Avatar image for theamazingspidey
TheAmazingSpidey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

Edited By TheAmazingSpidey

I am now overseas in Europe, and because I've been travelling so much I've been on a lot of airplanes so I caught the chances (and the excuses) to act lazy and to watch good movies. Because of that I chose to marathon the entire Dark Knight trilogy, which is held in high regard by comic book and film fans. A marathon which I hadn't done since... 2012, when The Dark Knight Rises hit theaters. Now that I've marathoned the series it really is a great trilogy! I understand why people like it now more than ever. Age has not been kind to Batman Begins, and even then the next 2 aren't perfect, but it's still amazing to see the way in which the themes, prevalent in all three, connect and develop. Christopher Nolan really pushed storytelling and intensity in atmosphere more than any other director in the comic book genre and really understands how to get into the heads of his characters, especially in The Dark Knight. And has cast amazing actors and actresses who step in the shoes of the great writing, shouldering the burden and bringing the characters to life. Here are my 8 favourite supporting characters of the trilogy in a particular order.

So,

No Caption Provided

8. Lucius Fox, played by Morgan Freeman

You just gotta love Morgan Freeman! Goyer and the Nolan brothers wrote Lucius Fox as a likeable and funny character ever since his first scene in the first film, but it's really Morgan Freeman that owns the character and brings him to life. He's both a smartass and smart, and although does not have such a dominant and consistent presence in the movies as I'd hoped, it's a pleasure to have him around to act cool and present all the assets to Bruce Wayne. I love how ever since his first scenes when Bruce Wayne tries to lie to Lucius about what he's using the assets and equipment for, he almost literally says, "You don't have to tell what you're using this stuff for, but don't think of me as an idiot" which is true. He also has a nice scene towards the end of TDK when he says that he'll be retiring if Bruce Wayne doesn't destroy the sonar after this "mission." Easily the funniest and coolest character in the series.

No Caption Provided

7. Commissioner James Gordon, played by Gary Oldman

I find Morgan Freeman's Lucius Fox more entertaining than Gordon, but because Gordon is more developed and present, I'm going to include him higher on this list! Gary Oldman is a really good actor and he really established James Gordon's personality. Which is more dry and less talkative... but the viewers never find him unlikeable because it fits more with his character! He has this really cool relationship with Batman that is shown in his subtle interactions and the things that he says about him. It's almost as if he admires Batman: as a symbol. Especially toward the end of The Dark Knight. In the final scene actually, when "Batman" drives off into the night taking responsibility for Harvey's crimes: and Commissioner is explaining it to his son. Even though I hate Gordon's family, they do make for some pretty emotional scenes in TDK. You really feel for Gordon throughout the trilogy (or should I say the former 2 films).

No Caption Provided

6. Henri Ducard, played by Liam Neeson

Even though Batman Begins has more than a handful of problems, it's worth watching not just for Morgan Freeman... but also for Liam Neeson! Neeson is really a great action star and has even turned in good performances in meh movies, and Batman Begins is not an exception. He's one of the trilogies most entertaining villains. He serves as Bruce Wayne's mentor in the earlier stages of Batman Begins, which are his finest moments: and it is great to see Liam Neeson play that role so good. Unfortunately, he's not as fun to see as a villain, but the plot twist when you find out that he is Ra's Al Ghul must've been shocking for fans. I forgot my reaction because I probably missed it back in 2005 being, you know, young, but I can imagine the surprise now. Neeson is just great!

No Caption Provided

5. Harvey Dent, played by Aaron Eckhart

Harvey Dent is really one of the series's most fascinating characters! Possibly 1st/2nd. He's also the most emotional. Seeing Harvey Dent's character arc and his descent to villainy in TDK is a landmark in comic book film history. Both frightening and interesting. Believe me, I remember seeing this in theaters, scared. He is a really tragic character who lost everything and everyone that matters to him (Rachel, half his face) pushing him to believe extremely irrationally and becoming a terrifying villain! TDK's third act shines, with Harvey Dent being one of the reasons why. It's not just the writing that is a pay off. Aaron Eckhart is just so damn good as a character you would've thought would be cheesy. He actually makes his sympathetic!

