• 57 results
inferiorego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 324

User Lists: 12

Edited By inferiorego  Staff

As many people my age, my work history is a collection of weird, spur-of-the-moment jobs I took just because I needed to make money. Before I got into my career as a writer and journalist, I had quite a few part time jobs in high school and through college: movie theater idiot employee, pizza delivery scumbag driver, toy store "manager," and I even worked at a arcade, fixing games and yelling obscenities because I didn't have electrical training.

One job I worked through during my college years and still work at once a year (James Brown Christmas Eve as I call it) is at a local comic shop. It's the job I've stunk at the least, aside from maybe this one. However, my first few weeks, I realized the job was nothing like I expected. Working at a comic book shop, and even a chain comic shop like I did, was different that a lot of retail experiences I had. While most people walk into a comic shop and think it's going to be a lot like Comic Book Guy on the Simpsons, it really isn't like that at all. In my years of working at the store, I learned there are a ton of thing quite different about this place.

7. Pre-ordering Comics is the Most Important Thing in the World

No Caption Provided

Before I started working at my local shop, I had a pull list with about 10 books on it. I rarely changed up my pull list or added or dropped things. If I was interested in an upcoming book, I'd never pre-order and just check it out when it came out. Many times, because I visited my store on Saturdays, I'd miss out on a lot of books. When I started working at my LCS and saw "how the sausage was made," I became a dude who pushed pre-ordering books on everyone.

Pre-orders gauge how many comics are ordered for the shelves. If 50 people pre-order a book, we're going to order more for the shelves than a book that go 5 pre-orders. While I ever actually did the ordering because I was obviously not the manager, it's a pretty easy concept to understand. Sure, we can special order books for customers from our other stores in the chain, but in order to guarantee customers get the books they want, they need to pre-order it.

If you take anything from this list of things, please take away the fact pre-ordering comics is something you have to do to help your LCS, publishers, and creators. It's super-easy and super-helpful.

6. There's No Time to Stand Around and "Read Comics"

Photo Credit: Marjory Collins/Library of Congress
Photo Credit: Marjory Collins/Library of Congress

I had no delusions about taking on this job when I started. I didn't imagine my work days to consist of me basking in the glory of thousands of comics and reading anything I wanted to until the store closed for the evening. It's a job, and a retail job to boot, so I knew there was going to be a lot of daily tasks.

However, what I didn't realize is that the day-to-day tasks would be a bit more demanding than other retail jobs I had in the past. In no way am I going for the "woe is me" angle, since this is a job and every job is tough. However, when working at a comic book store, there's a lot to do. Aside from just keeping the store straightened and clean, so you don't look like slobs, there's a lot of counting... tons. You gotta know the numbers for what you're selling and on what week, after coming out, that they're selling the most. In addition, it's also keeping track of inventory to see what hot books are flying off the shelf, without being paid for. Stealing doesn't happen that much though.

Without getting too into the whole "what did I do every day of work," I will say that every workday was pretty packed with tasks and routine, and all of it was mindless work, which was actually pretty nice. In the 6 years of working at my LCS, I read two comics during work. In both cases, my boss told me I had to check out a certain issue.

5. Every Repeat Customer had an Unclever Nickname

No Caption Provided

Working at a comic shop is unlike any other retail job I ever had because both you and the customers had a specific weekly routine. There were certain customers that came at specific times, every week, to the point where I would have their pull list, in hand, seconds before they entered the store. When you come into the store a lot, you get a nickname. Sadly, none of them were clever... none of them.

The first nickname for a customer that comes to mind is "Thor Guy." Guess what he liked? Yeah, it didn't get more creative than that. There was GI Joe Guy, Wolverine Guy, Sonic Girl, Buffy Girl, and even Art Adams Guy. We defined all of our repeat customers by what they liked. There were a couple folks that stood aside from that like Cop Bob, Comedian Bob, and Talky Mike, but again, there was nothing incredibly special about those names. And for all we know, they could be 1920s mobsters over comic store patrons. The tradition of bad nicknames started before I became an employee and went across numerous stores. That little nugget of info is real interesting, right? Well, how about this...

4. You'll Talk to Some of the Coolest People You've Ever Met

Cosplaying as Young Justice=Cool
Cosplaying as Young Justice=Cool

Without a doubt, some of the coolest people I've ever met in my life, I met at the comic shop I worked at. People that came in were generally awesome folks that I enjoyed talking to and they helped move the day along pretty well. Fans love talking about their favorite characters, their favorite movies, or even their favorite video games ad the vast majority of people I talked to at the shop were awesome.

