Nicholas Scratch Brings A Meteor To Earth(Fantastic Four#18)

Andromeda1001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Andromeda1001

Nicholas Scratch brings a huge meteor from outer space in Fantastic Four(2022)#18.

Which Franklin theorized that might be potentially from beyond the observable universe:

No Caption Provided

So, I try to use ChatGPT to calculate Nicholas' showing. I assume the asteroid was the size of a car and the distance was 46.5 billion light-years(The comoving distance from Earth to the edge of the observable universe). This is what I got:

No Caption Provided

Then I tried to compare that with the energy yielded in the Tsar Bomb, which got me this result:

No Caption Provided

I also asked ChatGPT to calculate how much territory of Earth would be destroyed by that amount of power, and got a value extremely superior to the energy required to wipe out the surface of Earth:

But again, I know shit about math and physics. I'm completely trusting ChatGPT on this one here. If someone can see if the calculations are correct or/and what to change, I'd be very thankful.

Andromeda1001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

rajjarsalt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By rajjarsalt

9 x 10 to the negative 17 J? That's gotta be like a fruit fly trying to throw a punch lol.

Normally kinetic energy is the way to go, but using distance gives FTL speed. Likely it slowed down upon entering the Earth. I'd go off an estimate of the asteroid's size and use re-entry speed.

Andromeda1001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rajjarsalt said:

9 x 10 to the negative 17 J? That's gotta be like a fruit fly trying to throw a punch lol

As I said, I know almost nothing of the subject. What are your thoughts on the calculation overall?

rajjarsalt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By rajjarsalt
@andromeda1001 said:

@rajjarsalt said:

9 x 10 to the negative 17 J? That's gotta be like a fruit fly trying to throw a punch lol

As I said, I know almost nothing of the subject. What are your thoughts on the calculation overall?

ChatGPT did a goofy. If Tsar bomba is roughly 10^15 energy, then it is closer to around 10^32 meteors (each 10^-17 J energy).

This is because of the product rule -> 10^-17 x 10^32 = 10^15, as -17 + 32 = 15. The AI switched these around

Andromeda1001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rajjarsalt: I see, thanks for the correction. If I may ask, what would the final product be like?

Andromeda1001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rajjarsalt: I see, thanks for the correction. If I may ask, what would the final product be like?

Zetsu-San

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

rajjarsalt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It would be infinitesimal, like a grain of sand - only micro-organisms could feel such energy. But that's not because of the feat, it's because of the method used, which yields a number of nine divided by a hundred quadrillion.

The gravity from the Earth and something that is outside the observable universe would always be a$$, as gravity is stronger the closer things are together.

For Nick Scratch to actually do something like this, he'd have to push the asteroid beyond the light barrier. Which would imply relativistic kinetic energy, infinite energy.

Andromeda1001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Andromeda1001

@rajjarsalt: For Nick Scratch to actually do something like this, he'd have to push the asteroid beyond the light barrier. Which would imply relativistic kinetic energy, infinite energy.

Thanks, again. So is one of those showings that can't be actually calculated then? Since I believe those asteroids would likely be moving at FTL speeds, given it likely came from beyond the observable universe in approximately no more than a minute or so.

@zetsu-san said:

@andromeda1001: Calcs… cringe

You did calcs against Waste once, geez.

Andromeda1001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rajjarsalt: Normally kinetic energy is the way to go, but using distance gives FTL speed. Likely it slowed down upon entering the Earth. I'd go off an estimate of the asteroid's size and use re-entry speed.

Well, I'm not sure if this adds anything, but Marvel.com stated that said asteroid threatened all life on Earth:

No Caption Provided

Zetsu-San

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zetsu-san said:

@andromeda1001: Calcs… cringe

You did calcs against Waste once, geez.

I wasn’t trying to calc the amount of energy of an attack, like that’s something taken into consideration. I simply asserted that most of the matter in the known universe could fit within the size of the explosion we were shown, and did a quick calc to show that I wasn’t off the mark in stating that.

Andromeda1001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zetsu-san said:

I wasn’t trying to calc the amount of energy of an attack, like that’s something taken into consideration. I simply asserted that most of the matter in the known universe could fit within the size of the explosion we were shown, and did a quick calc to show that I wasn’t off the mark in stating that.