No Caption Provided

4. The Joker, played by Heath Ledger

Heath Ledger's casting as The Joker might've stirred up some concern because this movie actually came out for being young, attractive and y'know, all things of which the Joker isn't, and then he speaks his first lines and he has you thinking, "this is going to be AMAZING!!" Then it happens again and again in the film. The Joker is one of the most fascinating characters in cinema of the 2000s. The "some men just want to watch the world burn" motivation of the character is executed perfectly and writing wise, elevates the character beyond heights of superhero films. I even wrote a blog called Why The Dark Knight's Joker is the greatest CBM antagonist even though I should've also included that he's one of the greatest villains to even hit the big screen. Not only is the character masterfully written, it is brought to heights unexpected because of Heath Ledger, who received an oscar for his performance. It is a performance that is an amazing tribute for Mr Ledger.

No Caption Provided

3. Alfred Pennyworth, played by Michael Caine

I almost forgot Alfred because there are so many good characters in the trilogy but Alfred just has to be on this list. He's always spitting wisdom and most of the time... it makes absolute sense! Accept for that time where he, y'know, suddenly knows everything about Bane. But besides that tasteless story / design choice, Alfred has been nothing short of a father figure to Bruce Wayne, and to us. He has really good ways of explaining things and putting things to perspective & he helps Bruce Wayne to pick himself up. Just as he gives Bruce wisdom, he gives us wisdom too. I'm going to miss Alfred Pennyworth being the latest & recent interpretation of Alfred, and it'll be very, very, very hard for BvS's interpretation of the character to provide something just such as good as TDK's. Not because I have anything against Irons (I can't have something against someone I have seen nothing off) but because I am a Snyder skeptic!

No Caption Provided

2. Catwoman, played by Anne Hathaway

Catwoman above The Joker!!! and Alfred!! I know I know I'm a bit of a The Dark Knight Rises fanboy and it's hard not to be. Just as it is hard not to love Selina Kyle in The Dark Knight Rises, who is played by the amazing Anne Hathaway, a great actress! She's both flirtatious and quite heroic. She has greatly awesome scenes like the scene where she tricks the guy into "using the cellphone", and the "you don't owe these people any more" dialogue in TDKR. You even get the chance to hate her when she backstabs Batman and gets him beaten up, but then you like her again when she's redeemed. It's a shame CBMs don't experiment more with spin-offs (thanks for cancelling the Venom AND Sinister Six films: at least sony was encouraging spin offs =/) because a Catwoman spin-off starring none other than Anne Hathaway would have been perfect. I want her to be my waifu.

And second to none is.......

No Caption Provided

1. Bane, played by Tom Hardy

This is the role that introduced me to the amazing Tom Hardy. The voice which they teased in the trailers was enough to make us worry, but when you hear it in the final product, it is immensely epic and fitting of Bane's character: in this interpretation at least. No; he's not the series's strongest villain. That belongs to The Joker and Two Face... but Bane is my personal favourite! He completely destroys Batman in the film and then precedes to break his back, as if the plane scene wasn't enough awesomeness from Bane. The movie also succeeded in giving the character a backstory and humanity. And who better to embody the role than Tom Hardy!? He's great at acting even with his face obscured. It's a shame that his death is anticlimactic because the character is so intimidating. "Then I will break you" is easily one of my favourite lines. He says it so casually and surely: sorta like what Hardy did in "you keep moving" in Mad Max. He's really good in those lines.

Please feel free to share you're "your opinion is wrong and you should feel bad about it!" but before you do so, please include your own top side characters of the Dark Knight Trilogy. Agree to disagree but do not be aggressive please. Thank you for reading. Be sure to follow for more blogs (:

Avatar image for amazing_webhead
amazing_webhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 17

thank you for not putting Rachel anywhere on this list

TheAmazingSpidey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

thank you for not putting Rachel anywhere on this list

I have no respect for that clown!

Katie Holmes and Maggie Gyllenhaal both.

Avatar image for amazing_webhead
amazing_webhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 17

@theamazingspidey: that's an insult to clowns. and they get harped on enough as it is

TheAmazingSpidey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@theamazingspidey: that's an insult to clowns. and they get harped on enough as it is

I'd call her clown but even then that's too nice to be Rachel Dawes.

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#5 the_stegman  Moderator

Joker is number one in my book. And I'd put Gordon above Catwoman, otherwise, yeah, about right.

TheAmazingSpidey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By TheAmazingSpidey

Joker is number one in my book. And I'd put Gordon above Catwoman, otherwise, yeah, about right.

Well my list is very personified haha that's why most people probably won't agree with me. From a writing standpoint Joker is number one in my book too.

Black_Arrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

God this trilogy had so many good supporting characters.

