• 186 results
Avatar image for deactivated-5b17f1b84ea5f
Posted by deactivated-5b17f1b84ea5f (1752 posts) 10 months, 25 days ago

Poll: After Infinity War: Is the Dark Knight still the best CBM (214 votes)

Yes, of course! 52%
No it's not. 37%
Can't decide. 5%
5%

Yes it's been done to death but the question will always remain.

I still think TDK.

#1 Edited by Y2G (426 posts) - - Show Bio

Honestly I don’t think so. I don’t really let recency bias get to me and I think IW is pretty clearly the best ever all things considered.

#2 Posted by RogueDeWolff (602 posts) - - Show Bio

Isn't there already a really similar thread like this?

#3 Posted by k4tzm4n (41737 posts) - - Show Bio

In my opinion, yes, Dark Knight is a better film.

#4 Posted by Aka_aka_aka_ak (2918 posts) - - Show Bio

It hasn't been since Guardians Vol.1

#5 Posted by Chimeroid (9235 posts) - - Show Bio

The Dark Knight is still way better than IW. If only IW didn't fall back to the parodic humor with Bruce Banner throughout the movie. That broke the suspense, the flow of combat scenes, and it wasn't even funny. The rest was pretty damn good. IMHO, It goes TDR, TWS, Watchmen/IW

#6 Posted by RogueDeWolff (602 posts) - - Show Bio

Ironically, my viewing rate of MCU films dropped severely after Guardians Vol. 1.

#7 Posted by BruceVeidt (3570 posts) - - Show Bio

It is.

No CBM beats it so far.

Maybe later on one will, but curently, IW doesn't.

#8 Posted by Skrskr (3352 posts) - - Show Bio

Nope, infinity war got everything right

Action, comedy that was well timed and not overdone, suspense, not being afraid to kill characters in front of you, a great villain that was fleshed out pretty well for this being the movie that explains him.

It’s all opinion at the end of the day, but this is currently my favorite cbm.

Avatar image for firestormfate1919
#9 Edited by FirestormFate1919 (6216 posts) - - Show Bio

Definitely, The Dark Knight and the Nolan Trilogy in general remain the clear GOAT for me.

Infinity War was great though, definitely the best of the MCU.

Avatar image for ready_4_madness
#10 Posted by Ready_4_Madness (15427 posts) - - Show Bio

Look Infinity War was great but TDK is amazing, a tier or two above IW. IW couldn’t even get its pacing right.

#11 Posted by ThunderPrince (6934 posts) - - Show Bio

@skrskr said:

Action, comedy that was well timed and not overdone, suspense, not being afraid to kill characters in front of you, a great villain that was fleshed out pretty well for this being the movie that explains him.

#12 Posted by jashugan (6072 posts) - - Show Bio

pretty much. Thanos is nice but everything else was all over the place in the movie

#13 Posted by Saberscar223 (4361 posts) - - Show Bio

It wasn’t before

#14 Posted by Heatforce (5914 posts) - - Show Bio

Well for me it's watchmen so I can't vote :P

#15 Edited by lestrange (322 posts) - - Show Bio

It's still the king of CBM movies.

@jashugan said:

pretty much. Thanos is nice but everything else was all over the place in the movie

#16 Posted by Eobard21 (4702 posts) - - Show Bio

IW was amazing but tdk is something else

#17 Posted by RogueDeWolff (602 posts) - - Show Bio

Well for me it's watchmen so I can't vote :P

I wanted to say this, but I had trouble deciding between the two. Both were revolutionary genre-busters.

I think Watchmen managed to do a lot more unique and important things with superheroes than The Dark Knight even, like The Comedian being used by America as a tool of war against Vietcongs, or how the most powerful man in the universe has is incapable of love for humanity or anyone. To be fair, most of that rich storytelling is credited to the comic book, but the movie did an excellent job of adapting IMO, being as faithful as it possible could.

On the other hand, The Dark Knight has The Joker and an amazing performance by Heath Ledger, not to mention Harvey Dent's sympathetic tale as the two-faced hero. It can be a trying task to like the main characters of Watchmen because many of them are such a-holes (aside from Dan of course). The Dark Knight's characters, even The Joker, are a bit more relatable, I think - but that's probably only because Watchmen was a reflection of a much darker time during the Vietnam War, and right now, we're living in peacetime, an era that TDK better reflected.