Still a calc, no?

Kek.
Kek.

WastelandMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Zetsu-San

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@andromeda1001: The general purpose and level of complexity is wildly different.

rajjarsalt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By rajjarsalt
@andromeda1001 said:

@rajjarsalt: For Nick Scratch to actually do something like this, he'd have to push the asteroid beyond the light barrier. Which would imply relativistic kinetic energy, infinite energy.

Thanks, again. So is one of those showings that can't be actually calculated then? Since I believe those asteroids would likely be moving at FTL speeds, given it likely came from beyond the observable universe in approximately no more than a minute or so.

Yeah it would be like using math as an egg to make an omelette. But all hope is not lost. A planet being thrown at the speed of thought, which is MFTL = power without limit in Marvel as shown by Celestials Ziran and OAA finger pointing them at IG Thanos. Or Odin sending the remnants of dead planets at Surtur with a wave of his sword, at ~infinite speed.

rajjarsalt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By rajjarsalt
@andromeda1001 said:

@rajjarsalt: Normally kinetic energy is the way to go, but using distance gives FTL speed. Likely it slowed down upon entering the Earth. I'd go off an estimate of the asteroid's size and use re-entry speed.

Well, I'm not sure if this adds anything, but Marvel.com stated that said asteroid threatened all life on Earth:

No Caption Provided

Bruh this adds everything. Perhaps all that is truly needed, even.

No Caption Provided

rajjarsalt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By rajjarsalt

Honestly, mystic debaters + calcs seems like a fascinating combo

Andromeda1001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Andromeda1001

@rajjarsalt said:

Yeah it would be like using math as an egg to make an omelette. But all hope is not lost. A planet being thrown at the speed of thought, which is MFTL = power without limit in Marvel as shown by Celestials Ziran and OAA finger pointing them at IG Thanos. Or Odin sending the remnants of dead planets at Surtur with a wave of his sword, at ~infinite speed.

I see. Thanks for the explanation.

The point is that Nicholas himself is at the bottom of the mystical practitioners, so folks like Wanda, Loki, Amora, Strange and several others should be able to replicate this and much more. As well as the Fantastic Four. That's why I wanted to know where it stands.

@rajjarsalt said:.

No Caption Provided

Nice! Thanks for it.

@rajjarsalt said:

Do you really think so? It looks like a mess to me, lol.

Andromeda1001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rajjarsalt: How about this calculation? I used a meteor of that size, traveling at 90% of the speed of light:

Assuming the meteor retains all its mass and energy upon impact, of course. Then I tried to covert into the amount of energy from the Tsar Bomb, and got this result:

No Caption Provided

Is that correct, or did ChatGPT get it wrong again? Lol.

rajjarsalt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rajjarsalt: How about this calculation? I used a meteor of that size, traveling at 90% of the speed of light:

Assuming the meteor retains all its mass and energy upon impact, of course. Then I tried to covert into the amount of energy from the Tsar Bomb, and got this result:

No Caption Provided

Is that correct, or did ChatGPT get it wrong again? Lol.

At least the logic is sound. But yea the AI screwed up in converting the units. 4.184 x 10^9 J is 1 ton of TNT, not 1 kiloton. Megatons and kilotons also can't be compared directly either. Same level of difference between these units (1 kiloton = 1000 tons, 1 megaton = 1000 kilotons)

rajjarsalt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rajjarsalt said:

I see. Thanks for the explanation.

The point is that Nicholas himself is at the bottom of the mystical practitioners, so folks like Wanda, Loki, Amora, Strange and several others should be able to replicate this and much more. As well as the Fantastic Four. That's why I wanted to know where it stands.

@rajjarsalt said:.

No Caption Provided

Nice! Thanks for it.

@rajjarsalt said:

Haha I was first like "who the hell is this dude" but it struck me that you'd have that purpose for making the thread.

It's a fresh take imo, and it can be applied to stuff conventional calcs will never touch.

BigBaby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Zetsu-San

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Zetsu-San
@rajjarsalt said:
@andromeda1001 said:
@rajjarsalt said:

Haha I was first like "who the hell is this dude" but it struck me that you'd have that purpose for making the thread.