Even with forums and message boards being the place people go most of the time to chat about their passion, comic shops still hold this special place in their hearts as a place to go and chat with like-minded folk. That, combined with weekly routine created lots of great moments, like a little thing we called "Matturday," where three customers named "Matt" (Mat, in my case) would spend Saturday afternoons discussing 80s movies, cartoons, and everything in between.

I have a group of friends I still talk to on a regular basis that I met while working at the shop. Usually, it's a pretty positive place and the folks that come into the shop are fantastic people. Sadly, there are not many memorable stories of some of the great conversations or moments from my tenure there because all the bad times stick out so much more...

3. You'll Talk to Some of the Worst People You've Ever Met

I'll let this picture of me in a Brave wig, made for a 5 year old, represent the concept of terrible people...
I'll let this picture of me in a Brave wig, made for a 5 year old, represent the concept of terrible people...

Without a doubt, some of the worst people I've ever met in my life, I met at the comic shop I worked at. The idea of the "Angry comic book nerd" does exist in the wild, and it's a unwieldy beast. Fanaticism can be a dangerous thing. As you've probably saw on the Internet, at any given time, some types of personalities on the net are just the worst. I'd like to point out that it's not just comic book readers. Fanatics of all types are terrible human beings. However, did you know those horrible people sometimes leave their house? It's true! It's true! Now, horrible customers were few and far between. I jokingly used to say it was an 80/20 mix. 80% of our customers were awesome and 20% were awful. Looking back, I'd say, at most, 2-3% of the people that came in were nightmares.

Every story I have from working at the comic shop is a bad one because stories about someone being awesome aren't as interesting as someone being awful. What makes for a more interesting story? The time a customer helped me with my car or the time a customer berated me for not opening up the shop early? While I could easily tell lots of stories about being belittled by the common man, I'll just give you guys one:

A couple years back, in fact, this may have been last year but I can't remember, I was working a weekend shift and filling in for a friend. It was a normal Saturday and we had a few people in the store, checking stuff out. I noticed one gentleman, in his 40s, in the back, reading comics. Now, we have a strict policy against reading books in the store. You want to look through them quickly to see if it's for you? No problem, but reading books is taking money out of the store's pocket. I walked up to him and politely said to him something like this "Hey, if you want to look through the books to check them out, that's cool, but we'd appreciate it if you didn't read them." He complied and kept looking around. After a few more customers came into the store, including quite a few regulars, he strutted up to the counter, where I was standing, and said in a booming voice:

"You don't tell me what to do. You know what you lost? You lost a $25 sale on Magic cards! (He never looked at the Magic cards by the way) You think you're a big shot because you work at this s***hole? You're pathetic. How does that make you feel to be a loser working in a comic book store?"

Now, at the time, I was mainly working in the English department of a local college and working here. Regardless, making fun of someone's job is the 2010s equivalent to calling someone a virgin online: a pointless and laughable endeavor. However, as he berated me using the 34 words he knew in a variety of combinations simply because I asked him not to read a comic book, the rest of the customers in the shop were watching him. He stormed off after telling me he was going to get me fired by calling the owners and as he opened the door to leave, before he even get out the door, the other customers erupted in laughter at him as I smiled and said "Have a nice day." See what I did there? I told you a horror story about the comic shop featuring someone who isn't even into comic books. Bam!

Note: He did call the owners and said something along the lines of "the tattooed guy was a big meanie to me." The owners did nothing because I guess he started his "yellings" by calling them losers as well. Way to go!

2. You Become Kings/Queens of Broad Generalizations

All Flash cosplayers come out blurry in photos
All Flash cosplayers come out blurry in photos

Everyone that came into that store had a character or concept they loved. Whether it be Wolverine, Batman, Spawn, or whatever, they loved a certain thing to a varying degree. Once you know what a certain repeat customer loves, your first impression of all customers who are into that character is the same.

Here's an example: Cop Bob LOVES Batman. Seriously, it's like his favorite thing in the universe, and he was even an extra in a couple of the films, as a Gotham City Police Officer. Cop Bob was one of my favorite customers and a super nice guy. Because, as a comic shop employee, I'm pretty illogical on the "what are customers like" front, in my mind, because Cop Bob was awesome, all Batman fans became awesome, even if they were horrible people. Retail sometimes dulls your senses.

On the reverse side of things, Sonic Girl, as mentioned above, was really into Sonic The Hedgehog. In fact, that's all she ever bought. Sonic Girl has this magical ability to yell at me every time I bumped into her because we were out of Sonic comics we didn't have on the shelf. I'd special order books for her and tell her it needs to be on her pull list to guarantee her a copy, but she's refuse to do so, even though she had a pull list. She was pretty dang mean, so therefore, all Sonic fans became the worst to me, which makes no logical sense, but that's just how my brain worked then.

