About Star Trek...

Avatar image for supermanwithatan01
Supermanwithatan01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I'm recently getting into Star Trek and I believe I need some help.

So I've finished all of:

- Star Trek the Original Series

- Most of the movies, but Vogage home, Generations and one other I don't remember.

- Voyager

- Next Generation.

I tried, multiple times, but could not get into Deep Space Nine.. just couldn't get hooked.

I'm almost ashamed to say it but I believe Voyager is my favorite of the serieses because it's not as heavy as NG and not as cheesy as OS.

I think Picard is my favorite of the Captains because he seems the most like an actual Captain to me. He's clever, wise, tactical, a skilled fighter based on stories, and has the most charisma. Kirk is a close second but I'd be more inclined to follow Picard anywhere.

Any takes? Interesting episodes I should re-watch? Interesting facts that would be cool to know? Help getting in to Deep space Nine? Opinions on Captains??

Optimism for Discovery?

JediXMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#2 JediXMan  Moderator

You should revisit DS9. How far into it did you get?

Supermanwithatan01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

JediXMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By JediXMan  Moderator

@supermanwithatan01 said:

@jedixman: 5 episodes

Keep going. I liked it, but it gets better after the first season. Honestly, the show hits its stride at the beginning of season 3, which is when the series-long arc begins.

JediXMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 JediXMan  Moderator
Supermanwithatan01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jedixman: thank you, I shall! I realized I have like 3 "go to" shows (Star Trek, Avatar the Last Airbender, and Archer) when I can't find anything to watch or I'm disinterested. Decided to get a bit more into Star Trek, but I'll admit I was semi-annoyed with Voyager and the borg stuff after awhile, and Next Gen was too serious for its own good too often which didn't stop it from being great, but made it more difficult to watch when I'm sort of wanting something light. That's my concern with Deep space nine I believe

JediXMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By JediXMan  Moderator

@supermanwithatan01:

DS9 can be light sometimes, but if you don't like dark stuff, DS9 might not be good for you. DS9 is essentially the dark side of Star Trek. But it's also heavy on the interpersonal relationships. It has some of the best and natural dialogue in the series. Odo is one of my favorite Trek characters now.

Erik_Soong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jedixman: Thank you for the tag.

I have been watching since I was old enough to stand. I was originally a hardcore TNG fan but I have broadened my love to include more. Voyager was something I had many problems with when I was younger. I just recently rewatched the entire series and I have to say, I loved it. DS9 was brilliant except for the final season, where it was clear that they had received word that they were cancelled. ENT is the underdog IMO. I think it is fantastic. I just finished rewatching that as well.

I love me my ST.

Supermanwithatan01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jedixman: I don't mind the dark stuff so much, I think I just had interest before getting into NG (hearing raves about Picard and Q and Data basically unanimously), and Voyager (Seven, Doctor, Cap Janeway and how it's different from the Next Gen yet it works), and the Original series (Kirk, McCoy and Spock lol need I say more). Deep space nine I've never really heard of anyone or had them mentioned in relation to standouts as much as the others. I wi give it a shot and watch it on a binge this weekend and hopefully get hooked!

Supermanwithatan01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

JediXMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 JediXMan  Moderator

@jedixman: I don't mind the dark stuff so much, I think I just had interest before getting into NG (hearing raves about Picard and Q and Data basically unanimously), and Voyager (Seven, Doctor, Cap Janeway and how it's different from the Next Gen yet it works), and the Original series (Kirk, McCoy and Spock lol need I say more). Deep space nine I've never really heard of anyone or had them mentioned in relation to standouts as much as the others. I wi give it a shot and watch it on a binge this weekend and hopefully get hooked!

Ahh. See, I think this is your problem.

About a year ago (maybe a bit more), I decided to finish TNG. I watched the Star Trek shows in their proper order. I watched TNG until Chain of Command, then season 1 of DS9, finished TNG, finished DS9, and then watched Voyager. Now I'm watching Enterprise. You get more of an attachment in this order - at least I did.

@jedixman: Thank you for the tag.