Avatar image for quinnofthestoneage
QuinnoftheStoneAge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Great list, although I would probably put Gordon a bit higher up, also Tom Hardy <3

godzilla44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

TheAmazingSpidey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Great list, although I would probably put Gordon a bit higher up, also Tom Hardy <3

Tom Hardy is my husband-o

Feel free to list your own.

black_wreath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 109

Sweet list, Bane love always welcome.

Only thing I'd have done differently is made room for Scarecrow.

Black_Arrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

1. Bane (he was absolutely amazing, he took all of the attention towards him when he was on the screen and he had many powerful moments)

2. The Joker

3. Alfred

4. Two face

5. Gordon

6. Ra's

7. Lucius Fox

8. Catwoman

APEX_pretador

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#13  Edited By APEX_pretador

List is almost perfect, but I'll like to alter the ranking somewhat:

8. Fox

7. Catwoman

6. Gordon

5. Ras

4. Two-face

3. alfred

2. Bane

1. Joker (above bane veryyyyyy slightly)

Avatar image for manwhohaseverything
Manwhohaseverything

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'd have Bane about 5th. He'd be higher but not being able to understand everything he said does lose some points. Above him I'd put Joker, Alfred, Catwoman and Fox.

PenguinDust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#15  Edited By PenguinDust

I need to watch The Dark Knight Rises again. I remember feeling some disappointment the last time I saw it, but that was after marathoning through Batman Begins and The Dark Knight. I loved Anne Hathaway though and her Catwoman mostly redeemed the horrid 2004 movie. I agree with the above poster that Bane sounded like he had a mouth full of gumballs most of the time.

TheAmazingSpidey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'd have Bane about 5th. He'd be higher but not being able to understand everything he said does lose some points. Above him I'd put Joker, Alfred, Catwoman and Fox.

I struggled to understand what he said the first time around, then after I rewatched it a second and third time it's really simple. I like his voice.

I need to watch The Dark Knight Rises again. I remember feeling some disappointment the last time I saw it, but that was after marathoning through Batman Begins and The Dark Knight. I loved Anne Hathaway though and her Catwoman mostly redeemed the horrid 2004 movie. I agree with the above poster that Bane sounded like he had a mouth full of gumballs most of the time.

I've always loved the movie so I can't speak about my opinion revising, but it has happened to me with multiple other films. You should rewatch the film.

jb681131

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

@theamazingspidey : that's not hard, you've put all the main character exept batman.

"Dark Knight trilogy, which is held in high regard by comic book and film fans" - Sorry but i'm a fan of both dc books and films, and I didn't really like this trilogy. Burton films amazed me much more when they came out. I think the first movie has a bad story - too much focus on bruce and not batman !. That harvey dent / two-face in the second is borring and badly integrated in the movie. In the third you all know who lacked of good acting and I prefered the origin of bane in the books much more (that disapointed me). To me the books that inspired the movies are much better story wise : year one, long halloween, killing joke, vengence of bane, knigthfall, ...

For the rest, very good description of why you did those choises.

jayc1324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Awesome job.

TheAmazingSpidey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jb681131 said:

@theamazingspidey : that's not hard, you've put all the main character exept batman.

"Dark Knight trilogy, which is held in high regard by comic book and film fans" - Sorry but i'm a fan of both dc books and films, and I didn't really like this trilogy. Burton films amazed me much more when they came out. I think the first movie has a bad story - too much focus on bruce and not batman !. That harvey dent / two-face in the second is borring and badly integrated in the movie. In the third you all know who lacked of good acting and I prefered the origin of bane in the books much more (that disapointed me). To me the books that inspired the movies are much better story wise : year one, long halloween, killing joke, vengence of bane, knigthfall, ...

For the rest, very good description of why you did those choises.

People write blogs that are read by people on here ever day. I was not aware it was an essay.

But if I'm being marked then I might as well try and answer your... evaluation.

You can try nitpicking my exact words, but Begins scored a "94%" audience score on RT, then The Dark Knight also got a "94%", and The Dark Knight Rises got a "90%" Audience Score. Most people like the films. The Dark Knight for sure is universally loved! I've said / heard of many people who have said that The Dark Knight is their favourite film ever! As for your critique of the three films they're not really... critique. You do not like the films that is perfectly fine: but care to explain why? The first movie has a bad story but why? I agree with you in a sense, that storytelling hasn't aged very well. But Two Face in the second film I thought was perfectly integrated! He really gives the movie thematic depth. Not a comic book fan so I won't bother arguing with you on the lore details.

Alright, thank you! So how much do I score... 5... 6... a generous 7? :D

TheAmazingSpidey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for the_agent_of_chaos
The_Agent_Of_Chaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points