1. Customers Have the Magic Ability to Know When You're Busy

Source: Library of Congress
Source: Library of Congress

It's safe to say that customers are magic creatures with mystical powers that are the unicorns of the real world. There's no other way to explain the fact that they only need help when you're in the middle of something. I'm sure there's some sort of scientific study out there which says that people are more apt to asking for help when the person they're asking looks busy, but I'm just too lazy right not to see if that's a thing.

Not a day went by, at the shop, where I'd be in the middle of counting new issues, or some other task, and a customer needed me to help them with their shopping list of books. This never happened during moments when I was staring into the ether though. It only happened when I was super-busy. You're probably thinking, "that all goes back to that fake scientific that may or may not exist!" Well, this also happened over the phone. During moments where I was on a deadline to get something done, someone would call with a laundry list of books for me to check out. It's like I put some sort of bizarre pheromone out into the the world, which also travels through phone lines, and it results in people being attracted to the store. They also know when you are working alone and really have to pee. Customers are a mysterious creature.

There you have it. What have we learned? Well, working in a comic shop is a job and there are good times and bad times. Pre-ordering comics is awesome. Customers are all super-powered beings. LCS employees have no creativity and make broad generalizations... see what I did there?

If you've ever worked in a comic shop, let us know what you learned. Also, follow me on Twitter and tell me how wrong I am about everything.

Avatar image for timelordscience
TimeLordScience

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Sonic fans are the worst lol. No need to apologize.

CoryNick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

Great article Mat!

rollingshadow7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

(He never looked at the agic cards by the way)

did you mean Magic?

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By the_stegman  Moderator

I used to work at a comic shop, I hated it.

Way too much work, I had to count inventory twice a day, and there's A LOT of it, tournament nights were hell. I had to answer questions about board and trading card games that I didn't know.

The customers, while mostly normal, sometimes were just weird and so nerdy, that it even shocked me.

I hated the managers, they were all smug and annoying.

I quit after two months...still shop there though.

w0nd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By w0nd

Go to IGN and check out the sonic boards. It will back up your claim to them being the worst :) and this is coming from a guy who has a sonic shrine in his room. It's a guilty pleasure....I know what I am a part of :P

Mucklefluga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

Awesome read. There needs be a weekly article where you tell us a horrific LCS story. You could call it Mat's Super Angry LCS Story of the Week.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c901e667a76c
deactivated-5c901e667a76c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I can confirm this because I used to be one.

WarDishy_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Entertaining AND informative. Well done!

inferiorego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 inferiorego  Staff

Awesome read. There needs be a weekly article where you tell us a horrific LCS story. You could call it Mat's Super Angry LCS Story of the Week.

I actually was thinking of doing that but I only have like 6 horror stories, including one that became my "closer" while I was doing comedy.

SevanGrim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 49

User Lists: 9

important truth.

lagozzino

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#11  Edited By lagozzino

In regards to number 6, there's a very popular local store here that seems to be run in pretty much the opposite way from what you describe. The workers are pretty much always just sitting around reading comics or watching stuff on YouTube. Picture a line of 2 or 3 people waiting for a cashier to finish reading a scene before he serves them. But alas, they've got the most extensive stock in all the city so sometimes I have to go there to find something I need...

J_HickmanIsGod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By J_HickmanIsGod

i enjoyed this reading this a lot.

i always wondered how awesome it would be to work at a comic shop but also knew like every job there were sh&tty moments.

Luckily my LCS is a solid place to visit and talk and just hang out. lucky me :)

bunkerbuster05

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By bunkerbuster05

Also a comic book shop employee in LA, at one of the most popular shops in the city.

I definitely NEVER have time to read comics. I meet tons of cool people, including many many creators. Sterling Gates visits frequently, as do some other guys. The creator of Butterfly came in yesterday and was thrilled we had copies of his book. He signed a bunch for us.

People wonder why we don't have smaller comics, its because you don't preorder them or tell us you want it. We don't order things if people aren't telling us to; its a business.

We have a few crazy people, for sure. The ones who'll talk your ear off when you are loaded with work to do. The ones who try to haggle prices with you. The absolute worst thing for me is people reading comics in the store. Flip through it, check it out. Don't read the entire thing. I had a guy read AN ENTIRE TRADE in the back, trying to be sneaky about it. Please don't.

I'll be honest, working at a comic store is NOT nearly as fun as you'd imagine. I am stressed more often than not, but its still rewarding enough. Still better than a fast food job!

Manhunter2070

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Pretty much what I figured a Sonic fan would be like.

BubbaDuke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By BubbaDuke

The comic shop posted posted in the article picture is my comic shop I go to in Geneva, IL. Thats crazy haha

Avatar image for amazing_webhead
amazing_webhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 20

"You Become Kings/Queens of Broad Generalizations"

That's why I stopped watching Big Bang Theory. They eat those generalizations up like candy.

inferiorego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 inferiorego  Staff

The comic shop posted in the posted in the picture is my comic shop I go to in Geneva, IL. Thats crazy haha

...It's in St Charles, IL: Graham Crackers.... where I used to, and still do, work at.

See you on Christmas Eve!

CommanderShiro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

Great article. Thanks for sharing your experiences.

Ladyonora

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Mat, I always love your articles but this one is particularly awesome. I love how you give a well rounded point of view of the comic shop environment, which became therapeutic for me lol. I sometimes feel awkward walking into my LCS for silly reasons like "I hope they don't judge me bc I'm a girl" or "I hope no one thinks I'm weird because I always buy Wonder Woman stuff." It's stupid I know but it's how I feel sometimes. I even recently expressed this to the employees there, and they laughed. Just like your article stated, they have MUCH worse and/or weird customers than I could ever be and they are happy having passionate people of all types in their store. Thank you!

mcbig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Awesome article. Format reminds me if cracked.

inferiorego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 inferiorego  Staff

Mat, I always love your articles but this one is particularly awesome. I love how you give a well rounded point of view of the comic shop environment, which became therapeutic for me lol. I sometimes feel awkward walking into my LCS for silly reasons like "I hope they don't judge me bc I'm a girl" or "I hope no one thinks I'm weird because I always buy Wonder Woman stuff." It's stupid I know but it's how I feel sometimes. I even recently expressed this to the employees there, and they laughed. Just like your article stated, they have MUCH worse and/or weird customers than I could ever be and they are happy having passionate people of all types in their store. Thank you!

Thanks for reading! I know there are stores out there with employees that are awful and mean to customers. My store was pretty rad and the people that currently work there are super nice.

There are folks out there that happen to work in shops that do think it's "weird" women buy comics and judge people based on what they buy: Fanboys. They're a quick-dying breed of fans (in the real world at least) because the culture has changed a TON in the past 10 years and if you or any of your comic reading friends have this experience, stop shopping there. Yelp about them... etc

Luckily, it looks like you go to a store where the employees are pretty rad. I will say, however, I judged the hell out of people who didn't say "hi" back to me when I welcomed them to the store. That's just rude.

cattlebattle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You should try working in an Adult Variety Center....surrender to a world of pure unconventionality right there.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d2b83d5a0d79
deactivated-5d2b83d5a0d79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mucklefluga said:

I actually was thinking of doing that but I only have like 6 horror stories, including one that became my "closer" while I was doing comedy.

It could be a limited series.

vandinejd_1991

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

@inferiority: I am so jealous of you. You have had two jobs that I would consider being my ultimate dream job: working at a LCS and being a writer for Comicvine.

ToneLoaf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mcbig said:

First thing I tought when read the title was ''Have I clicked on the wrong tab?''.

inferiorego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By inferiorego  Staff

@inferiority: I am so jealous of you. You have had two jobs that I would consider being my ultimate dream job: working at a LCS and being a writer for Comicvine.

but not a teacher?

@toneloaf said:

@mcbig said:

First thing I tought when read the title was ''Have I clicked on the wrong tab?''.

Yeah. They're the king of lists and their format works. Lots of sites use it. I have no problems saying I'm trying their format on for size. As far as lists go, I have occasionally been doing list articles, from time to time since 2009 here.

nickthedevil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have a few stories to tell you about working at a Clinic/Hospital, let me tell you what.

bladewolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By bladewolf

Interesting article, I liked seeing this perspective.

Krypton-115

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Awesome article Mat. I mainly order comics online since there aren't a lot of comic book shops here in The Netherlands, but me and my brother are going to sniff some out in a couple of weeks.

IrishX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

6 &1...

If the comic shop workers are busy at all times then when a customer needs help won't that be "when your busy"?

ILLO_29

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This is a great article and a well timed one. I'm a graphic artist that works for a large food machine manufactuer and I've been toying with the idea of starting a comic/hobby gaming store on and off for about four years now. I've gotten much more serious about it and it may become a reality by the spring of next year. There's a lot of great stuff to think about in this article and I'm glad to say none of it surprised me to much so I must have pretty good idea of what to expect.