I have been watching since I was old enough to stand. I was originally a hardcore TNG fan but I have broadened my love to include more. Voyager was something I had many problems with when I was younger. I just recently rewatched the entire series and I have to say, I loved it. DS9 was brilliant except for the final season, where it was clear that they had received word that they were cancelled. ENT is the underdog IMO. I think it is fantastic. I just finished rewatching that as well.

I love me my ST.

Of course I would. You're the only other Star Trek fan I know here.

Erik_Soong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

My favorite main characters (in no particular order):

• Spock
  • Leonard McCoy
  • Jean-Luc Picard
  • Data
  • Worf
  • Odo
  • Quark
  • Jadzia Dax
  • Janeway
  • Doctor
  • B'Elanna Torres
  • 7 of 9
  • Tuvok
  • Neelix
  • Johnathan Archer
  • T'Pol
Supermanwithatan01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jedixman: thank you, I'll do that. I appreciate the order!

Erik_Soong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@erik_soong: how would you rank them? And fav Cap?

It's hard to rank them, really. They each bring something new to the table. TNG used to be #1 without question but it has fallen somewhat. It honestly has aged quite poorly.

The same can be said about the captains. They each bring something different that makes them well-loved. Picard was very focused on diplomacy, Archer carved the path that everyone else would follow, Sisko was incredibly passionate, Kirk was dramatic, Janeway was a blend of many of the others with a certain strength.

Erik_Soong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Also, you might have noticed my name is based on ST.

JediXMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 JediXMan  Moderator

Alright, I'll bite.

Favorites, in no order:

Original:

• Spock
  • Bones

TNG:

• Picard
  • Data
  • Worf
  • La Forge

DS9:

• Odo
  • Garak
  • Dukat
  • Bashir

Voyager:

• The Doctor
  • Seven of Nine
  • Chakotay
  • Janeway

Enterprise:

• Phlox
  • T'Pol
  • Tucker
  • Hoshi
Supermanwithatan01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@erik_soong: I did haha and I agree. Picard is my favorite, granted I've not watched DS9 or enterprise yet. Like you said he's diplomatic but I also find the daring, wily-side of him intriguing and I don't feel like he's lacking in any category. He's the general, the archetect and he's self aware. I think he's the wisest, and if it's the end of the world I see him as the ice water in his veins Cap. Lol sorry for the rant

Supermanwithatan01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jedixman: I agree with all of those. Thanks for the list!

JediXMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 JediXMan  Moderator

For me:

1. Picard
  2. Kirk
  3. Jameway
  4. Sisko
  5. Archer

Jameway took some time to grow on me. Sisko... I don't know. He just never became my favorite. I find Archer rather bland so far.

Erik_Soong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jedixman said:

I find Archer rather bland so far.

You wound me.

Supermanwithatan01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Anyone like the newer movies? Kirks a bit too serious for my taste and he doesn't have the swagger that original series Kirk had in spades, but I don't hate them.

JediXMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 JediXMan  Moderator

@jedixman said:

I find Archer rather bland so far.

You wound me.

Maybe I just need to watch more Enterprise.

Anyone like the newer movies? Kirks a bit too serious for my taste and he doesn't have the swagger that original series Kirk had in spades, but I don't hate them.

I'm probably in the minority, but the only one I like in the cast is Karl Urban as Bones.

Supermanwithatan01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jedixman: didn't like the casting or the way their characters are written?

JediXMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 JediXMan  Moderator

@supermanwithatan01:

In some cases, it was both. I'm a fan of Zachery Quinto, but I hate his spoke. I think he's too emotional. When I look at them, I see poor imitations. When I look at Karl Urban, though, I see McCoy.

Supermanwithatan01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

JediXMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 JediXMan  Moderator
Supermanwithatan01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jedixman: lol they should have kept his as John Harrison and he would have been a solid new character but compared to what he was supposed to be and was originally, they changed too much. Imo

Erik_Soong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I love the new movie franchise. I just watched them when Beyond was released (bought the digital bundle, meaning I bought yet another ST movie in multiple formats lol) and again last week. The companion series was good but I haven't read it in a while. They might have cancelled it.