Like I said, hard to choose.

#18 Posted by BruceVeidt (3570 posts) - - Show Bio

Good god, it is good to see the hype has not blinded everyone lol

#19 Posted by RogueDeWolff (602 posts) - - Show Bio

Good god, it is good to see the hype has not blinded everyone lol

Not everyone, no, but it's damn close. lol

#20 Posted by huthimamwa (2383 posts) - - Show Bio

It never was. And neither is IW

#21 Posted by phillip33 (3933 posts) - - Show Bio

still TDK, IW for a close second though.

#22 Posted by g2_ (11294 posts) - - Show Bio

It has been beaten a long time ago.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ba513314c41c
#23 Edited by deactivated-5ba513314c41c (1099 posts) - - Show Bio

I used to think it was overrated but watching it a third time recently made me realise how much we took The Dark Knight (and sequels, and cast) for granted. But is it fair to throw TDK in with all the other CBM? TDK imo was film first, CBM second, everything else is the other way around. And that is why TDK is such a good movie. But also why TDK is not a good CBM. Heath Ledger was great. But not as the Joker, he just played some random psychopath with clown makeup on (but he played it really well). Joker in every other iteration in comics and beyond has had a direct obsession of Batman.

#24 Posted by GrImuS (287 posts) - - Show Bio

Dark Knight and TDKR for me. Almost cried like a bitch when Bane beat down Batman and at the end when everyone thought he died from the bomb

#25 Edited by BruceVeidt (3570 posts) - - Show Bio

@grimus said:

Dark Knight and TDKR for me. Almost cried like a bitch when Bane beat down Batman and at the end when everyone thought he died from the bomb

TDKR is VERY underrated.

#26 Posted by jashugan (6072 posts) - - Show Bio

making threads like these so close to when one movie releases is pretty bad. The latest story will suffer from recency bias.

#27 Posted by CitizenSurfer (2640 posts) - - Show Bio

This is an entirely subjective question.

#28 Posted by Worldofthunder (5055 posts) - - Show Bio

TDK is on a whole nother level than all other CBMs. IW wasn't so good, TBH. Thanos' motivation was lame as hell

Avatar image for charliechampion
#29 Posted by CharlieChampion (337 posts) - - Show Bio
#30 Posted by CitizenSurfer (2640 posts) - - Show Bio

TDK is on a whole nother level than all other CBMs. IW wasn't so good, TBH. Thanos' motivation was lame as hell

Actually, his motivation was right as rain and before you call me a genocidal megalomaniac, I completely agree with his reasoning which is basically, too many people, not enough resources. Get rid of 50% of the people and you have an excess of resources.

#31 Edited by Worldofthunder (5055 posts) - - Show Bio
#32 Posted by BruceVeidt (3570 posts) - - Show Bio

True.

But if we look at unbiased opinions and reviews, TDK remains unbeatable.

#33 Posted by Saberscar223 (4361 posts) - - Show Bio

@worldofthunder: I think his motivation made sense. He wants to wipe out half the universe so they will not suffer from limited resources. He wants balance and he truly believes he is the only one with the will power to do the right thing

#34 Posted by CitizenSurfer (2640 posts) - - Show Bio

@citizensurfer said:

True.

And what gives us the ability to see what is bias and what is not?

#35 Posted by Jexsu (1268 posts) - - Show Bio

We all know that Infinity War happened the way it should have gone, because the Russo Brothers know exactly how to make good MCU films. They have not broke the trend of making an amazing movie and movie experience. With that said, Infinity War is exactly how I envisioned it to go. I loved it. It kept my heart pumping the entire way. In my honest opinion, The Dark Knight has been collecting dust since it first came out; Infinity War is a million times out of its league.

#36 Edited by MonsterStomp (36709 posts) - - Show Bio

I think an argument can be made for either film.

However, I will say Infinity War is the best CBM since The Dark Knight.

And I was a huge fan of Logan too.

