Aaron Lopresti Talks Metamorpho in New DC's LEGENDS OF TOMORROW Series

inferiorego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 324

User Lists: 12

Edited By inferiorego  Staff

DC is expanding their universe on March 16 with the new LEGENDS OF TOMORROW series, which features stories about characters that aren't always in the limelight. Aaron Lopresti is writing and drawing stories that focus on the Element Man, Metamorpho. We talked to the writer/artist about the upcoming book and what we can expect from it.

No Caption Provided

Comic Vine: What's the Metamorpho story about?

Aaron Lopresti: This story centers around the Orb of Ra. What it really is, how it got in the lost Pyramid of Ahk-Ton and where it came from. Simon Stagg wants its unlimited power, Metamoprho wants it to change him back to human and Sapphire Stagg is torn between the two. It’s a big epic adventure that spans two worlds and finally clarifies just who is Metamorpho and how he fit in the bigger picture. It is also important to note that the character is being played straight in this new incarnation without the campy humor.

Is the story exploring any part of Metamorpho's past or origin?

The story extensively explores his origin using the original origin story from Brave and the Bold as a beginning platform. Everything is explained but I guarantee the story doesn’t go where anyone would expect.

Are the stories within this anthology building to anything bigger or are they just stand-alones?

If any of the characters in the anthology get a strong enough response we could see a possible ongoing series for any of them. Specifically with Metamorpho, this story sets up for much bigger things down the road not only for Metamorpho but for the DCU as well.

Are we going to see any other characters from the DCU popping in?

Only one. That would be the villain behind the scenes, who steps into the foreground rather quickly.

What is it that you like about this character?

Just his overall “weirdness”. My favorite DCU characters have always been the odd ones. I like the fact that he is like a monster version of Plastic Man, only with more versatile powers. I like the Beauty and the Beast dynamic he can have with Sapphire and the odd ball hero/villain relationship he has with Stagg’s henchman, Java the Ape Man.

No Caption Provided

Are there any standout moments or issues for you featuring Metamorpho?

I always liked the character from its earliest incarnations but it was the Giffen/DeMatties/Sears version of the character in Justice League Europe that really made me a fan.

Do you find writing and drawing the book to be a challenge?

Not really. I enjoy writing and drawing, it allows me to play to my strengths as a storyteller. It allows me to make changes on the fly that improve the story. Sometimes you don’t see the holes until you start drawing what you’ve written. There is always a bit of a challenge meshing your story vision with the parameters of a company owned character but that’s not unique to the writing/drawing dynamic.

Thanks to Lopresti for answering our questions and make sure to check out LEGENDS OF TOMORROW, featuring Metamorpho and others, when it goes on sale on Wednesday, March 16. Check out the rest of the preview below.

lagozzino

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 0

It is also important to note that the character is being played straight in this new incarnation without the campy humor.

Well... that's not what I really wanted to hear...

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#3 the_stegman  Moderator

Will this continue past Rebirth?

Comicman1000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sounds similar to "DC Presents" during the early days of the New 52. In my opinion, a series like this is extremely important.

Avatar image for fastestmanalive
Fastestmanalive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Fastestmanalive

Sounds really cool. I'll be picking this up.

Kid_jakeriv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Kid_jakeriv

Sounds similar to "DC Presents" during the early days of the New 52. In my opinion, a series like this is extremely important.

I agree. With all these series we need at least one that is about D-listers or heroes that can't support their titles on their own.

kalorama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By kalorama

When has Metamorpho ever really been played for "campy humor" (Aside from his stint in the DeMatteis/Giffen JL, where everyone was played for humor)?

I was really hoping that Metamorpho would get a brand new design when he was brought into the 52.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d2b83d5a0d79
deactivated-5d2b83d5a0d79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

zzzzzzzzzz

dernman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

@kalorama said:

When has Metamorpho ever really been played for "campy humor" (Aside from his stint in the DeMatteis/Giffen JL, where everyone was played for humor)?

I was really hoping that Metamorpho would get a brand new design when he was brought into the 52.

1. That's what I was thinking,
  2. Agreed. It's sorely needed,
dernman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

Agreed

NightFang3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#11  Edited By NightFang3

@comicman1000 said:

Hopefully it last longer than DC Presents.

DonFelipe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 8

This is just a one-shot anthology, right?

Hopefully, it'll be continued after Rebirth and it should remain a true anthology series with various short stories per issue, contrary to the New 52's DC Universe Presents volume that was just a series of mini-series and one-shots later on.

Bonzi161

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I read things with Metamorpho in hopes that one day Shift will come back

Nite_Nite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Another DC attempt at bringing unheard of characters to the spotlight by taking all the fun out of it and making them another serious, stoic forgettable person. Yep they definitely learned after n52

kalorama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By kalorama

Another DC attempt at bringing unheard of characters to the spotlight by taking all the fun out of it and making them another serious, stoic forgettable person. Yep they definitely learned after n52

Metamorpho is far from an "unheard of" character, and he's never been a particularly "fun" character in the sense that he was played for laughs a lot. He's never been a stereotypically "grim-n-gritty" character, but nothing I've seen/heard suggests he is here, either. But, for the most part, he's always been played straight. Even in the Giffen/DeMatteis JLE, he was often the foil while one of the other characters (often The Flash/Wally West, Elongated Man, or Animal Man) was the "funny" one.

I get the impression that Lopresti's take is pretty much in keeping in how the way the character has generally been presented in the past.

Nite_Nite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kalorama: he's unheard of dude just let it go. Never read his stories so the article gave me a different outlook than yours.

kalorama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By kalorama

@nite_nite said:

@kalorama: he's unheard of dude just let it go. Never read his stories so the article gave me a different outlook than yours.

Ah, I see. You're from the "my opinion is universal fact" school of posting. Therefore, because you've never read any of his stories he's an "unheard of character," despite having been around for 50 years, been on multiple Justice League and other teams, and appeared on multiple TV shows.

So, using your logic, because I've never read a Spawn comic, Spawn must be an "unheard of" character as well. I mean, that's how it works, right?

Also, if you've never read any of his stories then A) how do you "know" they're "taking all the fun out of it" and B) why do you care?

A more cynical person might assume that you're trollishly bashing DC out of reflex without any regard for/knowledge of the actual subject at hand. But that would be unheard of.

Nite_Nite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kalorama: Ahh' someone from the 'easily hurt tribe. I've had quite a few run-ins with you guys before. If you read my second sentence a bit more closely you'd see that it's an opinion. "Different outlook than yours." For guys who spend so much time writing id think you'd have some type of skill for context clues.

Yes many unheard of characters have been around for decades that's nothing new. If you find Spawn to be unheard of than that's your opinion although he's certainly not in black communities.

It's because he's unheard of that I've never read his stories, which added to what was written in the article leads me to believe he's being written as a dry character. Another one of DCs many dry characters post FP.

Why do I care? Because at a time where DC is attempting to push more unheard of characters into the open. I was interested in reading. That's like comic business 1o1. However the article sapped lots of interest.

Please try again