A tales form the shop weekly article would be a great read by the way.

No for the shameless self-promotion. If anyone lives in or around the Troy, Ohio area head on over to my Facebook page and give it a like. Let me know what you would like to see in a new area comic/hobby gaming store. www.facebook.com/purecomicsstore

DonFelipe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 8

@krypton-115 said:

Awesome article Mat. I mainly order comics online since there aren't a lot of comic book shops here in The Netherlands, but me and my brother are going to sniff some out in a couple of weeks.

There's one in Amsterdam called Hank or Henk and another one in Aachen that's called "Bäng Bäng Comics" just in case you live near the border. Both stores had US comics when I was there. Good luck!

KittyParker13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This was really interesting to read.

BubbaDuke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@inferiorego: Yea it is in St. Charles my mistake. I always say Geneva because it's right down the street from Geneva commons.

inferiorego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 inferiorego  Staff

@inferiorego: Yea it is in St. Charles my mistake. I always say Geneva because it's right down the street from Geneva commons.

I'm very territorial about the tri-cities.

Mrnoital

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

if every customer has an unclever nick name I guess I'm "looks at his pull list, then circles the store several times looking for anything else he wants guy"

Avatar image for thelastwarchild
thelastwarchild

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Great, great article. I just love it. A lot of memories came back reading you.

ScrappyDont27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

99% positive I'm the "turtle" guy at my shop

MK5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

Great article. My second thought of the red wig picture was that Mat was Chucky to portray worst people. Looks like he's blushing. :)

StarWatcher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

A couple of lines under the glorious photo of you in a Brave wig, it says "As you've probably saw on the internet". Oops! Just thought I'd point it out. :)

I've never worked in a comic shop but I have worked in retail (in a pet shop, and let me tell you, I have many hilarious and ridiculous stories) so I can relate to some of that stuff, mainly customers needing your help only when you are super busy! Hahaha.

Really fun article.

StarWatcher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Girl I know the feeling, the thing about feeling awkward for being a girl at first!

I had been buying my comics only online and in general book shops (for european comics) for a really long time before actually getting together the courage to go to a comic book store. I felt it was so out of place for a girl, and I was afraid of seeming either pretentious or get labeled "wannabe geek girl".

Then I went really casually and never to the same one, I was that shy about it! I never got any weird vibes or reactions though, so eventually I stuck to one shop and I love it there now. I'm very familiar with the staff and they're awesome, it's so nice to chat with them and they know me now, plus there are 3 girls who work at that shop, that helped a lot at first.

I'm glad you found your good place too. :)

greenlucario

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Awesome article, there are so many life lessons that can be gained from working in retail. I worked in retail for the last three years (before getting out recently) and some of the stuff you said about the customers always finding you at the busiest times and of course the story about the rude guy brought back memories. I worked in customer service and probably have been called every colorful name in the English language once or twice and had many of the "I'm going to call and complain to someone higher up" threats despite just doing my job. Sounds like a cool shop you worked at.

dreamfall31

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

I'm also a movie theater idiot employee and we have dumb nicknames for all our regulars.

foxx_wertas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 2

Working at my Local Comic shop I agree a millions times with all of this.
We don't do a whole lot wih the nicknaming customers since we have a pull list that is filed by name so we're lucky enough to know a lot of their names already. I can say for sure though that if you told '10 year old' me that in about 20 years he'd be working at a comicbook store.. he'd pass out!

The_Titan_Lord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By The_Titan_Lord

Nice.

Avatar image for deactivated-5da1bf32237f0
deactivated-5da1bf32237f0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

That was actually an awesome article. I imagine working at a comic book shop isn't the picnic that a lot of people hope it would be--the same more than likely goes for GameStop.

I have to confess, though, I stopped going to my local comic shops. I like digital comics too much.

ThorBoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Cosplay as captain America one time at Albany comic con and you become the "captain America "guy. Nothing wrong with that.

Great article. I don't have a pull list but I rush over to my LCS every Wednesday at lunchtime.

WheatStalker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah, really great article. There's like three girls that work at my local shop. It's a big place, though, with lots of merchandise, plus it's inside a mall, so a lot of female customers, even some who buy comics. Yesterday a girl got there at the same time I did, she had a Marvel shirt, mine was Star Wars. It's really fun to see other people who love the same things I do. I'm a pretty recent regular to the store, so I bet I don't have a nickname, yet ... maybe "t-shirt guy" since I have a crazy frickin' addiction to TeeFury.