#37 Posted by Worldofthunder (5055 posts) - - Show Bio

@saberscar223: I know what his motivation was but I thought it was pretty lame. I didn't like his motivation and I couldn't really connect with him properly since he wasn't an Avengers villain due to him having personal ties with them, but instead because he had crazy plans and the Avengers wanted to stop him. I loved Killmonger as a villain because of his connection to Panther. To me, Thanos seemed more like just another powerful maniac even though he was menacing, tbh.

#38 Posted by silkyballfro94 (8673 posts) - - Show Bio

Yes.

#39 Posted by BruceVeidt (3570 posts) - - Show Bio

@bruceveidt said:
@citizensurfer said:

True.

Actually it's not subjective.

Had the question been about wheter it is still your favorite CBM, then yes.

But the question is wheter it is the best CBM.

Even if X movie is your favorite, you can still accept there are better movies. Interstellar is my all time favorite, but there are many much better films.

And we can't determine wheter someone is biased or not. However, look at Rotten Tomatoes (not the tomatometer, tha actual score), it is lower than many MCU movies, and definately lower than TDK. Keep in mind they rate MCU movies pretty high.

Then look at Chris Stuckman's review. He gave it a B+. This is the guy that gave many bad MCU movies an A- or A.

And that's just 2 examples.

#40 Posted by Amcu (16248 posts) - - Show Bio

The Winter Soldier is already better imo. I'm not sure where to rank Infinity War. It's certainly one of the best but I can't say if its as good as the Dark Knight or the Winter Soldier yet.

Also this is a totally subjective question.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b2121a0a9a00
#41 Posted by deactivated-5b2121a0a9a00 (10000 posts) - - Show Bio
Avatar image for charliechampion
#42 Posted by CharlieChampion (337 posts) - - Show Bio

@skrskr said:

#43 Posted by loyngulpany (2596 posts) - - Show Bio

@bruceveidt: There's no bad MCU movies. Their weakest films are all decent to average. Chris Stuckmann is entitled to his own opinion. Damn he even gave Tomb Raider (2018) a B which is an awful movie. Heck even Jeremy Jahns said that GOTG Vol.2 is a good time when you're drunk. I haven't watched Sean Chandler and TheFlickPick's review yet so yeah.

#44 Posted by the_red_viper (12575 posts) - - Show Bio

@citizensurfer said:

This. It's like apples and oranges. Both movies are so different from one another. IW is the best MCU film in my opinion though.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ae6527167c26
#45 Posted by deactivated-5ae6527167c26 (2058 posts) - - Show Bio

Logan>TDK>CW

#46 Posted by JediXMan (42413 posts) - - Show Bio

Yes.

Moderator Online
#47 Posted by BruceVeidt (3570 posts) - - Show Bio

@bruceveidt: There's no bad MCU movies. Their weakest films are all decent to average. Chris Stuckmann is entitled to his own opinion. Damn he even gave Tomb Raider (2018) a B which is an awful movie. Heck even Jeremy Jahns said that GOTG Vol.2 is a good time when you're drunk. I haven't watched Sean Chandler and TheFlickPick's review yet so yeah.

@citizensurfer said:

Then what's the point of this thread?

OP should be changed to wheter it remains your favorite or not.

Because objectively speaking, every rating website and reviewer ranks it lower than TDK. Only SOME people in this website rank IW higher.

If you say "well everyone is entitled to their own opinion" then this thread is pointless and should be locked.

#48 Posted by CitizenSurfer (2640 posts) - - Show Bio

@citizensurfer said:
@bruceveidt said:
@citizensurfer said:

True.

Actually it's not subjective.

Had the question been about wheter it is still your favorite CBM, then yes.

But the question is wheter it is the best CBM.

Even if X movie is your favorite, you can still accept there are better movies. Interstellar is my all time favorite, but there are many much better films.

And we can't determine wheter someone is biased or not. However, look at Rotten Tomatoes (not the tomatometer, tha actual score), it is lower than many MCU movies, and definately lower than TDK. Keep in mind they rate MCU movies pretty high.

Then look at Chris Stuckman's review. He gave it a B+. This is the guy that gave many bad MCU movies an A- or A.

And that's just 2 examples.

No Caption Provided

That score?

No Caption Provided

Or this score?