15-Year-Old Black Girl Replaces Tony Stark as Iron Man

inferiorego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 324

User Lists: 12

Edited By inferiorego  Staff

In the aftermath of Civil War II, there will be a new Iron Man: Riri Williams. The teenage tech genius will be taking over the role of Marvel's iconic character in the fallout of Marvel's summer event. However, just because someone else is taking over the mantle that doesn't mean readers know how it is all going to play out.

No Caption Provided

Writer Brian Michael Bendis revealed the major change, which will affect the current title Invincible Iron Man. Williams has already appeared in the series multiple times. Williams reverse-engineered her own Iron Man suit of armor in her dorm at MIT. This caught the attention of Tony Stark.

In an interview with Time, Bendis discussed the creation of the character and how she came to be: "One of the things that stuck with me when I was working in Chicago... was the amount of chaos and violence. And this story of this brilliant, young woman whose life was marred by tragedy that could have easily ended her life--just random street violence--and went off to college was very inspiring to me. I thought that was the most modern version of a superhero or superheroine story I had ever heard."

Marvel has been developing and creating a more diverse roster at the company, including characters who come from all walks of life. However, Bendis realizes there will still be criticism attached to adding a new black character to Marvel's already deep roster.

"I don't think people even realize how racist they sound. I'm not saying if you criticize you're a racist, but if someone writes, 'Why do we need Riri Williams; we already have Miles?' that’s a weird thing to say. They're individuals just like Captain America and Cyclops are individuals. All I can do is state my case for the character, and maybe they'll realize over time that that’s not the most progressive thinking."

Recently, Marvel has also revealed some promotional art for the upcoming Fall books. Williams is on the frontline on the right side of the piece, in a gray Iron Man suit.

No Caption Provided

"Talking to any of the older creators, it’s the thing they said they wish they’d done more of--reflecting the world around them" explained Bendis. "Now, when you have a young woman come up to you at a signing and say how happy she is to be represented in his universe, you know you’re moving in the right direction."

Neither Bendis or Marvel have revealed a specific timeline for when Williams will take flight. At this time, she'll be donning the iconic armor in a post-Civil War II Marvel Universe this fall.

dondave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

What an incendiary title.

I love it.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c901e667a76c
deactivated-5c901e667a76c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I have a feeling the comments on this article are going to keep me (and the other mods) busy.

TrueMarvel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By TrueMarvel

As an African American... This is not how I want to be represented in comics. Miles Morales is the standard. But if this is another Thor Girl in disguise I am done with Marvel

Edit: To clarify, The way miles gained the title of spider-man was organic, natural, and a joy to read. He EARNED the title. The way Thor girl gained the title represents everything wrong with Marvel comics today. Events that aim to gain attention and anger rather than writing a full fledged story

The way Falcon gained the Cap title is fine-ish(draining cap of the soldier serum shouldn't have aged him). The way Khan gained the Ms. Marvel title is fine. But Cho(hulk) and Jane (Thor)? They suddenly APPEARED out of the blue with no real explanation for why their predecessors could no longer carry the mantle.

dondave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By dondave

As an African American... This is not how I want to be represented in comics. Miles Morales is the standard. But if this is another Thor Girl in disguise I am done with Marvel

Avatar image for deactivated-631c3102b31d4
deactivated-631c3102b31d4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If you dislike this, well too bad, suck it up, because if you criticize it, you're a racist.

Blackmail, I love it.

ArtThief

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Oh god no.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d2b83d5a0d79
deactivated-5d2b83d5a0d79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Come on, where is our black gay girl transexual wheelchair bound character????

Getting pissed off.

marvel is racist, sexist, anti-gay, anti-trans, and anti-disability for this

comicace3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

I'm looking at the picture now...is Sam also replaced?

TheSpoiler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 6

As I said in another thread:

Rather than whining & b*tching with barely any information like everyone else, I'm gonna wait and see where they go with this before I make up my mind/opinion on it.

I will say though, I have been losing interest in the Iron Man book for a while, and this is something that actually makes me curious & interested again. I also like her character design.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@farkam said:

Getting pissed off.