Orange_Water

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nice to see people getting into Star Trek in my opinion TNG was the best Picard is the best captain and Data is my favorite character throughout the entire series. The new movies not so much sure they have a great cast and fantastic special effects but it hardly feels like Trek without the diplomancy and the complicated future science thing they do. In the movies it's all just sort of action like a modern day action blockbuster there's nothing really behind it.

Erik_Soong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@orange_water: I can't say that I agree with that assessment. Star Trek: Beyond was praised as being, thematically, very much like TOS.

Gracetrack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Gracetrack

Huge Star Trek fan here. I agree that you should try to at least make it through season one of Deep Space Nine.

It's a very "slow burn" kind of show to start, but really picks up a bit in season two. The character development is excellent, and is probably its saving grace. Just takes a while for it to get there.

My fave series in order:

1.TNG (easily)

2.Enterprise

3.Voyager

4.DS9

5.Original Series

Favorite captains:

1.Picard

2.Kirk

3.Archer

4.Janeway

5.Sisco

Oh, and I love the newer movies with Chris Pine as Kirk. I've never understood why some Trek fans hate them so.

Gracetrack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Gracetrack

Favorite characters:

TOS: Kirk, Spock, Scotty

TNG: Everyone minus the Crushers.

DS9: Garak, Odo, Worf, Bashir, Quark

Voyager: Doctor, Tuvok, Janeway

Enterprise: Flox, Archer, Trip, Malcolm

Avatar image for majinblackheart
MajinBlackheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 58

User Lists: 7

#33 MajinBlackheart  Moderator

I noticed you haven't watched Enterprise. You should do that.

I also could not get into DS9. I heard the same thing about it getting better but still haven't taken the time to watch.

Erik_Soong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm about to run through TOS now. Pray for me.

Supermanwithatan01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@orange_water: @jloneblackheart: @erik_soong: @jedixman:

wanted you guys to know i am nearly finished Deep Space nine and I'm glad I did!

oddly enough Quarks my favorite character but I'm soo glad and have a new appreciation for Commander Worf!

As as it stands my facorite of the shows:

1) Star Trek Voyager

2) Next Generation/Original Series

3) Deep Space Nine

4) Enterprise but only because I've not gotten passed season 1!

favorite characters:

1) Picard all day

2) Kirk

3) Janeway

4) Quark

5) Data

Avatar image for majinblackheart
MajinBlackheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 58

User Lists: 7

#36 MajinBlackheart  Moderator

@supermanwithatan01: I still need to check out DS9, where did you watch it? I'm especially intrigued now because I can't imagine liking a Ferengi!

Supermanwithatan01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jloneblackheart: lol I believe it I was the same way! I was annoyed by them because they sort of looked fierce but they weren't much more than comic relief goof characters. Quark, his brother, and his nephew Nog all have substance! Something about them grows more and more interesting imo

Netflix is where I am watching it I've got a little to go but I'm nearly done. Just 1 season to go!

_Gaff_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

You like Voyager over DS9

Image result for star trek gif

Orange_Water

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Orange_Water

@supermanwithatan01: how in the hell did voyager get above TNg and the original series lol? Data is the best though.

Supermanwithatan01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@orange_water: @_gaff_: haha I know... the quality of the other shows is better. The characters from TNG are the best imo, but something about how Voyager was lighter and goofier, yet still having solid storylines and besides getting annoying with the borg and overrated a bit, I find it the most rewatchable.

I... I.. well.. it's hard to look myself in the mirror.

_Gaff_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@supermanwithatan01:

ehh, taste is subjective, But DS9 is great. If you ever get into DS9, see if you enjoy Babylon 5 as well.

Druzzie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Druzzie

If you watch Star Trek and want to get into DS9, then the best part to watch DS9 is the begining of Season 4, you won't know the characters right away but the intro of Worf will smooth out the transition. Then when you start to get reference from before, your intrest in season 1-3 will happen and thus you will watch those, however Season 4 is where it really hit it's stride. It was also suppose to be a jumping on point for TNG fans.

Erik_Soong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers