A few ways Avengers: Infinity War could FAIL!

solar_nerd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 11

Edited By solar_nerd
No Caption Provided

'Sup, guys?

Anyway, it's me again. And with the new trailer and poster for Avengers: Infinity War, I'm looking forward to the movie, but I've also been thinking of some things that could be its downfall. So here they are.

A Messy Plot

It's no secret that Avengers: Infinity War will have a plot that determines the future of the entire Marvel Cinematic Universe. But that means that the plot could be a hit-or-miss. It has been said that Infinity War will "pay off every major MCU thread and tease", which could mean that too many subplots could be intertwined into the movie.

Too Much Hype

People have been looking forward to Infinity War for years now. And while it's likely to at least be good, it could disappoint fans, similar to Star Wars: The Last Jedi (which I still loved, by the way).

Style Over Substance

A Wrinkle in Time had this problem when it was released a few weeks ago. Visually, it is said to have been entertaining, but the plot is nothing new. Infinity could have that same problem. The movie promises stunning visuals, but it's possible that under it may lie a much thinner product.

And finally, the most likely one.

Too Many Characters

Infinity War will not only include the Avengers, Guardians of the Galaxy, Doctor Strange and Spider-Man, but also an overwhelming climax of 40 superheroes. This could overstuff the movie and, ultimately, blow it up. This would be the Ultimate MCU downfall, and keep in mind, that's what AGE OF ULTRON was criticized for, and it didn't even have that many characters. All we have to do is hope and pray that the Russo Bros. know their onions, and that won't be a problem.

What do you think? Comment below.

jashro44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Too many characters is my biggest concern. This is the one time I'm hoping an MCU movie is lots of action.

GodSaveMeNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Pretty much agree with all the points especially the point about a messy plot and far too many characters.

The plot of such an epic movie that references other past movies' plots will be a big risk and will most likely be the first thing the critics will fire their guns at. How can you maintain a balance between an enjoyable standalone movie and a movie with references to other movies' plots that the general audience may not have watched? It is harder than it looks.

Too many characters is also a major potential problem if they decide to go with an ensemble cast. It is practically impossible to feature every main character in the MCU films. To prevent the movie from lacking character focus, they should focus on a few key characters but that leaves the risk of alienating the audience who wanted to see their favourite characters. If your favourite character is Starlord, would you be happy that he's just a cameo in that movie? (Oh wait, too late, I read on Wikipedia that Chris Pratt had confirmed that his role is a cameo). Again, a right balance must be found.

Avatar image for theamazingspidey
TheAmazingSpidey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

This could go wrong, but Marvel and the Russo Brothers have my faith. I'm just tempering my expectations - I know that not every character will interact with each other, I know some characters will get more screentime than others, and that's fine.

Amcu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jashro44 said:

Too many characters is my biggest concern. This is the one time I'm hoping an MCU movie is lots of action.

jashro44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@alex_odinson: Don't spam threads with bait comments like that. I've deleted your post.

Archangel01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

it will bomb

Avatar image for deactivated-5ad6141e8751d
deactivated-5ad6141e8751d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

it will be da bomb

EICHHOLTZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Presume good will. there are no doubt going to be some characters who get the short end of the stick. but the sheer scale of it makes the 10 year old version of myself do a freaking backflip.

I trust MCU at this point and just the spectacle of it all will be worth it. (and I have movie pass) so I have no choice not to go.

SuperHulk24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Too many characters and Iron Man pandering or what I'm worried about.

cattlebattle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I am sure the movie will have all those flaws but people will say it's great anyways.

solar_nerd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Outside_85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 1

All of it is a worry, or a potential one.

But I agree that the amount of characters is by far the most risky part of this. Like, I don't know if the runtime is 2 hours or more, but I certainly hope it is, otherwise some characters are going to be left out or simply appearing as a cameo. Plus, with this huge amount of people, only some of them is going to have an actual storyline in the movie; I am guessing its going to be BP, Cap, Tony, Thor and Spidey... maybe Quill, but the rest are just going to be tagging along, except Thanos ofc.

The one problem however I can already see them falling into is the over-reliance on CGI, I mean when I look at Thanos, I am looking at Gollum, meaning they look real, but there is that uncanny part of them that tells you they are not. And then there is the rather unpolished shots of Spiderman crawling around on the Wheel of Thanos which I think looks like it's from a videogame. JL got some stick for it's ugly, uncharacterized CGI Steppenwolf, and I worry that Infinity is heading right for the same.

solar_nerd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

madcrusher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

All of it is a worry, or a potential one.

But I agree that the amount of characters is by far the most risky part of this. Like, I don't know if the runtime is 2 hours or more, but I certainly hope it is, otherwise some characters are going to be left out or simply appearing as a cameo. Plus, with this huge amount of people, only some of them is going to have an actual storyline in the movie; I am guessing its going to be BP, Cap, Tony, Thor and Spidey... maybe Quill, but the rest are just going to be tagging along, except Thanos ofc.

The one problem however I can already see them falling into is the over-reliance on CGI, I mean when I look at Thanos, I am looking at Gollum, meaning they look real, but there is that uncanny part of them that tells you they are not. And then there is the rather unpolished shots of Spiderman crawling around on the Wheel of Thanos which I think looks like it's from a videogame. JL got some stick for it's ugly, uncharacterized CGI Steppenwolf, and I worry that Infinity is heading right for the same.

Great analysis, I hope Thanos is a combination of practical effect (Brolin in Thanos makeup) with CGI overlay for the sizing and to refine the facial features a bit to avoid the Steppenwolf problem. The Russos are good at mixing practical effects and CGI. The CGI in Winter Soldier and Civil War airport fight were good. Giant Ant-Man looked good as shit!

The word is the runtime is 2 hrs 37 minutes. I wish I'd be closer to 2 45 or 250 , even 3 hrs. For a story of this magnitude you want time to flesh out all the plot points coherently and keep the pacing at a consistent momentum to keep audience engaged. The DKR was like 245 and that flowed pretty well.

Amcu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@outside_85:

I don't know if the runtime is 2 hours or more,

According to Fandango it has a run time of 2 hours 36 minutes.

madcrusher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@amcu said:

@outside_85:

Yep that's where I saw it. Wish it was longer. Some of the highest grossing films of all time have been real long. Avatar was 2hrs42min and Titanic was over 3 hrs. If it's quality people will pay to see it over and over again regardless of length.

Amcu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

mickey-mouse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

Who’s man is this???

LawCol

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

They're giving themselves some breathing space by making it a two part and probably going to be longer than 2 and a 1/2 hours. If they can keep the plot cohesive and spread out when the characters make their appearances, then it can be done. My biggest worry is aside from Loki, the Vulture and Ego, I've found MCU's villains to be a really forgettable. Thanos is one of my all time favorites so I'm probably over-expecting.

Outside_85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 1

@amcu said:

@outside_85:

Yep that's where I saw it. Wish it was longer. Some of the highest grossing films of all time have been real long. Avatar was 2hrs42min and Titanic was over 3 hrs. If it's quality people will pay to see it over and over again regardless of length.

Well 2,5 hours is a good robust length, but ofc there is likely alot of stuff thats going to happen... and it's evident Marvel doesn't have a stupid beancounter like WB who sets very low limits on runtimes for big movies.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c830d4e319e6
deactivated-5c830d4e319e6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It won't. I waited too long for it to fail.

APEX_pretador

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

Haters gonna hate. Infinity War gonna stomp every record

RBT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Its not flopping, but it could under-perform.

BullPR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By BullPR

I'm really really trying to keep my expectations as low as possible because of the risk of disappointment.

But it is becoming harder and harder.

Royal_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Royal_Warrior

Lol people who think it'll be even below 2 bil box office are clueless

It'll have 1 billion in first 8 days

Avatar image for sophisticated_ignorance
Sophisticated_Ignorance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Is that what you DCEU fans have been reduced to? Shambles.

AbstractRaze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By AbstractRaze

The ones who are concerned about a great number of introduced characters, either wants hype around their favorite characters, more screen time, or better nothing, that's the typical tendency...

But relax, it's Disney in charge to do a great fanservice to you...

Disney will surrender to your desires and give your favorite characters an spectacular introduction with a lot of special effects.

The ones without the possibility to see their favorite characters in this movie, the only thing I have to say, is that....

with Disney's fanservice...

GodSaveMeNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

News have been reporting that the main focus of Avengers Infinity War will be on Thanos while the Avengers are kind of secondary characters relative to him. So it is very likely that many of the Avengers will be reduced to cameos with at best each given their own moment of awesome.

GeraltsOpinion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The good thing is they don't have to focus on each characters screen time. Everyone knows each character well already. They could just be in a small scene with action and satisfy the fans. They need to focus on Thanos and a few of the main avengers

Revan-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This is the climax of the MCU so the script was likely reviewed thousands of times.

Avatar image for thebestofthebest
ThEBeStOfTheBeST

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nah, it's going to be epic. I have faith.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ae4a3e17c71e
deactivated-5ae4a3e17c71e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It is making 1.3M+ at bare minimum.We foreign audiences don't mind plot much at all.Infact,even BvS was good business wise.As long as action and acting is intact,it is going to be record breaking.Even children who don't know much about superheroes,who only know Superman and Batman mostly,are super duper excited.The hype is just off charts.Even AoU which mostly had captain america with some IM action,had a very profitable run,very much.Now this movie,the kids are super excited to see the powerhouses in action.My little brother and kids in neighbourhood are hyped beyond limits to see Thor in action,see Hulk smash through anything.The hype is just not stopping.No way it is going to fail.No way.

This isn't Justice League.Unless Marvel tops that messing,IW isn't failing at all.

MAZAHS117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By MAZAHS117

I mean, anything is possible I guess. Tho I feel it’s highly unlikely it’ll fail. Have opportunities?..sure, no film is without them, but I’m expecting this film to kick our a$$e$$

AbstractRaze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By AbstractRaze

@mazahs117 said:

I mean, anything is possible I guess. Tho I feel it’s highly unlikely it’ll fail. Have opportunities?..sure, no film is without them, but I’m expecting this film to kick our a$$e$$

Disney's fanservice always kicks asses, to the point it reaches its fans in real life... you don't even need 3D glasses.

Avatar image for darkpsychiclord_prime
DarkPsychicLord_Prime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@superhulk24: According to an interview, the Russos said Thor will be the character with most screen time after Thanos.

Avatar image for deactivated-5faef67d08995
deactivated-5faef67d08995

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

It won't fail all the new fans from Black Panther plus the base it already had will set cords.

GoofTheFloof

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I agree with your points,

Chimeroid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

Let's get one thing straight. MCU Could just decide to delete the second half of the film and re-record it with a camera phone and draw stick figures instead of CGI and it will still make well over a billion. This movie is not failing whatever happens. And even if people don't like it (which i find unlikely) they will not hold resentment for future movies.

TheNoobStomper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't understand what kind of comic book fans fear "too many characters" in a movie like Infinity War. All i wish for is a coherent plot and some decent action.

Avatar image for lone_wolf_and_cub
Lone_Wolf_and_Cub

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Lmfao only delusional fanboys think this movie will fail. This movie will set records and be the highest grossing CBM of all time bank on it.

solar_nerd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By solar_nerd

I didn't expect this may comments. I agree with a lot of you that its most likely downfall will be too many characters.