3 Reasons Guardians of the Galaxy is a much better movie after Vol. 2 and Infinity War

mrmonster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By mrmonster

Before I begin, let me say that Guardians of the Galaxy was already a fantastic movie, 9/10. Not only is it one of my favorite MCU movies, it's one of my favorite superhero movies period.

I rewatched it for the first time in at least 2 years last night, and I enjoyed it more than ever. With everything we know now, it's a much better movie, here are 3 reasons why.

1. The opening scene where Peter Quill's mother dies (an already heartbreaking moment) is so much more emotional when you're aware that it's cold blooded murder, especially when she starts talking about how much she loved Ego. Now that is depressing.
  2. After Infinity War, the scenes involving Thanos become so much more powerful. Once you really know who he is and what motivates him, his scenes in the movie become so much better.
  3. And most importantly, Yondu is a much better character when you know his real motivations. At first glance, Yondu is a total ****. But when you realize who he really is, everything about him makes so much more sense. When the other Ravagers accuse him of being soft on Quill, you know that he really is, and it's because he views Star-Lord as a son. When you hear about how he stopped Peter from meeting his father, you realize that he wasn't a selfish **** just out to make a quick buck by sending Quill into holes too small for him, you realize he is a hero who saved Star-Lord from Ego. When I first saw Guardians of the Galaxy, I wanted to punch Yondu in the face. Rewatching it, I wanted to give Yondu a high five.

If it's been a while since you've seen Guardians of the Galaxy, I encourage you to watch it again. I think you'll appreciate the movie even more after everything that's happened since.

KanyeCosby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I agree. I also really liked Vol 2.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f5eba8f0a2dd
deactivated-5f5eba8f0a2dd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Guardians 1 is my favourite CBM, agree with everything you said.

Amcu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It was a brilliant film. And shocked me because I thought it would be lame.

Kevd4wg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Guardians 1 is fantastic, one of my favorite CBM. Guardians 2 on the other hand, lost everything special about Guardians one

Mutant1230

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

@theamazingspidey

What do you think of this? Considering your vastly different opinions on GoTG 2 and Infinity War?

Avatar image for theamazingspidey
TheAmazingSpidey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

@mutant1230: thanks for the tag!

As for the post itself, I get where OP is coming from, but for the most part, I didn't share the same experience:

1. The Ego twist is something they came up with after the fact and nothing in the first Guardians hinted toward it, so it doesn't enrich my experience of Meredith's death in the first movie. In the same way the "I am your father twist" doesn't improve ANH in my opinion.
  2. I agree with the Thanos one. Thanos in Infinity War was instantly iconic, so now when I watch GoTG, I see "this generation's Vader" as opposed to just "another cameo from a villain I don't care about."
  3. Eh. That parental angle with Ego in Vol. 2 didn't work for me at all. It felt forced and just shy of being a retcon.

Anyway, this is just my personal experience. You aren't wrong!

mrmonster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Bump

Avatar image for deactivated-60957cbcbe0f1
deactivated-60957cbcbe0f1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Amazing movie. One of my favorites for sure.

Epicyon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm a super minority because I didn't like the movie. Still haven't really watched it, never focused always on my phone, only part that caught my interest was the prison part. In general I just can't like the guardians

jb681131

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I for my part found the first movie ridiculus and the worst marvel has done after Thor 1&2.

Sure it's better avec seing vol.2 and Infinity War, but it stays a bad movie.

I truelly don't see why some Marvel movie get so much likings.

ganon15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If only Thanos in that movie looked the way he did in Infinity War