It's a fresh take imo, and it can be applied to stuff conventional calcs will never touch.

My issue, aside from the obvious general issues regarding calcs, is that magic in specific is NOT supposed to follow conventional sensibilities regarding quantity. The effort, the yield, the effect, none of these things are supposed to align in a way that matches our material understanding of the universe.

With magic, you can channel enough power to destroy a dimension, into an attack that's merely room level. You can punch with the force of a nuke, yet the force shakes other realms. You can throw a singular fireball that explodes and KO's someone who's planetary, yet somehow not kill any of the street or mid tiers also caught in the blast. You could be incapable of busting mountains, yet win a clash with a guy who can destroy the universe. You could be 100% street level, yet move landmasses or even entire celestial bodies. Or summon a meteor from outside the galaxy yet not be capable of applying that force to any other attack.

Andromeda1001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rajjarsalt said:

At least the logic is sound. But yea the AI screwed up in converting the units. 4.184 x 10^9 J is 1 ton of TNT, not 1 kiloton. Megatons and kilotons also can't be compared directly either. Same level of difference between these units (1 kiloton = 1000 tons, 1 megaton = 1000 kilotons)

How would the calculation go then? If I may ask.

Yea, lol. I want to use it as a measure of scaling.

Fair enough.

Andromeda1001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zetsu-san: Nicholas was simply moving the asteroids with seemingly TK, based on his words.

Zetsu-San

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Zetsu-San
@andromeda1001 said:

@zetsu-san: Nicholas was simply moving the asteroids with seemingly TK, based on his words.

I don't see how his words suggest it's only TK. Either way, I'm willing to bet there will be no other TK feats that match that level.

Andromeda1001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Andromeda1001

@zetsu-san said:

I don't see how his words suggest it's only TK. Either way, I'm willing to bet there will be no other TK feats that match that level.

It's apparently just magical TK, it's simply my personal take on it. Mostly because I frankly doubt Ryan North even thought that deeply about Nicholas Scratch's magic having that sort of outworld additional effects.

rajjarsalt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By rajjarsalt
@zetsu-san said:
@rajjarsalt said:
@andromeda1001 said:
@rajjarsalt said:

My issue, aside from the obvious general issues regarding calcs, is that magic in specific is NOT supposed to follow conventional sensibilities regarding quantity. The effort, the yield, the effect, none of these things are supposed to align in a way that matches our material understanding of the universe.

With magic, you can channel enough power to destroy a dimension, into an attack that's merely room level. You can punch with the force of a nuke, yet the force shakes other realms. You can throw a singular fireball that explodes and KO's someone who's planetary, yet somehow not kill any of the street or mid tiers also caught in the blast. You could be incapable of busting mountains, yet win a clash with a guy who can destroy the universe. You could be 100% street level, yet move landmasses or even entire celestial bodies. Or summon a meteor from outside the galaxy yet not be capable of applying that force to any other attack.

These are fair points, getting past these problems could be overreaching with the calc.

rajjarsalt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By rajjarsalt
@andromeda1001 said:

@rajjarsalt said:

How would the calculation go then? If I may ask.

@rajjarsalt said:

Yea, lol. I want to use it as a measure of scaling.

Fair enough.

Gamma constant is 1/sqrt(1-0.81) or 2.29. This is simplified because velocity is a fraction of the speed of light, and so velocity squared cancels out with the square of SoL it is being divided by, leaving only the squared fraction (0.9 x 0.9) behind.

The mass was a quadrillion kg. Speed of light and its square is known, so I just multiply these things by each other to find the solution.

Your trillion-ton meteor flying at nine-tenths the speed of light is worth 1.16 x 10^32 J.

Comparing to nukes isn't really descriptive at this point. Might as well go for the gold.

No Caption Provided
Andromeda1001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rajjarsalt: Thanks, Raj. I also asked ChatGPT how much energy is that, and it said this to me:

No Caption Provided

Is it correct?

rajjarsalt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By rajjarsalt
@andromeda1001 said:

@rajjarsalt: Thanks, Raj. I also asked ChatGPT how much energy is that, and it said this to me:

No Caption Provided

Is it correct?

Yes it's definitely accurate. Basically just under half the energy to bust the Earth