Did you really neglect mentioning people who sexually identify as attack helicopters? You need to check your privileges.

Black_Arrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

HAHAHAHA.

mrkareemruiz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

I like Riri, hope the book is good. We know the art will be amazing.

Avatar image for deactivated-613e82c4b95f9
deactivated-613e82c4b95f9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 201

The new chief editor at Marvel.

herewegoagain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By herewegoagain

@truemarvel said:

Edit: To clarify, The way miles gained the title of spider-man was organic, natural, and a joy to read. He EARNED the title. The way Thor girl gained the title represents everything wrong with Marvel comics today. Events that aim to gain attention and anger rather than writing a full fledged story

The way Falcon gained the Cap title is fine. The way Khan gained the Ms. Marvel title is fine. But Cho(hulk) and Jane (Thor)? They suddenly APPEARED out of the blue with no real explanation for why their predecessors could no longer carry the mantle.

people barely even like miles, (he's in my top ten, but the hate for him is real and alive out there lol)

this new ironman is pushing it.

inferiorego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 324

#16 inferiorego  Staff

@xwraith said:

I have a feeling the comments on this article are going to keep me (and the other mods) busy.

I'm sorry. I'm so so sorry.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@farkam said:

Getting pissed off.

Did you really neglect mentioning people who sexually identify as attack helicopters? You need to check your privileges.

give her a helicopter wheelchair and she'll be the new professor x

LpnQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If you dislike this, well too bad, suck it up, because if you criticize it, you're a racist.

Blackmail, I love it.

Bl00dwerK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

I love the X-Men!

Sly_141

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Marvel has officially jumped the shark. Why not just make new characters...

John-PH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Just check my calendar, and April fools day was 2 months ago

WAM-Hope

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

As I said in another thread:

Rather than whining & b*tching with barely any information like everyone else, I'm gonna wait and see where they go with this before I make up my mind/opinion on it.

I will say though, I have been losing interest in the Iron Man book for a while, and this is something that actually makes me curious & interested again. I also like her character design.

I'm with you. The only thing that trule bothers me is that is a relaunch so soon. I mean, the original Marvel now didn't relaunch Wolverine and the X-Men or Avengers Assemble, just labeled part of it in their current issues. I don't see why they can't do that here.

On a side note, I'm also sad that recently I have only seen haters.

BR_Havoc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

That title is funny because that is pretty much how Bendis pitched the idea. Riri a character that has no back story or fan base so let's market her age and race.

TrueMarvel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

And yes I am definitely not digging the fact she looks like a de-aged Misty Knight. Does marvel know that not all black women look alike. Hell does comics in general? The New DC power girl, Misty Knight and this girl All look exactly alike...

jsawyerjj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By jsawyerjj

@truemarvel: I'm really starting to hate Marvel. Also, as a black man and a writer, I hate how Marvel is not creative enough to create good characters of other ethnicities. It's so lazy to take a well know character and just "black face" them and expect black people to happy or satisfied with it.... To quote Jason Momoa, F^&k Marvel".

TheExile285

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 4

What's up with that article title? Why couldn't have been "15 year old girl" or "15 year old genius"?

Anyway, its hard for me to get invested in current Marvel stuff when it seems there is no telling if or when they will just abruptly replace someone. War Machine dies due to stupid event writing but instead of replacing Rhodey, this new girl replaces Tony? Why?

Yeah, I'm just gonna stick with the MCU.

SkullKnight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wow, this is terrible. They continue to mess everything up... first Thor, now this!

jsphsmth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Interesting. I am not a Marvel fan so I could not care less about their decision. I am interested in seeing how these changes may possibly change the demographics of comic readers. Will the new fans these moves are meant to attract long-term outweight the fans that may leave?

Saint_Talker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

How's all that hair going to fit in that helmet?...

TrueMarvel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By TrueMarvel

That moment when you realize the MCU is a better representation of Marvel than Marvel comics are.

