than sure but stop forcing it into everything.

end of story.

MICKEY-MOUSE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

No. The Chinese will receive a different cut of the movie which is what is done all the time for different countries already.

Jgames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I remember Disney films got pulled out because of one of Scorsese movie Kundun. With Disney trying to appease them by saying they will cut advertisement and make sure it bomb. It took a while to be back on their good side,and this was at 1997. The fact that China market can affect what movies thet can make to a certain extent just feels weird.

jojjimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jojjimbo: the problem is them forcing this lifestyle into our society.

if it comes naturaly than sure but stop forcing it into everything.

end of story.

Couldn't agree with you more.

Avatar image for oswaldcobblepot
OswaldCobblepot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Based China.

Kevd4wg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Kevd4wg

Thank god for China. Don't know if I could handle it if God Forbid someone put a gay person in my superhero movie.

/s for the morons

Eminel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Content creators will auto-censor themselves to enter the chinese market. That's what the world is heading into unless companies unite against it which will never happen, money speaks louder, it's a capitalist world after all.

ourmanuel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

a lot of morons in this thread

Kirkseven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

''how can the MCU have LGBTQ?''

^ Well there's the problem.

Beyond_Dreams

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for benjamin_poindexter
Benjamin_Poindexter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nobody is forcing anyone into anything. You got a gun to your head?

RBT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So, there shouldn't be gay characters in superhero movies, is what you mean to say? If gays, or anyone else, want to see a gay character, they should make a full on gay movie, but shouldn't put gay characters in straight superhero movies which straight people enjoy? Because watching a gay character on screen is same as forcing gayness on yourself.

At first, I thought you were trolling and having fun. Now I realise, you are just the run of the mill homophobe. Though you'll probably take being called homophobic as a compliment.

Tomkatie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

What, may ask, is a "full on gay movie"?

RBT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tomkatie said:
@arthur_morgan said:

What, may ask, is a "full on gay movie"?

A movie made by gay people, with gay people's money, for the gay people and should definitely not be a superhero movie.

tanhausergate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By tanhausergate

When I think of proper integration of LGBTQ characters I think of some aspects of early-Arrow (when Sara first dropped, Piper in Orange, or Cassidy in Preacher). We see scenes of them with their partner, their friends/loved ones accept them and love them, and they're treated as anyone else would. On the flip side, we have the CW playing incredibly shitty coffeehouse indie music during same sex scenes, and characters who literally have no redeeming qualities/are boring as hell about them except being gay (*ahem Alex Danvers). I want to see more LGTB characters in media and see their relationships and how it defines them, but if it becomes a horrible trope like on the CW where it feels like their dialogue are terrible Tumblr/Twitter posts I'd say the writers should revaluate their perspective. And this is coming from a bisexual.

I would love more characters to appear but I'm not confident in the abilities of most writers to define them. Its a weird issue for me, hmm.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

When I think of proper integration of LGBTQ characters I think of some aspects of early-Arrow (when Sara first dropped, Piper in Orange, or Cassidy in Preacher). We see scenes of them with their partner, their friends/loved ones accept them and love them, and they're treated as anyone else would. On the flip side, we have the CW playing incredibly shitty coffeehouse indie music during same sex scenes, and characters who literally have no redeeming qualities/are boring as hell about them except being gay (*ahem Alex Danvers). I want to see more LGTB characters in media and see their relationships and how it defines them, but if it becomes a horrible trope like on the CW where it feels like their dialogue are terrible Tumblr/Twitter posts I'd say the writers should revaluate their perspective. And this is coming from a bisexual.

I would love more characters to appear but I'm not confident in the abilities of most writers to define them. Its a weird issue for me, hmm.

Oh yeah not like the heterosexual romance in CW is any different

Arthur_Morgan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Arthur_Morgan

@rbt: homophobic.

yet another word used to just label some1 as you prove it.

I already explained my view and its clearly not homophobic.

i dont even dislike gay ppl lmao.

Reading comprehension bro.

i would rather have a gay friend than a bad friend.

you literaly proved my point by replying to this post with the shit you said hahaha.

RBT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Pretty much. There are some characters who are gay and that's not their only defining quality. Sara is a great example as you said. As is Nyssa. Or Annisa from Black Lightning. Constantine. All gay characters. And great characters in general. (Also, I just noticed how there aren't many male gay/bisexual characters in CW)

I also agree about Alex. Literally every story around her has revolved around the fact that she's gay. I'm amazed at how well Supergirl has handled Nia Nal considering how poorly they handled Alex.

RBT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By RBT

@arthur_morgan said:

@rbt: homophobic.

yet another word used to just label some1 as you prove it.

I already explained my view and its clearly not homophobic.

i dont even dislike gay ppl lmao.

Reading comprehension bro.

i would rather have a gay friend than a bad friend.

you literaly proved my point by replying to this post with the shit you said hahaha.

Yes. There are no homophobic people in the world. And you most certainly, 100%, definitely aren't one. My bad.

Arthur_Morgan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Arthur_Morgan

@rbt: didnt say it doesnt exist.

its just YOU use it to just label some1.

in this case it is indeed an empty word.

i say i dont dislike gay ppl just some acts of them and you quickly label.

my point is proven.

Thank you and have a nice day.

RBT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rbt: didnt say it doesnt exist.

its just YOU use it to just label some1.

in this case it is indeed an empty word.

i say i dont dislike gay ppl just some acts of them and you quickly label.

my point is proven.

Thank you and have a nice day.

Yes, as I said, you are indeed not homophobic. At all.

Arthur_Morgan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rbt: glad we agree.

grappolo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Damm, way too many people would approve garbage Censorship from garbage china in this thread.

Jgames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I mean even if you don't want any gay people in your movie for some stupid reason, isn't the thought that movies are self-censoring for china a bit disturbing?