CaptainHoopla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have no problem whatsoever with Marvel pushing for new and more diverse characters, in fact I applaud them for it. My applause stop when it comes at the expense of classic legacy characters. This isn't for me and that's fine, I never have a problem spending my comics budget. I just hope this sells well so it's not all for nothing.

2cool4fun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

No Caption Provided

gokuss4z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Another day another controversial character change.

2cool4fun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#37  Edited By 2cool4fun

@theexile285 said:

What's up with that article title? Why couldn't have been "15 year old girl" or "15 year old genius"?

Anyway, its hard for me to get invested in current Marvel stuff when it seems there is no telling if or when they will just abruptly replace someone. War Machine dies due to stupid event writing but instead of replacing Rhodey, this new girl replaces Tony? Why?

Yeah, I'm just gonna stick with the MCU.

Probably because they're not only changing Iron Man's gender, but his race as well.

And probably to get attention, because a black young woman, is the opposite of an older white male, probably the only thing Bendis saw when he created this new "iron man"

jsawyerjj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@theexile285: When he autographed a picture of himself as Aquaman to a fan.

http://collider.com/jason-momoa-fuck-marvel-aquaman-poster/

SaintWildcard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

I bet she stole the armor

dondave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

How's all that hair going to fit in that helmet?...

I didn't even think of that.

Avatar image for uncanny_xfactor
Uncanny_XFactor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#41  Edited By Uncanny_XFactor

I'm gonna get so much hate for this. But it has to be said.

*cracks knuckles*

Marvel has taken a nose dive these last few years. I'm starting to be ashamed to go out in public and say I'm a Marvel fan. I'm not opposed to her age or her race or anything like that, but the fact that she literally came out of nowhere and is now going to be IRON MAN!!! What the hell is going ON at Marvel as of late? This is garbage! Garbage, I tell you! And if anyone disagrees, please let me know. I'd love to know any possible delusionary upsides to Marvel as of late.

Seriously. Show me anything good in this article besides "generic change". I'm begging for anything good as for 'this' change or really any of Marvel's recent announcements.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jsawyerjj: Some people at Marvel can pull it off well enough, I mean, look at The Ultimates.

However, since noone accused Bendis of being a good writer, I wouldn't hold my breath on this one.

Also, I'd edit out that swear word.

gokuss4z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

One question tho why does she have to be 15 why not a grown woman?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Marvel is either purposefully, or through arrogance and idiocy, sabotaging the prospects of new minority superheroes with shallow stunts like this. "Hey we made a TERRIBLE minority character, that will replace a much BELOVED character, and anyone who doesn't like it is worse than Hitler. If it fails, at least we get to say I told you so, cuz' minorities don't sell cause comic readers are just a bunch of racists!"

Selling comics by pissing off your fanbase is pathetic.

Wandering_Wand

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Wandering_Wand

All Disney/Marvel are doing is playing the PC/SJW crowd. It's annoying. Create new and organic characters instead of just abruptly changing the race and gender of these established heroes. It's just irritating because I would like to see a genuine black superhero that's new and refreshing, but this is just a slap in the face. It's lazy and is Bendis and team trying to make political statements that aren't necessary.

And one last thing, is Riri 15? I see stories all over about how shes a "BLACK WOMAN" but if it were a white 15 year old, those stories would read "white girl."

Koays

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm Black, So it's ok for me to hate this uninspired race pandering sh*t excuse for a creative direction. It's clear to me that Marvel just doesn't want to write about the characters it has.

Also, I totally made this.

jsawyerjj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@burningmartian: I stand corrected on both parts. Ultimates is really good! And I will edit the F bomb out. Got a little emotional there! LOL!

Wandering_Wand

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@theexile285: Either Momoa is a die hard DC fanboy, or its just his way of saying DC is making their entrance to the film world. Really, who cares? Marvel has been digging at DC every chance they get as of late, so oh well.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I bet she stole the armor

She got shot by some white gangsters, and she used her MIT skills to build a betterer armor then Tony, and now she is going to beat his white, cisgendered arse up and down da blok.

TheExile285

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

@wandering_wand: I was mostly just curious if they had done something that personally upset him.